“A haven of peace and hospitality”
Review of The Waterfront

The Waterfront
Ranked #20 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I chose the Waterfront (thanks to Trip Advisor) when I found out that the hotel I had booked in Koh Samui was not suitable for me due to its noisy location and the layout of its rooms. A little research got me down the road on my scooter to check out the Waterfront - and within a few minutes I had shaken hands with Robin and he arranged for Michael to pick my gear up a little later when I had sorted it out and then I would come up on my scooter.

The Waterfront is down the end of the interesting Fisherman's Village in Bophut - a long strip of restaurants, shops, bars and other amenities - but it is away from any noisy location and I found the peace and quiet I needed. The room I chose was one of the bungalow type rooms at the back of the property - clean, tastefully furnished and with all amenities. Shower room and toilet at the back - no hot water to washbasin - this is very typical of nearly all hotels in Koh Samui. Electric shower - again this is common - but it would be nice to stay in a hotel this trip with a powerful hot shower! Sleep quality was excellent - no complaints.

Other reviewers have commented on the friendly and gracious welcome by the owners - Robin and Sue - Robin I met on my reconnaissance trip - and Sue greeted me and two other guests when I checked in a little later. I felt a little dishevelled and scruffy having hopped up the dusty road on my scooter - whereas Sue was elegant and immaculately dressed! Her welcome was warm and thorough.

This is a small family run hotel - and many of the guests at this time of year were young couples with toddlers. There is a small pool near the outside bar area which was popular with the young families. The noise of children playing round the pool by day does not bother me and they were in bed early in any case.

The hotel (as its name suggests) is right by the beach - with lovely views across the bay - and there are sun loungers and shade can be found underneath coconut palms if the sun gets y hot. You have to walk a little way (not far) to swim in the sea - this is the Gulf of Thailand not the clear waters of the Andaman Sea - but I found the water quality wasn't bad.

Breakfast was served to order - and supplied by "Cooking" the chief lady cook and a jolly soul - and was fine. Food was available through the day but not after 6:30 pm. This is not an issue as there are so many places to eat on the road at the back of the hotel. The bar stays open as long as anyone wishes to sit there - but was fairly quiet when I was there - popular at sunset and maybe for a nightcap - where you can chat to other guests if you want to.

WiFi - was free and the connection round by the main reception area was good - but a bit hit and miss in my room. This is a common problem - and of course the speed of the connection depends on the number of users - and with most people these days travelling with laptops I pads and the like - if they all decide to go on line - then there is limited bandwidth. Just an inevitable annoyance.

Travel and tour arrangements are all easily done through the front desk - and there is a local affordable laundry collection and delivery service which was really appreciated - as quite often hotel laundry prices are silly.

The downside for me was that it was more expensive than the hotel I had to vacate - still value for what I got I thought and affordable at low season prices. If it had been high season I think I would have had to think twice. Koh Samui is not cheap compared to Chiang Mai, but on a par with Phuket and Bangkok - for some things a bit more expensive than Bangkok.

I felt like a welcome guest so I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms are suitable for couples - others for families - you can see quite easily from the websit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel is located in bophut, which is a fisherman's village. The place is quiet and there are great resturants nearby. The hotel owners and staff are very very nice! The rooms are great.
I highly reccomend!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sigal H
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

As soon as we arrived at the waterfront we were made to feel welcome by Robin. We were given a welcome drink and shown to our upgraded room.
We stayed here for 5 nights and couldn't fault the hotel or the staff. The rooms were spotless and the staff couldn't do enough for you.
The views from the hotel are amazing and you can walk straight out of the hotel on to the beach on one side and the road with restaurants and bars on the other side. It couldn't be in a better location.
The pool is quite small but there are only a few rooms so it never felt like it was too busy.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank katebratt
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place really was amazing! We stayed here - January 2011 initially for a few days however we ended up staying 10 days as the hospitality was out of this world.
Robin and Sue are great hosts, nothing is too much trouble for them - happy to help where they can and always recommeding things for us to do.
Staff are great too - always very chatty and helpful.
Rooms are lovely and way beyond what I expected - so comfortable and lots of home comforts too.
We're heading back to Thailand this Christmas and New Year and will definitely stay in the Waterfront.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We've just returned from a very relaxing holiday in Thailand. The Waterfront is, as many reviewers have already testified, a real 'home from home'; nothing is too much trouble.

If you're not enamoured of 5 star corporate hotels and, like us, prefer a friendly, small establishment, set in a truly magical setting, The Waterfront is well worth a visit.

We will undoubtedly return!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2012

After spending time in Bangkok and Chiang Mai it was a pleasant surprise to find The Waterfront, a wonderful friendly oasis of calm. Sue, Robin and Michael are excellent hosts and always sat round the pool bar for a chat in the evenings, making all the guests very welcome. The location is just on the edge of the Fisherman's Village so quieter than most areas and near enough to visit the many shops and restaurants in the village. The staff are all friendly and nothing was too much trouble, the rooms were always clean and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and having visited a 5* "resort" for a wedding whilst there, we know which we would rather return to. If we were to return to Thailand we would try to stay at The Waterfront, if it is not full by all the glowing reviews it will get!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was our first visit to Koh Samui and we're so pleased we found The Waterfront. My husband and I were met by Michael at the airport on our arrival and he gave us a tour of Bophut which was good, and on arrival at the hotel Sue was there to do the welcome meeting. We were given cold facecloths and a drink on arrival which was lovely and a nice touch, now onto the hotel itself! it's a little gem, small and friendly with a great feel and atmosphere about it and you aren't just a hotel room number as Sue takes the time to talk to all of her guests and this makes it more personable, and along with Robin she always joined the guests at the pool bar each evening for a chat, with Robin giving his daily updates on how many medals the UK had won in the Olympics!!. The staff are all very helpful and I can't fault this hotel or the service we received and I understand why they get a lot of returning guests, including myself who has already booked for Easter next year and were taking our children and in-laws as well. I would highly recommend a visit to this hotel as you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JAMSTERLeeds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Thai House Beach Resort
#1 of 51 in Lamai Beach
Peace Resort
Peace Resort
#35 of 185 in Bophut

Been to The Waterfront? Share your experiences!