I chose the Waterfront (thanks to Trip Advisor) when I found out that the hotel I had booked in Koh Samui was not suitable for me due to its noisy location and the layout of its rooms. A little research got me down the road on my scooter to check out the Waterfront - and within a few minutes I had shaken hands with Robin and he arranged for Michael to pick my gear up a little later when I had sorted it out and then I would come up on my scooter.
The Waterfront is down the end of the interesting Fisherman's Village in Bophut - a long strip of restaurants, shops, bars and other amenities - but it is away from any noisy location and I found the peace and quiet I needed. The room I chose was one of the bungalow type rooms at the back of the property - clean, tastefully furnished and with all amenities. Shower room and toilet at the back - no hot water to washbasin - this is very typical of nearly all hotels in Koh Samui. Electric shower - again this is common - but it would be nice to stay in a hotel this trip with a powerful hot shower! Sleep quality was excellent - no complaints.
Other reviewers have commented on the friendly and gracious welcome by the owners - Robin and Sue - Robin I met on my reconnaissance trip - and Sue greeted me and two other guests when I checked in a little later. I felt a little dishevelled and scruffy having hopped up the dusty road on my scooter - whereas Sue was elegant and immaculately dressed! Her welcome was warm and thorough.
This is a small family run hotel - and many of the guests at this time of year were young couples with toddlers. There is a small pool near the outside bar area which was popular with the young families. The noise of children playing round the pool by day does not bother me and they were in bed early in any case.
The hotel (as its name suggests) is right by the beach - with lovely views across the bay - and there are sun loungers and shade can be found underneath coconut palms if the sun gets y hot. You have to walk a little way (not far) to swim in the sea - this is the Gulf of Thailand not the clear waters of the Andaman Sea - but I found the water quality wasn't bad.
Breakfast was served to order - and supplied by "Cooking" the chief lady cook and a jolly soul - and was fine. Food was available through the day but not after 6:30 pm. This is not an issue as there are so many places to eat on the road at the back of the hotel. The bar stays open as long as anyone wishes to sit there - but was fairly quiet when I was there - popular at sunset and maybe for a nightcap - where you can chat to other guests if you want to.
WiFi - was free and the connection round by the main reception area was good - but a bit hit and miss in my room. This is a common problem - and of course the speed of the connection depends on the number of users - and with most people these days travelling with laptops I pads and the like - if they all decide to go on line - then there is limited bandwidth. Just an inevitable annoyance.
Travel and tour arrangements are all easily done through the front desk - and there is a local affordable laundry collection and delivery service which was really appreciated - as quite often hotel laundry prices are silly.
The downside for me was that it was more expensive than the hotel I had to vacate - still value for what I got I thought and affordable at low season prices. If it had been high season I think I would have had to think twice. Koh Samui is not cheap compared to Chiang Mai, but on a par with Phuket and Bangkok - for some things a bit more expensive than Bangkok.
I felt like a welcome guest so I would recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family run, small, select and peaceful, yet only steps away from excellent restaurants, bars and boutiques.All rooms are beachfront and the view of the sea and outlying islands is spectacular. Many guests extend their stay, recommend us to others or return themselves, often to meet other guests who have now become friends. Its like coming home, they say. Lots of little touches to make you feel welcome including free pick-up and free internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Waterfront Hotel Bophut
- Waterfront Hotel Bophut
- Waterfront Bophut
- The Waterfront Ko Samui/Bophut