“Lovely little resort with a beautiful view to the beach”

Saboey Resort and Villas
Ranked #42 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay in this lovely hotel. Despite being located very close to the airport, it is not a problem as not many flights come in or go out during the day.

The rooms, in particular the villas, are clean and beautifully decorated.

The hotel is very family orientated and the staff is very friendly.

The manager is looking after you very well and is extremely knowledgeable about the highlights of Koh Samui.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank bpkrumrey

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed April 2014. Resort demanded full pre-payment, non-refundable. So I did it. Regret that immensely! For $100+ per night, a traveler expects more. Upkeep of rooms is spotty. The wood floors desperately need re-finishing or replacement.

But here is the worst: On the last night, there was an extremely NOISY party next door at a site rented to parties. Impossible to sleep. Complained to front desk that night and next morning at check out. Even spoke with manager by phone and requested the courtesy of one night stay refund. He refused. Because I had little leverage, I declined to pay my check-out charges (roughly equivalent to 1 night stay), and started to drive off to airport.

The desk clerk ran to the car, banging on it and threatening to call police. I did an immediate U turn to return and pay the bill in full. I have e-mailed the manager to try to arrange an amicable settlement, but he refuses even the smallest token gesture, saying he has video of me almost running over one of his staff and that I “…drove away from the resort without paying your account.” Both are blatant lies.

Even though I told the desk clerk I realize that the NOSIE was not her fault, manager Jonathan Feaver insists that it should be ME to apologize to the clerk, and he still claims that I did not pay my bill. What a way to run a resort! (And run away clients!)

So, while the pictures of Saboey look good (and I will say than Khun Oil, the bartender, is very attentive), I feel compelled to urge travelers to avoid Saboey and seek excellence in Samui elsewhere.

The manager has threatened to accuse me of transgressions and falsehoods, telling me “…you are not the first person in my experience that has tried to get their way with faked bad reviews….”

Hmmmm….. why were there others?????

STAY AWAY FROM SABOEY RESORT!!!!

Room Tip: NO rooms are good at SABOEY, when management service is as bad as it is!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank WhereUg0
SaboeyManager, General Manager at Saboey Resort and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

This is yet another review from the same party of guests that placed the last two reviews..

His point about how he booked are true, he should know ,he is a TRAVEL AGENT, he booked a non refundable deal which means lower prices and all hotels offer the lower priced non refundable deals with same pre payments deals . A travel agent books these deals every day ,so strange it is now a problem for him??
.It is also strange to have 3 nearly identical reviews from the same guests!!

The guest has a very different version of the night events that we had on CCTV.
He also has a very different version of the email he wrote to me to arrange an amicable settlement !!! .He email was to informed me if we did not give a full refund he would contact his 3000 agents to make sure they did not deal with Saboey resort and place bad reviews (again his words)
At no time have I threaten him with anything, despite him writing to me ,calling my staff ,managers and myself liars. The young girl at reception did not run out of the hotel and bang on the car that was driving away, he DID drive away without paying (he returned later, but the fact is, he DID drive away with out paying ).I asked him if he would like to apologize to the young girl ,as he nearly ran her over, as of course she was very shocked by what had happened , I did not insist anything.
I am proud of my resort, my staff and their professionalism. They give great service ,we do not always get it right, but admit to it when we do not. but in this case I stand 100% behind my staff because of the behavior of this guest

This is a case of a guest giving bad reviews and distorting the truth because he could not threaten my staff and the resort into giving him something.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I will save you the trouble of wondering about whether or not to stay here. DON"T!!! The only reason it got anything positive on this review was because the staff is nice and the breakfast was good, but that is where it ends. The absolute worst part was where the resort is located, at the end of the airport runaway. I'm not kidding. The airplanes were SO loud the windows in our room rattled. This started at 6am on the dot every morning and didn't stop till after 11pm. Then the "property" next door had an outdoor party that went on for hours and even made the babies cry in the next villa. The facilities were probably nice at one point but now they are run down and in need of an update. The curtains are stained and the floor is worn down. Bathroom has mold and the lighting is terrible. I can't believe this place is making it....there are SO many other choices on this island. Wish I had booked elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fizzy1991
SaboeyManager, General Manager at Saboey Resort and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

As always we try to please all our guests and our review speak for themselves .In this case the guest had a problem with a staff party from a resort three doors away from our resort which no other guests had a problem with it, so I am not sure what babies he heard. The party started at 7pm and finished long before midnight.

He informed my staff that we should have informed him about the party and my staff informed him it was a once a year party that we knew nothing about ,so of course it was not possible to inform him of something we knew nothing about and was out of our control.

The guest fails to mention the next morning he left the resort without paying his bill as he thought he should get a full refund because of the party. When the female staff at reception tried to stop him he nearly ran over her in his car. My staff contact the tourist police and the guest came back to pay his bill.

He then contact me by email to inform me that he wanted a full refund because of the party. He did not mention anything else and if we failed to give a full refund he would write a bad review.(his words)
The villa that the guest stayed in has a brand new bathroom less that two months ago with new shower unit, tiles ,floor etc and there is no mold anywhere in the bathroom. The bedroom was repainted at the same time .
There is noise from aircraft on about 50% of Koh Samui, this normally lasts about 1 minute every hour, so yes you will hear it, it also starts later than 6 am and finishes earlier than 11pm. The main fact is the guest wanted a full refund for something the resort had no control over.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were there, March 22 to March 29 2014 for one week, 11 people total, age ranging from 19 to 70. It was for a family reunion cum dad's 70th birthday. The trip was plan by myself from Canada via email correspondences with Jon, the GM and Atth the front office manager, glad to say everything was taken care by the time we arrived at the resort, check in was smooth, since we arrived early, a short wait for our rooms, but in the meantime, we enjoyed the food and drinks at the bar in the resort. Staff at Saboey were friendly and fantastic. House keeping did a great job in cleaning the rooms daily. The resort is small, had a great infinity pool over looking the beach, you can lounge around the whole day if you want to, and no worries about getting pool loungers, ample available for everyone unlike bigger resorts we have been to. Just step out of the lobby, shops and restaurants a short walking distance away, we enjoyed the food sold on the little carts that sold banana fritters; and the other of our favourite was the meat on skewers, so tasty and fresh. The food in the resort was really good too, but we did not want to restrict ourselves to just eating in the resort. I must mention that I had requested for birthday dinner for 11 of us for the night, which I must thank all the staff for their hard work for ensuring everything was set up and everyone had a great night!! And the other awesome thing is the lanterns, for a small sum of money, do let the front office arrange this for you, this has to be done at night, after 10.30pm, making sure after the last flight of the night, as you light the lanterns by the beach and release them, what a wonderful experience!! Planes do fly pretty low, but we were not bothered by it at all, you still have a great time by the pool or the beach...

We will definitely stay here again and recommend this resort to our friends. Jon and staff thank you once again and hope to be back...

Room Tip: We booked the rooms around the pool/bar area, quiet and short walk from your rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank bananamamos
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed for a week & wished we'd booked longer! We had a clean, comfortable and well appointed garden villa which was literally steps from the pool and the clean white sandy beach. The sun-loungers were very comfortable and always available, towels provided daily. The views were stunning, in particular the sunsets and Oil made us lovely mojitos in the evenings. Jon & the team's hospitality was first class; nothing was too much trouble & I was spoilt on my birthday (I wont spoil the surprise!). The Thai massage just by the resort on the beach for 200 baht (about £4 for 1 hour) was excellent and although the food in the resort is very good Jon recommended a couple of places nearby which also served good food at good prices. Car hire through the hotel was very reasonable and we had a lovely drive round the island. A trip to the Ang Thong marine park in a speedboat was great fun, though don't sit at the back if the sea is choppy unless you don't mind getting soaked! All in all we had a fantastic holiday, sorry Jon but we'll be back!

Room Tip: Choose a villa if you can though I'm sure all rooms are very good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank traceymac22
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We were in town for a friends wedding to be held at one of the bigger hotels in Bophut. We opted for a smaller resort with a better price and were pleased with Saboey. Our deluxe seaview room was spacious with lovely wood floor boards, an open shower area and glass doors opening onto a large concrete balcony. The room was decorated in a simple Thai style. The airconditioning was super cold. The gardens are nicely maintained.

The pool was lovely and there was plenty of sun lounges around. The pool bar and restaurant was handy and often rare in the smaller resorts. The Apple Mojito cocktail was my favourite. We either ate by the pool or at the bar overlooking the beautiful scenery. Sunset by the pool is a must!

Our villa on the 2nd floor was a little further back from the pool but I did notice a few poolside villas which looked like fun. The pool area was fairly quiet, everyone relaxing.

We chatted with the manager Jonathan on several occasions, he was always very approachable.

Saboey offer scooter hire and this was the first thing we did. The island is a lot of fun to scooter around. They also have an in house driver and the schedule of fees is at reception. From memory I beleive the hotel airport transfer was cheaper than the taxi counter at the airport!

Location wise the resort is on the beach and a 10 minute scooter ride from Bophut and also very close to the airport. There is a seven eleven across the road.

We prefer the intimate experience of smaller resorts, greeting the same staff members each day and not being 'lost' in a big hotel. Saboey is a great little resort for a relaxing break.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leanne_pearc
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This hotel is fantastic! The rooms are very nice and clean. The pool area and the view are awesome!! All of the staff are friendly and very helpful. The buffet breakfast is okay. I ordered tomato soup and chicken skewers for lunch one day and they were both amazing and reasonably priced. I would stay here again and I would definitly recommend it.

Room Tip: We had our own hut by the pool area and it was great. Just a few steps to the bar, pool and ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kim M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
The Privilege Hotel Ezra Beach Club
Secret Garden Beach Resort
Prana Resort Nandana
Prana Resort Nandana
#10 of 185 in Bophut

Been to Saboey Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!