“No better place to learn diving in Samui”

Discovery Dive Centre
Ranked #1 of 60 Tours in Bophut
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovery Divers is the premier 5-star PADI dive center in Koh Samui offering the highest quality of service for reasonable prices. We are one of the longest running dive shops on the island as having been in business for over 14 years and have the most experienced and respected full time dive staff in the Gulf of Thailand. Discovery is also one of the only diver centers who runs our own speedboats. We offer a full range of PADI courses from Bubblemaker, Discover Scuba diving and open water diver up to professional level divemaster training. We have full-time dive staff that speaks fluent English, German, French, Chinese, Cantonese, Japanese, Italian and Spanish. At Discovery Divers we are committed to fun and safety. We believe that the customers needs come first. This is why we have access to the widest selection of boats on the island including our own Discovery Divers speedboats and run numerous daily trips to all of the beautiful dives sites in the gulf of Thailand. We realize that it is YOUR vacation and usually can accommodate any request for courses or certified divers to go to the location you want to go on the day you want to go, with the type of boat (tour boat or speedboat)that you want to go on. We also offer photography services and rentals using top of the line Canon cameras and have console and wrist computers for use with courses or certified divers. This along with our stock of exceptional and modern dive equipment from Aqua Lung, Mares and Scubapro will make your dives safe, fun and worry free. Come by and see our dive shop, meet our staff, and see our onsite training pools, equipment room, washing area and classroom in front of the Amari Hotel in Chaweng Beach.
Hong Kong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“No better place to learn diving in Samui”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I dived with Eric's team over five days, from doing my first ever dive to my eighth dive and getting the Advanced Open Water certification from PADI. Because I went out with the team every day, I was able to observe the consistent camaraderie and professionalism of the employees. They have the operation honed to a smooth formula that enables clients to feel looked after.

Every instructor that works here is clearly fanatic about diving and it shows in the way they work. You will get the best dive possible, weather and visibility willing, because that's what the instructors want too. For example, their excitement at finding out that Sail Rock was diveable again after a month was very obvious. My instructor Axel had a bad moto accident on my second day, so Eric himself took me on that day with virtually no advance notice, while making arrangements to make sure Axel was taken care of at the hospital.

The only drawback, and there's nothing they can do about this, is the travel time to Koh Tao every day, around 1.5 hours on a speedboat each way. There are very few dive sites around Samui itself.

Visited March 2013
Eric V, Owner at Discovery Dive Centre, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
David,
Thanks for your review. I'm glad you pointed out how well our staff works together and enjoys diving. Because we are one of the only dive schools that has full-time salaried staff, we take great care in who works for us and we only want enthusiastic staff who loves to dive. Also, as we have full-time staff, they are used to working with each other everyday and work perfectly together to give all of our customers a seamless and fun experience. They are always willing to help each other out and do what's best for our customers.
As far as the drawback you mentioned about the boat ride. I am glad that you mentioned this, as our travel time on our boat of 1:30 to Koh Tao is actually the fastest of any company on Koh Samui. Just be thankful you were not on some of the other companies' boats which take 2 1/2- 4 hours each way to Koh Tao. Stoli is currently working on procuring the Discovery Divers chopper to make and even faster trip time to Koh Tao. Glad you started your diving with us and hope to see you back again soon

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Hua Hin, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Personal Service”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My son and I dove with Discovery in February, he did his PADI OW course and I accompanied him.

From the very start with numerous emails to Eric the service was excellent, fast replies and very accommodating.

My own BCD failed and they loaned me one of theirs without question and offered to try and have mine fixed locally. The owner is more concerned with quality than quantity, he will not send the boats to a different location if the visibility reports are bad, even if it means losing customers. He is able to do this as he owns his own boats. I have dove with other companies in Samui and they had a set schedule, they went to a certain dive site even if the conditions were bad.

The groups are small, 12 divers per boat.

The staff was genuinely friendly and relaxed, not putting on a show for tourists.Especially liked the practical joke Eric played on one of his DM's, all in good fun. Our DM, Joe, was great, really let us move at our own pace and recognized and responded to our needs. A small thing, but Joe rigged my gear for all dives and even fresh water washed it after the first day, something I have never received at other centers.

Very nice variety of sea life including a large sea turtle. Great pictures Joe!

To sum up......Small groups, personal service, friendly operator.

P.S. I rated this as Very Good because I'm pretty critical and it is nearly impossible to get an Excellent out of me :-)

Eric V, Owner at Discovery Dive Centre, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Blaine,

Thanks for the review. Personal service is one of our strongest attributes here at Discovery. Whether it be helping you with your equipment or pacing the courses and diving. Also, because we realize that diving from Koh Samui is not cheap, we try to offer the best experience that we can and try to pick the best dive sites for the day. Although we cannot be 100% right with Mother Nature in the mix (unitl I am finished with my weather machine) we do what we can. We find that most customers appreciate us being straight with them on what the conditions are and leaving it for another day rather than sugar coating everything and having experiences lower than our customers expectations. We hope to see a lot down here as you are not too far away. Just wondering, how many whale sharks would have had to appear to get the "excellent" rating? We will have to work on that next time :)
Miami, Florida, United States
“Perfect 1st experience”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I were on our honeymoon, and decided to end our trip in Koh Samui the 2nd week of February 2013. We knew we could not leave the country without trying to scuba dive in one of the world's best locations to do so. There are many companies that offer the same services in this area of Thailand, and all for similar prices, it all comes down to who you can trust. When we called Discovery, we immediately felt comfortable with service and explanation over the phone of how our day would be. The entire staff, starting with Eric V (owner), our brilliant instructor Arnould, and all the other instructors, made our first dive unforgettable. We had only budgeted for a one day dive, and with that one day, they make sure you get exactly what you are expecting and are paying for. They even registered our dive with PADI incase we wanted to continue getting our license in America. Not only that, they make you feel comfortable every step of the way, making you confident that the experience will go smoothly. The lunch was pretty damn good too; that's after taking lots of other tours and eating the same horrible tour food...this food was pretty exceptional. We could not have made a better decision going with Discovery. I'm sure there are other companies that are good too, but if anyone asked me for a recommendation, I would point them this way.

Eric V, Owner at Discovery Dive Centre, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
David,
Thanks for the review. With diving we feel it is very important that especially beginning divers feel comfortable with everything before getting in the water. We're glad that you had a good time and we never get tired of the rave reviews of the food on our Discovery speedboat. I always show them to our cooks (Chay and Dow), and maybe they are starting to get a little bit of an ego.
What you failed to mention is that you also helped us with a little joke on one of our staff. It went over great and we thank you for your participation. I know you are in the movie biz, and I am going to submit you for an Oscar nomination for your acting. Hope you guys continue on to get your certification and hope to see you back here diving with us one day.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great Dive Center”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I dove 4 times with Discovery Divers while in Koh Samui and would recommend them to anyone. On my first dive my computer attached to the high pressure line blew an O ring internally and could not be easily replaced. Nick, my Dive Master, gave me a spare regulator to use and Eric, the owner, said he would take the computer to his shop and attempt to repair it. When returning from the dive Eric told me they coul not repair the computer but he attached a spair SPG to my regulator which allowed me to use my own gear for the remainder of the dives.

Nick, the DM on all of my dives, was a great guy. He was always going the extra mile for us and was a real asset to the company. He helped make our diving experience with Discovery Divers top notch.

Thanks also to Eric for a quick lesson on negotiating taxi fares! Quite helpful.

Todd Wilhelm

Visited February 2013
Eric V, Owner at Discovery Dive Centre, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Todd,

Thanks for the review. We realize that problems can happen with equipment, like happened with your computer that you brought with you. We always keep a lot of spare equipment with us, so if a customer has a problem with their own gear we try to help out as much as possible. We had 3 of us looking at your hi pressure connection to try to help you fix it, but unfortunately it was not something that we felt comfortable taking apart here and better to have the manufacturer fix it. Of course we had no problem lending you one of our SPG to use with your kit while you were here.
We hope you had a good time the rest of your trip and used the money you saved on taxis for a nice meal. We hope to see you again here.
Geneva, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing discovery under the sea”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My holidays in Thailand (koh samui) lasted 5 days. I was staying in a beautiful hotel Amari Palm Reef and luckily I found a diving center next to it. Without booked, I wanted to do my open water certification but 3 days are required to be certified open water diver. 3 days with Discovery have gone well. First day : theory + training in the pool. Second day : exercises in the sea. Last day : enjoy in Sail Rock, an extraordinary spot. Under the sea, it was like a movie or a documentary about fauna. I saw a lot of fish, corals etc.. To conclude, good atmosphere, good teachers, good food, good beer, super speedboat. Strong point, I've done my open water in French :D

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Minh D
Minh,

Thank you for your review and we're glad that you came in and did your course with us. That's great that you had a good time and of course enjoyed the beer after your dives. We have a full multi-national full time staff here so French course are no problem as well as Italian, Spanish, German, English, Thai, and of course canine (Stoli). Hope to see you again here diving with us