“great experience for novice”

Discovery Dive Centre
Ranked #1 of 60 Tours in Bophut
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovery Divers is the premier 5-star PADI dive center in Koh Samui offering the highest quality of service for reasonable prices. We are one of the longest running dive shops on the island as having been in business for over 14 years and have the most experienced and respected full time dive staff in the Gulf of Thailand. Discovery is also one of the only diver centers who runs our own speedboats. We offer a full range of PADI courses from Bubblemaker, Discover Scuba diving and open water diver up to professional level divemaster training. We have full-time dive staff that speaks fluent English, German, French, Chinese, Cantonese, Japanese, Italian and Spanish. At Discovery Divers we are committed to fun and safety. We believe that the customers needs come first. This is why we have access to the widest selection of boats on the island including our own Discovery Divers speedboats and run numerous daily trips to all of the beautiful dives sites in the gulf of Thailand. We realize that it is YOUR vacation and usually can accommodate any request for courses or certified divers to go to the location you want to go on the day you want to go, with the type of boat (tour boat or speedboat)that you want to go on. We also offer photography services and rentals using top of the line Canon cameras and have console and wrist computers for use with courses or certified divers. This along with our stock of exceptional and modern dive equipment from Aqua Lung, Mares and Scubapro will make your dives safe, fun and worry free. Come by and see our dive shop, meet our staff, and see our onsite training pools, equipment room, washing area and classroom in front of the Amari Hotel in Chaweng Beach.
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I completed a PADI course including the confined water dives before coming to Samui and planned to do the first 2 open water dives during my visit. I was staying at the Amari so it was convenient to arrange this through the Discovery Dive Center. I spoke with Eric who was quite helpful and knowledgeable. The cost was more than a normal dive for certified divers since they had to send an instructor with me to review the skills required by PADI and to log the dives. My instructor, Nicola, provided excellent guidance, and was patient and reassuring. She also took excellent photos, which I was able to purchase. Overall a great experience!

Eric V, Owner at Discovery Dive Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Michael,
I'm glad that you decided to go ahead with your diving with us as I know you were a little hesitant on finishing your course in Samui. Nicola had a great time with you also and I'm glad we were able to get the snorkeling trip in for you too. I'm sure you will enjoy the great pictures with your friends also

There are newer reviews for Discovery Dive Centre

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I had an amazing time on my open water SCUBA course. We covered all of the material in detail, and practiced all the skills until I was able to complete them perfectly and was comfortable with them. I highly recommend Discovery as they made me feel very safe!

Jacob,
We're glad that you chose Discovery for your course and that you had a great time. We really try to practice a lot in the pool to get you comfortable so that you have an even better time in the open water diving. I'm glad you got the diving in on your vacation and we wish you good luck in med school this fall. If I am ever in Philly and not feeling well, I know who to call

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have never dived before, but trying scuba diving was one of the things I really wanted to do in Thailand. Discovery Dive Centre was perfect, as they offered a free pool session so that I could try diving to see if I like it before I decided whether I wanted to book a dive tour. Also, the groups are small (maximum of 4 people to 1 instructor). Axel taught me some diving skills in the pool and was very friendly and helpful. I then booked a Discover Scuba Diving tour to Koh Tao, where my instructor was Claudio. Claudio was absolutely fantastic - he was so patient with me, especially since I am a beginner and not a good swimmer. He was always checking to make sure I was OK, and also took so many great photos during our dives. Unfortunately I didn't bring any extra money with me to leave a tip, but the staff at Discovery Dive were outstanding and they go above and beyond to provide an excellent service! Thank you so much for providing me with a wonderful diving experience!

We are glad that you had a great time with us. Believe it or not, we get as excited as you do when we see people dive for the first time and get to explore things you haven't before. As always, Claudio and the rest of our staff is always patient and very safety conscious with all of our divers. We hope to see you back soon

Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We had approached a rival dive school on samui first, it seemed okay but we were new to it, but wondering about doing a padi qualification as we had some time here.

We then happened across Discovery at Amari as we walked past to our hotel, it had a sign offering a free trial dive - this was just what i needed. We arranged to pop in the next day and me Axel who was brilliant taking us through things and building my confidence. He talked us through the options and what to expect - it really was a much better feel than the other place.

We went away to think about it, and decided on a discover scuba day trip, as I was quite nervous about being claustrophobic under water. Also I was concerned about a problem happening and me doing something wrong!!

We booked on the day and were picked up promptly... Taken a short ride to the dock, where we met our instructor for the day - again Axel :)

He was great checking in with us regularly on the boat trip. The boat was a beast, proper speed boat with three outboards - that was fun in itself.

We then got to the first dive site off Kao Tao, and he gave perfect clear guidance of what was going to happen. We took our time, no rushing which really helped me stay calm. The first dive was from the beach and there was so many fish around us...

I got a bit panicked when I realised we were quite deep and gave the sign for going up, Axel was great, calm and clear and we surfaced, he gave me space and no pressure to be okay, he was accepting that I had an anxiety going on. After discussing options I decided not to descend again, but this was fine, he worked around me which meant my partner still got to dive okay.

The second dive was after lunch and off the boat, I was willing to try again as I had time to realise it was a silly anxiety and I wanted to try it again. He explained to me how I could stop when I wanted and went through everything again clearly and calmly. He then stayed with me on the dive which meant I was not too anxious; and I was able to dive until the air was low.

The experience was amazing, the world under the surface particularly at the second location was out of this world - awesome literally and hard to take in. I would not have done it without the right approach offered by Discovery from the first meeting to the end, everything they did increased my trust in them and allowed me to have an amazing experience.
I hope to dive again and get over the anxiety of it, as I really want to see those sights again - too much mystery and beauty to take in from one day!

I recommend Discovery, and of course Axel... and of course Stoli the dog! :)

1  Thank andilad
Eric V, Owner at Discovery Dive Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Thank you for your review and I'm glad that you stuck with it on your second dive and got to see all the amazing things underwater. Axel, as well as the rest of our dive staff understands the anxiety that can come along with taking your first breaths underwater. That is why we take it slow and make sure that you being comfortable and more importantly safe is of number one importance. We also only take divers in small groups so that we can pay close attention to you during the dives.
Hope to see you again here and maybe next time you can dive with Stoli also.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We are a family with tree kids, 21,19,13. We all like to dive in various places around the world. Me end my wife has been diving since 1988. Now was the first time for the 13 year old daughter to jump in the water. Discovery dive center is the best diveshop for kids that we have visited. The instructor Axel(german/english speaking) is specialized in educating children in diving. I was very impressed with his competence in teaching my daughter and make her feel secure and confident under water.She even saw a whaleshark during her third dive. There was no problem at all with her speaking swedish,we had to do very little translation, and only in the beginning.The owner Eric focuses on high value for money and 100% customer satisfaction, which is not allways the case in this business.We have decided to return as often as possible
for further courses. Diving for us adults was also of high standards. Marine life and corals were close to similans and far better than the seychelles for example..Finally we are also very satisfied with the Amari Resort. Good value for money good mix of guests, age and nationalities.
Highly Recommended!!!!

Karlsson/Bjorklund family Sweden

1  Thank mats7552
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Mats, thank you for the review. Because we are one of the only dive shops that keeps a full-time dive staff, we are always able to meet the individual needs of our divers, whether it is a child specialist, instruction in 5 different languages, or physically challenged divers. We had a great time with your whole family and look forward to either meeting you in the Maldives this fall or seeing you back here next year