“Nice location, hotel needs updating though”
Review of Six Senses Samui

Six Senses Samui
Ranked #18 of 186 Hotels in Bophut
glasgow
“Nice location, hotel needs updating though”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were here on our honeymoon. We had pushed the boat out for the last week of our honeymoon and went for the 5+star resort over the 5star. Unfortunately by the time we got to Koh Samui the Six Senses had been downgraded to 5star.
The location is stunning but very secluded. So secluded that you are trapped to buy everything from the resort. Unfortunately everything costs 3 times more than it would in the shops. Being our honeymoon we were happy to pay this but its something you should be aware of. Beers are £5 a bottle but there is a happy hour 3-5pm at a beach bar. Wine is unfortunately very expensive at £45 a bottle but apparently this is true across all of thailand.
The room we had in our hideaway villa was beautiful.
As usual in Thailand the service staff were great.
We ate at Dining on the Rocks on our last night which was truely amazing-a real dining experience! Highly recommended and actually good value for what we had.
Unfortunately on the second last night of our stay I fell through the decking outside our villa. It was rotten and I fell straight through it getting stuck at my knee joint. Since returning home my knee has got worse and I am due to have a scan tomorrow on the infected blood clot I now have. The staff were excellent dealing with it but it put a huge dampner on what was an excellent two weeks. Not to mention I have been on antibiotics for a week and can't do any exercise until after it heals properly.
To be honest I would return to eat at Dining on the Rocks but I wouldn't stay here again

Room Tip: dont bother with the upgrade to the pool side villa as the main villa is superb. The ocean view one...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rosseaglesham
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Rosseaglesham,
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, I have shared your positive remarks with all my team, we are very happy that you enjoyed the ambiance of the resort, the good food and service. I do apologize for the incident which happened towards the end of your stay that left you with a negative feeling on what was a good stay up till this point.
I hope this experience will not deter you from trying another six senses holiday at one of our many locations. Please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com should you wish to discuss any further details.
David Ashworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wexford
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This really is the most amazing hotel.

Stayed here for eight nights in September 2011 as part of our honeymoon.(Long overdue review!) We spent alot of time researching where to go on our honeymoon, where to stay and what to do and boy did we hit on a gem with this hotel.

We arrived in Koh Samui late evening and it was already dark. Our transfer from the airport was by mini bus and when travelling through the island we were a bit unsure if we had made the right decision to go to Samui. When we arrived at the hotel we were blown away by it, its in a very quiet part of the island but yet is close enough to some of the towns/villages for shopping, dining and night life.

Hotel - on arrival we were met by our "butler"!! Yes, a butler! Each villa has a butler assigned to it and ours was Joy. She was amazing and made our stay so memorable. She couldnt do enough for guests and wanted everyone to have a great stay. She was exceptionally hard working and I hope the hotel know what a gem they have in her. She epitomised fantastic customer service and support.

While checking in we were treated to drinks on arrival, informed about all the resort had to offer and then brought to our villa where more hospitality and drinks awaited us.

Villas - the villas are amazing! When you enter on the ground floor you have a large sofa area and your private sun deck. Upstairs is your bedroom, bath/dressing room and outdoor shower. The villas have walls of glass that afford the most amazing views to the ocean and over the property, however, villas are set in such a way around the property that means each is very private. When you enter the bedroom there is a vaulted high ceiling with the large bed the central focus of the room. Rooms are equipped with extensive mini bar facilities, writing desk, sofa/lounging area, guest information, air conditioning and large tv. (see pictures) Down the steps and through the double sliding doors is the bathroom/dressing area that has a huge sunken bath (again with views out over the resort to the ocean), double sinks, large wardrobes & safe, seperate toilet and a huge double outdoor shower. Most have their own private pool but we didnt opt for that villa type when booking. Would recommend that you do if you want something even more romantic and special.

What sets this hotel apart is the attention to detail - everything from umbrellas to torches, beach bags, sun screen, after sun lotion, insect repellant and an extensive array of pillow types are provided. On our first night in the villa we had to fill in a few forms to indicate our preferences on everything from pillow type to when we wanted the room serviced, turn down service and when we wanted ice delivered! In the general areas of the hotel sunscreen, loe vera gel, magazines and towels are all provided at the pool and beach.

Food - hand down the most amazing array of breakfast foods I have ever seen. The selection to choose from is huge, with any hot foods cooked to individual order. Had lunch in the main bar and also at the beach bar and food was lovely. The main restaurant food was delicious, and while more expensive than what you can get in Fishermans Village or Chaweng its well worth it. For any foodies like me, opt to have a cookery lesson from one of the hugely talents chefs. While his english wasnt brilliant, it was good enough for us to get through the lesson together. It is well worth the cost (sorry cant remember!) I had over two hours with the chef Um ( sorry its probably not spellled correctly) and learned so much. Myself and my husband got to eat the food for lunch then.

Drinks - the most amazing cocktails! Try different ones each day, the Singapore Sling is to die for. The main bar is super cool with huge swinging couches, a view out to the ocean and the sounds of the sea at night. Fantastic romantic setting for night caps. Make the most of the happy hour at the beach bar each day! One thing we did notice was that beer seemed quite expensive, even the local Thai beers. But we noticed this on our entire trip not just in this hotel or Koh Samui.

General areas of hotel -
Beach - really lovely (I am a beach person!) but its small ish so dont expect a vast stretch! The beach bar and sports facility on the beach are great and there is also restrooms available. They have cool lounger areas set out in different areas of beach bar/beach

Pool - they have a fantastic infinity pool with views out to two neighbouring islands. There isnt a huge amount of sun loungers at it but as most of the villas have their own pool its not an issue. At least it wasnt when we were there anyway.

Spa - I got a massage on my last day. The general area of the spa is beautiful and again the treatment rooms are individual villas. If you are staying there definitely try out the spa.

Grounds - amazingly well kept with a golf buggy available to bring people to and from your villa & reception if you need it.

Restaurants - main restaurant & food in main bar was really really good. They have the most amazing restaurant called Dining on the Rocks too but we didnt get to eat there. Tables are set on decking that is hanging out over the ocean.Imagine dinner at sunset there!

Money - this resort puts everything on tab so just be mindful of that! its not that the resort is hugely expensive but you could easily loose the run of yourself and end up with a massive bill at the end of your stay. Ours was fine though.

Island -
The island itself isnt the most gorgeous of islands, Im sure that there are more beautiful islands in the region. If you have blue waters and white sand in mind dont expect it but it the beaches etc are really lovely. It seems to be quite a poor island in parts (which we didnt mind) just dont expect glitz and glamour across the board.

We went to Fishermans Village a few nights (you can get a shuttle bus from main reception) for dinner and drinks. There are some really lovely restaurants here with great food. Walk to the end of the main street and there is a bar on the right hand side where you can have drinks on the beach while sitting off on huge bean bags. The restaurant right beside it is also really good. You can also pick up some nice traditional thai pieces here and there is a 711 shop if you need to pick up any necessities.

Went to Chaweng a few times but to be honest I really didnt like it. It struck me as really dirty and horrible. We walked for ages trying to find a nice restaurant, (I had read on the plane over that there was loads of really good restaurants there) eventually went down on the beach and found a really nice one. From the beach entrance it was gorgeous - set outdoors with lots of candles, couches, lanterns, materials of fantastic colour and design. The food was really really good. However, the entrance from the street side was through a really dodgy car park.

Rent a jeep - we rented a jeep and toured the island ourselved. The price of the organised tours arranged through the hotel stuck us as really expensive so we hired a jeep and did it ourselves. The jeep only cost us €40 for the day including insurance and petrol. We toured the coastline ( its only a small island!), went elephant trecking, to a really trendy restaurant for lunch and saw all the buddahs and temples you could hope for!

We hope to go on a trip again early 2014,hopefully to Vietnam. Would love to build in a stay in another of the six senses resorts if I can.

Room Tip: Most villas have their own private pool - go for that if you can., However, villas without pools ar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Curious Person
Dear Curious Person Wexford,
Thank you for your detailed remarks on a honeymoon vacation back in September 2011, myself and my team are very pleased to see that you had such a wonderful experience. I have especially shared your comments with Joy your butler, and our Executive Chef and his team. Its so nice to see that you enjoyed the ambiance of the resort and the surrounding areas, especially your villa and facilities. I hope that you can visit us again in the future and if there is anything that i can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
HK
Reviewed August 18, 2013

we came here last month in search of good weather and peace of mind and have been very disappointed. In terms of six senses we got served :
- the sense of smell is ruined by the pools ; they are not with salt water but with awful chlorine coming directly from the 80s. The water was green (don't know if it was for bad style or what but didn't make you want to dive in)
- the sense of taste was just average ; the western food was so pretentious we didn't try, the thai food was ok. The breakfast buffet was really nice.
- the view is fantastic on one side of the island, but is ruined on the other side by a nearby massive resort that is getting built,
- the hearing is ruined by the other resorts playing real loud music,
- the sense of touch was on full alert to avoid all the mosquitoes ; we got bitten 20 times each just in the hour after entering our room. After using massive amount of insecticides (my baby didn't love it) we were able to stay in the room but we got bitten so often when going on the outdoor terrace that we quickly stopped using it.
- regarding this special sixth sense ma foi I didn't get too full a sense of it. The villas are the ones on the others and don't offer a sense of privacy. The beach is quite sad ; you go down slippery steps to reach a small stretch that is shared with a few other resorts. The sea is muddy and you can't put a foot down without hitting rocks. Even the pillows were not comfortable.
The service was really good except our buttler who was anything but a yes man.
We've been to several six senses and always loved it. But after this one I can't consider this brand as trustworthy.

Room Tip: haven't found a good one.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Etienne G
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Etienne G
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent holiday to Six Senses Samui, my team and I are very disappointed to see that we did not live up to your expectation, in the interest of yourselves and our readers I would like to provide the following feedback.
Our pools are tiled with green tiles, so therefore the water color is a green shade, we use fresh water for hygiene reasons and not salt water, which is what most resorts in Samui use. The chlorine we use comes in the form of tablets new technology and not chlorine powder so there is no smell whatsoever, and it does not effect your eyes, hair color or bleach your cloths.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and this lived up to your expectation, not sure why the food was pretentious, our menus serve good quality western and Thai food to please all pallets, which is well received by our guests.
The rains have been heavy for this time of year so we have had a higher number of mosquitoes than usual, nature can be troublesome on the occation.
With regards to the quality of the beach, Koh Samui tends to have more rocky beaches than phuket, so therefore it can be a different experience for some beach lovers. Once again thank you for your valued comments. Should you wish to discuss any of these matters further please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Muscat
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was part of my Honeymoon trip which included different locations
The villa was not as expected
There was an issue of privacy ! as the private pool was exposed to some sort of a kitchen or staff office.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Faris A,
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, my team and I are very pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your holiday, but left feeling a little disappointed with the location of your villa, this was a little to close to a maids pantry, we do apologize for this and will advise my team accordingly. I hope you will visit us or another Six Senses Resort in the future, if there is anything that I can help you with please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

The design hide very well into the tree line. The overall feeling is. Dry laid back and luxurious. The accommodation each have a pool and ours had a see view which was spectacular. The communal areas ( bar / pool / restuarnt ) are top quality. The staff couldn't be more helpful.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andyrichards2712,
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent stay at Six Senses Samui, my team and I are very pleased to see that you had such a wonderful stay with us, enjoying the rustic accommodation with spectacular views from your swimming pool, I have also passed on your comments to our chef also regarding the nice food. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future, and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Gurgaon
Reviewed August 15, 2013

this is the kind of property that one stays in for the whole weekend and doesnt really need to venture out much. the location is one end of Samui island and that's what makes it even more beautiful. this is an excellent property with a rustic, nature heavy charm. the cottages are very well done, most of them are secluded from the road so privacy is assured. they do a fantastic job of keeping the place clean and green. cottages with the private pool are a luxurious experience. the staff is very warm and efficient and almost anything you order is very well put together. you cant leave unsatisfied.

Room Tip: any cottage with a sea view and private pool is good enough- they have many cottages so a good view...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vrooomm Gurgaon,
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent stay at Six Senses Samui, my team and I are very pleased that you had such a wonderful holiday, enjoying the intelligent luxury feel of your accommodation and the resort surroundings. We do hope that you will come and visit us again in the not to distant future. If there is anything I can help you with on a return stay to a Six Senses property, please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Geoje-si
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I cannot praise this hotel enough. I was taken slightly unwell the day after arrival and our butler, Patrick, held our hands throughout a stressful experience, overseeing a visit to the local hospital (quick, friendly, efficient) and providing an effective comfort blanket. The hotel itself is lovely. The staff are uber-friendly and the service is cosseted. If I had to choose one word it would be peaceful. Luxurious would be a close second. Wonderful counterpoint to the thrum of local life. If you are thinking of going there, do.

Room Tip: I think the full sea-view will involve a climb up a hill when leaving the villa. But free, frequent...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Margaret M,
Thank you for your feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, we are all delighted that you had such a wonderful vacation, and of course I have passed on your kind remarks to Patrick who looked after you when you were not feeling well. We do hope that you make a return visit to see us once more in the not to distant future. If there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
David Ashworth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
W Retreat Koh Samui
W Retreat Koh Samui
#7 of 30 in Mae Nam
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!