“Restaurant Review”

Ranked #14 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Restaurant Review”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Not staying at Six Senses but had Dinner at "Dining on the Hill" tonight.
Very very good. There are obviously much less expensive dining options around the Bophut area but when you want a quality meal in quality surroundings then this is a great choice. Will cost twice as much but is worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Brian S,
Thank you for your feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, we are very pleased that you had a great experience and enjoyed our food quality and selection at our dining on the Hill Restaurant, I have shared your comments with my food and beverage team and executive chef. We do hope that you will come and stay with us in the not to distant future on another visit to the Island. If there is anything that I can help you with on your next visit please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
David Ashworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went to Six Senses in early July with our two boys. We had a very relaxing stay. We all had a great time. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The food is excellent. The Dining on the Rocks experience far surpassed our expectations with the food 'wow'ing us. The personal involvement of the hotel manager was the icing on the cake.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear SteveB,
Thank you for your kind remarks on a recent visit to six senses samui, my team and I are very pleased to see that you and your family had such a nice time at the resort. I have also shared your comments on the food with my Executive Chef. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to take care of you again in the not to distant future. Should you require any further assistance on a future stay with six senses, please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am staying at this resort right now with my wife and couldn't wait until the holiday finished before writing this review. This resort is simply amazing. The attention to detail is outstanding but there are two things which stand out.

The first is the location. The resort is laid out in a very clever way and so sophisticated, by ensuring the natural beauty is not compromised. A lot of attention has gone into the rooms, the restaurants and the communal areas. The attention to detail is remarkable even down to the furniture. It is very understated and allows for the environment of the Island to shine through. Every view seems like a picture frame of paradise.

The second is the staff. The customer service here is first class. The emphasis is on you as the customer, and how to make your stay here the best it can be. Thailand is well known for smiles but this resort takes it to the next level. The staff have the right level of engagement without being overly intrusive or to distant. I read a lot of reviews about Six Senses but I could not imagine such a truly magical place. The food is very good and the wine list is very comprehensive.

When you arrive you are assigned a "Butler" and this is where I think there is a difference to other places we have stayed. This is somebody to go to throughout the day if you have a question, concern or request. Our butler is Prae who is very kind and extremely attentive and approachable. She will go to great lengths, no matter how small the request to make sure my wife and I have what we need to enjoy our stay. On the phone inside the room her mobile number was set to speed-dial so we could contact her anytime. The attention to detail here is that well thought out. Prae is helping making our stay so wonderful and memorable. Every member of staff we have come across are not just super friendly, but very conscious to ensure we are having a nice time. All I can really say about this place is paradise found. Truly wonderful.

Room Tip: We are staying in room 31 which is a pool villa. From our room we overlook the sea. The pool Villa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SteveSindy
Dear SteveSindy,
Thank you for your valued feedback on a recent visit to six senses samui, all my team and I are very happy to see that you had such a wonderful time, and enjoyed both the location and ambiance of the resort, especially the service provided by my hosts. We do enjoy our work together as a team and its especially nice to see that you recognize this too, hopefully one day you will return to Samui, so we care share special times together once more.
If there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Kent
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited Six Senses Samui for 2 weeks for our honeymoon in June '13. We were totally blown away with the resort, the villas and the service - starting with the pickup from the airport to the drop-off after two weeks, the service remained impeccable with some staff really standing out as great characters. I always looked forward to seeing some of them at the restaurant, notably Cherry and the man with the gammy leg (we didn't get his name!).

Our butler, Patrick (and Prae when Patrick was away) were both very helpful and always made an effort to chat with us whenever we ran into them, and offer advice, etc. This was a personal service that we didn't really expect, but really appreciated.

The food was amazing and they really did cater for all tastes, desires and appetites - it appeared that nothing was ever too much effort. We also had a Thai cooking lesson at the resort which was fabulous and very entertaining.

The villas (we stayed in an Ocean view villa - No.14) was above our expectations. There is no AC in the bathroom, but that didn't bother us, and the occasional mosquito made its way in, but the resort do provide ample repellant burning coils and fog the resort twice a day with rapeseed oil. The villa was great, with a fully stocked mini-bar and complementary fresh fruit daily. The plunge pool was a welcomed relief at the end of each day.

We did three excursions, all organised through the resort - Muay Thai, Samui Discovery Tour, and Safari. All were great and I recommend them, especially the Samui Discovery Tour. Our guide (Wan) was excellent and funny, and made the service very personal.

There's so much more to say, but to sum it all up - the resort was exactly what we wanted and had hoped for, and more. We would definitely return. This was our first experience of a Six Senses resort and would definitely consider staying with them at other destinations.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear J_NKent,

Thank you so much for your nice feedback on a recent visit to six senses samui, I have shared all of your remarks with the team, especially Patrick and Prae your butler who were so helpful throughout your stay. I have also passed on your remarks about the food to our Executive Chef, nice to see that you enjoyed the cooking classes, they are a lot of fun.

Once again its so nice to see that we made your holiday so special, my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. If there is anything that I can help you with on a return visit to a six senses property, please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com

London
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 7 nights at the 6 senses samui, for the end of our honeymoon in Thailand. We saved the best until last! The six senses was luxurious from start to finish. The staff are absolutely lovely, will do anything to help and are so friendly. Our butler was the very sweet Aon. She was so helpful! She made sure we had the best room available to us- sadly we didn't get an upgrade, but we did get a lovely sea view room, and could see the sun rise every morning! On check out they let us stay on until 6pm for no extra charge until we got picked up for the airport which was great.

Positives for the six senses- helpful, friendly staff; butler service is great; gorgeous surroundings; amazing room with lush views; all the little extras in the room, such as incense sticks, lots of bottled water, huge plunge bath, aloe Vera, mosquito repellent, after sun shampoo and conditioner, dressing gowns slippers, lime and ice, just little things which go that extra mile which is brilliant; fab complimentary cocktail night on Monday and Friday (the only time to drink wine as otherwise it works out at £10 a glass minimum!); lovely infinity pool and massive sunbeds and staff bringing ice cold water all day which is
amazing as it's so hot!!

Unfortunately there is one main negative and it's mainly the prices, the price to eat and drink is very high, the price of the spa is also very high. As I said above, £10 for a glass of wine is very high. The food is very nice but just doesn't live up to the high prices. We did have a complimentary meal included in our package and Aon, our butler, booked that for the 'Thai experience' evening and Thai buffet- this was indeed a very good night and the selection of food was excellent. Not sure I would pay as much as they charge though for this kind of buffet (I think approximately £100), if it hadn't been included. I think maybe for the Thai night but not for something like meditteranean night which they also offer.

We ate out two nights near Bo Phut in the big Buddha cafe- which was really good and great value for money. The downside of going out of the hotel is that you have to pay for a taxi via the hotel and the hotel is quite remote. We found though that what we saved by eating out and not in the hotel, it was worth the cost of the taxi (700 baht).

We went to Fishermans village walking markets on the Friday night which is definitely a recommended experience and again eating there is very cheap compared with the hotel.

Instead of using the spa in the hotel where for a 30-40 minute aromatherapy massage is around 2,500 baht (very expensive for Thailand massage prices)! I organised a 3 hour spa experience via our airport transfer company, it was absolutely lovely and great value for money (only around 1,600 baht), so definitely shop around. That also included transfers to and from six senses to the spa.

Overall we had a great experience at six senses and I would recommend it to anyone. There are a few downsides but the good does outweigh the bad. Also there are ways to get around things like the cost of eating at the hotel by eating elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank CeriJade
Dear CeriJade,
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent visit to six senses samui, really pleased to see that you both had a wonderful honeymoon, I have shared your comments with my entire team, including K Aon, who looked after you during your stay.

In regards to the cost of wine, the reason it is so expensive in Thailand compared to Europe is due to the Taxes that are applied by the government.

It a very well known fact that you can eat cheaper foods in small food stalls and street side restaurants in Thailand, but you also have to be careful with hygiene, we do not want you to have issues with tummy upsets, which can happen quite often when eating from street side vendors.

With regards to the spa, our prices reflect the high quality treatments by professionally trained therapists, yes cheaper massages are available on the beach and in small massage parlors, they are in most cases not qualified staff who could cause bodily injury to you, so we always ask our guest to be careful when choosing cheaper options.

Thank you again for your constructive remarks, I do hope that you can visit us again and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay in a six senses resort, please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com

New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 24, 2013

It was a family holiday where the age group was 8 years to 69 years. We had 3 rooms (2-Pool Villa and 1-Ocean Front Pool Villa Suite). The property is beautiful with all modern amenities (which you require) but still maintaining the natural / wooden villa feel. All the rooms had swimming pools though we spent time in the Villa Suite as was the bigger room.

Breakfast had a vast spread of items and also the in-room dining was good. Service standards are unbelievable and like any south-east Asian luxury resort comes with a big smile.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Amit_Delhi_India,
Thank you for your valued feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, my team and I are very happy to see that you had a wonderful time, enjoying the ambiance, food and service. We really look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future. If there is anything I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Recently returned from a seven night stay at Six Senses Samui which was the perfect ending to a wonderful birthday surprise. On arrival we were welcomed by our butler Aon who was the perfect host. She always had a smile and nothing was too much trouble. I initially thought that having a butler was something that I may not be comfortable with but Aon made the whole experience easy and pleasurable as she was always on hand but gave us the privacy and freedom we like. The villa was wonderful (No. 36). With floor to ceiling windows on three sides we were privelaged to have a view of the bay at sunrise every morning - what a way to start your day! The restaurant and staff were excellent with a wide variety of food being served with specials on the menu every day. The healthy smoothies at breakfast were lovely with pineapple mauve and message in a bottle being our favorites :) Spa staff, facilities and treatments were excellent and carried out in treatment rooms overlooking the sea - lovely at sunset. The infinity pool was a peaceful location and pool staff were always on hand to top you up with iced water or to get you something from the restaurant or bar if desired. Dining On The Rocks was a wonderful experience - one not to be missed. The only negative if you like a glass of wine is that it is relatively expensive by either the bottle or glass. That being said it would not deter us from returning as this is truly a little piece of paradise and if we had Aon as a butler it would be the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet as it is a relatively small resort. Upgrading to an ocean view is well worth it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JALECA,
Thank you for your valued remarks on a recent stay at Six Senses Samui. Very nice to see that you enjoyed the ambiance and views from villa 36, I have also passed on your comments to Khun Aon your butler and our Executive Chef with regards to the quality of the food which you enjoyed so much. With regards to the cost of wine, this is due to the high taxes which the government places on wine imports, it does make it rather expensive compared to Europe. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future and if there is anything that I can help you with on another stay at a Six Senses Resort, please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
David Ashworth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
W Retreat Koh Samui
W Retreat Koh Samui
#7 of 30 in Mae Nam

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!