“An absolutely breathtaking hotel with impeccable service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Six Senses Samui

Ranked #14 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Bangkok, Thailand
“An absolutely breathtaking hotel with impeccable service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Actually we stayed at Six Senses two years ago. We were there for 5 nights for our honeymoon. It was one of the best hotels we have ever been to. We had the villa with the ocean views. The villa had two stories, the top floor was the bedroom, the living area with a huge bathroom and outdoor shower while the lower floor was the pool and the chill out area.

The villa was really nice and well equipped with all amenities needed. I loved the little details they put in everything like little stuffed dolls the staff put on our bed when they came for the turn down service and a nice addition of insect repellent cream and the aftersun lotion. I liked it so much I actually bought the aftersun jelly location home. The bathroom was really, really nice. When we arrived, they also prepared a nice warm bubble bath for us.

The food at the Six Senses was the best food we've ever had in any hotel. They had quite a number of restaurants and we tried all of them. Even the room service food was perfect. I opted for the australian beef capaccio for a few times because I liked it so much. The breakfast was fantastic - again the best we've ever had. They had such a great variety of food. They even had sushi and sashimi which I loved. The egg station offered a variety of creative dishes while the juice bar featured a combination of frozen fruit juices with a twist.

We also went to the spa which was really really stunning. It was set in a lush jungle and was super spacious. The room we had at the spa boasted the views of the ocean. The staff was really nice and knew how to massage really well.

I must say that we were extremely impressed with the service from everyone at the hotel. The buggy service was really fast and the staff was really helpful. We also booked an excursion to the Five Island (outsourced) and had a private boat trip around the island and a huge and sumptuous at the Five Island restaurant. One day we also asked the hotel to hire us a car (very pricey) and we drove to the tiger zoo and aquarium and also around the island.

We had a great time at the Six Senses Samui. But because it was on a very pricey side, we don't intend to go very often. But I think for a special occasion like honeymoon or anniversary or simply for that fact that you can afford it, I strongly recommend this hotel. I would give it six stars if I could.

Room Tip: Any ocean view pool villa is really nice. If you want to have an unblocked view then you can opt for...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Micky_siva,
Our team at Six Senses is always happy to hear from our guests. So it gave me great pleasure to read your overall positive reviews and share these with my staff. As returning guests its nice that we have maintained if not increased our standards of food and service, seeing that you enjoyed them so much. I hope that you can once again visit us in Samui, if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Six Senses Samui

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a beautiful hotel in a remarkable location on a beautiful island. Splurge for the ocean view. It is worth it. The feeling is not super luxurious. The look tries to be natural. The place is ecofriendly. Be prepared though. it is super quiet. Very secluded. And really meant to share with someone you love. The food is great. the pool is set on a cliff with an infinity pool at the edge overlooking islands in the distant.
I suggest it for a very romantic experience! ;)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Oliver W
Thank you for choosing Senses as your home away from home, we are glad that you enjoyed the nice food and the special ambiance in your villa and around the resort. I hope that you can visit us again in the future and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We splashed out for the first few nights of our trip and it was worth it. The villa was amazing. Book one with a private pool if you can, it was nice to take a dip when coming home to cool off, and we enjoyed having some friends around from a different resort one afternoon for a party before going out. The butler was a good touch, Maiko was very helpful with everything we needed. Definitely take the shuttle to Fishermans Village for dinner (butler can help) and drinks (has to be coco tams) because two meals a day in resort is waaaay too expensive. Didn't try Dining on the Rocks because we were not in the mood for that sort of meal, but I am sure it is good based on the rest of the food. Staff are all very helpful and the main pool is stunning. Location is isolated, but the shuttle and taxi service are reasonably priced, and it is very easy to catch a local taxi back from the other areas. We booked in to a cheap resort on the other side of the island for the rest of our stay on Samui (couldn't afford two more nights, plus we wanted to see the sunset) and the difference is striking. Still, our stay at Six Senses is likely to be a highlight of our trip.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank franc0phile75
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear FrancOphile75
Thank you for staying with us at Six Senses Samui, we are glad that you enjoyed the spacious villa and the service from Chiaki your butler, I hope that you can visit us again in the not to distant future, and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Jakarta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at Six Senses Samui for 3 days (8-11 March 2013). I was so impressed with the place – cozy room, nice ambience, very friendly staff and soft-spoken Japanese butler. Nevertheless, on the second day, I was so startled to see a cleaning lady move my friend’s luggage from its original position to in front of the mirror. The suspicious thing was that it was lying down on the floor – instead of standing upright like how you usually leave your luggage.

When I asked the lady what she did with my friend’s trolley, she said she needed to check the basket. I then rushed to check my purse which was located on the top shelf of the cupboard. I originally wanted to take out some money to tip her for cleaning the room, but when I opened my purse, I realized that 7,000 Baht (US$200) was missing from my wallet. While I should have placed it in the safe instead of in the cupboard, I had placed my trust in the resort and the staff. I counted again my money (I remember very well because I just withdrew 20k Baht at Bangkok airport on the way to Samui and didn’t even spend a penny since I arrived at the resort) but was sure the 7,000 Baht was missing.

I then looked at the lady again, she was very nervous and was rushing to leave the room. She didn’t even put a new bar of soap on the table, no new paper bags in the toilet, and even forgot to replace the empty bottles with the fresh ones. I was still in shock and trying to figure out what happened. I called up my friend and she reported the incident to the butler. The next 20 min or so, she called me up and said that none of the cleaning ladies took my money. I told her cynically that of course no thief would confess.

She suggested that I should to go to the police. I went to the police and handed over my wallet to get some finger prints. (my prints have already covered most of it but hopefully, they can find stranger’s print on it). It’s been a week since I left the place. I have put up a good fight (stayed in the police station for 4 hours) and Six Senses sent down five staff to the police station. Nevertheless, only 1 who was grilled. The police went to the villa, took pictures and tried to reconstruct the whole event in the morning.

Anyway, a night before, the generator blew up, making very loud noise. Then the back-up generator started up, bringing the lights back on. It was ok, until our air-condition started making terrible noise. We had to call for technician at 3.00 AM. It was really unpleasant. Our butler, however, tried to compensate our terrible night by giving a 60 min free massage. It was so sweet of her. Yet, we didn’t use it as we had to deal with the missing money.

Well, lesson learned. One should never leave your belonging, even though it is a high-end resort as there are thieves everywhere. I just don’t want to let the thieves win.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Mita V
Dear Mita V
Security is something we take very seriously, I am sorry that you have experienced this and I would like you to contact me direct at gm-samui@sixsenses.com so we can look into this matter in more detail. We do have full time security staff in the resort 24/7 and they are fully trained, if any of these security staff or Maids are found guilty they would immediatly lose their jobs. It is important for us to talk to you, as I feel personally responsible for all our guests, and will look into this personally to ensure a prompt solution.
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We came here on our honeymoon. The first day was totally lost as we huddled under the mosquito net trying to avoid being bitten to death inside the room. We were told the rooms were eco friendly. This is fine but then do not ask others to pay a fortune to suffer the consequences of such an idiotic policy!

We were given another bungalow. They even cut down some bushes to reduce the mosquito plague in this new bungalow. No good. In the end, they placed mosquito nets on the entire inside of the bathroom. A lot of hassle, a lot of nerves and irritation! Will not be returning until they put guests before mosquitos!

Room Tip: They are unfortunately all infested with mosquitos
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nicolas C
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Nicolas C
All my team are very sorry for the mosquito issue that spoiled your holiday, we are constantly taking measures to keep the population to a minimum, they have an abit of liking certain people and do not bother others at all, it is also difficult to completely eradicate them, so we have to be well prepared as a traveller if we are touring the tropics, I apologize profusely over this and should you wish to discuss this further kindly contact me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

The food is great. the pool is set on a cliff with an infinity pool at the edge overlooking islands in the distant. i did not get a chance to sit on the beach but it was magnificent.
We came for business and we only had one night but it was a wonderful experience. Sorry i couldn't stay longer and i cant wait until i get back.

Room Tip: go for the ocean view. it is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JAR55
Dear JARR55,
Thank you for choosing Six Senses Samui as your home away from home, we are very glad you enjoyed your stay, we certainly hope that you will visit us again in the near future, and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next visit, please feel free to contact me on gm-samui@sixsenses.com
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at a room with a pool villa for a week. We have stayed in other good resorts around the world so we have a bit of an experience. The place was only made in 2004 but it already feels past its prime. They are going for the natural look but that doesn't mean that the steps in the paths have to be ropey or the area around the villa pool couldn't do with a bit of a polish. The infinity pool was nice but it did smell on one side and there was very hard surface around it so you had to be careful not to scratch yourself. The view and sunset were great from there but you had to chase the staff to order something. Overall the hotel could make much more money if they had better service. Apart from the butlers the level of English was quite bad. Try ordering room service and see how long it will take until you get frustrated. The pools although not dirty could use a scrub. Breakfast was nice and food in general was quite tasty. I agree with other guests on spaces not being utilised. Would be nice if the pool did not close with sunset they could do a cool bar in the area above it. The space next to the restaurant on the rocks was used only for management drinks one evening. The rooms had a nice view but again they just seemed to need a bit of refurbishment. Trying to open the windows by the bath was not straightforward. The villa pool was overlooked by the villa next door so not much privacy. We stayed in room 53 by the way. Another big problem is the amount of mosquitoes! They told us they were spraying it 3 times a day but I didn't see any. Maybe they stopped due to customers' complaints? Even if you sleep with the windows closed use the mosquito net. We are talking 30 bites plus here even during the day. Standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom would give you another 3-5 bites easily. I have stayed in other places in the forest but I have never been bitten so much. My comments might seem harsh but this considers itself 5 star and charges accordingly so expectations are also 5 star. Overall I think they should either lower the price or make more of an effort.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank trueLondoner
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear trueLondoner,

Thank you for the feedback. Whilst we are going for a natural look there is no excuse for shabby. We are aware of the areas that need refurbishment. The resort has experienced a very busy high season and not been able to access areas as part of our ongoing maintenance as much as we would like without creating noise.

We will review the service sequence with the team in the bars and restaurants and around the pool to ensure its more attentive and thank you for raising this.

The pools are cleaned daily but we will ensure they are scrubbed with more frequency. We are looking for a new surface to cover or line the pools so they are slightly smoother. We were trying to keep the finish as natural in that setting as possible.

We have in the past kept the pool bar open later till after sunset but not always well utilized but will try again and see if it gets more use. It is an amazing setting to watch the sunset.

We are looking at options to glaze the bathrooms to let in more light and allow guests to enjoy the views from this area and will be doing a sample of it during the summer and hope to roll out more in the future.

The mosquitoes are unfortunate and will review the timings and sequence of spraying to ensure they are optimum to keep them at bay. I have also asked the team to check your villa to ensure all points of access are correctly sealed to ensure they can’t come indoors.

Again I appreciate your comments and we will do what we can to ensure they are not affecting future guests.

Kind regards,

David Ashworth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!