“Beautiful!”
Review of Six Senses Samui

Ranked #30 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a beautiful hotel in a remarkable location on a beautiful island. Splurge for the ocean view. It is worth it. The feeling is not super luxurious. The look tries to be natural. The place is ecofriendly. Be prepared though. it is super quiet. Very secluded. And really meant to share with someone you love. The food is great. the pool is set on a cliff with an infinity pool at the edge overlooking islands in the distant.
I suggest it for a very romantic experience! ;)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Oliver W
Thank you for choosing Senses as your home away from home, we are glad that you enjoyed the nice food and the special ambiance in your villa and around the resort. I hope that you can visit us again in the future and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com

Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We splashed out for the first few nights of our trip and it was worth it. The villa was amazing. Book one with a private pool if you can, it was nice to take a dip when coming home to cool off, and we enjoyed having some friends around from a different resort one afternoon for a party before going out. The butler was a good touch, Maiko was very helpful with everything we needed. Definitely take the shuttle to Fishermans Village for dinner (butler can help) and drinks (has to be coco tams) because two meals a day in resort is waaaay too expensive. Didn't try Dining on the Rocks because we were not in the mood for that sort of meal, but I am sure it is good based on the rest of the food. Staff are all very helpful and the main pool is stunning. Location is isolated, but the shuttle and taxi service are reasonably priced, and it is very easy to catch a local taxi back from the other areas. We booked in to a cheap resort on the other side of the island for the rest of our stay on Samui (couldn't afford two more nights, plus we wanted to see the sunset) and the difference is striking. Still, our stay at Six Senses is likely to be a highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank franc0phile75
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear FrancOphile75
Thank you for staying with us at Six Senses Samui, we are glad that you enjoyed the spacious villa and the service from Chiaki your butler, I hope that you can visit us again in the not to distant future, and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at Six Senses Samui for 3 days (8-11 March 2013). I was so impressed with the place – cozy room, nice ambience, very friendly staff and soft-spoken Japanese butler. Nevertheless, on the second day, I was so startled to see a cleaning lady move my friend’s luggage from its original position to in front of the mirror. The suspicious thing was that it was lying down on the floor – instead of standing upright like how you usually leave your luggage.

When I asked the lady what she did with my friend’s trolley, she said she needed to check the basket. I then rushed to check my purse which was located on the top shelf of the cupboard. I originally wanted to take out some money to tip her for cleaning the room, but when I opened my purse, I realized that 7,000 Baht (US$200) was missing from my wallet. While I should have placed it in the safe instead of in the cupboard, I had placed my trust in the resort and the staff. I counted again my money (I remember very well because I just withdrew 20k Baht at Bangkok airport on the way to Samui and didn’t even spend a penny since I arrived at the resort) but was sure the 7,000 Baht was missing.

I then looked at the lady again, she was very nervous and was rushing to leave the room. She didn’t even put a new bar of soap on the table, no new paper bags in the toilet, and even forgot to replace the empty bottles with the fresh ones. I was still in shock and trying to figure out what happened. I called up my friend and she reported the incident to the butler. The next 20 min or so, she called me up and said that none of the cleaning ladies took my money. I told her cynically that of course no thief would confess.

She suggested that I should to go to the police. I went to the police and handed over my wallet to get some finger prints. (my prints have already covered most of it but hopefully, they can find stranger’s print on it). It’s been a week since I left the place. I have put up a good fight (stayed in the police station for 4 hours) and Six Senses sent down five staff to the police station. Nevertheless, only 1 who was grilled. The police went to the villa, took pictures and tried to reconstruct the whole event in the morning.

Anyway, a night before, the generator blew up, making very loud noise. Then the back-up generator started up, bringing the lights back on. It was ok, until our air-condition started making terrible noise. We had to call for technician at 3.00 AM. It was really unpleasant. Our butler, however, tried to compensate our terrible night by giving a 60 min free massage. It was so sweet of her. Yet, we didn’t use it as we had to deal with the missing money.

Well, lesson learned. One should never leave your belonging, even though it is a high-end resort as there are thieves everywhere. I just don’t want to let the thieves win.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Mita V

Dear Mita V
Security is something we take very seriously, I am sorry that you have experienced this and I would like you to contact me direct at gm-samui@sixsenses.com so we can look into this matter in more detail. We do have full time security staff in the resort 24/7 and they are fully trained, if any of these security staff or Maids are found guilty they would immediatly lose their jobs. It is important for us to talk to you, as I feel personally responsible for all our guests, and will look into this personally to ensure a prompt solution.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We came here on our honeymoon. The first day was totally lost as we huddled under the mosquito net trying to avoid being bitten to death inside the room. We were told the rooms were eco friendly. This is fine but then do not ask others to pay a fortune to suffer the consequences of such an idiotic policy!

We were given another bungalow. They even cut down some bushes to reduce the mosquito plague in this new bungalow. No good. In the end, they placed mosquito nets on the entire inside of the bathroom. A lot of hassle, a lot of nerves and irritation! Will not be returning until they put guests before mosquitos!

Room Tip: They are unfortunately all infested with mosquitos
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nicolas C
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Nicolas C
All my team are very sorry for the mosquito issue that spoiled your holiday, we are constantly taking measures to keep the population to a minimum, they have an abit of liking certain people and do not bother others at all, it is also difficult to completely eradicate them, so we have to be well prepared as a traveller if we are touring the tropics, I apologize profusely over this and should you wish to discuss this further kindly contact me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The food is great. the pool is set on a cliff with an infinity pool at the edge overlooking islands in the distant. i did not get a chance to sit on the beach but it was magnificent.
We came for business and we only had one night but it was a wonderful experience. Sorry i couldn't stay longer and i cant wait until i get back.

Room Tip: go for the ocean view. it is worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JAR55

Dear JARR55,
Thank you for choosing Six Senses Samui as your home away from home, we are very glad you enjoyed your stay, we certainly hope that you will visit us again in the near future, and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next visit, please feel free to contact me on gm-samui@sixsenses.com

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at a room with a pool villa for a week. We have stayed in other good resorts around the world so we have a bit of an experience. The place was only made in 2004 but it already feels past its prime. They are going for the natural look but that doesn't mean that the steps in the paths have to be ropey or the area around the villa pool couldn't do with a bit of a polish. The infinity pool was nice but it did smell on one side and there was very hard surface around it so you had to be careful not to scratch yourself. The view and sunset were great from there but you had to chase the staff to order something. Overall the hotel could make much more money if they had better service. Apart from the butlers the level of English was quite bad. Try ordering room service and see how long it will take until you get frustrated. The pools although not dirty could use a scrub. Breakfast was nice and food in general was quite tasty. I agree with other guests on spaces not being utilised. Would be nice if the pool did not close with sunset they could do a cool bar in the area above it. The space next to the restaurant on the rocks was used only for management drinks one evening. The rooms had a nice view but again they just seemed to need a bit of refurbishment. Trying to open the windows by the bath was not straightforward. The villa pool was overlooked by the villa next door so not much privacy. We stayed in room 53 by the way. Another big problem is the amount of mosquitoes! They told us they were spraying it 3 times a day but I didn't see any. Maybe they stopped due to customers' complaints? Even if you sleep with the windows closed use the mosquito net. We are talking 30 bites plus here even during the day. Standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom would give you another 3-5 bites easily. I have stayed in other places in the forest but I have never been bitten so much. My comments might seem harsh but this considers itself 5 star and charges accordingly so expectations are also 5 star. Overall I think they should either lower the price or make more of an effort.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank trueLondoner
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear trueLondoner,

Thank you for the feedback. Whilst we are going for a natural look there is no excuse for shabby. We are aware of the areas that need refurbishment. The resort has experienced a very busy high season and not been able to access areas as part of our ongoing maintenance as much as we would like without creating noise.

We will review the service sequence with the team in the bars and restaurants and around the pool to ensure its more attentive and thank you for raising this.

The pools are cleaned daily but we will ensure they are scrubbed with more frequency. We are looking for a new surface to cover or line the pools so they are slightly smoother. We were trying to keep the finish as natural in that setting as possible.

We have in the past kept the pool bar open later till after sunset but not always well utilized but will try again and see if it gets more use. It is an amazing setting to watch the sunset.

We are looking at options to glaze the bathrooms to let in more light and allow guests to enjoy the views from this area and will be doing a sample of it during the summer and hope to roll out more in the future.

The mosquitoes are unfortunate and will review the timings and sequence of spraying to ensure they are optimum to keep them at bay. I have also asked the team to check your villa to ensure all points of access are correctly sealed to ensure they can’t come indoors.

Again I appreciate your comments and we will do what we can to ensure they are not affecting future guests.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed for the day, did not stay overnight. Still received the best of service. Car picked us up from our hotel (at a cost, but still convenient). Great room, buggys to drive us everywhere in Six Senses. Great service from staff. May be difficult location to explore the rest of Koh Samui. Fantastic pool.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear S D,

I am really pleased to see you enjoyed your day visit to the resort and thank you for taking the time to post it on Trip Advisor. I hope next time we may see you staying a bit longer at one of our resorts.

Kind regards,

David Ashworth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Conrad Koh Samui
Conrad Koh Samui
#24 of 317 in Ko Samui

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!