2,868 results
All reviews full moon fisherman's village eclipse bar vacation club koh samui lily pond garden view room beautiful hotel kids club pool bar our honeymoon high tide restaurants and bars little touches bo phut few minutes walk happy hour
Selected filters
Reviewed January 24, 2011

we stayed at the anantara bohput for a week from 14th January 2011 before moving down to the langham place for the second week of our holiday. if there was a 3.5 mark (out of 5) then that’s what i’d probably give, but it was nearer 4 than 3 so 4 it is. and the mark of 4 is almost entirely down to the absolutely charming staff who never failed to greet you with a smile and hello, in fact so nice were they that it’s difficult to be critical about the hotel without getting pangs of guilt!

our standard room was nice enough if a little tired, the bed for me wasn’t the best and the frosted glass bathroom won’t be to everyone’s taste. still there was a dvd player, good selection of tv channels, ok cosmetics. i seem to remember things being better at our last anantara stay at si kao, south of Krabi.

grounds were beautiful as was the pool which is bigger than it looks in the pictures. the stagnant pond either side of the drive was a bit of a stomach turner, must have been worse for the fish living in it. the hotel also had a great air conditioned gym with a good selection of equipment.

the location is cool as well, on a long rough sand, man-made beach. supermarkets a few yards from the gate along with eateries, massage etc. there is also a road down to the romantically named fisherman’s village where there are loads of restaurants/ bars / shops from very nice to nasty. the fishermen are long gone and it’s all a bit tacky but it’s less hectic than lamai or chaweng.

breakfast was top class at anantara. the other anantara food was expensive by local standards but of very good quality.

our biggest ‘probably won’t return grumble’ was the crowded sun bed area around the pool. if bored you could count the pimples on the person next to you (see picture). if they put their umbrella up it would take your sun. it was also crowded on the beach in a similar fashion. we expected more for the level of the hotel. they’ve recently completed an extension next door which focuses on some big suites and these front the beach. beach sun beds hadn’t been spread in front of these presumably to enhance its exclusivity. i think they should have considered the facilities for the average punters rather than a few elite guests. to add insult you had to pay for water around the pool, £2 for a bottle of local water that retails at the shop next door for 20p is plain wrong.
our other significant grumble was the absence of free wi-fi or broadband. ok you could use a pc in the library to access the internet but it’s not the same. i’m sitting on the veranda of my room at the next hotel listening to internet radio over the free wi-fi (drinking free water!)

there is also no real bar to start the evening at anantara, we went next door to the beautiful new hansar hotel and enjoyed cocktails at their happy hour. we’ll definitely have a look at this hotel in future.

overall we had a good stay but wouldn’t return unless there was some significant investment and the ‘nickle and diming’ was replaced with an ‘all part of the service’ attitude to looking after guests.

4  Thank markstar
ManishJha, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2011

Dear Markstar,

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa this month.

As mentioned earlier in my response that the weather play a major role for mosquitoes. We do fog on regular basis. For free Wi- Fi it is a misperception that Internet and Wi-Fi is cheap nowadays. In order to provide a good coverage and speed in a resort, we have to make a significant investment into infrastructure, bandwidth and software. We have upgraded our band width and also providing Free Internet in our Library and also 1 hour Wi Fi in guest room during your stay.

We do offer complimentary bottle of water in our guest room and also serve water during breakfast. We are truly sorry for the frustration and inconvenience during your stay. This is especially saddening because we at Anantara would like to bring happy memories to the guest and make the experience worthwhile and easier for everyone who chooses to spend their holiday with us.

The lily pond that we have is a traditional Thai pond designed by Bill Bensley, who is a very famous designer within our trade. Although it is an individual liking I would not like to comment on the design of the hotel.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff’s hospitality and the same has been communicated to our staff members.
Nothing is more important than regaining your trust and all of us here hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back again soon and provide you the positive Anantara experience you have come to expect from us.

Reviewed January 23, 2011

Being a loyal customer and having stayed at the Anantara for the last 5 years and booking at least 2 rooms I have to say I was quite disappointed on this occasion , i stayed from 1st Jan to the 15th and noticed a considerable drop in the high standards that had made me re visit so often,

Being a frequent traveller and always staying in 5 star hotels i find its the little touches that make a hotel stand out, the Anantara branded bathroom accessories have been replaced by cheaper versions, Housekeeping no longer fold a little towel up in the shape of a monkey ( that was a nice little touch ) I had a suite and found it to be quite dark and dingy the cushions on the terrace were not cleaned during my stay, They have done away with the complimentary cocktail hour when you book a suite, In the evening more often than not there was no hot water in the shower and on the odd occasion no water at all.

The other thing i found irritating was the time share salesman buzzing around the pool and beach all day trying to get you to sign up for a time share on the new suites they have built.

The previous year the manager had said he would upgrade me to a nicer room as a reward for loyalty and bringing many friends to stay at the hotel, Unfortunately this did not happen which I found a bit disappointing .

I just believe that when you sell yourself as a 5 star and by no means cheap hotel you set the standards then you have to keep to them, , The mosquito problem was horrendous this year and in 2 weeks i only saw the grounds sprayed twice, Also whatever anyone says the majority of 5 star hotels supply free wi fi ( not just in the library )

On the positive side although they have clearly lost some staff the old ones, like Tooky and the pool team, the girls in reception , Oy , Don the chef , Lilly at breakfast and the new addition Sebastian are all superb ,very helpful, very friendly and really do make you feel special.

I love the location and the fact you can walk into fishermans village where there is an plenty of excellent bars and restaurants to cater for everyones budget and tastes.

I will miss all the staff but for me the place is starting to look a bit dated , having visited the Hansar next door and being shown around by a very helpful manager who had already emailed me before i arrived home I will be giving that one a go, There is some top Hotels opening on Samui and I really think Anantara need to up there game a bit if they want to market there self at the top end.

4  Thank Flairman

Dear Flairman,

Being a regular guest of Anantara we upgraded you to our Anantara suite and a bottle of wine as a special gesture. As far as the room amenities are concerned in all of our guest’s room, we have changed and upgraded it to higher standard with more professional packing. I take your comments that you did not like it personally. We will monitor this with many of our other guests and should their not be a liking we would certainly review them.

My sincere apology if our newest Vacation Club has not been clearly introduced to you. I have shared your comment with the team in order to ensure that the concept of it will be better communicated. I am sure that you must have enjoyed the THB 3,000 voucher which you received after attending the introduction with the vacation club team.

I am sorry if the previous manger promised to you that you will be upgraded to higher category. We did upgrade you to Anantara Suite but unfortunately Royal Anantara suite was occupied during your whole stay, should that have been available we would have been more than happy to offer you the same at no extra cost.

As mentioned earlier in my response that the weather play a major role for mosquitoes. We do fog on regular basis. For free Wi- Fi it is a misperception that Internet and Wi-Fi is cheap nowadays. In order to provide a good coverage and speed in a resort, we have to make a significant investment into infrastructure, bandwidth and software. We have just upgraded our band width and also providing Free Internet in our Library and also 1 hour Wi Fi in guest room during your stay.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff’s hospitality. The old staffs which we have lost in-fact moved on for better opportunities within our company. Few of them have moved to Maldives and few within Thailand.

We are evolving on regular basis to be with the trend. I am sure you must have noticed that we have changed all the TV to flat screen and also the new bathroom amenities and we have added the new sun beds in pool areas too. We have also added 20 brand new pool villas in our inventory

Reviewed January 23, 2011

Ment to be a trip of a life time for my young familly i feel very disapointed because of the standard and the responce of the manager of the anantara bophut .Beware of this moscito ridden place. Upon arrival to the hotel we were driven down the drive through which can only be described as a swamp the water was green and stank.we were taken to our room which was like walking through some council flats the room was dirty the windows were covered in finger marks the bath and shower were covered in stains and the water was brown .we were told this was because it was island water but ive been to samui before and know this was not the case in other hotels . we booked the hotel for new year at an agreed rate of 16900 per night only to be billed for over 20,000 per night due to the service charge that was unexplained when booking and was sneaked into the small print on the cheacking in form .When i complained about the extra charges the told me if i didnt pay the extra they would get the police and i would not be able to leave .i certanly would not have booked the hotel if these charges had been made clear and feel like ive been scammed .so trapped i had to pay this EXTRA charge .so to sum up over rated over charged and tainted the whole trip if going to samui avoid this one go to the marriot or cheweng regent for half the price and feel like youve got good value and not been ripped off

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
9  Thank udonliving

Dear Udonliving,

Firstly, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa.

I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to write to us and share the concerns and frustrations that you encountered during your stay at the resort. We pride ourselves on ensuring that guests leave with a fond memory and a few wonderful stories of their stay at our resort. As you can imagine, I’m saddened to learn that we have failed on this occasion.
As far as your booking is concerned it was done by one of your colleague is Bangkok and the entire confirmation letter with all the additional charges were mentioned on the confirmation note. We have 18.7 % of tax with the room charge which is mentioned in our web site. All the 5 star resort have the tax. However, the tax structure varies from country to country as per their laws, which I would not comment on.

My apology on behalf of the team if they have communicated to you saying that they will call police if the payment is not done. A strong action has been taken against the staff who mentioned so.

I do understand that weather did not play a good role during your stay at Bophut. We are truly sorry for the frustration and inconvenience during your stay. This is especially saddening because we at Anantara would like to bring happy memories to the guest and make the experience worthwhile and easier for everyone who chooses to spend their holiday with us.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

We stayed here for 7 nights during our 3 week Thailand trip. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Koh Samui at the Anantara but if we could do it again would probably only do 4/5 nights.
The staff were very attentive and happy to help from the moment we arrived, the hotel is very impressive with a beautiful reception area, library and gorgeous gardens. We were shown to our room which was lovely, a nice bathroom and quite spacious. The balcony was a decent size but we didn't use it during our whole stay as the weather had not been great for a few days therefore all the cushions on the seats were soaking wet plus due to the luscious gardens - the mosquitos were out if full force!
The pool is stunning, really is beautiful. Although on the couple of days we spent around the pool we were eaten alive by the mosquitos. I would not have mentioned this but our next hotel stay was at a hotel in Krabi that also had the very nice green luscious gardens but they had mosquito fog sprayed twice a day, supplied insect repellent in the rooms and constantly had burners in and around the hotel... neither of us got bit!
We spent a few days on the beach, this was very enjoyable apart from all the Thai beach walkers trying to sell you items. They are all very friendly and not intrusive but after being asked for the tenth time if you would like to buy a bed cover for a very good price - it becomes a little tiresome!
The breakfast was excellent, and would like to say a special Thank you to Lilly who always greeted us with a smile and was very attentive.
We ate at the beach BBQ, this was actually very good value for money and a very romantic evening.
However we started most evenings in the cool hotel beach bar next door as they had a happy hour between 6:30 and 7:30 (The Hansar). We ate in Fisherman's Village a few evenings, there are some nice beach front restaurants all reasonably priced. The Coconut bar is a great place for late afternoon or early evening drinks. The Pier is a cool place too.
We did not use the Spa whilst staying at the hotel but took a look around and it did look pretty special but the prices were quite expensive.
All in all we had a lovely stay here and I would recommend this hotel, it is a good location, beautiful setting and extremely good staff and services.

1  Thank Emma798
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We just had our very small wedding at the hotel. Air, the wedding coordinator, treated us like family in the best sense. I'm only really writing this review at all because she was so genuinely kind. The flowers/decor were amazing. The photographer and videographer she choose were professional, friendly and were down to roll with our sense of humor. The hotel staff went out of their way to accommodate us, even letting us into their kitchen to show us how they make their Thai style nachos (delicious). It was literally immaculate, in case you wondered. The villa we stayed in had just been built and was amazing as it was directly on the beach, had it's own pool, and the most amazing bathroom - clean, modern, and full of light. It was extremely well decorated, luxurious without being fussy and a very comfortable bed. I'm not really sure that there's anything negative someone could say about a hotel where everyone is genuinely nice, the gardens are overflowing with plumeria and water lilies, they're growing their own herbs in the garden and the chef lets you have a look in the
kitchen. Outside of hearing another guest being super condescending to one of the wait staff, it was a pretty impeccable experience.

1  Thank BonsaiToronto
ManishJha, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2011

Dear Bonsai Toranto,

Thank you for the review which is a great tool of motivation for our team. I remember personally speaking to you and I appreciate your acknowledgement towards the efforts that we try to make for every guest during their stay with us. Guest satisfaction is always on our priority. We are also glad that you liked the resort, food and staff which is the essence of Anantara Bophut.