“aaaah - a little piece of heaven!!”

Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #15 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Wellington, New Zealand
“aaaah - a little piece of heaven!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We couldn't have asked for more!!!!! I know we went in off peak but wow the staff couldn't be better. From the reception, the cleaners through to the restaurant staff and the staff that just seem to appear and check that we're ok. We went our five year old and were delighted when we checked in and got to our room with plenty of room, a swizzle TV and a big bath for the whole family. Although in a great location to walk into the village we found we spent all day at the pool and the beach. The pool was a perfect set up with one end that was not to deep so our son could stand and happily play and the other end over looking the ocean. We lazed our mornings at the pool moving to the 28 degree sea in the afternoons. The staff were always on hand for drinks and food and the staff were amazing with our son even offering the odd free scoop of icecream. Of course nothing is perfect and the one drawback was slightly average food but the village was just down the road. All in all perfection and will definitely go back. a huge thanks to the staff for making our holiday a dream.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear valued guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.
Our top priority is guests satisfaction, and we are delighted you and your family had a great time with us! Thank you very much for your kind words towards our associates, without them, the service at the resort would not be the same! We are very proud of our team, and all the little touches provided to make your experience extra special!
Feel free to contact me at anytime for your next stay with us.

Manish Jha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Spent 4 days 3 nights at this resort. Arrival greeting at the airport was not to the Anantara that you expect. An A4 paper, handwritten sign with the name, held by a staff not in the Anantara uniform, smoking! I arrived first while waiting for my partner and all he could do was give me a curt "you wait there" instruction. The transfer was smooth except that it was the same staff that sort of welcome us at the airport. Throughout the journey, he was on his cell phone, speaking loudly!

Upon arrival at the resort, we were greeted by the porters with a warm welcome and assistance given. However, at the reception, it was different. No welcome and a rude lady for check-in. we had bought a package that includes breakfast but was told breakfast not included. After a hassle time, a supervisor found we were correct. It was written in black and white on our documents that Anantara sent to us but the lady can't be bothered to check as we repeatedly told her so.

The room was old and musty but I guess it is an old resort, very cluttered in information and furnitures. The old fashioned resort look but liveable for the next 3 nights. Housekeeping was fabulous though they clean the room at 4ish in the afternoon. The standing rain shower area smelled of urine but nothing can be done. Guess it comes from the drain hole.

I had supper and drinks at the Eclipse Bar and the service was simply great. Kudos to the server Janice (I hope the name is spelt correctly). Food was good as well and thoroughly enjoyed my supper. However, breakfast is the total opposite. 3 breakfast we had, it was the same and very bland. We tend to sit al fresco but the houseflies was too much each time! It was horrendous both breafast and the al fresco dining!!!

Pool and beach services was none found. I had lunch at the pool bar and the food was terrible. What was described for the Anantara Burger came out different. I was informed they ran out of ingredients!! Should we be informed then before the order is served?

The timing for the evening 6.30pm for the drum and light show was a farce. First they started at 610pm and second, the staff was not serious about the ritual.I feel so stupid for them.

I had room service and it was a better service and food - thanks to the room service team! Keep it up.

Overall, a sheer disappointed - service is poor and when asked to see the GM, I was told have to make an appointment!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try not to stay with the room facing the Hansar Resort entrace as the water fountain of the Hansar R...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Maxmaya
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback and my sincere apologies for not being able to meet you during your short stay, as I was away from the island.

We take every guest comment very seriously, and after reading your review I went through all the points mentioned with my team. I will just highlight some of them.

To start with, the package you have booked was with Anantara Vacation Club, and it was including a round trip transfer (organized by them and not through the resort), and a presentation.
You are right in saying that the attitude of the driver was not up to standard, this has been reported to the transportation company, and a corrective measure has already been taken. But this is not a reason for being loud and rude with the other member of the staff. This has been confirmed not only by our Front desk staff, mentioning that you were swearing in the lobby upon check-in, but also by the Vacation Club staff, during the presentation.

As far as the room is concerned, you were booked in the leading category, with a size of 32sqm. We would have been delighted in assisting you in moving to a higher category, should you have requested it.
There is no record of any smell issue in the housekeeping log book.

The long drum ceremony is not performed by a professional entertainment group, but by our staff, every night at dusk, and they are very proud of it which other readers have mentioned too.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and for the special mention of our Star: Janet from the Eclipse bar!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just came back from Samui and didn't like the idea of visiting the hospital due to digestive problem after eating the hamburger at their full moon restaurant . After complaining to their very rude F & B manager Andrea [---] , instead of apologizing, he said you have to pay for it . The price of their food, though not expensive, has a very bad taste. This is coming fro someone who is a travel professional and has been to great restaurant s all over the world and lives in SF with world class eateries.
Though not a 5 star hotel, the other staff was very courteous.
What a shame that one individual and the food can have a bad impression on a establishment .

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Travelagent1001
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your feedback and please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences encountered during your stay with us.
Unfortunately, I was out of the island and could not meet you, but I hope you have enjoyed your complimentary Spa Treatment!

I have checked with the team and the order for that lunch was for 1 pizza and 1 burger, and you have been charged for the burger only, which was the cheapest item of the bill. Sorry if it has not been communicated clearly.
Anantara Bophut is always praised for the quality & professionalism of the team, as you can read on other reviews. Our associates always go the extra mile to ensure the guests are having an enjoyable time with us: the waitresses, front office associates took a great care of your son, changing & feeding him whilst you relaxed at the pool. Yopunever mentioned this in your review, this is the way our team works, and that is the reason why we have won Thailand’s Leading Spa Resort this year at the World Travel Awards 2012!

Please do drop me a mail when planning your next trip to Samui or any other Anantara property, and I will ensure that you are well taken care of.

Amersfoort
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Ananthare Bophut Resort&Spa is an relief. My wife and I had a wonderfull time enjoying the service, the atmosfeer, the friendliness, the attentions, the people....all! The personal touch of the staf, that gave us the feeling to be welcome in a familie, made our rushy entrance become complete relaxed. What a releaf!

Good, fresh food, nicely decorated. The chef realy knows how to cook! Try the winemenu. If you are in doubt witch wine you schould chouse ask the sommelier, he wreally knows!

If you are in to romance the garden and the pool are made for you! We found ourself back to earth in this heavenly place.

Thanks Andreas, Poh, Por, Janet and all others for your tru attention..

Walrick and Saskia Halewijn-Hillebrand

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Try them all and you know why!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Valued guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback! And thank you for your kind words towards the team, it has been shared with all of them, and posted on the notice board.
We are truly delighted you enjoyed it all, and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed with friends for 8 nights in Sept 2012. It was amazing..great location on the beach, very good facilities and very convneient for Fishermans Wharf (couldnt be closer) but what makes this hotel stand apart is the staff - just smiling all the time, always helpful, nothing is too much trouble...how do they get that happy and can I buy some please?
Impressive facade and great location just away from the airport. Breakfast was great and plenty of choice (not sure where the comments around queues came from as we never saw one). Ate in High Tide reastaurant once in evening and extremely good and once in signature restaurant, Full Moon, which must have been on an off night. (Also ate in Zazen which I have to admit was better). Walked in to Fishermans Wharf most evenings if only for a beer or to soak in atmosphere.
Pool side service was spot on.
Like most holidays there were wrinkles - but how can you get upset when everyone just smiles back at you? So charming and genuine...and sorted out all of little problems in no time at all. How much could London hotels learn from this?

BTW - the phots on the Anatara website are genuine....the view really is that stunning!

Room Tip: We upgraded locally to a suite - brilliant (and a good price but I guess this depends on availabilit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NSNODickie
Dear Valued guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review.
Our staff is truly exceptional and without the team, we will just be another good resort.
Bottle happiness??? We do not want to give out the secret that has given us the award for Thailand’s Leading Spa Resort 2012!!! But you are welcome to come back at anytime, and we will ensure that you receive your “daily fix” of happiness! 

Mnaish Jha
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We enjoyed every aspect of our stay at the Anantara Bophut and the bonus was the weather which we had not xpected to be that good. We arrived on 22nd September for two weeks and had more or less two weeks of sunshine. There were just a few occasions when it rained and since this was either in the late afternoon or evening it really didn't matter.

From our arrival, when we were met by the courteous reception staff with a delicious cooling fruit drink and refreshing hand towels we felt totally relaxed and at home here.

The traditional main reception area is very attractive and welcoming and the view fom there across the lily-pond to the contemporary building housing the Full Moon restaurant is stunning: it's shown on their website and is just as good as it looks there. Thesurrounding exotic and verdant gardens are continually maintained by hapy friendly staff whose hard work is evident from the results they achieve

I agree with some of the comments of other reviewers who said that the rooms were in need of an update but this was being done while we were there-not in the area where guests were staying in so it wasn't at all disruptive. When we took a different route to breakfast one day we saw work being carried out in several rooms so I'm sure that the neccessary upgrade was in progress.It's also worth mentioning that the room we stayed in was very well equipped, the bed was amazingly comfortable and the standard of cleaning was excellent.

The selection of food at breakfast was very comprehensive and I can't believe that anyone would be disappointed by it. As another reviewer had, I also celebrated a birthday during my stay and was surprised to be wished a Happy Birthday as we checked in for breakfast.That personal comment alone made the occasion special but I was then presented with a candle-lit chocolate cake (which we later decided was one of the best chocolate cakes we'd ever had) and a chorus of Happy Birthday by the restaurant staff. This was such a nice touch by the management.

Speaking of management, Manish, the General Manager is very visible around the resort and happy to spend time hearing your views. He wandered around the breakfast room one day and spent at least 10 minutes talking to us and listening to our comments. It's obvious that he cares deeply about the experience and memories his guests have of their stay and this is also evident in the way the staff treat guests too. I'm really sad that I can't remember anyone's name in particular but to name just one or two would be unfair as all of the staff were fantastic.

An unexpected, quirky but nice thing happened while we were there. On returning to our room after breakfast one day, not only had it been cleaned as usual, we'd also been left a small tank containing some vegetation and a very attractive blue fish. The accompanying leaflet informed us it was a Siamese Fighting Fish who would reak havoc if placed with other fish but on it's own was happy. It also informed us that the care and feeding would be done by the staff so all we had to do was admire it. It sounds strange but it made our room feel really homely-I loved it.

During our stay there was a Fine Dining Festival hapening in Koh Samui and initially we thought we'd try participating restaurants in other hotels and resorts however the close proximity of Fishernmans Village and the choice and diversity there meant that we didn't. It's just 5 minutes walk from the hotel and extremely good value for money. We tried a different restaurant each time we visited and only one was a slight disappointment.

There was no disappointment at the resort's Full Moon restaurant though, the Head Chef Don, who was also visible and approachable, has created a delicious menu of Thai and fusion food. The prices are not cheap but are right for the quality,innovation and presentation.

We took a couple of excursions while we were there which we booked through the Concierge who was extremely knowledgable about the what was available and found the best options for us. I would reccomend the full day trip to Angthong National Marine Park, a collection of over 40 small islands which we reached by speedboat in just over an hour. Whilst there we swam. snorkelled and kayaked as well as being shown various film locations and rock fomations. As an energetic antidote to sunbathing and pool-side waiter service, it was perfect.

It's also worth visiting the town/city? of Chaweng which is just 15 minutes away by taxi, to see any of the ladyboy shows like Starz or Moulin Rouge. Entry is free but as you'd expect the drinks are in small glasses and are expensive, but if you expect and accept that, it's a unique and worthwhile experience. Many of the ladyboy artists are staggeringly beautiful. Chaweng itself is very loud and touristy,a great place to visit for a crazy night out but not to stay, and probably not traditionally Thai in many aspects.

We usually don't revisit any holiday location because until we've been everywhere once we believe there's always somewhere new to discover but if we found ourselves in Samui again we would definitely book into the the calm and relaxing Anantara Bophut. Bliss!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

WOW!
Thank you very much for your detailed review! It is amazing and we feel very proud having made such an impression!
Our top priority is to ensure that our guests have the most enjoyable and relaxing stay with us, and go home with a happy memories, mission done! We are delighted to read that you would consider coming back again if in Samui, thank you very much!
Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We have just spent a wonderful week at the Anantara Resort at Bophut on the lovely island of Koh Samui. The hotel is well laid out with an impressive entrance off the island's main ring road, complete with whistle blowing guard. On arrival we were instantly welcomed and offered a cooling juice drink while we checked in. This was quick and efficient and we were soon shown to our room, which was a double size with twin balconies. It had everything you could want.
Big positives about our stay were: the main infinity pool is great with plenty of palm trees for shade if that is what you need; steps straight onto the beach with more loungers and parasols etc and a roped off swimming area (but sand is a bit coarse due to finely broken coral); breakfast is comprehensive catering for every nationality's food preferences; the Full Moon restaurant overlooking the pool and sea, whilst expensive, is very good and was easily the best quality meal of our stay; the staff were always smiling and very helpful.
Slight niggles were few: the advertised 'free' wi-fi/internet is only for 30 minutes a day and you have to pay for any more (which in my view these days is not what I would expect); we went during the low-season so it was not crowded but I would imagine that during peak times the pool especially can get very busy and noisy, as it doesn't feel big enough for the number of rooms.
Other points worth noting: the hotel is a short walk along the beach/seafront to the Fisherman's Village which has a good range of restaurants and shops - we ate out there most nights at modest cost and enjoyed every meal; we booked through sawadee.com which was cheaper than direct with Anantara.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued guests,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
It is difficult to leave a place when having a good time, and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us that much!!
Please feel free to contact us when planning your next trip to Samui!