My wife and I stayed at The Anantara Bophut for two weeks in September 2012.
It is probably best if I break down this review...
Rooms; We stayed in a standard room which was very pleasant. The rooms are unfussy, but spacious and tastefully decorated, as well as being very clean and comfortable. The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept far too well! You are provided with two bottles of drinking water per day, but if you ever need more just call down to reception and more will be delivered surprisingly quickly.
Dining; We ate almost exclusively at The Eclipse Bar (same menu as High Tide) as the setting was very attractive, especially if you sit outside with all of the greenery around you. The Thai food was excellent and always presented well. Cost is about average for a 4/5 star hotel... as far as I am concerned definitely not over priced. The service here was superb, Janet and Panida in the bar were always delightful. They really made us feel at home!!!
Pool area; Never too busy, with plenty of staff wandering around taking drinks and food orders.Service was always efficient and non-intrusive. The pool itself was gorgeous, if perhaps slightly small.
Spa; I highly recommend trying the spa, the whole experience was a joy from beginning to end. The staff were excellent and the area itself was of outstanding beauty. A real treat. It is fairly expensive, but you get what you pay for and it is well worth it!!!
The little touches are what really made our stay complete at this hotel (forgetting briefly the beautiful rooms, and perfectly decorated communal areas). Every day housekeeping would leave a hand written note which was very sweet and always put a smile on our faces. Sun cream and fruit being offered around the pool was also a nice touch as well as insect repellent offered in the evenings.
All in all, I would definitely recommend the Anantara Bophut, in its own right a wonderful hotel. We were very happy there!!!
There is, however, a drawback. This was my first trip to Koh Samui and I was fully aware that it was likely to be touristy... however I was a little shocked by just how touristy Bophut was. From other reviews, I had expected Bophut to be small, with shops and Thai street food. It definitely was not like this! Full of French and Italian restaurants (which I avoided like the plague - I cannot understand why anyone would go to Thailand and eat pasta when the local food is so incredible!!!) and full of souvenir tat shops.
That said, Bophut is however probably the best beach area in Koh Samui. We visited Chaweng and found that to be a painful experience because it was even more touristy.
My advice is to travel more inland as once you get away from the beaches, there are fantastic local restaurants and shops. Arrange with a taxi a fixed cost for them to take you around to some key areas and ask them where to eat. Just remember to agree a price up front!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a tranquil stretch of sand, Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa offers guests inimitable luxury comforts coupled with world renowned Thai hospitality. Enjoy water sports on the Gulf of Thailand's placid warm waters whilst residing at our elegant Samui resort. Soak in the sun by Anantara's elegant beachfront pool with stunning sea views or on Bophut's peaceful beach. Unwind with one of our specially developed Anantara spa packages. Dine on fiery Thai curries and handmade Italian pastas overlooking the ocean. Anantara Bophut presents a Koh Samui resort lifestyle that is quite unlike any other, from Bill Bensley designed tropical gardens which complement the charms of Fisherman's Cove on Bophut Beach, to southern Thai architecture which reflects our local cultural heritage, and world class amenities enhanced by Anantara's unique design touches. A wealth of leisure facilities and experiences from windsurfing and sailing to spa, beach yoga, tennis, cooking classes and area excursions help you to make the most of Koh Samui's stunning natural and cultural attractions. While complimentary Wi-Fi Internet at our Lobby and Library, in the Eclipse Bar, High Tide and Full Moon restaurants, as well as poolside, allows you to keep up to date with the world. In short, Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa brings you all of the island's riches with Anantara's distinctive gracefulness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Bophut Hotel Bophut
- Anantara Bophut Resort And Spa
- Anantara Koh Samui Hotel
- Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort Ko Samui