Stayed at the Anantara for 12 nights in April 2012 for what was a relaxing and enjoyable Thailand / Singapore Holiday.
I was sold on Bophut very early when making the booking and settled on the Anantara after narrowing down a long list of what well respected hotels. What I will give here is an honest assesment of what I thought. Some of the reviews of this hotel make it sound ridiculously poor and its not but there are a couple of points I will make below that I wish I had known before I booked.
So the positives first, and there were many. The hotel is in a great location just five minutes walk from the restaurants and bars in Fishermans Village and 10 minutes from the frenetic nightlife in Chaeweng. We had an Anantarra Royal Suite (Room 301) which was fantastic with 2 balconies, 1 directly looking over the beach and the other over the pool. The room was spotlessly clean, large and had all the modern amenities I would expect including free wifi - which is normally chargeable.
The service and friendliness across the hotel was outstanding. All staff went out of their way to be courteous and friendly. Drinks and food were good (if a little pricey) and happy hour was most welcome. The grounds, pool, sunbeds, gardens and all buidlings were spotless and the hotel had a lovely relaxing laid back air about it, I slept brilliantly every night and as I said before I had a very relaxing holiday. This is a perfect hotel for couples and honeymooners (of which there were many) and possibly less so for children (more of that later).
Now the negatives. The hotel was full in the first week with two weddings and during this time there were simply nowhere near enough beds round the pool for the number of people at the hotel. The usual debacle of sunbed reservation was a common problem with us having to go to the beach on most mornings - after arriving at the pool after breakfast to find all beds reserved with nobody on them. After lunch one day I walked by the pool to find one bed free in the shade, which I decided to sit on. The next 5 beds along from me were reserved with clothes and towels. Almost 3 hours later, a woman wandered in from the beach, picked up the clothes and wondered off to her room. This kind of selfish behaviour is bad enough when you have a couple of hundred sunbeds but when you have around 50 you need to do something about it. There was a sign up stating that towels would be removed after an hour but it never happened. The situation eased the second week as the hotel got quieter and we were able to get beds but this hotel really needs to find a way to tackle this issue because it was very frustrating and I don't expect to pay almost £3k for a hotel an not be able to sit by the pool. At the very least the hotel should consider a two bed per room limit.
Secondly this is not a family hotel. It advertises a kids club which we looked in on first day. It was basically full of toddlers and my 11 year old daughter never went near it again. My advice would be that if you have children over 5 or 6 years old, find a diffrent hotel and this hotel should seriously consider going couples only.
Finally there is a potential issue that any family should consider before booking one of the suites. They are beautiful but they are very open plan !! You can see into the toilet, the bathroom everywhere. Fine for a couple but with a nosy, mischevious 11 year old this can cause some embaressing issues !! This wasnt a problem for us but others should be aware.
However, these small niggles didn't ruin a good holiday. The Anantara is great for the right people but I probably wouldn't go back again unless I was going without my daughter (which is a few years away yet)
Advice for management - sort out the sunbeds. Its incredibly annoying. A lot of people only lay towels out because they se others doing it. Stop the first few people and you won't have an issue
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a tranquil stretch of sand, Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa offers guests inimitable luxury comforts coupled with world renowned Thai hospitality. Enjoy water sports on the Gulf of Thailand's placid warm waters whilst residing at our elegant Samui resort. Soak in the sun by Anantara's elegant beachfront pool with stunning sea views or on Bophut's peaceful beach. Unwind with one of our specially developed Anantara spa packages. Dine on fiery Thai curries and handmade Italian pastas overlooking the ocean. Anantara Bophut presents a Koh Samui resort lifestyle that is quite unlike any other, from Bill Bensley designed tropical gardens which complement the charms of Fisherman's Cove on Bophut Beach, to southern Thai architecture which reflects our local cultural heritage, and world class amenities enhanced by Anantara's unique design touches. A wealth of leisure facilities and experiences from windsurfing and sailing to spa, beach yoga, tennis, cooking classes and area excursions help you to make the most of Koh Samui's stunning natural and cultural attractions. While complimentary Wi-Fi Internet at our Lobby and Library, in the Eclipse Bar, High Tide and Full Moon restaurants, as well as poolside, allows you to keep up to date with the world. In short, Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa brings you all of the island's riches with Anantara's distinctive gracefulness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Bophut Hotel Bophut
- Anantara Bophut Resort And Spa
- Anantara Koh Samui Hotel
- Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort Ko Samui