“Great holiday!”

Ranked #16 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Delaware
“Great holiday!”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We went for our marriage anniversary in last week of September ' 2011.
It was the best Thai trip for us so far.

Bop hut resort is neatly located next to beach , infact their villas have a separate entry/ exit to private beach.Staff was excellent - smiling , greeting guests , enquiring about their stay and if everything was fine. They arranged for sparkling wine, cake on day 1 when they learnt about our anniversary.
Whilst we were gone for a meal on day 2 - they arranged bed/ bathtub arrangement with rose petals etc - which was awesome.

We had thai food at their Thai restaurant and drinks at full moon ( Italian - beautiful location) - even asked them to serve wine ( which they delivered to our room a day before) - they happily agreed . Food was good , a bit expensive compared to nearby fisherman village , but still worth trying.

We had to attend Anantara promotion ( as our deal came with it ) - it was good, informative.
Igor was nice, friendly and did not push too hard ( against so e earlier reviews I read on this forum before )

Infinity pool is good.
Resort landscaping is brilliant. We spend most of time within the resort.
They have free Internet in library ( which is amazing w.r.t decor ) and guests can take DVD for free viewing in their rooms ( collection is okay)

Front office staff was great , beach was clean ! We went in mid weeks and loved less crowded beach .
We tried their award winning spa - relaxing and worth a shot,
All in all - a fantastic trip , we'll go there again !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EnnEmm1980
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your Anantara Experience. We are very happy to see that you have left with such an impression that you already want to come back in our paradise!! Don’t wait too long!

Manish Jha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed in the Anantara resort on our honeymoom in March 2010. Really nice reception and staff were so friendly. The service was excellent and the hotel was very clean and beautifully decorated.
Good food and pool area was really nice. The staff cannot do enough for you.
Also had a free upgrade to a suite half way through the holiday. Wow!!
This is a hotel that I will definatley return to when I have the chance. In a word....STUNNING!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share not only your experience but also your pictures! Your feedback has been shared with the team, and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards,
Reviewed October 3, 2011

If u want to stay in boput. The only place s anantara. We went for few different places around this area and nothing compare to here. Best beach, best location. Not too close and near fisherman village. Service s highly impressive and flawless international standard. Room s amazing. And hotel has v beautiful tropical garden with design.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback, this is such a great motivation tool for the team! We are very happy to be your favorite place in Bophut area!!! Looking forward to welcoming you back!
Best regards,
Macau, China
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My fiance (we got engaged in this resort) and I were looking for a nice resort to spend 10 days before going back to work.
Both of us travel a lot so we stay a lot in hotels and resorts. Thailand is one of my favorite destinations and Koh Samui is one of my favorite islands. We decided to choose Bophut because we really wanted to relax.
The overall stay was great but with a few hiccups on the way...basically from the 2nd day till we check out, little things that i wasn't expecting form a 5 star property...maybe we got too spoiled in other resorts, so our standards are really high...i will name a few:

1- Room looked a bit different from the website. Furniture looked "old and tired", The bath tub door/window were stained in black mold on the glue parts and edges (bad maintenance), Bath room doors have that blurred paper for privacy but you can still see it to the inside (very clearly), so watch out when you are leaving your room at the same time someone is using the toilet because whoever passes by while you are opening the room door can be actually see what's going on in the bath room (it happened).
The toilet amenities are so poor, first time we didn't see a toothbrush kit available, things that we only notice if we forget ours at home!!!!A/C quite noisy.

2-After a rainy night, as we woke up we saw maybe 2 or 3 water "pools" by the room entrance near our closet and luggage :( luckily it didn't ruin our belongings
Room floor had 3 different water "pools" near the closet area. We called the maintenance and after 5 min they fixed it.

3-Breakfast good, loved the eggs and asian corner BUT little choice...really, i have seen nicer and with more choice.

4-At the swimming pool area we were bombarder with "for VIP members only, guests are not allowed", "exclusive for VIP members, not for hotel guests", "vip members acess only".We heard it from a foreign staff while giving a tour to a couple, maybe introducing their vacation club package. My boyfriend and I looked at each other, like" we are not VIPS" but we just spend $$$$$$ in your resort. Don't take me wrong, we are not the VIP kind but hello?having it heard over and over it almost made feel not important at all (for the hotel, as guest...if you know what i mean).

5- My fiance proposed me in the beginning of our stay.It was a beautiful surprise planned with the hotel staff. (Of course i just knew what happened after the proposal). So we played tennis and went back to the room, as we arrive i saw a huge tray at the room entrance (someone had forgotten there) a bottle of champagne in ice over the mini bar, 2 champagne glasses a bit misplaced, chocolates and a fruit plater over THE TOILET BOWL!I got surprised and i even asked if we were in the right room. Meanwhile my fiance asked me to go outside as he had to prepare what the staff didn't understood. Fill the bath tub, place the rose petals, light the candles etc..We went to the dining by design at the beach (impressive, we both loved it, out butler was amazing, service was great..really a night to remember), we arrived to the room to find the whole bath tub and toilet set up even the bed was decorated (lack of communication even though my fiance was very clear to set up before dinner not after dinner) - well we didn't mind because we were extremely happy with the occasion, but still :D

6- Ordered room service, didn't feel very fresh but we still ate :( by 7 am my fiance woke up trowing up!!!!!!with really bad stomach pain...it lasted the whole day. It was clearly a bacteria reaction from the dinner as we ate at 23pm and the previous meal we had was at 14.I went to the reception to ask if they have any medicine, the apologize and said it might had been from weather?!?since their products are the freshest and it never happened before, well it can happen...i have no doubt about it, it can happen but don't give me the weather excuse. I never heard such thing!Politely she voided the meal from the bill.

7- Last day!!!Room service still: Ordered a salad (for prevention) with loads of things in there as described in the menu, room service came with a simple and tasteless salad with nothing that was described in the Menu?!?AND had things that was not even written in the original salad not even one - green leafs salad with peppers and onions INSTEAD of green leafs, dried cranberries, dried tomatoes (can't remember exactly). I even doubled checked if we had to choose our own ingredients or there was more than 1 salad...BUT NO!!!At this point, both of us were reaching a "can't be bothered point" and actually kind of happy to go back home....it never happens!

8-last but not the least. You can only log in with the internet 3 times...we had 2 nights and days with heavy rain and storm, electricity was shut maybe 2 to 3 times in the whole hotel...guess what?!?we had to pay extra because we logged in more than 3 times and we never get to use the 24h plan because of the log in policy.Watch out with that. There is no Free WIfi anymore as stated in the hotel services.

Well, this is just a few hiccups we found on the way. The resort is beautiful, the gym is good enough for daily routines and practice, beach is nice, swimming pool is beautiful too, we loved the hotel lobby and the gardens (spa and lotus).We really got inspired over there. People ask us how the hotel and the stay...we say that there was something missing, the whole warmth, the extra care...yeah, there was definitely something missing.Will we go back?i don't think so...Will we recommend?probably. We have seen and had better.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FamilyYogaSpa
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Dear valued guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, with both positive & not so positive points! And congratulations on your engagement!

Your comments have been discussed during our daily morning meeting, and the concerned departments have investigated the matter and taken corrective measures to make sure this will not happen again.

Our 1st priority is guests satisfaction, and we feel bad that you have felt “let down” during such a special occasion.
Should you decide to come back to Koh Samui, please do not hesitate to visit us, it would be our pleasure to host you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we are all looking forward to WOW you on your next trip to the island.

Hong Kong
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed for one night at Anantara in a 3/F Deluxe Room. The lush landscaping and Moroccan-style lamps and pavilions make the place seem magical, day or night. Had a nice afternoon tapas and tea at Eclipse Bar. The Library is a beautifully-designed space for internet and reading. And the staff is to be commended, they were all courteous, polished and helpful. However, given the overall beauty of the resort, my room was rather plain in comparison, and in particular the furniture was visibly worn (isn't the resort just a few years old?)

Anantara does have a great location next Fisherman's Village, where there are several good restaurants (try Krua) which are less expensive than the resort's. And it's just a 10-min drive to the more lively Chaweng area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank chiaze
Dear valued guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.
It is such a motivation for the team, from the gardeners, taking care of our beautiful gardens, to the front line associates.

We have noted your comments regarding the furniture in the room: a maintenance program is in place, and has re-started as we are now going slowly towards the low season.

Once again, thank you for your time, we are all looking forward to welcoming you back.

UK
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I was a little concerned about staying at this hotel having read some of the reviews on here, however I was pleasantly surprised by my stay.
It was my birthday and the hotel had arranged for a cake and a message to be spelt out on my bed for me, which was a lovely touch.
We had the standard rooms and had a twin room. The bathroom (as commented by some people) was not the most appropriate for a twin room as it had frosted glass sliding panes instead of actual walls, I’m sure this was be romantic for a bath, but in terms of being on a non-romantic holiday or actually showering or using the toilet it was not ideal in my view, although this could be down to personal taste.
There were some nice touches in the room, such as a yoga mat, flip flops, fruit, water etc. This was really nice. The balcony to the room was also a really nice space.
The hotel itself was pretty quiet and we had no issues getting sunbeds by the beach or the pool, and we often didn’t look until the afternoon due to going out in the morning.
We did not use the hotel spa, but had massages in the place outside and opposite the spa which were really nice and reasonable.
We did not eat in the hotel except for breakfast (which was nice), we ate out in fishermans village. I preferred the places further into the village that were cheaper and less ‘glamorous’ looking as they food was so much nicer. We did eat in the prettier places, but found the food was more tailored to tourists and less authentic.
Friday night is market night which is great and you can get cheap cocktails and street food which was great.
We did not find the hotel concierge at all helpful and booked trips ourselves. The dive school outside of the hotel and a bit further up the beach were really really great – had a brilliant day out diving with them.
One thing I did find annoying was that we were invited to a talk about the vacation club, being genuinely interested I went along to have the talk and was told that as I was not a married couple (the hotel booking was in my name and clearly was not for a married couple) I was not the sort of person they wanted and therefore I could not attend the talk. I’m sure this was not meant to be insulting, but nonetheless I was offended by this.
Another thing to be aware of is that the staff are all friendly and helpful, although their understanding of English does vary a lot. I’m not complaining about this at all, as we were in Thailand afterall, but if you do have problems with anything (as we did but not about the hotel) it can be quite difficult to get help sorting these out.
Overall I really enjoyed the hotel and was impressed by it, it seems a solid 4star to me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Sarah6969pink
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in our resort. Your comments have been discussed with all our team, including Vacation Club. It is a great motivation tool for our associates, and at the same time helps us monitoring & improving our services.
We are happy to see that you have enjoyed all the little touches which we do for our guests to make their special occasion a memorable one!
We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another celebration.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 21, 2011

The hotel was very good – we had a spacious room which gave out onto the garden. At night the garden was magical – with all the lamps lit up.

Good points:

1.) There was yoga offered three times a week but given the popularity, it should be offered daily. The yoga was in the garden, which was infested with mosquitoes. I think the hotel would benefit greatly from a daily yoga programme, which is feasible in their beautiful gardens.
2.) The spa was beautiful. I had a full body massage and a Shirodhara massage (with the oil on the forehead). The first massage was very good and well worth the money. The second massage, however, was not good value for money. The oil was far too hot and the woman was busy fiddling with the equipment for it to be a relaxing experience. The massages on the beach were 300 baht and had I seen those earlier, I would have indulged in more of those massages. The spa really is gorgeous, though, and feels like paradise.
3.) All in all this is an excellent hotel – very good for families. That said, if you want a place just for adults, you may want to try somewhere else.

Not so good points:
1.) We did some SCUBA diving with Easy Divers and the concierge helped us to organize that, making us believe that they were familiar with this company. When, however, we wanted to cancel the second day of diving (as we were not thrilled with the instructor), we found that the hotel didn’t really have any relationship with Easy Divers – they just had a brochure. This was a little disconcerting.
2.) The food was disappointing. Breakfast was including in the room rate an was very good. The lunch and dinner were not only expensive but also disappointing. I would suggest going down along the beach to some of the more low-key places. We stopped at some places where we had meals and drinks for 2 people for about 700 baht.
3.) The major downside to this hotel was the constant trying to sell us a view of the new premises next door. Every concierge mentioned it, as did the beach and pool attendants. I would have done it but given the pestering, I was so annoyed and walked away.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms which give onto the garden - they are enormous and oh-so-luxurious...bath in the mi...