“Relaxation, Location, Traditional Thai Feel - Wonderful”

Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #16 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Dubai
“Relaxation, Location, Traditional Thai Feel - Wonderful”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in a King Suite with two balconies and view of the beach and over the pool area. The room was large and had traditional furniture, four poster bed (king or bigger), day beds on both balconies, and a huge bathroom. The bathrooms may need updating soon but there was no problem at all. Favourite touches in the room: beach bag, yoga mat and umbrella! The check in was great, welcome drink and cold towel and I was taken to my room, which was reached by walking along the lilly pool (all lit by fire torches after dark - wonderful). The beach is on a slope down to the sea so you kind of feel as if you are falling off your sunbed but the pool guys helped with getting the bed as level as possible and helped with moving the parasols around. There is a massage hut next to the hotel which shuts at 6pm so get to them by 4.30pm to avoid missing your last foot rub of the day (300 bhat). There are loads of massage places out of the hotel on the main road too so if the spa is booked or you think it's overpriced (which I did - expensive by Dubai standards even) don't hesitate to try these places. OK, so you don't get the same experience, but if you just want a quick treat, 300 bhat as opposed to 4,000 bhat works for me. Breakfast was great, plenty of choice, and the dinner I had at the Full Moon restaurant was really wonderful. The Eclipse bar does a fantastic margarita - highly recommended. I mainly ate out at restaurants in the Fisherman's Village (3 minute walk beach side); lots of choice and good value. The pool area got a bit crowded for me and the beds are quite close together but the pool is amazing, and there is a swim up bar. There's a happy hour at the pool bar 5-6pm daily, worth getting involved with. The other guests were a lovely mixture of couples and families so a good choice for relaxation. My only niggle - one night there was a 'staff party' at some place close (but outside the hotel) and the music was really loud (I mean really loud) until about 1am. I called reception many times, spoke to the duty manager etc and while I appreciate it wasn't their problem (which they kept telling me - yes, I know) I just felt they didn't handle it well at all. They kept telling me it was only going on for another 30 minutes, then another 30 minutes etc. I think a little note under the door from management just to advise their guests would have been a better way to approach this, rather than waiting for guests to complain (and I'm not a complainer by the way!). A lovely touch on my first night was a 'sleep well' message from housekeeping, with my name painted in gold on an acutal leaf! Beautiful. I had originally booked the Hansar next door, but then got a fabulous rate here with Jetsetter so moved. The Hansar, like it's sister in Bangkok (where I stayed) is a cool, urban, sleek property (a bit of a concrete eyesore from the outside), and it's on the roadside (route to Fisherman's village) while not noisy, super busy, means you are literally on your sunbed by the side of the street, as there is no vegitation to separate you from the road. I'm sure it's rooms are ultra modern and stunning, but if you want to experience a true Thai feel then I would go for the Anantara. If you want modern simplicity then go with the Hansar. I think a nice touch for the pool side/beach days would be a cold towel - easy to do and no cost to the hotel but would be well appreciated by the guests (me anyway!), also I think the happy hour in the Eclipse would work well earlier than the current 10pm time slot. Overall, loved it and was very sad to leave.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank LovinEveryMinute
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your comments and we are glad to know that you had a wonderful time at Anantara Bophut. We hope you would give us many more opportunities to serve you our best.

Manish Jha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This resort and grounds are great. The staff are really helpful and the food is amazing.

However, there are some issues and a word of warning to future guests.

> During your stay staff will invite you to a presentation where you will receive 3500 baht. They will try and sell you a holiday club membership. This is a scam. The membership costs thousands of pounds and they will get you to sign a contract where you pay hundreds of pounds in maintenance fees per year. It's a legitimate scam and warn all those travelling not to buy.

> the air conditioning in the room broke 4 times during a one week stay.

> the spa is way over priced and the restaurants are expensive to the point of pure greed. They charge service fees on everything.

Do not use there hotel airport transfer. You can order a taxi for half the price.

As a result lovely peaceful resort. But there are better in bophut such as the 4 seasons and zazan boutique resort.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank allannanva
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear valued guest,

Firstly, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at Anantara Bophut. I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to write to us and share the concerns and frustrations that you encountered during your stay at the resort.

Since you mentioned about the presentation I would like to make you aware that the presentation offered to you was from Anantara Vacation club which is part of our brand and at no point a scam. It is completely up to the choice of our guest to join the presentation and for those who take the time out to join are as a gesture of goodwill offered a voucher worth THB 4,500 after the presentation and that can be used in our resort too or at choices mentioned. We do have lot of owners who have taken the membership and are enjoying the privileges.

The air-conditioned issue that you mentioned was an unfortunate odd case and you may understand that it might happen at any resort, however should you remember we moved you to another room to ensure your comfort.

Again, thank you for sharing your point of view and praising about the food and staff with our readers, I am personally truly sorry we were not able to please you entirely and my team and I will continue working hard in our efforts to please every customer.

Manish
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had the MOST amazing 2 weeks here with our 4 children , who said it was the BEST holiday they had been on. Our 6 year old daughter couldn't wait to go to the kids' club every morning at 10 am & cried when she left to go to the airport . Mo at the kids' club had given her SO much attention & kept her occupied all day long !! The staff were so friendly and polite & NOTHING was ever too much trouble ! The GM Mr Jha was truly exceptional & seemed to have his finger on the pulse of everything that was going on at the hotel ! My husband had been unwell with an ear infection from diving & we came back one afternoon to 2 swans made out of towels & the bed strewn with petals with a get well note from the GM & staff.( that is just 1 example of the amazing attention to detail ) With the deputy GM Celine they run an extremely efficient operation . All the staff were brilliant ! W The spa was also a fantastic experience in a gorgeous setting ! Breakfast was good & we were never rushed even although we always stayed on drinking copious cups of tea while the staff were tidying up. Went into Chaweng a few times which is pretty commercialised & hectic , but nice to visit for shopping etc.Made us really pleased we were near the Fisherman's village which is much more tasteful.The pool was fantastic with a great setting & a cool swim up bar!! We went out to a different restaurant every night & also had 2 great dinners at the hotel itself. Our 13 year & 10 year olds did a diving course with Bophut Diving school in the Fishermans Village who were great . You can be as busy as you like or as laid back as you like !!! Overall we had a FANTASTIC 2 weeks & can't wait to go back to the Anantara again - it was a VERY positive experience for everyone in the family!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 711Happy
Bangalore, India
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Amazing Hospitality, service, rooms, pool. One of the best resorts I have been too. A Little expensive but not that bad. The pool is good, nice view, nice bar but corners have dangerous suction pumps. Ask for a room upgrade, if available, they will give it to you.

Room Tip: Amazing rooms, the suite is great, ask for a free upgrade, they will give it to you.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank monti421
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and we are happy to see that we created an extraordinary impression for you to return back in our paradise.

Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights. We hadn't planned on staying here however our initial choice of accommodation in Koh Samui was terrible and so we came across the Anantara. We stayed in a King Suite which was located on the bottom floor but it was great. The room was huge with a large king bed, and seperate sitting area, spa and the TV turned 360' so you could watch from anywhere!

The pool area was great, with plenty of sun beds and one good thing is that if your seat has been left unattended for an hour they move your things which means guests can't save seats for hours on end and leave guests that actually want to use them without one.

Breakfast provided a good selection of hot foods, including local dishes, plenty of pastries and fruit, they even make proper coffees!

The location was set on a lovely beach with water sports available and cheap massages. Bophut Fishermans village is only a short walk and there are many many restaurants to choose from and every Friday night there are markets with plenty of food and clothes stalls.

We would definitely recommend you hire a scooter for 200baht a day, or 350baht for the larger more comfortable ones to get in and around Samui.

One thing I don't recommend is the tailor across the road from the Anantara (think it was called Milano, it's the one next to the family mart)...overpriced and never had things ready when they said they would.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lovethetravellife
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review. I do believe our future guests will find this extremely helpful. Guest satisfaction is always on our priority. We are also glad that you liked the resort and food which is the essence of Anantara Bophut.

Thank you once again, and looking forward to welcoming you back!”

N. Calif
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed with 12yr old and 8yr kids. The place was a delight! All staff were extremely friendly...they even host a cocktail party on Thursdays where the staff really engaged with you. Both restaurants at the resort were nice...we also walked into town (about 200 yards away down the beach) for some great meals. The breakfast buffet had everything you could think of and they didn't mind if you ate quickly or if you hung out for a while to read your paper (wireless also worked in the breakfast area). Pool is really great with an awesome swim up bar under the vines. Our kids had a great time as guests at the resort were quite friendly as well. We booked a single room (on a budget as it was part of a 15d trip from US) that was lovely...awesome deep tub and really comfortable bed. Our friend booked a suite with it's own pool that was gorgeous - like your own house almost. Used the gym while I was there too...it was not just an extra room converted into a gym...roomy and modern equipment. I highly recommend and would go back as we had no complaints.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for all your lovely comments. Your comments are a great source of motivation and help us improve each time. We are glad that you liked every aspect of Anantara Bophut as we try hard to make all our guests take fond memories with them. We are happy that we succeeded in this during your visit. We hope that you would return to give us the opportunity to serve you once again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 25, 2011

If you love gardens and flora within a zen like atmosphere, you will love this resort!

From the moment you approach the front gate of the Anantara, which ultimately leads through the lush entrance gardens to the lobby, you become aware that this is an exceptional resort.

The resort lobby, large and beautifully decorated, offers more views over the vast central garden and pond that dominate hotel grounds and which most rooms overlook (unless u book a sea view).

The room I occupied (standard garden view) was of average and comfortable space with a balcony overlooking the central garden. Bed was comfortable and wide.

Food and drinks at the resort were generally very good (recommend the samui sling at the pool bar) albeit slightly overpriced which is normally expected at exclusive resorts in Thailand.

Beach/pool area very nice although the beach is not for swimming (too dirty and murky).

The Anantara Spa was splendid. An exceptional experience. expensive? Absolutely! with an average 1 hour massage up to 60 GBP which is considered overpriced in Thailand. however, your not just paying for the massage, your paying for the experience from start to end. The complimentary drinks, private massage suite, customized pressure, etc.
Would recommend trying at least 1 treatment ; )

Staff were well-trained and extremely helpful. Majority spoke very good English which is always a plus in Thailand.

And now for the cons! only a few minor ones:
- as mentioned above, the beach was not for swimming which was a bit disappointing.
-the pool area was a bit crowded ( noisy children made it difficult for us to enjoy drinks at the pool bar).
-chaweng beach (a must during the evenings) is about 20 minutes away by taxi and may cost you 300-400 Baht. again, slight expensive for Thailand.

Despite minor issues, enjoyed my 5 nights at the Anantara. Would love to return again but might avoid visiting during the summer months between June and September when its less crowded.

Room Tip: Request an upper level garden view for a more relaxing experience.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Six Senses Samui
Six Senses Samui
#15 of 187 in Bophut
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui

Been to Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort? Share your experiences!