“Thai New Year! What fun!”

Samui Palm Beach Resort & Hotel
Ranked #41 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had been to Thailand before (Phuket) and really enjoyed it. I must say that on the drive to the hotel I was a little disappointed with the main streets and thought I'd made a mistake in picking Koh Samui. However once you turn into the entrance for the hotel it made me relax. We were greeted by the friendly staff in reception and given a cold drink of something. It very sweet and wasn't very nice. A cold coconut would have been far more welcome. Anyway that said we were shown to our room which was a good size. It smelled a bit, I think it needed airing but it was very clean. After travelling for almost 24 hours you really don't care! We put on the air con and got ready to explore. The hotel is situated slap bang on the beach which was great. The grounds like the hotel are well kept and has some nice touches with the antiques and furniture in the common parts. The pool facing the beach was like getting into a bath. Bliss! The big sun loungers facing the sea were great as you got a little bit of breeze to help with the 34 degree heat.
We didn't eat in the hotel apart from breakfasts which were plenty full and varied. The Chefs on the eggs station were great but it was amazing to stand there and listen to some guests just say 'eggs, both sides, or just 'Omlette' No please or thank yous. No manners. Tut tut!
Anyway we had not realised that our dates co-incided with the Thai New Year. The morning started off with the monks arriving to collect their Alms and then say prayer. The colours of their robes against the backdrop of blue skies and the beach/lawn was amazing. Once they had gone the party began. The Thai people wear these fabulous floral shirts rather then their normal uniforms and they began dancing around the pool to a music system which they took with them on a cart. Outside at the front of the hotel it was the craziest thing we have ever seen. People were driving in trucks with barrels of water, water pistols and just about anything else they could get to chuck water over each other. On the road side it was the same. The music was pumping, people were dancing and everyone was drenched! Great fun! They also pasted everyone on the face with a talcom powder and water mixture (not sure what that bit was for) The Songkran festival is a buddhist festival and the water is to cleans. Everyone looked so happy.
The hotel wasn't too busy on the first week of our trip which was nice and as the easter holidays kicked in it got a bit busier. The same with the main town in Cheweng. We had been warned it would be crazy but at this time of the year It was quite. Tuk Tuks were a rip off. There was price for local people of 15/20 bhat per ride but 100 bhat each for foreigners. We ended up renting a bike and had a great time touring the island and seeing the sights. There was a fantastic restaurant about 15 minutes down the road called Krua Bang Po which served great food and was right on the beach. Hardly saw any tourists there. The restaurants in town all basically offer the same fish menus and to be honest you're probably better off ordering off the main menus. You can get great fish in the Walking Street (as well as Chicken, Cocktails etc) There is another street not far from there which has live music three nights a week which is also good and has a little market and food stalls.
If you are into Muay Thai there is a great gym for training called Superpro Samui which is close to the Bangkok Samui hospital. My husband trained there for over one week and really enjoyed it.
Overall it was a great holiday, the hotel was good and I would definitely recommend it. Not sure if I will go back there next year but I will definitely return to Thailand.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen F

Reviewed April 7, 2014

what an amazing suite we had in the royal dulux wing, so spacious and clean, the pool is huge and very clean, the food here is also very very good, staff could be more pleasant though !!! we stayed at the world resort for a week previously then a week here and i have to say the staff here could take a few lessons in politeness and friendliness from those in world resort, but had great holiday here, would stay again.

Room Tip: we loved the royal delux wing suite as it was huge and well equipt so i would recommend staying in o...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel R, Manager at Samui Palm Beach Resort & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear poppy003
Thanks you very much for your personal comment about your recent stay with us at Palm Beach Resort.
I am pleased to see that in general you liked rooms, restaurant and hotels ground.
I am aware about your comment in regards of friendliness and do my best to improve this to at least the level of our neighbors.

We would be pleased to welcome you back in the near future and I would like to take this opportunity that thank you again for spending some of your holiday time with us.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Everybody of our friends were fascinated about this place. Great spacious rooms with a nice view. Very nice garden and beach. It was not crowded, so we enjoyed it very much. A free shuttle in the evening to the city. Breakfast was also amazing. We had just problems with the stuff - they dont speak english good, we had problems to undrestand them, either on the reception and pool bar. The WIFI is only in the lobby. Even that its a unforgettable place and I recomend this very much!!! :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Daniel R, Manager at Samui Palm Beach Resort & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Romana S
Thank you very much for your nice personal comment regarding your stay at Palm Beach Resort.
Glad to see that you and your friends enjoyed your holiday with us. Great to see that you felt that the hotel was not crowed even as we have been almost fully booked during the past 2 months (Jan/Feb).
Do understand that English communication can be difficult sometimes...
Once again thank you very much for choosing Samui Palm Beach Resort as your holiday destination and we would be very pleased to welcome you and your friends again in the near future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here for 10 days and enjoyed every minute. Large comfy rooms, excellent service, a giant pool just ouside our door. And one other near the Beach and restaurant. Naturally you could enjoy some massage, that helped.

Dear Medborgeren
Greetings from Samui Palm Beach and thank you very much for your personal comment about your recent stay with us.
Pleased to see that you did like our facilities and offers. Indeed the pools are great and a massages are one thing we should not miss while spending time in Thailand.
Once again thank you very much for staying with and and I hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed in a villa 1 row back from the beach. We were received well at the front desk, the staff do have limited English but we did not have any problem although we did notice that other nationalities, who did not have English as their first language, did have difficulty in understanding. The room was tired and shabby needing some renovation although it was kept superficially clean. Breakfast was ok but choice was limited and the restaurant staff were very unfriendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear John
Thank you very much for your personal comment and good to see that you in general liked your stay at Samui Palm Beach.
The management is aware of the needed attention as you mentioned and plans have been put in place to improve our services and offers (both rooms and property).
Apologies if our staff at the restaurant who did not give you the expected warm welcoming feeling and we do our best to improve this as well.
Regarding your comment about the English skills of our staff I would like to thank you for your comment and understanding. As you mention it can be difficult for guests if not native English speaking to understand Thai-English what can make it hard to communicate...
Once again thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to Palm Beach Resort during a possible new visit to Samui.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Where were the mozzies? We left this hotel on the 19th after a brilliant 2weeks at this hotel and there were no mozzies around us.
We are 70+. My travelling companion is disabled, we were given a downstairs room in the main building and the staff could not be more helpful! the desk had sufficient English to deal with all queries and were so friendly. The housekeeping were great and never waited long for any request.
We had all the free water we needed and it seemed all our minor needs were catered for.
We loved the beach and made friends with the traders who were never a nuisance......the beach was clean and spent quite a lot of time in the sea and the 2 large pools
The trade winds restaurant makes delicious marinara pizzas as well as other food and the beach traders cook and sell corn and satays on their little charcoal grills. The mangoes and pineapples were absolutely delicious.
The rooms are large and so are the bathrooms, air con was very effective
We were not able to walk to fisherman's village but used the cheap shuttle service or taxi.
The restaurant food there is varied and very good and not overpriced
There is no entertainment at this hotel if that is your priority.
The free wifi is not good but the little Thai cafe High Noon just at the hotel gate has very good connection and good Thai and other food....lovely prawn cocktails
The best agent for transfer or trips is samuiislandexplorer run by an English lady Michelle who replies to emails immediately and is so helpful and very reasonable
We really hope we can return next year and meet all the staff again.
Across the road next to the Kingfisher restaurant is an Indian tailor who did a brilliant alteration on a dress for £4...,,,doesn't speak good English but knows his stuff
Hope this helps those who have read previous bad reviews......there are always some wherever
We will be back

Room Tip: Quiet room away from road behind reception deluxe 115.....no steps to worry about if disabled

Dear Joan S
Thank you very much for your great and very detailed personal comment about your last stay with us. I am pleased to see that our staff could meed all your needs and made your stay a memorable one. Good to see that you have used and enjoyed most of our offers as well as local business.
We do our best to improve our wireless but it will need some time as it is a bit more complicated as expected.
However I do look forward to welcome you back next year and wish you all the best and healthiness that you will be able to return to Thailand.

Once again thank you very much for staying with us this year!!!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked this hotel through booking,com and we arrived there about 12ish.

First of all, there were three couples walked in the same time togther, I was being polite and waited in a line, however the girl in the front desk serviced me the last, the whole time while she was serving, she was SHOUTING, I saw her put my passport information with other customers document and while she was comfirming me my booking, she told me other cutomers information, I had to point it out to her, it was wrong name. Excure me, have you heard about Date Protection???

It is a four star hotel and the front desk is the same size as a guest house front desk, the girls there were friendly but all are fake smile and shouting to customer, I could understand for a busy hotel, staff would like to do more booking at the same time but three rooms togther? I don't think any of us received the quanlity service at all! The whole time, I had to ask her, what about wifi, what about this, what about that? I think they should have a check list of what to say to the customers, so every customer hear the same thing.

I was informed I had to wait until 2 o'clock then I can go into the room however all the other couple arrived after me got into there room in 15 mins.

I asked if I could talk to the manager, He, Danil, who is the high light of the story.

He was very rude to me while he talked to me and my husband pointed out he should not talk to me like that, he said people like me need to talk rude, Excuse me, all I ask is to get into the room earlier?

What about customers are always right? what about trying to engaged with your customers? The whole time during the talk, I felt like I am talking to a very immuture person, it was like he tried to argue with me rather than sorting out my request.

The manager informed us the hotel is 98% booked, so I asked him if he could put us in a different room for the first night? - No

My husband asked him if we can drink tea or coffee while we are waiting? he said the facilite is here, you can go to the restaurant if you want? what attitue is that???

Then he said to me, if you are not happy, then cancell your booking now.

We deceied to cancell our booking as it is our honey moon trip and we don't like to deal with a jert like that and after we cancelled the booking, he was being even more rude and tried to ask us to leave the lobby within one minute, hey we need to find a taxi first!

The girls in front desk plus this jurky manager didn;t say sorry the whole time and after the cancellation, no one said anything to us, no one offer to help us to move the luggage out of the hotel.

As a four start hotel, it is reasonable to get busy however people would still expect to receive good service, and from my experice, I would say to everyone - Don't even waste your time and money!

We found a hotel next door, Lawana, right away, a much friendly and nicer hotel, a great sum up!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lili0216

Dear Lili
For quite some time I have considered whether I should even answer your comment or not as not quite fair reflecting what has happened on the day of your arrival...guess our readers have the right that I do so....
We have expected your review on TripAdvisor as you already threatened to do so if we not immediately fulfill your request of being given the room at 12:15am even if you know that check-in time is 2pm as an international standard.
It is correct that some other guests who checked-in at the same time could get their room as this rooms have been returned from leaving guests earlier this morning.
At the time of your arrival our room maids have been working in your assigned room to make it possible to check-in at about 12:45. We just asked to wait for about 30 minutes to get your room what you denied constantly.
We received your booking as honeymoon and as this request is treated with a extra set up we use to provide few minutes more were needed. Our front desk staff as well as myself did try to explain several times that unfortunately we are not able to just allocate any other room during this high occupancy as this would have cause a overbooking where I would have had to relocate other guests to another hotel as overbooked expecting to get their room at Palm Beach. I guess as someone who has studied hotel management (as per your information) you should understand what I tried to explain with no success.
Listening instead of blaming would have helped us all. To accuse me for being the height of the story I will not comment as we both know that is not quite true...
As no solution was accepted I offered you to cancel the booking with no fee what you accepted. You have not been asked to leave the property immediately as you mentioned nor asked for any help to leave the property what we would have provided.
I hope this answer will bring a better understanding to all readers and I do hope that in the future a 30 minute request to wait to get the room assigned before official check-in time will not end in a unhappy experience in any other hotel visited...