“Pure relaxation with wonderful welcoming staff”
Review of The Tongsai Bay

The Tongsai Bay
Ranked #5 of 186 Hotels in Bophut
Lavenham, United Kingdom
“Pure relaxation with wonderful welcoming staff”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Our longer haul winter holidays have normal been a cruise, but after a busy 2013, with a house move, we were looking for a complete rest in one place, with cultural interest. Trailfinders came up trumps with the Tongsai Bay on Koh Samui. With it's own private beach and all rooms and cottages facing the sea, that's a great start. There are more than enough extremely comfortable sun beds for all, and a beach boy on hand to put towels out for you, bring iced water, etc. As an elderly couple, we much appreciated the adults only upper 'Half Moon Pool', with infinity edge, and own sun beds. The water activities equipment, ie Hobie Cat and sea kayak etc, were in excellent order. We stayed in the Beach Front suites, on the first floor, which were best for us, as we could see straight over the bushes to the sea, meanwhile we gained some shading from the floor above. The ground floor suites suited families best, with access straight onto the terraces next to the main and children's pools. Breakfast was utterly wonderful, smoothies made in front of your eyes, ditto anything cooked exactly as you like it, in fact hundreds of offerings to suit every taste. Likewise the three different restaurants around the hotel, which sits in 30 acres of beautifully tended grounds, so that you hardly notice any buildings. The hotel taxi service is another brilliant help. The number one difference to the Tongsai Bay is their fantastic staff. Always greeting with a smile and respectful traditional Thai welcome, they just know exactly what is expected and serve so happily. My wife attended the Thai Cooking class, with visit to the organic garden first, and we both went to a Thai culture and language class, enjoying everything. All the food is so freshly prepared and cooked, a joy in itself. We took a tour around the island, also hired a car for the day, and looked at several of the other main hotels, but decided that the Tongsai Bay was definitely in the best location on the island, and was absolutely perfect!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Tongsai Bay with our son and his partner for 3 nights. It truly was a stunning experience with service and facilities of the highest level.

It is quiet and very relaxed but if you want nightlife you will need to go into town. However, if you want a chilled out relaxing experience in fabulous settings then this is the place for you.

The accommodation is perhaps a little dated in parts but certainly doesn't suffer because of this. Everything was spotless with all accommodation set in the most beautiful of surroundings. There is absolutely no sense of being overcrowded. Tremendous attention has been given to layout and privacy. The accommodation we stayed did have a few steps in it being on a split level. This makes it a bit of a trip if you need to go the loo in the night but all part of the experience! The bath out on balcony was wonderful fun. Very private but great to lay there looking up the sky and listening to the birds. A not to be missed experience!

The staff are excellent. They clearly have real pride in the hotel and the service they provide. We cannot think of anywhere in the world where we have stayed that beats the service of staff at the Tongsai Bay. There is a great attention to detail and getting things right. We were charmed by them and cannot praise them enough.

If you have some mobility problems don't be put off. I have a hip problem and whilst there are steps, providing you are happy to take your time, they are all manageable. Accommodation units are located across the hill leading down to the beach and pools but they have buggies (golf type!) to get you around. These are brilliant and a simple phone call or request to a staff member and they are with you within a couple of minutes.

We used both the pools down by the beach. There was never a time when we had to worry about getting a sun lounger or being cramped up with others. There are lots of loungers as well as private nooks and crannies to settle down in. As soon as you arrive the beach staff are laying out towels and bringing cold water for you. They do this throughout the day as well as bring cold hand towels around to freshen you up plus complimentary fruit slices. If you want more you can order from the beach bar.

The pools are a very good size and again you never felt crowded.

Our son and his partner played tennis with the hotel laying on iced water for them at the courts. Again you don't have to ask. They just organise it.

We ate at 2 of the 3 restaurants on site. Both were excellent and of a very high standard. Not pricey but if you were staying longer you might want to try other options in the town. However we were very pleased with the quality and range of food. Both restaurants are in wonderful settings.

Now for breakfast! Superb - just go for it. As most commentators have said it is absolutely fantastic. A great range of options whatever your taste and fresh breads and cakes baked on site. The breakfasts will certainly fill you for the day or until you are tempted by other delights.

Would we go again - most definitely as soon as we can organise it.

Any regrets - yes not staying longer.

If you get a chance go there. The trip adviser reviews don't lie. If anything they understate the wonders of this terrific hotel and resort.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

There is not enough room to be able to fully describe how amazing this place is! We spent 11 nights of our Honeymoon here and it was out of this world. We went that little bit extra and opted for a Grand Villa because this was a special holiday and we weren't disappointed, the privacy, Space and views are worth every penny. The location is perfect the food was fantastic but without a doubt the best thing about this hotel is the Staff, they cannot do enough for every guest, they are all constantly smiling know your names from day 1 and make you feel welcomed and looked after from AM to PM.
I could go on but without a doubt the best Hotel I have ever stayed in!

Room Tip: The Grand Villas are worth every penny but not sure a Grand Pool Villa would have made the trip any...
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have just returned from our 7th holiday at Tongsai Bay. There have been some changes since last years visit which have improved the pool area and the breakfast kitchen. The Po Lad Bistro menu has been improved and Butlers Restraurant is now doing Tapas three nights each week.

Dont miss out on the Monday beach BBQ which is preceeded by a generous cocktail reception.

The Management and ALL the support staff continue to provide the perfect blend for a smooth operation. Mark (Hotel Manager) and Leissa (General Manager) work hard to ensure everyone is happy.

We enjoyed a month this time and still found ourselves sad to be leaving.

One of the pleasing things about returning each January is meeting up with other regular guests who have become friends.

We like the cottage suites that offer ample space and full sun most of the day as well as a fantastic sea view.

This is an enviroment friendly resort so dont expect motor sports from the private beach.

We hope to return next year and look forward to another warm welcome.

Room Tip: The Cottage suites offer sun all day and lovely sea views..
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Huttongate
Europe
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Staying here at the Tongsai Bay is a real way to refresh your inner batteries!! Beautiful cottages and villas hiding away in lush jungle like areas! The sound of birds and other critters really enhance your stay making you feel at one with nature! The staff are always smiling and ready to grant your requirements as quickly and politely able. The food is first class and the beverages are better priced at happy hour, lol, but still not over the top compared by European standards. The cottages are well furnished with private outdoor baths and loungers, indoors the comfortable beds are covered with romantic mosquito nets, well stocked fridges and bathrooms! First class choice for a romantic relaxing holiday! Only downside is the amount of slopes and steps to get to everywhere, but the obliging golf buggy men are always on hand for a thrilling ride! Will certainly return!!!

Room Tip: Up grade when you get here to a cottage suite!!!
3 Thank Medicma3
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed from January 18th for 10 nights for our honeymoon. We had a cottage and first impressions were amazing, if you check out my previous reviews I have stayed in world class hotels, I was worried about tongsai after reading some reviews about 'dated' furniture. I need not have worried, flat screen tv, four poster 'princess' style bed, on two levels the room was really special. The bath tub on balcony over looking the ocean was prefect I loved having a bath and reading my book out there it was perfect. The windows in the room all open out so it has an open plan feel to the balcony I loved that.
There was exactly 154 steps to our hotel room from the beach, but you can get a buggie within minutes. We were happy for the exercise though.
The beach isn't the softest sand but again reading previous reviews this worried me, again... It was fine, if anything i liked it. We nearly booked SALA hotel and their beach is public, the sand is very soft but the sea is full of people it looks like a post card from Spain in the 90's. I would much rather have a private beach with not as soft sand where I feel I'm safe and my belongings rather than soft public beach.
The resort is very friendly , the layout is perfect, half moon pool is very relaxing and the complimentary water and fruit went down a treat. You only need to raise your red flag and waiters are over in seconds to get you a drink.
Breckfast is good, no different to any other 5 star, I wouldn't say it was the best, breakfast in Dubai was maybe better with more options but I'm just being picky. I love smoked salmon and the smoked Salmon was slimy nothing like what we have here, that may be just thailand however rather than the hotel. The fresh smoothies and juices were much appreciated. PU the smoothie and juice lady was great any juice you wanted she would make. I do a lot of juicing at home so appreciated this every morning.
The gym is very small, however fine for maintaining, 2 treadmills cross trainer step machine and lots of free weights the music system they have is there was great and it over looks the beach so nice and bright with plenty of water stocked in the fridge.
Lunch we had a couple of times in the hotel on the beach, I wasnt happy with the chicken in my thai green curry it was brown, so we didn't pay for it. However I rarely found chicken I liked over there so I stuck to fish. We went the 'the libary' hotel for dinner one evening and they had lovely chicken.
Happy hour!! From5pm-7pm every night, in Thailand things seem to kick off early unlike European holidays where I normally head out for dinner 8.30/9. In Thailand we had to be ready early to get happy hour and head out while there was still a buzz, by midnight fishermans village (a nearby village ) is all closed up! On Mondays they have complimentary cocktails from 6-7 I loved this!
The BBQ on Mondays is gorgeous, however BBQ on Thursday surf and turf night was dissaponting however the fire show they put on is fabulous on Thursday night.
We had two tailor Made suits made and a cashmere coat for myself in Saville row a tailors in cheungmon the local village where the hotel is. There is lots of tailors but we found this to be the best and the men working there very helpful, we were over the moon with our coat and suits.
The local village is within walking distance and most days I walked in for a massage which were about £5 for 1hour much cheaper than the hotel. We also had lunch here again £6/7 for two with drinks it was so cheap!
We got our hopes up before booking as it seemed from trip advisor most people on honeymoon were upgraded, for us this didn't happen, however most other couples were, I think it was as they were only there 4/5 days it seemed if you were here longer you didn't get the upgrade. However I was happy with our room, another couple we met had the same room however I preferred the layout of our cottage, not every cottage is exactly the same , we had room 319 I would want to stay there again. Another couple were upgraded to the hideaway cottage, I didn't even know it existed I didn't see it online, it was beautiful if you have the budget get this, totally private bed on balcony hot tub, it was perfect!
Chawwang is worth a trip, we went most night as we are in our 20's and like to party, return taxi is £16. We ate in fab restaurantes there and partied the night away in Ark bar which is on the beach. We also went to the lady boy show, moulin rouge is the best a real fun night free entry too!
I can't wait to go back to Thailand and we will most defiantly stay here gain, we originally booked melati and our travel agency messed up so changed to tongsai and I was pleased we changed. I visited melati to see for future reference, there beach was nicer sand, but not the cove like shape we had. The adults pool there seems the be in the shade all day! And the pool villas were not so private, bamboo style hedges so you could kind of see in I didn't like it was much as tongsai however I did notice they had an activities board which said football, yoga class, corn on cob and
Something else, that's the only thing I think tongsai lacked more activites but it isn't that type of resort, it's quite and peaceful and at happy hour everyone meets at the beach bar and its very friendly atmosphere. Melati seemed more kiddy friendly.
Also the evening turndown in the room was lovely touch, note you do get cookies in the room every day compimentory however not the afternoon tea you may see people writing on here, that must only be in the pool villas or hideaway cottage.
Good luck in your booking and enjoy :)

Room Tip: 319 cottage very private ocean view (been though you don't pay ocean view price)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Irishcharlie
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The hillside cottages are delightful. The staff are friendly and helpful. The place has an atractive 'old world' charm. Relaxed with an understated eligance. Tapas at Butlers was excellent (we went twice) as is the nightly happy hours at the poolside bar. A very enjoyable stay. I would recommend Tongsai Bay to anyone.

1 Thank Peter H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#22 of 186 in Bophut
Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui
#3 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to The Tongsai Bay? Share your experiences!