“Rustic luxury built around the wildlife. Adult only pool fab”
Review of The Tongsai Bay

The Tongsai Bay
Ranked #5 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in one of the cottages, where you have privacy and a split level abode with a bathtub on the spacius terrace which was great. The accommodations are built inot the hillside so the privacy you have is excellent. The half moon only pool on the hill is a fabulous idea, quiet and no kids allowed but there is a larger pool area for families. For lunch and dinner you can eat in the restaurant on the beach and the servce is excellent. Of course you are not in town and are a captive audience so the food and drinks is at the price you would expect. You can walk down to the closest village and I would recommend dinner at Sala samui hotel on the beach. Its very beautiful. All in all, we had the relaxing holiday we wanted and needed with plenty of space and privacy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,950)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 10 nights at the beginning of February after seeing some of main land Thailand. First impressions were that the guest comes first at this resort. We were greeted by a member of staff at the main reception with an ice cold drink and a chilled towel (just what we needed)! We then checked in from the comfort of the lobby without having to wait around at a desk. The resort layout and facilities were explained to us and then a buggy was arranged to take us to our villa. The resort is very hilly so they offer buggies to and from all locations and never more than a 5 minute wait for these.

We booked a Grand Villa and because it was a special occasion for my wife and me, I ordered a bottle of champagne to be waiting in the room upon our arrival. Unfortunately this didn’t happen, and the lady that showed us to our room had a look of panic on her face. This was very quickly rectified as we were being showed around our villa another member of staff brought champagne. As an apology we were given a free bottle of sparkling wine. I don’t even think my wife noticed!

The villas are of very large proportions with a balcony as big if not bigger than the living area. The balcony’s all look to have outdoor baths on them, perfect for soaking in after a day in the sun. They also have a double gazebo style bed so you can stay in the shade if you want. There is a fridge, dining area and new ice brought to you several times a day. We were also left a small snack every day, which included lovely sandwiches and handmade biscuits. Fresh bottled water is available all over the resort and is in plenty of stock in your rooms for free. The villa its self wasn’t quite up to my expectations for a 5* resort, however, I am very particular. The A/C in the room worked well on one side but was struggling a little in the bedroom area, the shower fittings were a little worn and I would expect a hotel of this standard to have only the best. But in fairness that is my only gripe about the room! Everything else was perfect.

The resort boasts 3 restaurants and has several themed evenings during the week. Our favourite was the beach bbq and the beach cinema evening. The food is expensive in comparison to eating out, but this is a 5* hotel and the quality shows. Breakfast time was very enjoyable, if they haven’t got what you want they will try and find it, but I don’t think anyone would be disappointed or let down with the selection available here. There is a selection of cereals, cooked foods and the most amazing fresh fruit drinks you can imagine. A large selection of pastries and breads and preserves to go with these.

Alcoholic drinks are expensive, particularly wine, however the resort has 2 happy hours per day where drinks are half price, so take advantage! Wine is as always in Thailand very expensive.

The main advantage of this resort is that it has its very own private beach. No pestering from locals trying to sell you a lantern or a map to some lost treasure… There are two swimming pools, the main pool near the beach bar is for everyone, and the half-moon infinity pool for adults only is just 50m away. If you want a good spot at the half moon pool be sure to get up early. Both pools have staff who keep you topped up with lemon water all day and a lovely peppermint chilled towel at around 1pm every day to refresh your no doubt sun kissed skin (lovely touch)!

The resort has its own Spa also. We visited twice. If you are like myself and have never had a Thai massage prior to going to Thailand be warned, this is an intense massage and if you don’t like a bit of pain ask for a very gentle massage. We also had a full sea salt body scrub, Gents; watch out for the paper G-strings…

The resort is located only 15mins from the airport but you never hear any aircraft. The local towns are both as you would expect in a Thailand holiday resort, full of bars and restaurants. If you visit anywhere on the island, take advantage of the hotels private vehicles. They agree a rate with you prior to any trip and will also collect you at anytime from anywhere on the island. Taxi drivers generally try to charge more than the hotel charge and you get to travel in luxury A/C four wheel drive cars.

All in all a very memorable experience and I would recommend to anyone to visit. When booking try and get a villa on the north side of the resort so you get the sun into the evening on your balcony.

Room Tip: Rooms/Villas on the North side of the resort will benifit from the sun into the evening.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jimbotay81
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have recently returned from a fortnight at Tongsai Bay and it was so good it felt like a month!

We stayed at a beachside room (218) and was impressed by the stunning view of the bay. Room size was plentiful with an outdoor terrace for additional sunning as well as a bathtub, and we were only a minute or so from the pool. My husband was celebrating a recent birthday and the hotel kindly made a cake and gave us a bottle of wine on arrival.

Breakfast was superb and included every conceivable combination - even porridge! We ate lunch and dinner in the resort most nights, eating mostly Thai. The food was excellent and pushed my spice tolerance beyond my comfort zone on a couple of occasions (which is no bad thing!). Staff were friendly, service was very efficient and Mark the manager was most helpful. A special mention for the yoga too, hosted by 3 brothers (on differing days offering a mixed style of yoga). Having practiced for a few months I can highly recommend the classes (they're worth getting up a little earlier for).

We loved the adults only infinity pool and the fact that the resort never felt busy. The feel of this place is ideal for honeymooners/those looking for complete relaxation as it's low key luxury, which is just what we wanted. I've stayed at the Oberoi in Bali and would say the Tongsai is superior venue.

Happy memories of our holiday will stay with us for a very long time.

I would recommend a day trip round the Marine National Park on the Naga also (thoroughly enjoyable) and good value for money. Would also recommend Zazen in Bophut and The Larder in Chaweng for eating out.

Thank you Tongsai Bay!

Room Tip: I was more than happy with the beachside rooms (excellent value for money) and handy for the pool an...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pauline N
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We just spend three days in The Tongsaï bay and it was perfect. The cottage we have rent was lost in the park, very quiet! To move, you call the reception for a golf car. They come immediately to pick you up to the pool or to the lobby ! With the eternal smile's thaï. All the people we met were very very kind. They look after you with discretion all the time. They bring you fresh water at the pool with fresh towels. The service was perfect. A very good place !

Room Tip: We choose the cottage, to be in a quiet place and it was. How funny it is to take a bath in the terr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Isab29500
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I came back to Tongsai for our 10th Wedding anniversary having stayed for our honeymoon. We chose a Grand Villa (having previously stayed in a cottage).

Over the last 10 years we have travelled widely and stayed in some great hotels but with out any hesitation, Tongsai is the best beach hotel we have experienced. The setting is delightful, in a private bay with lush green trees leading down to golden sands and warm water. The weather was amazing (very hot).

The villas are huge and very well appointed - the deck amazing with a day bed, loungers, bath, dining table for 8! it also has a fridge big enough for full bottles of wine/champagne (top tip - buy your champagne duty free to avoid paying £170/bottle)! All the accommodation has great views but our villa 512 had views over the sea and beach.

Mosquitoes were a minor problem especially if you don't take precautions - pack good spray and use it in the evenings!

It terms of spending money we spent around £100 a day but we did not stint in any way! The resort is not cheap but I guess you should expect to pay to stay at this standard of hotel. We mainly chilled out by the pool but we had lunch and dinner with drinks every day. (I really would get your duty free wine and snacks though!)

What really stands out is how content and assured Tongsai is with itself - the place nestles amazingly in the setting, the staff are purposeful but cheerful and keen to help. The accommodation is very very clean and has all you would expect. The complete WIFI coverage (even on the beach) is also very useful.

It all seems to be too good to be true - believe me this stay exceeded our expectations and I hope everybody to reads this and goes genuinely has a good a time as we did.

Thank you Tongsai for a great week.

Room Tip: Grand Villas are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MandP20NJ17
Reviewed June 30, 2013

People, service, view, villa, breakfast spread, lunch and dinner venues, most powerful wifi...i could stay connected with my family and friends while soaking up the sun at the shore!!! I could go on and on and on about this resort!!!!
This is our second stay at the resort, and were greeted by familiar faces of the staff there. Our first visit was 5 years ago. Which tells you that the people working there are happy working for this resort.
My husband lost his polar watch, and the pool guard found and returned it to him. Thank you so much, Gai. The watch was a birthday pressie from me.
And most importantly, our godson had a fantabulous holiday!!!
We will be coming back again and again and again ;)

Room Tip: Go for the cottages on the hillside overlooking the sea. It's secluded, and you will get a fanta...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Diva_D_11
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is my 2nd trip to tongsai bay and not much has changed, everything was in perfect condition as I recall since 2009. First time i stayed at the pool villas and was fantastic, we had a free bottle of wine every night, guess it was our anniversary. This time we stayed at the outage, room 209, awesome beach view from the balcony. U get the sun rise right smack on your doors step.. Pros- service is tip top, staff are extremely helpful. I did a morning run and reached back to the hotel premise, a cleaner sweeping the leaves walked into a room and got me a bottle of cold water. Talk about initiative!! Resort is not far from the airport and the city if you wanna head out. Breakfast spread is great, especially the bakers section. Freshly baked bread! And yes, the ever so friendly fruit juice lady. Dint have much lunch there but no complaints. Dinner selection was awesome. Rooms were lovely, still well kept as I recall, love the ÀC as its those large central ones that won't go warm on u. Room service was like 2 times a day and the resort is pretty generous about stocking up bottles of water. Buggy service is at your disposal within the resort. Met Mark the GM I think, pretty helpful chap, so were all his staff. The resort is a also a echo friendly area,they dotnt even encourage killing Mosquitos or ants. Deck chairs on the beach were more than sufficient, and kayaks and sail boats are free to use. Amazing! Wireless was pretty fast this time round and accessible almost all places within the resort. Even at the beach area!! If I could change one thing, would be the beach, wished the water was much clearer. But I hear in August the sea gets clearer till about December. Overall I'd say excellent and I'll be back for more.

Almost forgot to mention this, I lost my sports watch 2 days ago somewhere on the resort. Informed the hotel management and went about asking if anyone saw it. No luck. This morning as I signing up to get a kayak, one of the pool staff name Gai handed me my watch that he found in the pool. Very honest staff and I'm really lucky. Thank you Tongsai bay.

Room Tip: Not sure where to begin here, but I rekon the pool villas or cottages at the corner would be amazing...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ernest23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Sandalwood Luxury Villas
Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui
#3 of 51 in Lamai Beach
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to The Tongsai Bay? Share your experiences!