“The best ever.....”

Ranked #6 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Galle, Sri Lanka
“The best ever.....”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

People, service, view, villa, breakfast spread, lunch and dinner venues, most powerful wifi...i could stay connected with my family and friends while soaking up the sun at the shore!!! I could go on and on and on about this resort!!!!
This is our second stay at the resort, and were greeted by familiar faces of the staff there. Our first visit was 5 years ago. Which tells you that the people working there are happy working for this resort.
My husband lost his polar watch, and the pool guard found and returned it to him. Thank you so much, Gai. The watch was a birthday pressie from me.
And most importantly, our godson had a fantabulous holiday!!!
We will be coming back again and again and again ;)

Room Tip: Go for the cottages on the hillside overlooking the sea. It's secluded, and you will get a fanta...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Diva_D_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is my 2nd trip to tongsai bay and not much has changed, everything was in perfect condition as I recall since 2009. First time i stayed at the pool villas and was fantastic, we had a free bottle of wine every night, guess it was our anniversary. This time we stayed at the outage, room 209, awesome beach view from the balcony. U get the sun rise right smack on your doors step.. Pros- service is tip top, staff are extremely helpful. I did a morning run and reached back to the hotel premise, a cleaner sweeping the leaves walked into a room and got me a bottle of cold water. Talk about initiative!! Resort is not far from the airport and the city if you wanna head out. Breakfast spread is great, especially the bakers section. Freshly baked bread! And yes, the ever so friendly fruit juice lady. Dint have much lunch there but no complaints. Dinner selection was awesome. Rooms were lovely, still well kept as I recall, love the ÀC as its those large central ones that won't go warm on u. Room service was like 2 times a day and the resort is pretty generous about stocking up bottles of water. Buggy service is at your disposal within the resort. Met Mark the GM I think, pretty helpful chap, so were all his staff. The resort is a also a echo friendly area,they dotnt even encourage killing Mosquitos or ants. Deck chairs on the beach were more than sufficient, and kayaks and sail boats are free to use. Amazing! Wireless was pretty fast this time round and accessible almost all places within the resort. Even at the beach area!! If I could change one thing, would be the beach, wished the water was much clearer. But I hear in August the sea gets clearer till about December. Overall I'd say excellent and I'll be back for more.

Almost forgot to mention this, I lost my sports watch 2 days ago somewhere on the resort. Informed the hotel management and went about asking if anyone saw it. No luck. This morning as I signing up to get a kayak, one of the pool staff name Gai handed me my watch that he found in the pool. Very honest staff and I'm really lucky. Thank you Tongsai bay.

Room Tip: Not sure where to begin here, but I rekon the pool villas or cottages at the corner would be amazing...
1 Thank Ernest23
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed in two resorts while in Koh Samui and just loved, loved, loved The Tongsai Bay. Our seaview Pool Villa was unbelievably beautiful, luxury plus- but definitely not a budget option. Having never been to Thailand we didn't know what to expect but were treated so well by the staff at The Tongsai Bay, we adored our time there.
I have never been a fan of hotel buffet breakfasts but these were amazing. Staff everywhere, anticipating your every need and freshly cooked whatever you desired. Fresh fruit juice, any type of coffee, you name it you could have it.
Unexpected treats arrived in our room every afternoon and always something for the turn down.
A view to die for, kayaks and hobie cats complimentary.
Great exercise in the walk to your room but a buggy available if it is just a little too far for you.
This resort is not like anywhere else we've stayed before. I have seen it described as homely and it is very different to the more commercial resorts around the island. You are so well cared for by the beautiful staff, and it is obvious that they are proud of the service and attention they offer the guests.
Thailand is tropical so please don't go if you don't like bugs or the heat, it is close to the equator and with so much incredible garden around you can't expect anything else.
I struggled to come up with any improvements to the hotel when I wrote their review on leaving but might I suggest that a shuttle be available into Chaweng for those who don't want to laze around the pool, sip cocktails, try their hand at sailing or indulge in a magnificent Thai massage. A few days here will be like two weeks in a regular resort. If you choose The Tongsai Bay to unwind....enjoy!

Room Tip: Choose a pool villa if you can go the extra $$$$ An indulgent and special treat!
1 Thank jannomood
The Midlands
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed for 14 nights, between 8th to 22nd March 2013.
The staff are extremely friendly, the food was excellent and our room ( 317 ) had great views.
The room was spacious and very clean.
We loved the fact that the hotel is quiet and peaceful, no music or animation team by the pool.
I enjoyed my morning swim before breakfast, its a lovely pool.
A good touch is the cold water and fresh fruit that is supplied complimentary by the pool.
The private beach is great, no traders trying to sell you their wares.
Yes, there are jet skis that go across the bay but so what, they are hardly noticeable.
Mark, the Hotel Manager is very professional and approachable.
The Managers Cocktail night is well worth attending.
I would highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to return.
Infact we hope to stay off enroute to Oz in 2015.
Tongsai Bay was perfect for us.
Ideally located to get a taxi to The Fishermans Village on a Friday night.
A free shuttlebus would be a bonus to Bophut or Chaweng but that is a minor issue.
Thank you for a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChunkyMonkey41
Mumbai, India
Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you are expecting a luxury hotel this is not your place. Having said that it is adorable. Lets try the pros and cons:

Cons: Mosquitoes! Take repellant with you because the hotel does not stock them. Language problem with the staff. Pricey restaurant for the food they offer. Not a spectacular spa or a good thai massage. The a/cs take forever to turn on. Tiny beach. Really bad sand. The showers have dated mixers . For the prices one should expect the same amount of luxury as a competitor.

Pros: The staff is courteous and ready to help. The rooms are cleaned frequently. Despite the tucked away rooms which we found the best because of the peace and quiet and the gorgeous views, their are buggys to take you around. We loved the fact that we could hear only the birds chirping into the dusk. When looking to stay somewhere try to cottage suites. We found room 314 to have a lovely layout whereas room 315 did not have a sea view unlike 314.

All in all we loved the place because of the beautiful layout and the lovely greenery around us.

Room Tip: When looking to stay somewhere try to cottage suites. We found room 314 to have a lovely layout wher...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anwesha H
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

1. Negotiate taxi fares, tuk-tuks, but not food/drink, not even on street stalls. Clothes purchases etc are negotiated but always do it with a smile and be inclined to take the 2nd price they suggest.
2. Tongsai Bay has mosquitoes (but thankfully not malaria) - take repellent.
3. We went in June and it was hot - 33 degrees in the day 29 degrees at night, so very little relief. Some rain but a nice change.
4. Koh Samui, like all of Thailand that we saw, was, well, a bit of a dump. There seem to be no planning laws and shacks go up everywhere, roads are potholed, mopeds ubiquitous. However, the people are great (even the hawkers give little hassle).
5. If we were disappointed about one thing at Tongsai, it was prices - but could be as much down to the £ being weak. Also the price was never what you paid - +7% VAT and +10% tip. So why then have another box for tip? Tipping in Thailand isn't cultural, to have no option but to pay 10% and then have to leave the extra tip box empty started to rankle.
6. Massage treatments were great but - not cheap.

The plus points:

Friendly, helpful staff. Clean (room cleaned twice a day). Great pools & bay. Free kayak/windsurfer/small sailing boats. (Some) fruit in room. Water constantly topped up at beach. Free sun loungers. Wildlife everywhere - birds, butterflies, frogs, lizards. (Saw no snakes, though I looked & looked. And mosquitoes, mainly in evening).

Generally great food. Fabulous breakfast selection. Massages at a price. Free Wi-Fi everywhere, computers at reception, free DVD hire.

Negative points:

I react badly to mosquitoes, the new wife struggles with heat - I perhaps should have been clearer on this to Trailfinders!
Prices: other than a lunch at a café in Bangkok (£3 for two, one dish and a glass of squash each), boy was it pricey. A dinner of a main each, a shared dessert, and a non-alcoholic drink would be about 1,200BHT. We got 45.5/£ so over £26. And other than breakfast, we'd be paying for all our meals/drinks during the stay.

We don't drink much, but you could easily spend £100/day as a couple, just on lunch, dinner & a couple of drinks. A non-alcoholic Mojito on the beach cost 153 (130 on the menu - charge 7% VAT, then charge 10% to the price+VAT). £3.36 seems steep to me. An alcoholic cocktail was 250 (AKA 294, ie £6.46), a local beer was 130 (£3.36 so I guess near £6/pint).

Taxi to Fisherman's Market was 400, so 800 round-trip - no additions this time but that's £17.50 so we weren't inclined to do it often.

Spa treatments ranged from 900 - 4,300, but with the +7%, +10% on top. 20% off at certain times of day, and cheaper if had at the beach not in the Spa. The wife made up for the lack of spending on booze to average a treatment a day whilst we were there, inc the most expensive (at discount time it still came to £89). She loved all of the treatments; I'd recommend the hour long foot massage for about 1,150, which was more than just feet.

In conclusion - Tongsai Bay's a great place, but you could easily spend more whilst there than you spent on the room. I'd hoped Thailand would be cheaper/more unspoiled, and the mosquitoes/heat were a problem, but I'll miss the bountiful food (particularly the mangoes at breakfast) and friendly people.

Room Tip: We stayed in cottage 316, didn't see much of the villas but the block of 24 rooms were located c...
2 Thank AMoger
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just returned from trip to Thailand. stayed in Tongsai bay 05 -12.06.13.
First of all, don't trust all of this "Pure Luxury" and etc - it is not! It is good hotel, very nice bay with fantastic sea, beautiful nature around (rainforest, butterflies, lizards, birds and etc) and fabulous views. Still the hotel is quite outdated, service is definitely not 5, but hardly 4. What comes to rooms - basically the only option is villas (beachfront suites small and ugly, cottage suite with really bad location, bad a/c system, tiny and dark) But when you consider villas, you end up with such prices that you'd better go to Four Seasons/Banyan tree or Six senses - where you will get 100% 5 stars guaranteed services.
Food quality overall is good, but again service is not on top.
Location - you can not get anywhere on foot, so make sure that you've planned at least 20 eur return taxi trip if you want to go out anywhere (not huge amount, but you can expect cheaper prices when you are in Asia). And hotel would not let you use regular taxi, they don't allow you to order taxi or even sit down into the taxi on their terriotory - only hotel service (when I tried to sit into the regular taxi car and bargain the prices hotel security guy just instructed drive not to pick me up and that's it).

All in all, I wouldn't list all wired examples of bad service or post all this pictures with bad working shower, dirty towels and outdated rooms.....the main message it is not 5 starts and far away from luxury hotel, hence value for money is very low. If you have fantastic price proposal and can accept low service quality in order to spend good time on a beach - you can go for Tongsai. For all other options - please go ahead for something else.

What comes to English...looks like it is overall problem for Bangkok and Samui as we faced these issues everywhere....

10 Thank Anton_kar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#14 of 187 in Bophut
Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui
#1 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to The Tongsai Bay? Share your experiences!