Having spent 4 days at Napasai (see separate review) we were driven to Tongsai Bay. This is bigger, steeper and prettier than Napasai, and, thankfully, has no invasive piped music. Buggies transport you efficiently between areas of the resort but there are quite steep and long stepped walkways between the buggy road and some rooms. So, if you have mobility problems, it's vital you discuss this with the hotel before booking. If you're reasonably fit, you'll enjoy the walks. All the reception staff we dealt with spoke very good English so misunderstandings are unlikely.
Tongsai has 2 beaches and 2 pools, one of which, the "half-moon" infinity pool, is free of kids and noise. The beaches are quite coarse sand and the sea more lively than at Napasai, and quite mesmeric.
Our sea-view room was well equipped, with a large, very private, outside deck with loungers, table & chairs, and a large bath tub from which to enjoy the sight and sound of the surf. Housekeeping was prompt and efficient, and the room was made up while we were breakfasting.
Breakfast is outstanding, with fruits being cut and juiced, eggs being prepared and bacon grilled right in front of you - or you can choose a variety of cold cuts, noodles and anything else you could imagine.
We tried all three restaurants and they were all good of their kind. The wine list is extensive and prices fairer than at Napasai.
Tongsai runs its own taxi service and doesn't let local taxis past the security gate at the top of the property. This may seem like a license to print money, but the fares to all reasonable destinations are clearly posted at reception and they are not inflated. So you get more comfortable cars and save haggling (which you have to do with the regular taxi drivers!)
The staff at Tongsai is amazing. They aren't as smartly dressed as at Napasai, but their attitude is spontaneous, warm, and totally helpful.
You get plenty of exercise walking on-site and the area outside the hotel is also pleasant and interesting. It's only about 10-minutes ride to the wonderful little Samui airport, but we heard no noise from it.
An outstanding resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tongsai Bay is located on Ko Samui, an island in the Gulf of Thailand just a short travel distance by air from Bangkok and across the southern peninsula. The view of Tongsai Bay is hypnotic, as its set amidst a secluded ocean cove; an eco-friendly colony of cottages, low rise buildings and villas barely displacing the lush greenery on the hills of the island's northeast corner. 3 restaurants serve Thai, and international food and the hotel hosts regular live music for evening entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Tongsai Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tongsai Bay Cottages And Hotel
- Tongsai Bay Cottages Hotel Bophut
- Tongsai Bay Hotel
- Tongsai Bay Resort
- The Tongsai Bay Ko Samui/Bophut