“Payment fiasco”

Dungannon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Payment fiasco”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent a lovely morning in the spa with my wife and daughter where everything was first class.
We paid for this with no issues and can fully recommend the spa.
Our family then joined us for lunch , which was enjoyable, however our whole experience was spoiled when I tried to pay using my credit card. Several attempts were made in the restaurant before being"escorted" to the lobby where again payment was refused as there was no reception for the transaction. Another card was tried but to no avail as the system was down. We had no alternative but to ask our family to empty their pockets and pay in cash, which was deeply embarssing.
I requested a conversation with the manager who turned up and basically shrugged her shoulders and said it is the Island - you can expect this!
I felt totally insulted as no apologies were offered or any acknowledgment that there was a problem on their side.
We have spent a week on Samui and have had no issues in any other places but feel totally let down by the attitude on this occasion.
We had planned on staying for a few nights as a couple this week on the resort but will now be looking elsewhere as there are many other alternatives..

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
“Beautiful sunset with very average food and an incredibly slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

The location is superb. We watched the sun set, the whole setting is very relaxing, beautiful.

Impressed by the fact they not only had a kids menu but an infant menu also - very much needed for us who were with a 3 year old and a 10 month old. I think the infant purees were the biggest success. Toddler ordered schnitzel and chips and received a burger? Apparently that was correct. Husband order mild red curry, we were very clear about how he didn't want it spicy, the waiter presented it as mild and non-spicy, well on the first taste our mouths burnt. We are used to hot dishes so this really was on the medium/hot scale. Staff just said sorry and gave husband a sorbet to cool off the heat!!

My king praws were very ordinary, tough and I would expect a lot more of a restaurant of this name.

I eat gluten free so when choosing a desert I opted for a tapioca desert and ended up in a heated discussion as the waiter was arguing with me that tapioca was wheat. I would hope they know their food better especially as their menu says they can cater for people with allergies and coeliacs.

However, what really brought the experience down was how slow the whole service was. It took good 80 minutes for the purees to arrive, of course our baby was truly over waiting at that point. The grown up food arrived perhaps some 20-30 minutes after this. Crazy as the whole restaurant was empty.

By the time we ordered deserts and again it took them 40-50 minutes and still no desert to be seen, I just asked them to take the desserts as take away as the kids by then were truly over it. And really, so were we.

I am glad we went for the ambiance but the food experience itself was very very ordinary.

• Visited May 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Sunset Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

They specialize in Thai food, and the best part is the great view of the sunset during your dinner. Good selection of authentic Thai food.

Visited March 2013
Budapest
“Great dining place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

My boy friend and I went there just for Wednesday Thai Buffet dinner and the food was arranged nicely with variety of choices and friendly staff. We got to try many different Thai food we didn't try before in Thailand. There was a show for the night as well, Thai instruments and Thai dance, amazingly wonderful. Great assistance and beautiful resort, we have to say!

Painswick, United Kingdom
“Please note: We didn't stay the night, we only had lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

This reminds me of one of those resorts where they ship you in and then proceed to rip you off for the duration of your vacation. Although you accept it, because the surroundings are beautiful, and you probably don't know any different because you never venture beyond the boundaries of the resort. It’s certainly not walking distance to areas of interest and if wanted a nice leisurely walk to explore the area, firstly you wouldn’t find much and secondly, if you then decided you wanted a taxi, you’d have to walk some distance to find one. Thank god I'm not staying!

We went for lunch expecting to pay top dollar but for that, I expect staff to know what they are doing and food which leaves me wanting to return as quickly as possible. I must admit alarm bells rang when we were served a massive platter of 8 slices of assorted bread, two pieces of pizza and bread sticks before we had even started. WHY? We are in a climate of 30 c plus.

Maybe I am asking too much but I would at least expect the chef to know how to cook prawns and to serve what is written on the menu description. For the starter, we ate marinated pork skewers in tamarind, served with sticky rice and prawn satay. There was no sticky rice with the pork (a minor detail) but the prawns were inedible. Understandably, this left us very disappointed and I was in fear of the fish dish, I had ordered for my main course.

We quickly concluded we did not wish to proceed any further and asked for the bill. We obviously wanted to depart promptly, in the hope they had not started to cook our main courses and situations like these are always uneasy for everyone involved. I would say the staff handled our request without any fuss which is to be commended. However, it took a lot of effort to catch the attention of a member of staff, in order to ask for the bill, despite all eight of them being present to politely stand and ceremonially say goodbye!

Well! This experience has left me feeling this restaurant doesn’t care for their customers and begs me to wonder, is this because they have a captured market and therefore have come to think it’s acceptable to fleece people.

One thing I achieved today was to buy the most expensive small bottle of Heineken since being on the island. What makes me laugh is the barrier gate upon entry. I now firmly believe it is to keep guests from getting out, rather than serving the purpose of preventing others in.