“Little slice of OZ on Koh Samui...”

Billabong Surf Club
Ranked #64 of 478 Restaurants in Bophut
Cuisines: Australian, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A lively Australian beach bar and restaurant sat in the heart of the popular Fisherman's Village in Koh Samui. With cold beer and cocktails, an Aussie pub menu, a full Australian and International sports program and great live music, this makes The Billabong Surf Club a must visit pub!
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our second trip out to the island since Oct 2012., My hubby is an Aussie, he made a joke, as to "why are we going to an AUSSIE bar, in Thailand?.. lol.. "Because" I SAID so, and it's AWESOME,.. THAT's why ;-), the view is perfect, right on the beach, watching the people, boats, and at night, the lanterns.. always have great tunes playing, and every sport imaginable on the telly's.. so much more than a "sport's bar".. the cooks are great, as are the bartenders and servers. Their breakfast special is OFF THE CHAIN.. 189 THB for a traditional English/AU breakfast style, complete with bacon, eggs ( shaped in the formation of OZ !!) , beans, sausage, stewed tomatoes and thick toast....THE BEST, that meal, along with a Singha draft ,and a couple Bloody Mary's to start the day off- "balanced" ;-) A MUST visit, world class, "get rid of the hangover" breakfast! LOVE this little place. The staff is really friendly, and attentive. Making sure we were well looked after. This is now our "go to" place, when visiting that side of the island, as our villa is in Taling Ngam, so we like to overnight there, 2500 THB per night, clean comfy rooms, to get our head down, makes it so nice to not have to drive after a few too many enjoying the local Village scenery, drinks, and sounds. THANK you guys for a great spot to always come back to ;-) THE BEST BAR FOOD !

graham a, General Manager at Billabong Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Hi Corinne
Many thanks for that "Great" review. I could not have written it any better. You have covered every aspect of our business and what we set out to achieve. I am so happy you had a great time and perhaps next time you will stay a week end with us.
Thank you once again and do let us know when you return to Koh Samui

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Lovely little bar right on BoPhut Beach. Great friendly service. All daily Australian Papers are copied and provided free of charge to patrons. Relaxed and clean with free wifi

Many thanks for your comments. I am glad to see you enjoyed the drinks, the atmosphere and the music. Do come back again if you are on the island.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Lovely bar, had a rather large night here during our stay, great Mojitos and G&T's. Great service, there's a guy who plays the guitar some nights who's very good.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very friendly staff with a great sense of fun. The outlook over the water is so relaxing and the food is basic but good value. The ambiance changes dramatically when the manager appears- no people skills and only wants to talk about himself. Usually a happy place to have a drink with new friends.

graham a, General Manager at Billabong Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

MIckyBugs

I am a little confused by your comments. Perhaps you would like to read another comment written on the same day you were there. You will see that there are two different views of the Management of the Billabong. Perhaps you were at another establishment however do call in and have a beer on the house if you are still on the island and let me tell you of my experiences on the island especially the great and appreciative people that I have met and helped while working at The Billabong Surf Club

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I visited Billabong twice in one day, and loved both visits.

First was for a quick drink to say goodbye to a friend - we each had a coconut shake, the best I've had in Thailand, and served in the coconut!

I went back later on my own, feeling a bit nervous a a 'solo traveller' all of a sudden, but I soon got chatting to a lovely guy at the next door table... turns out it was Graham, the General Manager, who introduced me to some other regulars and even shouted me a couple of beers. He had some great advice about my onward journey through Asia (even gave me his card in case I got into any bother after I left Thailand!).

There's no escaping the fact that this is an Australian Sports Bar, so if you're looking for the authentic Thai experience, don't complain (as some others have!) that this isn't it - but if you're looking for a buzzy bar with reasonably priced drinks, then this is ideal. I haven't had a chance to sample the food yet, but it looked great and I'll be back to do so!

Many thanks for your wonderful comments. We do try to help all our customers especially those who are visiting our island for the first time. I know one hears conflicting reports as to how things are done and what is the best way. That is why we always advise our customers from past experiences, unfortunately some people perceive this to be unnecessary as has been documented on the same day as your first visit. I am however very happy you found us, loved our location and sincerely hope if and when you return to the island you become one of "Our Regulars".

Best Wishes