“Asador at Lamai, Samui”

Dining options: Late Night
Bangkok, Thailand
“Asador at Lamai, Samui”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Me and my foodie friend went to Asador steak house & bbq in Lamai after knowing that it used to be one of the very good restaurants in Lamai.
The service is terrible. There were only three tables including ours in the restaurant but still the wait staff were not free to come to our table and take orders and follow up. Rather they were running around the entire restaurant and gossiping loudly, and finally when they got tired everybody sat down on a table near to the bar counter and got busy with facebook on the mobile phone.Secondly there was a problem with language as well as they don't have an understanding of English as well as Thai which I am able to speak so it took time to make them understand what we needed.
For starter we ordered garlic bread and spring rolls. The spring rolls were ok but the garlic bread was pathetic (toasted bread with a bit of butter, no herbs no garlic). For main course we had char grilled prawns and char grilled red snapper along with garlic fried rice. The seafood seemed fresh and were cooked perfect. The garlic fried rice was the best. After we have finished food and wanted to order for some more drinks we couldn't find any waiters around. Finally I had to go and find a waiter and told him to clear the plates and my new order for drinks. The waiter came and just cleared my plates and not my friend's dirty plates. Anyways we finished and left but the prices were really high for the service standards (where they charge 10% service charges) and food.
I am not going to go back there nor will recommend to someone....

• Visited October 2013

Auckland, New Zealand
“Like Starbucks - It Ain't Gourmet or Cheap, But You Know What You'll Get”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

These places are a dime a dozen in Thailand and they are average at best. They inspire words like "meh" and "schmaverage" Overpriced for chewy steak and overcooked chicken or fish. Bit like the wallet rape you get from a Venti Chai; there is no way that coffee is worth that much but it's convenient and reliable ya know? There are much better places to eat the same standard Thai fare that aren't part of this chain. However in saying that, it's like Starbucks - in as far as noone is going to call that gourmet coffee and cuisine but you go anyway because it's a safe bet. You know what it will taste like and it's bland enough to have something for most people. On Koh Samui the best one is in Chaweng at the top of Beach Road. Very quiet, almost romantic, with a view of the lake. Lovely.

Visited September 2013
Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
“Interesting variety, but not the best you'll find”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Two 'Asador' restaurants can be found on the busy street of Chaweng Road, distanced several hundred meters apart.

Both restaurants are inviting, as they exhibit right on the street their variety of dishes, including meats and sea food. Additionally, all the cooking is done right before your eyes, and those walking by.

The food itself isn't bad, nor is it perfect. On one ocassion we had the BBQ mix, including grilled ribs, chicken, and some other meat. The price wasn't excessive but the food itselft wasn't perfect. Everything seems (and probably is, considering its on display) pre-cooked and simply goes on the grill 5 min prior to being served. We ordered desert from one of the restaurants and waited nearly 20 min for a pancake which was extremely salty.

At the other 'Asador', we settled on individual dishes of tiger prawns and ribs. We ordered some spring rolls to start, which were good. The prawns, while tasteful, appeared to have shrunk in half (when compared to their original size). The ribs were tasteful, similar to those from the other restaurant.

Overall, the food isn't bad, nor is it perfect. It's a good attempt at creating a steakhouse atmosphere, but just isn't quite there yet.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Samuel A
London, United Kingdom
“Worst dining experience ever.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is one to avoid. It looks full enough from the kerb but beware. We were parked at a table and weren't even offered a drink for half an hour. eventually an hour had passed and I had to accost a member of staff so he would take our order, he didn't write it down so I collared him again 10 mins later and pointed to my selection on the menu as his English was surely not good enough to be taking orders without writing them down. Half an hour later, he plonks two plates of what my girlfriend described as, 'something I would cook when we don't have anything in the fridge' down on the table. I eventually got his attention and told him this wasn't what we ordered, instead of taking it away he started remonstrating with me about how this WAS what I had ordered. Finally I had to tell him to take it away and pointed forcefully at the picture that THIS was what I wanted. By this point our night and my mood was ruined. He sulked off. When the 1200 Baht BBQ seafood platter arrived it was spectacularly underwhelming, calamari was vulcanised, food lacked flavour or colour despite having supposedly been on a BBQ, worst service ever, awful food, people walking out and complaining left, right and centre. When I went to pay the bill I told the manager that he really shouldn't be adding a service charge as this was the worst service I had ever experienced at any restaurant in any country, he didn't even look up from counting his money. This particular restaurant should be avoided at all costs.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Ayo707
Berlin, Germany
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rubber Calamari”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We ordered a red curry and Calamari with fries. What we got was a green currry and Calamari with potatoes. The taste was terrible so we left without eating anything for 500 bath. DON'T DO IT!

• Visited July 2013