Reading most of the reviews I feel proud, - but when reading some of them I feel personally offended. Reading some of the 3 and less than 3 star reviews here makes me wonder where the heck they´ve been. Certainly not at the Mantra we´ve come to know and love. And to call Mantra rude and dirty (shame on you Ash S) tells more about the reviewer than of the Mantra. My experience is that if you treat people with kindness and respect, you get the same back. This goes for the staff at Mantra as well.
As a third time visitor there is not much to add to my two previous reviews. Only to repeat that Mantra is a gem. To us it´s a piece of paradise. It´s not a luxury resort, - if you by that mean shiny with marble, steel and leather. It´s natural and a bit quirky – if you like; cheeky. But what makes Mantra Mantra is the staff. They are warm, welcoming and caring and not at all rude.
We have stayed at Manta three years in a row. 3 + 2,5 + 2,5 weeks and never experienced rude staff. Quite the opposite. We would never go back to a place where we didn´t feel welcome. What we have experienced though is some guests that should not be allowed to leave home until they´d learned some manners and to treat staff and/or fellow guests with just a little bit common courtesy.
During our stays at Manta we´ve had most of our meals there. We love the breakfasts – a great start of the day. Lots of choices. We also had most of our lunches and dinners at the Ubuntu restaurant. Love the food ! (and I´m quite picky). Compared to prices in Europe it´s not expensive.
The staff in the restaurant and bar are great. All of them have been nothing but warm and smiling towards us.
A few points to correct other reviews:
Location – yes it´s in a hilly location, 10-15 mins form the nearest beach with a car. Hills were no problem for my 81 year old mother, - can´t see why it should be a problem for anyone else. If you can´t manage the walk up (seriously ? ) then use the cart-service. But if that´s not good enough, - maybe consider staying somewhere else.
Taxi - from Bophut /Fishermans Village is NOT 500 Baht. We never paid more than 300. Someone clearly got ripped off, but that is not Mantra´s fault ! From Chaweng we paid between 400 and 500.
Sun loungers – never had a problem during our 3 long stays. Once or twice we had to wait 5-10 minutes. We´re on holiday and not in a hurry … no so problem.
Staff/language barrier – English is not our first language, maybe that´s why we never had a language problem at Mantra ? We don´t expect the staff to speak perfect English. If you keep in mind that you are in a foreign country and speak a tad slower (and more clearly) they will understand. We never had a wrong order (and as mentioned we had most of our meals there).
I have to mention some of our special friends … Khun Oh (fabulous chef, don’t miss her cooking class) Khun Tor, Khun Man, Khun Tae, Khun A; Zita and Chris – and all the others – Robert and his gorgeous family and the reception angels. All of them making our stay special. We missed some of our friends from earlier visits, among them Mark who left for his holiday just hours before we arrived. But we will meet them next time. Cause we will be back for a 4th visit !
Thanks again for making our holiday so special, and remember to water our tree ☺
Elisabeth & Mom
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a hillside in the popular town of Bophut, Mantra Samui Resort offers guests some of the most spectacular panoramic views of Koh Samui's beautiful coastline. Guests can enjoy these views in peace while being only a short distance from countless shops, an array of local restaurants and some of the most stunning beaches you have ever seen. The complimentary shuttle bus service allows ease of travel to all of these local hotspots. The hotel has a wide range of comfortable yet luxurious rooms, most of which have an amazing ocean view. On-site facilities are available for guests to enjoy, including; superb cuisine at the View Restaurant, an infinity pool with wonderful views of the island, a variety of treatments at the ''Jai Spa'',offering complimentary classes daily, and a top of the range fitness center which is open from 6:00 am until 10 pm daily. Mantra Samui Resort also has a 24-hour staff-service for guests. If assistance is required at any time of the day, simply ask and one of the team will be happy to help. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Mantra Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Samui Hotel Bophut
- Mantra Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut