“Amazing Hotel - Loved it”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #16 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed at the Mantra for 6 nights mid December and had the best 6 days of a 3 week holiday, the hotel and staff were simply excellent. We stayed in a "Love" room and it was amazing with stunning views. We booked a pickup from the airport by e mail with the Mantra which was 400TBH, its free if you had booked the hotel direct. A smiling face greeted us and the journey was about 25 minutes with the driver pointing out all the sites on the way. We were welcomed with a drink and cold towel and checked in. A golf caddy gave us a tour of the site and took us to our room with the bags following promptly. First impressions of the room were O.M.G. amazing and the view was stunning. The computer, TV, free phone calls, Jacuzzi, room service, etc. were all explained. As per other reviews they only provide a sheet, however as explained on arriving, a simple call to reception and a duvet was in our room within minutes. The pool was excellent, very clean and a view to die for. Yes there were limited loungers, however we never had a problem getting one whatever time we went there, and there is an additional sun terrace or your own balcony to use anyway. Fresh clean towels, iced water and occasional complimentary free drinks were provided. The gym was the best I have come across in a hotel, once again with the stunning views to keep you going. A nice touch was they launder 3 items of sports kit free a day if you use the gym, its back in your room the next day. The location is a bit remote, up a long narrow lane which is not really practical to walk, however that is also its best point as you are not in the hustle and bustle of a beach hotel, and you don't get the views at them. We used the free shuttle buses quite a bit and found them excellent, often putting on additional buses if the demand required. It was a great opportunity to mix and chat and we met some lovely people from all over the globe. We did take a taxi 1 night which was 400 TBH. Staff were excellent, most spoke very good English and those who didn't would find someone who did. This was by far the friendliest hotel we have stayed in with all staff smiling and saying hello, even the gardeners and maintenance staff. Its the small touches and attention to detail that make this place. The hotel is on a very steep hill and if you have mobility problems then maybe think twice about booking here, however with the buggy service provided its not a major issue, just call and they are there in minutes. If I had to give some constructive criticism the section from the pool to the gym etc. needs a hand rail as its extremely steep and can be slippery if wet. Overall an outstanding place to stay and I am at a loss why there has been a few negative comments recently, speak with the staff, show them respect and if you have any issues just tell them, they will go out of their way to resolve them. If you want the Hilton on the beach, then pay their prices and book it. If you want an excellent hotel away from the crowds, with first class friendly service book here.

Room Tip: The Love room 132 was amazing

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights and had a relaxing holiday and was well tended by friendly staff. I found the grounds to be well maintained, swimming pool a delight - but not enough sun loungers in area - always full when we went down. Breakfast in restaurant stunning - and lots to choose from. Room was large, clean and airy - view from balcony sensational - and one evening we watched fireworks from down below. Complementary bus service to Chaweng and Bophut beach necessary as hotel up in the hills and too far to walk to any beaches; alternately you can rent a scooter for 24 hours for 300baht. Even though I really enjoyed my time at this resort, next time i will be looking at staying at Chaweng beach - right on the beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shelli H
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Mantra Samui over our Christmas 2013 holiday.

Just to start off, we are avid travelers and currently live in Singapore. I have been to Thailand four times this year and this was my first time to Koh Samui. We typically stay at Starwood Hotels as we are SPG members but, I decided to book a different experience as I am a fan of boutique luxury hotels/resorts and this came highly recommended on TripAdvisor. Usually, TripAdvisor reviews are fantastic however, for this resort, the reviews are way off.

To begin with, I had booked pick-up from the airport in Koh Samui directly with the resort and had a confirmation email that we would have transport, this was not the case. After waiting at the meeting point for 15 minutes and asking for assistance our driver never showed up so we booked a taxi from the airport, this put a very sour taste in our mouth and was really no way to start our holiday. At check-in, we informed the receptionist who was assisting us that we did not get our airport pick-up. She walked away with no apology and returned with our check-in paperwork and a slip saying we owed 400Baht for our airport pick-up...that we NEVER had. We informed her of this again and she again walked away, no apology, and proceeded to get on the phone with the driver and have a 15 minute conversation with him as we were standing there waiting to check-in, seriously unprofessional! Never in my 14 destinations I have traveled to this year have I been forgotten at the airport!

On a positive note, our room, when we finally got to it, was gorgeous! The views are stunning and we did like that they offered many movie choices.

We arrived around lunch time and decided to change and go down to the pool area for drinks, lunch and a swim :). This sadly, did not happen. At the restaurant, we were told that they were not serving food until noon, nothing, not even a poolside menu was offered to us. So, we went over to the pool area to wait for 45 minutes until the kitchen opened. We were given horrible, ragged, and DIRTY towels and the lounge chairs were SO uncomfortable, the WORST! I also realized after sitting there for 15 minutes that they offered NO poolside drink service so, we were now starving, with dirty towels, and no drinks. Finally, it was noon and we could eat, the food overall was decent, nothing special but fine.

After lunch we decided to go down to reception and book a tour for the next day. We are big on sailing and boating and wanted to book a private catamaran tour. We were assisted by a girl who could barely speak English, like all their other staff, and had no idea how to go about booking tours that this hotel apparently offered. We were then assisted by another woman, we chose our tour and on the pamphlet and the website it said $16,000Baht for the day, we were fine with this and gave her the 'okay' to call and book. She comes back flustered five minutes later and tells us that the man who runs the company is bad and rude and she found another company and the price was now $22,000Baht, ridiculous! We were so fed up, we went all the way back up the giant hill to our rooms and I decided to do some research myself for a tour online. I went back to reception about half an hour later solo, to ask for assistance in calling a few other companies I found on my own, since their staff is incapable of helping. Again, she went away and within three minutes returned said she called all the companies on my list, not possible in three minutes, and found a better company and the price was now $25,000Baht, this was ludicrous! I asked her to dial the number of the original company I had asked her to book with as I would speak directly to the owner, in a huff she did this for me. I was on the phone with the owner for 15 minutes where he explained to me how he refuses to deal with Mantra Samui as they are seriously unprofessional, that the staff are unable to properly book as they have no English speaking capabilities and he has issues being paid from the hotel. He was actually very nice to me and said he would love to take us out tomorrow on one of his many catamarans and felt so bad for us that he gave us a discount and booked us at $14,000Baht for a full day of island hopping, however we would have to pay him directly as he wanted no dealings with our hotel.

That evening, after such a horrible start to our vacation, we decided to pop over to The W for drinks. Upon arrival we were greeted so nicely and had such a lovely time we also decided to book dinner. After dinner, we inquired about actually moving to the hotel. They were of course fully booked however, they had one room left for Christmas Day into Boxing Day and we took it as we were so desperate to get away from the horrific service we were experiencing at Mantra.

The next day we had a fabulous time on our catamaran and that evening went out to dinner on Christmas Eve at Dining on the Rocks Restaurant. I went down to reception at Mantra to book a cab and since we had given all our Thai Baht to the owner of the catamaran company, we needed a money exchanger. Of course, the hotel didn't exchange money, every hotel I have ever stayed at has offered this service EXCEPT Mantra. We asked the receptionist if we could either charge the taxi to our room or if she could tell him we need to go to a money exchanger on the way. She said we couldn't charge it to our room and he could take us to an ATM, we needed a money exchanger not an ATM, yet another example of the seriously poor communication. We went up to another reception staff who told us apparently we could charge it to our room but at this point we were so fed up we got into our cab and he took us to exchange money. We had another lovely dinner away from Mantra that evening.

The next day we left and checked into The W and had an absolutely flawless day there, a gorgeous Christmas brunch and a very relaxing stay. We had a late check out the next day and enjoyed a luxurious spa treatment.

We are now back at Mantra for tonight and leave tomorrow. While we did have a wonderful vacation overall, the fact that booking a tour was so difficult, the communication was so poor and the service was terrible, I would never recommend this resort to anyone and we would never return. They have a very long way to go before they are on a 'boutique luxury' level. I will now always be sticking with the hotel chains I know as this experience was so negative for us.

A few other notes, they do not offer comforters in the rooms, we got really chilly and had to call down for one, they should automatically give them. The shower went from scalding hot to freezing cold and I could never get the temperature right, very un-enjoyable.

3  Thank Joanna N
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor

Thank you for leaving a review I am glad that we have a chance to respond to it.

It is clear that you had a frustrating experience at our Front Office and I am sorry for that.

After reviewing the incident is it clear that this has been a communication issue. I believe that a litle kindness and understadning towards someone whose mother tongue is not English would have gone a long way help solve this otherwise quite trivial issue.
We always ask our Colleagues to let Guest and eachother know if they do not understand something but Khun Dao was clearly intimidated by the lound tone of voice and failed to do that.

We have talked to her again that it is ok to not understand something and she can feel free to let others know about it to avoid miscommunication.

I am sorry that you did not let us know about this issue during your stay because we could have helped and solve the situation easily. The next day our Front Office Manager – Khun Nok has approached you to check if everything is ok but you did not bring up this issue.

We are proud to be an independently owned boutiqe resort. Our atmosphere is genuinely friendly exactly because we hire genuinely friendly colleagues and we understadn that the only way our Guests can have a good time is if our colleagues feel appreciated.

For the benefit of future travelers:

As the average temperature of Samui is 32 degrees our Standard Room Set Up includes sheets. This method is quite standard among environmentally conscious hotels to avoid wasting energy because usually duvets require the excess cooling of the rooms.

Of course duvets can be requested through dialing Front Office and duvets will be delivered very shortly.

At Mantra we serve our breakfast between 7am and 11am. Guests who leave the hotel earlier are provided with take away breakfast upon request. To keep food hygine at its highest level our kitchen undergoes a daily deep clean between 11am and noon and during this period we do not serve lunch. We have been open for over 2 years and have not had a negative comment about this.

We are careful not to exaggerate all future Guests can have a look at our website to see what Mantra is like.
Robert
r.mayer@mantrasamui.com

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were good, however r wifi did not work at all in our room, the PC always froze and had black lines through it and if you wanted to watch tv you had to sit on the couch.

More shuttles were needed and the ones they had were at inconvenient times (made it difficult to eat dinner anywhere else because you would be down at bophut for hours).

I know space is an issue however you had to get up early if you wanted a lounge by the pool because there are only about 25 seats.

Food at the restaurant was limited and didn't taste that great, very overpriced.

Overall nice place, but our stay at Amari on Chaweng Beach was much more pleasurable.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Nok and the other 134 staff looked after us extensively. Unfortunately we were involved in an accident and were pretty much immobalised. Nok helped speak to the police and sort out a difficult situation. With regards to my wife having to be rushed to the hospital and us both being seperated without a signal on our phones, the hotel called all the hospitals until they had news and kept in contact and sent a car to pick my wife up, which we didnt have to ask for.
Unfortunately, as we were stuck in the hotel, we decided to go to their restaurant but it was very busy with a very large party in for lunch and they had ran out of a number of items. We decided to go to the beach to get something which was more comfort food. Upon returning, their staff had heard about the lunchtime problem and asked us to head to the restaurant to enjoy a meal free of charge. This jesture really was something that we didnt ask for or were expecting and for them to realise that we went out of our way to get what we wanted, it was ultimately a gesture that makes a good hotel into a great hotel. The food is very good also.
The room was spacious and well equipped with a fantastic view. Do not worry about the location being at the top of a hill - the hotel have golf carts to drive you around and enough shuttles available to pick you up at the bottom as they pass.
Unfortunately we were unable to say good-bye to Nok, however, she sent us an email wishing us the best and apologising about not seeing us off.
During our honeymoon we stayed at villa's with private pools and beach huts, but by far this was the best accommodation we stayed at and best overall from a frequent Thailand visitor.

Room Tip: We were in a Love Room, however, all rooms have spectacular views as we noticed when walking around.
2  Thank tg_traveller_hk
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We hired the Love Room and the WOW room. Both rooms were exceptionally clean, room service excellent. The bean bag type lilos on the balcony of the Love room was disappointing. As soon as you lay on it the moisture would wet you and your towel. Some of the love rooms had fold out lilos, I suggest that, from a hygiene perspective, they replace the bean bags with these. The food was very good, the views amazing, the service from reception excellent. We had 3 young adults with us and would say for party goers it is too far away from the night life. Although ample free transport to and from the resort was on offer, it did finish at around 10.30pm, which meant the need to get a taxi back if you stayed out until late. The walk to the restaurant was either extremely steep for the love room or via a number of steps for the wow room, but the reception staff were always happy to send a golf buggy to transport people around. The pool and pool bar were amazing, many a cocktail enjoyed here. We stayed here after 8 weeks travelling around the world, so loved the peace, quiet and exceptional service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Currently staying here in a Love Room.

The hotel is out of the way, but 99% of people realise this when booking. Yes it's on a hillside, yes the paths are steep but yes there are golf buggies to assist where needed.

The views from the infinity pool are amazing, the same must be said from the rooms too.

What is a shame are a few details I'll go into now.
Please note that for the last 20 years I've been involved in hotel, bar and restaurant assessment, where I visit locations to check out the facilities, the level of service and the customer experience as a whole. Combined with my worldwide hotel stays I like to think I give constructive feedback where needed.

Breakfast; depending on what time you go in, the restaurant can seem over staffed. However service at times seemed a little slow, having to catch staff members eye to request a second coffee. Most of the staff are happy, smiling people but there was 1 girl ( don't know her name ) who just didn't know how to smile. Staff should become more proactive at breakfast.

Thai Night; again there seemed to be as many staff as guests on this evening.Part way through the meal my girlfriend went to the toilet, I was eating and a staff member came and took away our napkins, before I had chance to swallow my food and stop her. Rather a strange action we thought.

The pool is great, you can take a dip and admire the views for hours here. Downside is the limited space for sunbeds, as we found Saturday morning, when all the beds were taken, it seems some people had put their possessions on beds before going off again ( possibly to breakfast ).

Restaurant / food prices aren't cheap, which means that you're probably better off getting transport into Fishermans Village and trying the restaurants there. The same with mini bar prices, these are expensive compared to popping into the 7eleven or a local supermarket.

Maybe the prices are high to pay for the excess staff ?

Towels ; The sunbed towels are awful, I have better cleaning cloths at home. As my girlfriend mentioned, these remind her of the old towels a hairdresser uses to put on hair colouring, as these look stained and bleached.

The Good Stuff;

Collected from the airport, quick service and a nice welcome. Reception ensured check in was hassle free, a quick tour before being taken to our room.

Room itself is big, nice tv screen, great movie collection to choose from. The bed was big, comfortable but didn't really need to have the big black ledge around all 3 sides, making it harder to get in and out of bed.
Sunbeds on the balcony were in need of a deep clean, these were badly stained.
The jacuzzi was a nice touch. however the curtains are covered in marks and mould. Maybe this is from the rainy season, but it does look ingrained.

Staff in general are great, the buggy guys are quick to come when requested and the shuttle buses into the towns are really handy, however the times need altering a bit we feel ( and we know other guests have mentioned this too ).

There was ongoing work with buildings being painted so the place was getting spruced up. I'd advise people not to come back up the hill on a motorcycle taxi as it's dark, bumpy and steep.

Would we return here again ?

I think we would do, as we are having a lovely relaxing break.

1  Thank Oggy-Yorkshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
6 mi away
Nora Buri Resort & Spa
#17 of 104 in Chaweng
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!