“Good value at present, could do with a refresh”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #21 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Tokyo, Japan
“Good value at present, could do with a refresh”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

On arrival the entrance is a bit underwhelming - there's a big power generator and a load of scooters and cars parked.
That can't really be helped given its location - it's up a very steep hill off the main road. It's quite a bit back from the ocean, you need to get a shuttle down into the town.
However looking past first impressions the staff are friendly and everything was quite inexpensive.
Everything was good value for money
Food, Spa etc were all very affordable.
The spa was very good value considering the prices at larger resorts.

I wouldn't class it as a 5 star resort, more like somewhere in small hotel 4 star.

There were a few tiny details like one of the wooden handrails came off outside our room - needs repair.

Another night we couldn't get into the room - the key wouldn't open the door, we both tried and couldn't get it open, then one of the staff could open it with our key (don't know why it wouldn't open for us) - was surprising to be using keys anyway - it would be better to fit the rooms with key cards as most hotels use.

Also coming down to the pool area from the room would be good to have handrail as when it rains the steps get really slippy.
It was good value on the discounted room rate that was advertised online.

Food was good - very tasty and well presented.

Breakfast - at first I thought it was a bit limited but wasnt really - rather than having everything out on display, if you want anything like eggs sausages they will cook fresh, also they will prepare whatever requirements you have.

Pool was small - my guess is that most people who stay here would go out in the afternoon diving or island hopping etc - it's more like a hotel for coming back to chill after doing activities all day - unless you just want to sunbathe all day, but for me it's a bit too small to spend all day, the spacing between loungers is tight - I found because the pool area was very small.

Gym is modern and new.

Staff very accommodating, friendly.

Room - bed was fine, ac a bit noisy, 2 TVs, nice balcony view,bathroom was good. Overall it was fine. Could do with some new paint, a renovation - marks on walls from luggage, the table had marks all over it etc.

Overall - good value for the prices advertised ATM.
If I was wanting to do stuff in Bophut for a few days, I'd probably stay here as it was so cheap, but for a solid week for example where I just wanted to chill all day, I'd probably choose a larger resort that is on the ocean.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2013

From the moment I stepped foot in this resort to the moment I left, it was unbelievable. The staff are beautiful and so welcoming. They are happy to help out in any way.
When we got to our room, it was like a dream. Beautiful large bed facing out the big glass doors looking over the ocean ... HEAVEN! The pool is beautiful and again, looks over the ocean. Breakfast is phenomenal! The range of food is a delight and Im sure I came back a few kilo's heavier from eating so much!

Some people may complain that it is out of the way but the hotel run free shuttles throughout most of the day and night up to 10:30pm. If you don't catch a shuttle it is around 300BHT for a taxi.

I would highly recommend the Angthong National Marine Park Day Tour. You dont spend a great deal of time on the boat, it is mainly snorkelling, kayaking and swimming on the pristine beaches. I didnt find this trip commercialised like James Bond Insland tour etc and the lunch was nice unlike many other tours throughout Thailand. If you are going to do a day tour I would recommend booking it on the street rather than the hotel as you will save yourself a great deal of money!

Room Tip: My mum and I stayed in both a WOW room and a Cosy Room. Both were amazing!
1 Thank EllieU123
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Mu husband and I stayed here for 5 nights and we loved it. The views from the pool and restaurant are sublime. Our room (Cosi) was fabulous - nice and spacious with great views and lovely design. We also thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant - amazing food that I now dream about.

One concern, as mentioned my many others, is the lack of sun beds at the pool. It meant that the pool was not as relaxing as it could have been because all the lounges were very close to each other. There are also not enough lounges for the number of guests.

Overall, it was a great stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This a an amazing place to enjoy koh samui.The views,the staff,the breakfast,the pool, the rooms & the list goes on & on.they provide a free shuttle to Chaweang Beach & Bohput so makes it easy if you don't want to hire a bike or car.Loved waking up to the view through the huge glass doors.The staff here have exceptional customer service skills particularly the staff in the restaurant they are all so lovely.Can't wait to come back ..

Room Tip: We stayed 2 nights in a wow room & 2 in a cosy room.Both had exceptional views of Samui.The cosy...
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 23, 2013

From the time I stepped into the resort, checked in, spent time at the poolside restaurant, got to the room, spent times reflecting, introspecting, catching up with my pals, moved in and around the resort, swam in the pool, had cocktails by the poolside, went for a workout in the gym, then had an elaborate head to toe Thai Massage, the various cuisines we had at the restaurant, the transportation services, et al.. each and every facet was awesome and executed in the utmost care, warmth and professionalism! The resort is blessed with vibrant staff and they will floor you with their infectious smile, zeal and enthusiasm while servicing at all times, Exemplary stuff, Keep it up guys! I loved my stay there and hope to revisit someday with my wife, family and friends to have them experience what 5 star hospitality is all about!
Just to add in here, the rooms we stayed in were amazing, the sea view right in front, they were spacious and had all star amenities well stuffed, the balcony was big with a Jacuzzi which was brilliant! The view of the sea from the Infinity swimming pool is outstanding and unbeatable! If one is willing to spend and stay in a top line resort, Mantra is the place to be in Koh Samui! Cheers and Keep it rolling...

Room Tip: Room 131 had an amazing view.. go for it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ritwik B
Delhi
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a superb place to stay in Koh Samui. Best thing about Mantra Samui is its 24hr open swimming pool which has an amazing view. Breakfast had good variety with lots of fruits and cakes. We were 7 people in family with 2 kids and the kids loved the resort and its hospitality.

While booking the hotel we were skeptical if hotel will match its pictures but to our amaze it actually did and that too very well.

We stayed here recently from 16-18 October, 2013 and enjoyed our stay to the fullest. We took 1 family suite and 1 cozy room. We were even provided with cooking utensils in the Family suite as it had cooking stove. Resort has a lot of activities on daily basis to choose from. It has squash room, big gym, pool, open terrace for sun rise view, bar inside pool.

Only little problem which I read at some places was its walking distance but that also was not very much. But yes the slopes are quite steep so too much walking might be painful. The resort has a buggy service which could be requested from reception all the time so no big issue in moving around the resort.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an Infinity pool view then go for Cozy. If big family then Family Suite is a...
1 Thank amtyrai
NSW Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Booked well ahead for our stay at the Mantra obtaining an amazingly cheap deal from the hotels own website. We loved the kitschy shuttle van that picked us up from the Airport, the check-in staff very friendly and we expected from reading previous reviews that the check in area of the Mantra was going to be understated – it was but never seemed a problem for us. The lovely young lady from the front office who escorted us to our room was so helpful and came with us on our first ride in the buggy up the hill - quite exciting – it is steep!

Our room located right at the top was just amazing; the views from our room and extended balcony just surpassed our expectations. We appreciated being given an exceptionally large room, my husband loved the bubble enclosed swing on the balcony while my favourite was the enormous claw bath set in pebbles in the corner of our room –for me it was the highlight of our stay and really got a lot of use – could bathe while still taking in those great views – a real bonus.

Pleased to find with a 10 day stay ahead that we had a most comfortable king sized bed but on arrival only sheets on the bed so after a rather cool first night, requested a duvet (no problem) which made for perfect sleep for our remaining stay. Ample drinking water was supplied each day; the room cleaning was of a high standard.

Really appreciated having the large hi tech TV, come computer and the many free movies available accessed through the computer part of the TV. Others have commented on the free phone service not working but I used it extensively to ring back to Australia to both mobile and fixed numbers and had no problems at any time. The free wi-fi to my laptop worked fine, not brilliantly fast but able to do most work needed and also liked having plenty of easily accessible power points available for our Tech gear, a thing often lacking in hotels

With my husband’s health problems we utilised the buggies frequently for our stay, the buggies always arrived promptly, the drivers were always friendly and polite and they could really drive those buggies. I always walked back up to our room, about 102 steps after breakfast, my husband went in the buggy and we always had a laugh with the buggy drivers who invariably arrived at the same time as I did with my husband definitely not as breathless as me but a great fitness workout all the same.

Breakfast at the Mantra was a lovely occasion, plenty of choice, the very best noodle soup - my favourite Thai breakfast and have to congratulate the Mantra on having one of the best ever Noodle soups of any hotel we have stayed and I have checked out many. Lots of fruit, salad, smoked salmon, eggs whichever way – your choice and brought to your table. Coffee made to order was another plus but of course the winners at breakfast were the staff, just in the great majority so friendly and helpful and always looking out for our needs.

We ate at the restaurant on several occasions, did find that a little expensive and would have liked the Thai food to have been cheaper as we have found in other hotels while we expect Western food to be more expensive. Because of Thai food prices we did try Italian several times which we don’t normally do in Thailand but have to commend the Mantra on having some of the best Italian food including pizzas and pasta dishes that we have experienced out of Italy – some great food! Room service was always prompt with friendly service and the food hot which was appreciated.

Not being sun-bakers we used the Infinity pool in the afternoon so never had a problem obtaining a sunbed and we really enjoyed gazing over the edge of the pool to those wonderful views out to the Islands – the pool itself was an adequate size for me to do some decent swimming but being the afternoon never many people around.

Nice time of the day to have a cocktail as well at the Happy Hour – only negative here was not a large choice included in Happy Hour and cocktails are very expensive even is comparison to some of the large chain 5 star hotels who mostly have excellent happy hour prices. With the hotels more isolated location would have been nice to have better deals with the cocktails and we would have most certainly used this service more as we always do at other resorts consequently we took full advantage of our duty free and the 7/11 from Fisherman’s Village to keep our expenses down while enjoying our amazing views.

The free shuttle to Chaweng and Fisherman’s Village was a great service and we utilised the shuttles most days. The Fisherman’s Village was more frequent and only a 10 to 15 minute ride depending on the traffic. Shame for us was the afternoon/early evening service being 4.00pm and then not to 8.00pm to Fisherman’s Village – when eating out we mostly took a taxi down around 6pm then caught the shuttle back later in the evening as we found the 4.00 time to be much too early. Very easy to get to Tesco’s or the Big C as they will drop you off on the Chaweng shuttle and you can taxi back or organise that the shuttle stop on its later service.

The only negative of our stay was the inconsistent water pressure to the shower. Having a bath meant I didn’t have to worry but my husband was not impressed with the variable pressure – appears to be a pumping problem so needs investigating as the variation in supply was quite marked, possibly because we were on the top level.

We felt sad when our 10 day stay came to an end, we were very happy with the Mantra’s hilltop location but would suggest for anyone wanting easily accessed beaches and nightlife that this might not be a suitable place but if catching shuttles to get around is not your scene, cheap hire of scooters and vehicles certainly gives one the freedom needed while still availing oneself of the peace and quiet of a great hilltop location. For us having a quiet laid back holiday the Mantra was an ideal Resort – the exceptionally friendly staff make the Resort and the views have to be unsurpassed on Koh Samui.

For rating I would hesitate to compare the Mantra to so many of the 5 star resorts we have stayed at but for value, service and facilities I have rated it 5 stars as I believe in our case we received exceptional value.

Room Tip: Loved having a room on the highest floor - A Wow room - ours was very private which we prefer.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank barkem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Hansar Samui Resort
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam
Lanna Samui
Lanna Samui
#3 of 187 in Bophut

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!