Mantra Samui Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Fair House Beach Resort & Hotel(Bophut)(Great Value!)
$78
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort(Choeng Mon)(Great Value!)
$217
Muang Samui Spa Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$215
$208
  • Breakfast included
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$82
$68
Agoda.com
Bandara Resort & Spa(Bophut)(Great Value!)
$165
$74
Agoda.com
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$168
$145
  • Pool
Peace Resort(Bophut)(Great Value!)
$101
$86
Samui Resotel Beach Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$84
$63
Agoda.com
Amari Koh Samui(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$117
Amari.com
Hansar Samui Resort(Bophut)(Great Value!)
$184
$154
1,873 results
All reviewslove roomsteep hillinfinity poolwow roomsshuttle serviceshuttle busesyoga classesfree shuttlegolf buggiesocean view roomour honeymoonfisherman's villagethe main roadlarge balconybreakfast was amazingrent a scooterbophut beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel features great views, has a nice pool, rooms are ok but bins need lids as we had mice coming into the room each night looking for food and I also had one in my luggage that jumped out as I was repacking my clothes on the last day (YUK!) Also as other reviewers have mentioned the showers in the bathroom have no doors so water goes through the whole bathroom which can make things slippery and dangerous.
Shuttles are good & always on time although they do need more regular ones at night.
Some of the restaurant food was ok ie rice & chicken and cashews etc but the Caesar salad was appalling and the mango chicken (special) and duck that we had in the restaurant was tough. Also thought the prices were a bit steep for the quality of food served at dinner time.
The breakfast however was amazing! Each morning we enjoyed wonderful coffees, hot chocolates, pancakes, eggs and a range of other goodies.
The kids enjoyed the squash courts, the hubby enjoyed the gym & I enjoyed relaxing by the pool.
Would I stay here again - sure would however would like to see the restaurant prices reviewed along with the quality of food.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hewyrosey4
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Dear Hewyrosey4,

Thank you very much for your review!

I was super happy to read that you have enjoyed the breakfast at Mantra - indeed we put a lot of effort into providing a wide range of home made goodies like home made breads, pastries, jams, home cured salmon etc) so Chef Dani will be happy to hear that you enjoyed these.

I am also glad that you and you family could always find something to do even without leaving Mantra.

Your constructive comments are also appreciated. I will personally investigate what could have been wrong with the meal you had at the restaurant.

Because Koh Samui is a tropcial island with lush vegetation hotels it is a challenge to make sure that little pests stay outside of the resort. Mantra is very committed to making sure that the environment of Samui is protected and that tourism is sustainable. We work with a company that uses environmentally friendly ( and most importantly child friendly) products to prevent small creatures entering the area of the resort.
We also use ultrasound devices at the border of our resort to further our prevention effort.

Guests can help also us by making sure that they do not leave food around the terrace, or that calling room service to pick up the trays once they have finished the meal.

I am very happy that you would return to us and hope that you will!

Thank you again for your review!
Robert

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I booked this hotel as part of a package for 3 nights in Samui having read glowing reviews on this site. We were grossly disappointed with this hotel (and I almost never write scathing reviews) and was the WORST hotel we stayed at in Thailand. First, this is NOT a five or four star resort but a three-star budget hotel frequented by tour groups who I assume get a really good deal on the price- have no delusions this is a high end luxury resort. Yes the hotel has great views of the bay but as previously reported it is high on a hill- this provides a scary ( and I mean scary) incline at >85 degrees on the property requiring buggy rides to go up and down; The incline is so severe that we both almost fell off the buggy while coming up which is quite frankly dangerous-i doubt this hotel would have been approved in for safety in the US. The food at the restaurant is okay and service there was decent though when we asked for water we got the "cheeky" reply of "Its over there you can get up and get it yourself" though this was done with a smile! The spa is a good value and the staff was quite nice. The rooms are cheap and tatty- desperately trying to be a high end hotel like the Standard or Mondrian in LA but fall grossly below those standards. The bathroom becomes completely wet after a shower since there is no proper door to the shower only a glass wall.
The hotel offers some nice free amenities such as Wi-Fi and calls to anywhere in the world BUT charges you for in room coffee/snacks which are free at other properties.
The worst part however was the rude and abnoxious, "cheeky" front office staff (if you can call it that as it an open air room without a real front desk). I had to download an attachment from my email which did not work with the in room wi-fi; asked the front desk for help and the rude front office manager replied "You cant download it, we dont allow it" I asked if they had a computer to use and their response was "No there is nothing you can do" rolled her eyes, said something in Thai (I doubt it was flattering) and walked off. Later when I asked for change for a 1000 Thai bhat note her response was "We dont give change" and again walked off.
Additionally, if you want to enjoy the beautiful crystal clear waters of Samui-this hotel is a 20 minute bumpy ride on a dusty road drive away. The shuttle was dismal and drops you off on a dirt road about 400 meters from the main area. My advice: Pay a little more money stay on the beach and avoid this hotel. We went to the W which was across the street which was amazing........

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sguntupalli

Dear sguntupalli and Tripadvisor Members,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

The Mantra Samui Resort is a family owned boutique. We do not aspire to be an uber-luxury resort like the W – nor do we claim to be. Those hotels charge upwards of 700-1500 USD per night and the room you have stayed in costs between 100-200 USD depending on season.

While we do not try to compare to those opulent resorts that charge 7-15 times higher rates than us – we believe that we are the most fun five star resort on the island.
Though our online presence (on our website, on TripAdvisor and on our social media site) we go to great lengths to paint an accurate and transparent picture of the atmosphere and personality of Mantra.

We are a small boutique hotel and from our reception, through our Game Room, our Spa our Fitness Center our Gardens and our Rooms Guests will find charming details that make our environment intimate and memorable.

I truly believe that the variety and extent of our facilities and amenities together with our location make Mantra a very unique hotel on Samui.

In every room we provide a complimentary computer with access to the internet and thousands of complimentary movies. In addition we also offer, complimentary Wifi, amazing views, flat screen TVs, luxurious bath room amenities, and free unlimited international calls to anywhere in the world. We also provide a real illy espresso machine in every room.

Our list of facilities include: a state of the art fitness center, a yoga room where a wall is built from Himalayan salt bricks, a spa, and adult play room with pool table, a children play room, two squash courts, a movie theatre that can be used free of charge, steam room and sauna, complimentary shuttle service.

In addition to free wifi, free international calls and a complimentary movie library, we offer 22 shuttles free of charge every day, we offer complimentary gym clothes laundry, also provide complimentary cooking class once per week, complimentary yoga class every day and complimentary access to our two squash courts and free equipment rental. At our price point this list of complimentary services is unparalleled on Koh Samui. If someone would like to drink superb quality illy espresso in the room we charge for the use of capsules. As the capsules are imported and they are quite expensive (the cost for us is 1,7 USD per capsule) and as a small hotel we cannot offer them free of charge at our current room rates.

Our breakfast is a very extensive buffet breakfast where in addition to cold cuts, fresh fruits, salads, a wide range of dried fruits, nuts and cereals we also provide home baked breads, pastries, home-made jam, fresh noodle soup with a variety of noodles, eggs and pancakes prepared to order. Because our breakfast is buffet Guests can choose fresh from fruit juices and water to drink.
And as it is a buffet breakfast drinks are self-service and this is why our colleague very politely has let you know where the water is located. English is not a native language in Thailand and I am truly certain the terms she used were not meant to be rude - I am sorry if this has offended you.

I am surprised that you were not able to print or change money at the reception because this is something that we do on multiple occasions every day for all our Guests who request it. For the printing service (of for a matter of fact for scanning or any similar secretarial service) – unlike many hotels we do not charge.

I am sorry if you felt that my colleagues were unhelpful at any time during your stay. In fact, we love to make sure our Guests have an amazing and fun time which is the reason we rank so highly on TripAdvisor.
The wonderful thing about being among the top hotels on TripAdvisor is that it enables Guests, who are looking for a unique experience and want to stay at an independently owned boutique resort to find Mantra.
I am happy to answer any question of the TripAdvisor community please feel free to contact me directly at r.mayer@mantrasamui.com

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mantra Koh Samui Resort Thailand and am happy to recommend this Resort to you. The room was great with fabulous Ocean Views. The Food (Breakfast & Dinner) was sensational and the free Shuttle each day to/from Chewang Beach was convenient. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: The BBQ & Seafood nights were wonderful
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The pool and view from the bar is amazing!!! the Love rooms are great as well, only minor thing is that there is no privacy on the balconies, everyone can see everything.... It is a little way out from chaweng, but that is no problem as they have scooters to hire from there and cheap taxi's....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MattyJ86
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Mantra is a beautiful resort, the pool area is small but very nice and the views from the pool and restaurant can't be beat! The rooms are good(we had 2 love Jacuzzi oasis rooms) but showing a bit of age but still comfortable and nice as long as you are not expecting everything to look brand new. Breakfast was buffet style and very nice with decent coffee but be warned that there is nothing else in this area so be prepared to eat here or arrange a shuttle every time you want to go out to eat. Also be aware that this entire hotel is on a very steep hill so whenever you need to go somewhere you will be walking up or down very steep hills.
One more thing I think I should mention is that they claim that you can make free phone calls to anywhere in the world from your room but we tried everyday that we were there and never managed to make a single call.

PROS: Coconut jam at breakfast(OMG, seriously people I still dream about that Delicious jam!) Beautiful views from everywhere in the resort, spacious rooms with a huge deck, away from everything so super quite and peaceful.

CONS: away from everything so you have to take a shuttle or taxi to do ANYTHING, Super steep hills in the resort, small pool area for the size of resort so it was hard to get a bed by the pool, menus are a bit pricey so you have to pay up or go in to town.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends