I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Mantra. We stayed for a total of 10 nights in Koh Samui and chose to spend our last few nights at the mantra based on the trip advisor reviews. We wanted a bit of luxury so didn't hesitate in booking.
The hotel itself is lovely and the gardens and pool are stunning. I did however feel the area for the loungers is very small in relation to the size of the hotel and is quite cramped.
We stayed in a love room and the facilities such as music and movie library, large balcony and free international calls were great; however I didn't feel the room lived up to my expectations. The bathroom was small and was showing signs of wear and tear. The finishing touches for a 5* hotel were not as expected. For example the shower walls were painted rather than tiled and therefore had watermarks/splashes all over them, and the worktops in the bathroom were wooden and painted black as aposed to a marble/granite/laminate and this therefore didn't feel very 'luxury'.
The bed was comfy but the black platform around the base of the bed was certainly not and made getting in and out of the bed quite difficult! It would also be nice to be able to watch TV in bed which is currently not possible. A simple bracket so that you can position the TV would be an easy solution.
The food was lovely but more expensive than eating in Fishermans village however the service was good.
My main criticism was the location. I was aware it was on top of a hill and had read the reviews, however I was not prepared to be so far off the beaten track! I think this is mainly as we were totally spoilt for the beach side location and short stroll from the Fisherman's village in the resort we stayed in for our first 7 days. Yes the views at the mantra are beautiful, but it did not make up for the lack of not being able to stroll to the beach or wander into the centre of Bophut whenever you wanted. I did not like having to plan your days around the shuttle service. The evening shuttles into Bophut were 4pm (a little too early for dinner) or 8pm (a little too late for dinner). The staff however did give us a lift to the bottom of the hill so that we could catch a taxi on several occasions. The taxi drivers did seem to think that they could charge a premium to take you back up the hill, as you were unlikely to trek up the steep dark hill on foot.
Would I recommend this hotel; unfortunately not, unless you are happy to be a captive audience or hire a car/scooter. There are so many hotels to choose from in Bophut with fabulous beach side locations in spitting distance from the centre of Bophut.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a hillside in the popular town of Bophut, Mantra Samui Resort offers guests some of the most spectacular panoramic views of Koh Samui's beautiful coastline. Guests can enjoy these views in peace while being only a short distance from countless shops, an array of local restaurants and some of the most stunning beaches you have ever seen. The complimentary shuttle bus service allows ease of travel to all of these local hotspots. The hotel has a wide range of comfortable yet luxurious rooms, most of which have an amazing ocean view. On-site facilities are available for guests to enjoy, including; superb cuisine at the View Restaurant, an infinity pool with wonderful views of the island, a variety of treatments at the ''Jai Spa'',offering complimentary classes daily, and a top of the range fitness center which is open from 6:00 am until 10 pm daily. Mantra Samui Resort also has a 24-hour staff-service for guests. If assistance is required at any time of the day, simply ask and one of the team will be happy to help. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mantra Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Samui Hotel Bophut
- Mantra Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut