“Awesome and we will be coming back one day”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #18 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Melbourne, Australia
“Awesome and we will be coming back one day”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This place was amazing, they sent me a reminder email 3 days before we were due to arrive asking if I wanted a transfer from the airport, I got the transfers for free because I booked direct through their website. There was a guy waiting for us at the airport in this PIMPED out van, just for the two of us! We went up the hill, which has amazing views, and got to reception. They are all very friendly and speak pretty good english! We got whisked to our room and were left alone with smiles. We were in a COZY room which was just perfect for the two of us. We had a great view and were only two flights of stairs to the pool/bar/restaurant! The food was GREAT. We got breakkie for free and god it was good. Pricing is a bit higher at the restaurant but you can get snacks for a decent price. The pool is great, beers were cheap and the people, staff and other travellers alike, were hilarious and friendly. Our room was clean with a few scuff marks on walls and floorboards so if you're a sensitive soul best to pay $550 a night at a "5 star" resort instead. This resort is relaxed and casual, the staff have a joke and have many laughs!

The WiFi was free and easy to connect most times to our iPhones but it wasn't stable or very quick BUT Koh Samui is a mini island... so it was something I had to get used to.

The shuttles were pretty good for us, you just call up and let them know what time you want to go, they pick you up in the buggy and you jump in the Mantra van. Then you book a time to return... easy. And it's free! There could be another shuttle at night coming back BUT we never needed it.

I actually got a tummy bug throughout my stay and they took me, all by myself, in one of the big vans, to a pharmacy! Free of charge and didn't bat an eyelid! It is a 'hilly' resort so I couldn't be bothered walking arounf but the buggy takes you to and from your room whenever you want. Being away from Chawang is a tad annoying as I would have loved to just walk there but you get used to organising yourself to jump on a shuttle.

My partner made good friends with one of the bar staff, Tom, who is really cute!!! He was a great highlight of our trip. I hope someone gives him a big hug for us!

We never ordered room service but spoke with some ladies that told us it was basically 24 hours! They were ordering dinner at midnight and at the same price as the restaurant!

We never had an issue with the daybeds by the pool, it got busy at breakkie but most moved on after 1-2 hours. Many times my partner and I ended up with the whole area to ourselves! And waking up early to catch the sunrise is a must. The massage spa is really nice, I had a free massage given to me by a lady we met there, cute, and it was amazing, but I wouldn't have paid for it, the spa prices are really, really over priced, I know they will always be a little more then in town but these were really up there.

I could go on and on. Everything was easy and relaxed from the moment we arrived to the time of checkout. Just keep in mind it is a calm, welcoming and easygoing resort that will do anything for you!

Room Tip: COZY was great for two :)
3 Thank Olivia M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vadodara, India
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed for three nights at Mantra, Samui and couldn't have picked a better place to stay. Smooth check-in, check-out, good rooms, nice facilities - used the gym, hung out by the pool table (nice on the wall scrabble) and a good pool with a nice swim up bar. Most important - everything that we saw or experienced was done whilst taking care of the details. An interesting tap near the reception, golf carts with the irritating reverse buzzer removed, excellent explanation and tour of facilities while checking in. These small details are what made it a hassle free and relaxed stay for us.

Free international phones helped well too; could spend sometime everyday catching up with work; scooter rentals available at the hotel itself; one saw the GM running around and contributing in the breakfast service. If the top leads, staff will follow. Well done! Definitely A Grade and what one would expect out of speciality lodgings.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms definitely, though not much difference!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My family stayed in the Mantra for 4 nights in June and we really enjoyed our stay. The WoW rooms was spacious, clean, comfortable & had a wonderful view of the sea. We especialy like the Ubuntu restaurant which served sumptious breakfast as well as authentic Thai cuisine. Swimming in the pool was a wonderful experience as you have both the cocktail bar as well as the hill top view of the sea. Similarly you can run on the treadmill overlooking the sea. The resort does provide shuttle bus to Bophut & Chawaeng beaches which we found very convenient. If you want to chill out in a resort with good service & facilities, Mantra is the place!

Room Tip: Do get higher floors for better sea view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RickFun35
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear RickFun,

I am very happy that you had a excellent and enjoyable stay with us!

Chef Dani and JumP will be happy to heard that you enjoyed both cuisines in our Ubuntu Restaurant.

It is also great that you have found our shuttles to be convenient!

Thank you very much for your review - we hope to have you with us again soon!
adelaide
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed 8 nights in a Love room, the views were stunning.However the room was run-down:On entering the room the first thing we noticed was the "platform" around the bed,black paint chipped,flaked and what was the point of it ?My shins and thighs are still so badly bruised from getting in and out of the bed.I watched the poor room service girls making the bed one day,it is a health and safety disaster ! they had to slide up and down on that stupid platform on their bums, while negotiating the ugly light "cage" that hung from the ceiling.Get rid of the platform! We were also disappointed the TV could not be seen from the bed, the lounge sofa was so low on the ground it was very uncomfortable to sit on, and very difficult to get up from. We had room service one evening and there was no where to sit and eat it.No coffee table and only 1 chair. As mentioned the "platform" around the bed also prevented us from just sitting on the bed.Why on earth do you leave that "tray" of bottles of spirits and bags of chips, it gets in the way !
We were on the third level room 134,so about halfway up the hill.We had to negotiate an obstacle course just to get to the very steep road up to the restaurant;a staircase, a very slippery grassed area then a long slippery narrow platform with NO handrail, then the hell climb to the restaurant. Yes, we could have ordered a buggy, but to get to it we either had to negotiate 6 flights of stairs, OR the obstacle course ! Not a lot of choice.
The food in the restaurant was very good, I was suprised to see comments on how slow they were, we found the opposite,we ordered eggs,and they turned up just as we were sitting down to our cereal,we then had to go and make toast to go with the egg, by then eggs were cold.May I suggest a commercial toaster ? Also I highly recommend a handrail going down into the restaurant, 4/5 narrow steep stairs and no hand rail, it would not be allowed in Australia.I saw ladies tripping down the stairs on several occasions, I also had to "hang" on to my husbands hand going down the stairs, and I consider myself a very fit person.The stairs are scary in heels!
The pool area was awful, too small.cramped,crowded and stunk of cigarette smoke.The sun beds are too close together,not enough room to sit down ,you had to get on the bed at the bottom.It was so awful we gave up after 5 minutes and did not bother to go there again.Smokers please consider the children when you smoke. move away from the pool area!
Again the cocktail bar was too small and again stunk of smoke, in fact the smell of cigarettes blew into the restaurant, consequentially we did not have a cocktail,very unusual for us on holiday! The constant smell of cigarette smoke in the pool and restaurant area turned us off eating there. Robert, be brave and ban the use of cigarette in a food area! You have a little baby and I am sure you do not want him/her confronted with dangerous chemicals from selfish smokers!
Would I come to the Mantra again? probably not.

Room Tip: Pick a room close to the restaurant.Forget the LOVE ROOM, it is tacky and the platform around the be...
DEar Saveloy,

We would like to thank you for your review!
I am happy that you have enjoyed the view from our resort and that you find the food in our restaurant to be very good.

We understand that room decoration and preferences are a matter of personal taste I am just surprised why you have chosen that room as its decoration - along with the platform bed is clearly visible on our website - an all partner websites as well.

LOVE 134 is actually one of the favorite room among our Guests because it is on a higher level, yet it can be approached through the garden without stairs in the building and the buggies can drop you off in from of the garden entrance from where it is quite flat. It can also be approached from the ground floor of the building (four flight of stairs.).

Having said that I am sorry that you have stayed with us for 8 nights without once asking us that you would prefer a different room. While we are quite full we always try to do our best and would have been happy to relocate you to a lower floor or to a different type of room all together - had you asked us.
We would do this to all our Guests because despite that our room design is well displayed on our website and we list the available amenities accurately sometimes people would like to change and that is perfectly fine.

For the benefit of future Guests a short summary of our rooms:

All rooms have amazing sew view weather top floor or not

The Wow rooms are on the top of the property and come with a kitchenette.
Our love rooms come with a Jacuzzi on the terrace and if you request top floor you will need to climb 3 flight of stairs - the buggies can drop you off in front of the building.
The Cozy Suites have a separate bedroom and living room and are the most spacious.
The Grand Family Suites are perfect for families travelling with 2-3 children)

Our buggy service is available 24 hrs a day.

Not being a smoker myself I believe it is our job is to create an environment where both smokers and non-smokers can "coexist without disturbing each other.
Our restaurant is a completely open air restaurant that is 300 sqm large. In one corner we have the bar where smoking is permitted (this is the only place where it is). This area is over 15 meters away from some of the seats in the open air restaurant which means that people who prefer a smoke free environment can do so quite easily. Coincidental the best seats in the restaurant are the furthest from the bar and are 100% smoke free. We have been open over 18 months and have received no other complaint about this issue in the restaurant I am sorry that this has affected your restaurant experience.

I would like to thank you for the recommendation of the handrail, I have already ordered it for the restaurant and it will be installed soon!

I am sorry that you did not have a perfect stay and wish you had let me known about the room preference during your stay so we could have helped the situation significantly.
I would like to thank you for your review and your constructive feedback
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights, honestly I am lost for words, this place is amazing, the resort is stunning, the staff are amazing, the food is mouth watering and the view is to die for. We absolutely loved everything about this place, the staff are so nice and will go above and beyond to please you, if I could give a 10 star rating for the service, they deserve it. The shuttle buses are convenient and the location of this resort is perfect. I would like to give a special thanks to khoong, she went to a new level to make our stay more amazing than it was. We loved the cute sayings and loved the little treats they left for us :). To conclude this trip exceeded our expectations and we will definitely be back. It's true when mantra says anything is possible. A very big thank you for making our holiday special.

• Stayed June 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed in Mantra Samui for 6 days to celebrate my 1st Wedding Anniversary. I booked the resort going as per the reviews on TA and believe me we were not led wrong by the reviews...The resort is about 20 mins from the Airport and 15 mins away from the main area of Koh Samui which is Chaweng...Unlike other guests we found the location of Mantra Samui perfect to enjoy a perfect view from top of the mountain and away from the hustle-bustle of the town...If you are frequent and obsessive party animal then this is not the place for you... The Love Room was perfect for us. Have listed below some elements of the room which get a big thumbs-up from my end.

Unlimited International Calls - Never heard of this anywhere
Movie library- Exhaustive and entertaining library
Jacuzzi on balcony - Brilliant concept and thought
Wi-fi - Though temperamental but very useful
Unlimited Water - Water made from reverse osmosis technology. Feels good to drink recycled water and help the planet.

Other +ve elements of the Hotel:
Breakfast - Though repetitive omelettes were good. Coffes are out of the world.
Swimming pool - Nice, clean, big and scenic pool
Shuttles - Very important factor if staying in this resorts. Just book the shuttle an hour in advance and enjoy the near by areas free of cost. Shuttles always leave and pick-up on time. Keep it up!
Staff - The staff as mentioned earlier was very courteous and helpful. Sai at the reception always greeted us with smile and helped us schedule our trips!

Overall a very good resort and has rooms as per your the purpose of visit, size of family etc...!

Room Tip: Couples should book Love Rooms. Ask for rooms on higher floor for the best view.
2 Thank Manish1721
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Manish,

I am very happy that you chose us for your first anniversary and that you had a good time with us!

Reading that you appreciate our efforts to protect the environment and offer locally sourced water in glass bottles put a big smile on my face!

I am really happy that you took advantage of the complimentary movie library, the unlimited international phone calls, the free shuttles and many other things Mantra has to offer!

We are looking forward to have you back with us - perhaps on a next anniversary!
Thank you for your review!
Scotland
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Mantra Samui hotel for 4 nights. After reading the reviews on here and viewing their website, we were very much looking forward to a few nights of luxury. Our room was a decent size with good facilities, the food was nice (in particular the fresh baked goods at breakfast time), it has lovely views and some of the staff members were very friendly and helpful. However our room was starting to look a bit scruffy, the towels by the pool didn't always smell freshly laundered, there was a bad smell of sewage next to the sun loungers by the toilets and we often struggled to get the attention of the staff who seemed more interested in standing about talking. Also while the view is great, you definitely pay the price in the location as it is quite a trek to get anywhere (walking from our room to the bar was an effort!), so it's not really possible to walk anywhere and you are tied to using the shuttle buses (which are free but at irregular times), or getting taxis. All in all we did enjoy our stay, but were a bit disappointed as it didn't meet our high expectations.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank superjo_7
Dear Superjo_7,

I would like to thank you for contributing to TripAdvisor with your review!

I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectation but was glad to read that overall you have enjoyed your stay.

Because we are trying to be very mindful of our impact on Samui we have asked our Laundry Partners to avoid using scented softener because the ones that are available on the island are quite damaging to the environment.
Having said that, I think your point is important and I will look into finding a supplier who can provide the laundry with environmentally friendly scented softener.

Our 17 engineers are continuously working on maintaining Mantra at high standards. Even though we are only fully open for 18 month we are in the process of repainting all our rooms one by one as our occupancy permits it.

I am glad you enjoyed our home baked goods at breakfast and hope we could have you with us again!
Robert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
#1 of 30 in Mae Nam
Lanna Samui
Lanna Samui
#2 of 185 in Bophut

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!