“Fantastic stay”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #15 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Had a wonderful stay,6 nights went so quickly breakfast was very nice I like how we could have as many coffees as we liked, fruit was fresh. The Wi-Fi Was free which was good to keep in touch with family and friends. The gym was very well equipped they made you feel very welcome, nothing was to hard for them to do. breathing taking views from our bedroom, very friendly staff. Would love to go back and stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Eddy G,

Thank you fro your kind review - we are happy that you had a fantastic stay with us!
I was glad to read that you took advantage of our Gym and that you have enjoyed the view!
We are looking forward to have you back!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed at the Mantra Samui for 7 nights on our honeymoon. Coming from Phuket it was definitely a refreshing change.
The hotel is set high on a hill which offers stunning views. It is one hell of a trek from the bottom- i DO NOT recommend it lol. The hotel offers shuttle buses to Bophut and Chaweng all day and night which is very convenient.
We stayed in a LOVE room which was beautiful. Stunning views and a jacuzzi on the balcony-perfect for a honeymoon.
The breakfast was DISGUSTING. They have no idea what an eggs benedict was and when you order pancakes you get ONE pancake the size of a small pikelet. They only had bizarre juices such as rosewater, etc to choose from. They did make a great coffee- if you want to wait for 10 mins.
The hotel is very clean and the inifinity pool is stunnng.
The hotel offeres free transfers to and from the airport so make sure you take advantage of that.
I would recommend this hotel.
I would also recommend hiring a car if you can to go and see the rest of the island- takes about 1.5hrs to drive around. We got a Toyota Hilux for 2 days for 3000 THB.
And the elephant trekking in Koh Samui is much cheaper and SPECTACULAR!!

Room Tip: Choose a room depending on what you want to get out of it!!
1  Thank moniethebest
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Moniethebest,

We would like to thank you for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay, called our Love room beautiful and that you found our shuttles convenient.
For most of our Guests the Mantra breakfast is a highlight and they especially love our pancakes. We believe size does not matter :) and encourage our Guests to feel free to order pancakes multiple occasions.
We are glad you have enjoyed our coffee! We are serious coffee lovers and believing in preparing coffee fresh to order (and not brewing it in advance and serving stale coffee). At popular times our super trained baristas have to prepare a lot of coffee and and this could mean a short waiting time. We believe that this short wait more than makes up for an amazing coffee because as they say: "The powers of a person's mind are directly proportioned to the quantity of coffee he drinks." :)

Once again I would like to thank you for your review!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Mantra Samui is a beautiful hotel - the infinity pool of course being the main attraction with breath taking views looking out towards the ocean. The hotel is peppered with small attention to details which you only notice after a good few days into your trip.

The staff are extremely friendly, and nothing is too much trouble which makes you feel very welcome.

Breakfast was included in our stay (which I believe is standard), and it's excellent. They provide a menu of eggs such as Royale, Benedict, scrambled, omlett etc etc, providing a broad variety, together with extensive fruit, cereal, pasteries. We had lunch at the hotels on a couple of occassions too and that was also good - the menu includes sandwiches, burgers, pizza's and a broad selection of Thai food.

However the issue is that while the hotel does host amazing views it is quite far away from the closest town, Bohput (Fisherman's Village). It's extremely steep and certainly not possible to walk down the mountain, or up come to that! Therefore to compensate the hotel does provide a complimentary shuttle service to Bohput and Chaweng (the larger, more livelier town), but they run at really obscure times -the last shuttle back from Bohput is at 8.15 - not ideal if you're looking to grab dinner, smooch around the shops and pop in to a few bars. While you can get a taxi service back it costs 300 BHT which is overly priced considering the distance to the hotel and unfortunately the drivers aren't willing to negotiate. As the hotel doesn't provide any evening entertainment you therefore end up going in to Bohput or Chaweng most if not all evenings during your stay (that or have an early night in with a movie in your room). The morning shuttles aren't much better with the service beginning at around 11am.

Taxi's on the island are expensive in general so we actually ended up hiring a scooter to get around at the price of 200 BHT a day (although you can find this cheaper if you book outside of the hotel). The beaches on the island aren't the perfect white beaches that you invisage Thailand to host (which of course they do, just not in Koh Samui) - the closest we found was Chaweng but you are hassled constantly by street sellers that it completely ruins the experience. Having said that Mae Nam is gorgeous but a more golden sand and darker water but most definitely the nicest beach on the island, despite a lot of people recommending Lamai but if you head to Lamai prepared to be constantly being hassled by sellers.

All in all a fab trip and a glorious hotel! If only they provided more shuttles!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brogan P

Dear Brogan,

Thank you very much for your review!
It was great to read that you called our breakfast excellent - One of our chefs just completed a super seminar in Spain to enhance his knowledge -so we will make it even better....:)

I have talked extensively with my wife regarding you comments on the beaches in Samui. We agree that Mae Nam beach is excellent and also believe that Chaweng would be better without the street seller. For your next visit I would recommend Crystal bay on the way to Lamai - that is our favorite because it is too small for street sellers:)

We constantly adjust our shuttle times to make sure that it fits with the needs of most of our Guests. There is a late night pick up shuttle at 21.30. We need to consider a lot of things for the schedule because we also provide complimentary transfers to Guests who book directly and we also need to make sure that our drivers -we have 11 - are available for airport pick ups during the busy check in / check out periods.

I am really glad that you have and it really makes us feel great that you called us glorious!

Thank you!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Having booked 90 days in advance we received a significant discount on our hotel room. I would have been disappointed if I had paid full price but with the discount if made it great.

The rooms are clean, though already in need of repair. Their free Wi-Fi was a little temperamental, though I guess we were in Thailand. Our room was close to the restaurant so were woken either by the early morning music or by the banging of the construction. That was a little disappointing.

The gym is great but bloody hot. They really need to tint the windows as it gets direct morning sun. Poor air-conditioner struggles. Don't be fooled by the "free laundry for gym clothes". They will return 3 days later which makes it pointless.

The breakfasts were getting tired as well. They 3 items that are menu items (which are tiny) and the rest is just scrambled eggs / omelette with bacon / side. They had one thai dish but was usually a haphazard last minute thought (that looked like it was last nights leftovers). The pastries were great and is normally all I ate.

Lunch and dinner were pretty good, expensive but that is to be expected at the hotel. Beers were luckily on special for 90 THB because trying to charge 150 THB for something that's 50 THB in the village would be a bit of a joke. Where you can try to eat at the village (Bo Phut) as it will be cheaper.

The pool is great (very warm) however when they are full you struggle to get a seat late morning. It will clear up again in the afternoon. Despite the signs, people will still reserve pool chairs. The pool bar and staff were great (especially "Bee" who was very friendly). The pool chairs are way too high (I know, small things) and the staff struggle a bit with noticing when you need another drink. (You could be waiting for a while trying to get their attention while they chat or do other things). Another not quite 5 star service thing.

The hotel is a fair way away from anywhere, so you do need to take advantage of the free shuttle bus. Even if you are fit, it is unlikely you will walk down to the main street more than once.... its a while in the heat.

I and the wife had a few massages there and they were very friendly, probably the best in terms of service at the whole hotel.

All in all, if you're paying over $200 per night its going to disappoint you, but if you get a discounted rate you will be happy with the experience

Room Tip: As recommended for my trip, ask for a room as high as possible, but be prepared for the stairs.

Dear Scott,

Thank you very much for your review!

I am really glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you and your wife were happy with the massages!

It was also very nice to read that you mentioned Khun Bee by name and that you were happy with him and found him very friendly.

I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding how we can make Mantra even better.

Of course we are happy to hear the praises but I am also grateful for having Guests like you - who like Mantra so much that help us with valuable feedback.

I will investigate the points you mentioned and make sure we make changes wherever we can.

I was a surprised to read you comment about our breakfast offering because in addition to our extensive selection of fresh fruits and cereals and nuts, we provide home smoked salmon, Italian cold cuts, freshly prepared noodle soups in our "Asian Corner", home made pastries with home made jam (all made in Mantra by our lovely kitchen colleagues, fresh juices, eggs to order and a lovely pancake. In addition if we know about it in advance we can prepare gluten free dishes as well and all our meat is halal certified.

Nevertheless I will talk to our Chefs to see how could we make breakfast even more exciting!
Once again, thank you for your review and you kind help! We are looking forward to have you back

Reviewed May 8, 2013

The hotel was spacious, clean & has a to die for outlook. Unfortunately to gain this beautiful setting it has been built on top of the hill with very steep inclines all around. Their problem seems to be in lack of care for guests safety as all inclines are steep & rooms have to be climbed to with up to 3 floors of steps with no handrails. I was one of the unfortunate ones who fell from the area to the restaurant which also has no handrails resulting in a broken arm. The local hospital who put me in a cast informed that they have many incidents from the hotel.
The staff were wonderful, service 5* - also though the bathroom had no storage for toiletries & the open shower gave a whole new meaning to a wet room!!
We would love to stay there again BUT the safety issues in this 5* hotel need to be addressed before somebody has a fatal accident

Room Tip: Should you want up close & personal go for the " love suites" ( as long as you're...
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 week in April 2012. After reading some reviews we decided to book this hotel despite the distance from the beach and local amenities.

This hotel was AMAZING! The breakfast was delicious and the staffs were all friendly and could not do enough for us to make our stay pleasurable. There is a golf cart to transport you to breakfast from the reception area as it’s up a hill.
Fanatic squash courts with AC and the gym provides a free laundry service to wash your gym clothes and have it delivered to your room (restricted to a few items). The pool was clean with views looking at the sea, very tranquil.
The room was spacious and had a Jacuzzi outside with fantastic views of the sea (which we could see from our bed). The room had a TV loaded with plenty of films to watch.
The location is a fairway from local amenities however, the hotel provide a mini bus service (one-way/ return) free of charge to the beach and shopping areas – this was brilliant and the driver was always on time.
We had a lovely stay at this fantastic, quirky hotel where the Manta is to be HAPPY!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear CheekyPrincess,

Let me start by saying - I love this name. It might mean that you are THE perfect Guest for Mantra - seeing that our motto is Cheeky! with Love!

I would like to thank you for writing your review I am truly happy that you had an amazing stay with us!
It was great to read how much you appreciated our complimentary drop off service! We do it with love so its great to hear that it works well!
It also made me smile how you mentioned that you enjoyed the view from the bed - we consciously made sure that from all rooms the view is constantly visible:)

I am glad you had a happy stay and am looking forward to have you back for more happy days. With a name like that you are a true member of the Mantra Family!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I recently returned from a eight night stay with my husband,from the very first day we were made to feel uncomfortable by the waiter in the restaurant ( Bee ) he was rude and expected to be spoken to with respect but showed no respect at all to the patrons.THis happened not once but the whole time we were there to the point we wanted to leave the resort and book in somewhere else,it made it very uncomfortable for the remainder of our holiday.The manager on our last day sent her apologies in regards to the staff member but by that point we had made up our mind never to stay there or recommend it to travellers.As for it being a five star rating resort I would not give it more than a three star.REception staff were very helpful.Found the distance to travel to the beach annoying as we're under the impression the beach was not far away when in fact it is a ten to fifteen minute drive by shuttle bus,and found the taxis were charging us a fortune as it was out of town.Pool was not big enough for the amount of patrons the resort services with there being one small size pool for the whole resort,with little privacy as most rooms look straight out onto the pool with no privacy on the balconies.Dress codes need to be communicated better due to no signs in regard to dress code in the restaurant.Such a shame that one waiter can destroy such a lovely holiday and resort.

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Janet M

Dear Flygirlgem,

Thank you for your review.
I was shocked to read the review as Khun Bee is mentioned numerous time here as a returning Guests favorite.

It is indeed a shame that one interaction with a waiter could ruin your experience and I am truly sorry for that!

Our motto is Cheeky with Love and our purpose is to be a fun five star hotel. We truly encourage open communication both between our colleagues and with our Guests.

Numerous friendships have developed in Mantra both among Guests and our colleagues. It is not uncommon that our colleagues show their favorite places on the island for our Guests - Our Chef for example is a fanatic fisherman and he frequently shows Guests where good fishing can be done.

This open atmosphere is built respect and the acceptance that people from different cultures can behave differently without wanting to upset others. We believe that this is what travelling to foreign countries is all about.

These values prevent us from creating dress codes as we believe that Guests should feel better than at home.

We never advertise to be near a beach because we believe our location is our biggest advantage. Most hotels on the beach - due to building regulations on Samui can not provide an amazing view that we can and we cherish this view.
We also provide 20 shuttles a day (drop off/pick up together) free of charge - a service that no other hotel, even in similar location. offers.

We created the entire hotels so this amazing view can be enjoyed from all rooms and also from our Restaurant, Spa, Gym ad Himalayan Salt Yoga room.

I am sorry that Mantra is different that what you expected and I thank you for your review.
Robert

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Amari Koh Samui
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam
Nora Buri Resort & Spa
Nora Buri Resort & Spa
#18 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!