“Good hotel but not even near to 5 stars”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #16 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights and enjoyed our stay once we decided to ignore that the advertised features aren't what you get. The biggest flaw is that the hotel did not deliver what they promote. Pick up from the airport in an old mini van (names handwritten on a piece of paper, no iPad as stated in their correspondence, hence no paperless check-in) with serious transmission issues making noises that one wondered if we ever make it up the hill. We came in early and the really helpful and friendly staff offered us a holding room until our own room was ready for us. The holding room was unfortunately so smelly that we sat most of the 2.5 hrs on the balcony. Once the room was ready we got a Wow room which is absolutely ok as that was what we booked but... please update your website because there it was written (and is still) that so far every guest received an upgrade to a cozy suite. The room itself is spacious. Drawbacks here were a really bouncy king size mattress, no chance to move without letting the other person feel each move at night and a refrigerator that we had to turn off during night due to the noise this thingy made. (not a regular hotel fridge but a normal small household fridge that should have no business in the same room where a bed is standing). The fact that they just opened in November suggests that they are brand new. They might be a new hotel but the buildings and rooms are not, they have seen years rather than months. The rooms do not have a PC, they have a media center which is ok for internet access. I needed MS Office, Open Office, whatever as even during holidays sometimes business crosses your path. I should have brought my Laptop which I did not because "Yes all our rooms come with a PC". There are many movies stored in the media center but the hotel management should think twice if it's a smart move to promote them as they do . They really should consider to respect other parties intellectual property instead of using it to their own advantage. Finally, the daily room make up was not consistent, consumable items were not refilled in a way you expect it from a 5 star hotel. So far, so good (or not)...

The good: The staff was really helpful and worked hard to make all guests happy. Nothing to complain about at all incl. all reception, restaurant and fitness room staff. All of them were around with smiles all day long and that gave the whole stay a very positive touch. The breakfast was good, we've got worse in other 5 star hotels. The fitness room was brilliant, the pool above average. We liked the location as we were looking for something quiet and remote and this was exactly what we got. The views to the sea and Ko Phangan are magnificent. All in all we enjoyed our stay but we needed to adjust our expectations on day one. If you are really looking for a 5 star experience with the kind of consistent quality bigger intl. hotels offer then this is not the place for you to go. If you can accept the smaller issues in life you might have a place where you can spend some wonderful days. They really should keep a lower profile on their website and impress the guests with the qualities they really have.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Shunima
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear Shunima,

I have read your review with very mixed emotions!
The reason why I am happy and thrilled is that you have found my colleagues to be "helpful" and you appreciated that they worked hard to make all Guests happy. All this with big and genuine smiles!
This for me is the biggest compliment Mantra can receive!
In addition it was very nice to read that:
You find our breakfast to be better than in other five star hotels
In your words our fitness room is brilliant
You have enjoyed our pool
You find the view from you room magnificent

Regarding the issues you have mentioned:

We never advertise that we provide complimentary upgrades. Complimentary upgrades are provided by us whenever it is possible. We have several factors to consider before upgrading Guests (availability, length of stay etc) one of the most important being the previous correspondence with the Guests. If for example somebody is active on our facebook page even before arrival we will do everything we can to return this kindness.
Demanding an upgrade will not result in receiving an upgrade because it is not fair towards the people who booked the higher category room.

We provide complimentary airport transfer to all our Guests.
This is a service that no other five star hotel offers. Not only do they not offer it but they seriously over charge for even a short transfer (charges can be 2500 THB per way even for a 15 minute trip).
On most days we provide complimentary transfers to an average of 101 customers. Because of the great popularity of this complimentary service, sometimes we have to use outside companies to make sure we can offer the free transfer to all our guests.
This of course is a significant cost increase for us but we believe that this is an important service and a very good way to show our Gusts our most important value: "Show Love"

Since the 1st of January we have provided complimentary transfer to 3470 persons and we had no complaints for using an outside company for a complimentary service.
Of course if somebody whishes we provide luxury transfers as well where the Guests have an option to choose between being picked up by our Luxury Jeep or by our Vintage Mercedes Limousine.
The minibar fridges that we use in all our rooms are specially built for hotels by Toshiba. We chose larger than the standard mini fridges because we would like to provide extra space for our Guests.

The PCs that we have in the room are client machines and we cannot allow the storage of Guest files for obvious privacy issues. If somebody would like to us "Word or Excel" for working can do so by using google documents, a free online service by google available for everyone since 2007 and used by hundreds of millions of people.

More importantly on many occasions our Guests need to use a scanner or print certain documents. They can do this by simply contacting our front office colleagues and ask them to help. We do not charge for scanning, printing or any such secretarial services because I dislike it when other hotels try to charge me for something as trivial as scanning or printing a page.

I do believe this is also a good way for us to exhibit to our Guests our most important value: "Show Love"

The negative effect of overconsumption is a real danger on this lovely island of Koh Samui. I am determined to make sure that we leave the least possible environmental footprint.
This is why:
We have our own wells so that all the water we use (tap water and in the swimming pool) is purified rain water.
We minimize our use of plastic product
Reuse packaging card board boxes for name cards
Use reusable glass bottles for drinking water
Print on recycled paper with soy ink
Use luxurious bathroom amenities that were created in an environmentally friendly way
Encourage our Guests to reuse towels
And this is why we do not refill packaged bathroom amenities unless we are asked to do so.
Bathroom amenities like shower caps, toothbrushes, nail files are reusable items. Refilling them would be encouraging senseless waist. Of course if someone would like us to refill them we will do so.

Like everywhere else on the island check in time is 2PM in Mantra.
Unlike everywhere else on the island, when Guests arrive early we make sure to provide them with their rooms as early as possible and free of charge. If their room is not yet ready we provide an alternative room for them so they can wait in comfort.

These rooms are provided complimentary because this is also a way for us to Show Love.

Of course if somebody would prefer to use our swimming pool, fitness center, spa, restaurant, yoga room, squash courts and bar area for waiting it is also possible.

Dear Shunima, I strongly believe Mantra is special exactly because it is not part of any international chain. We do not have committees with centralized policies, just a small group of enthusiastic individuals who live for hospitality. Mantra is a hotel created by love and with real personal attention. Everything you find here was sourced with a single idea: To make Mantra a lovable and personal five star hotel.
Robert

Write a ReviewReviews (1,809)

Reviewed February 19, 2012

I would just like to thank everybody at the hotel for such a great holiday, and making me, my partner and my friends soo welcome! Thanks to woody and especially Armani ( one of the managers)one of the nicest people we meet in Thailand. This hotel has everything you need.the best view in koh Samui with one of the best infinity pools I have ever been in, I don't say this lightly as I have stayed in many great hotels including the 7 star Dubai , and this hotel beat all of them for me. The staff are so helpful , polite and relaxed in a professional manner .the rooms even the standard rooms are beautiful .they always try to upgrade you if the hotel is not full free of charge and every room has breath taking views. It is only 10 mins away from the main area but wonderfully quite up on the hillside.this hotel has to be the best value for what you get on the island, if it was called the four seasons it would be 4 times the price for the same service, as it is quite new the prices are very good I'm sure when they become more established the prices will go up , so I would get there as soon as possible. Hope to see everybody again in a couple of months when we come back. Thanks again Armani you were amazing !

• Stayed: February 2012
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Deaer Aidan,

It was a joy to have you with us! Khun Armani and Khun Wooddy can not stop talking how kind and nice you were.

I appreciate very very much for your kind words and your big compliments!

We are looking forward to have you with us in a couple of months! Robert

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Amazing hotel!! Got a very good deal, brand new hotel although the location is a little bit secluded and it is quite far away from the beach (you cant walk to the beach, it is on top of the mountain). Would be perfect for anyone who wants some private time. A little bit hard to go anywhere, although the hotel do provide regular bus transfer to Fishermen Village and Chaweng Beach. Be mindful tho, you MUST BOOK in advance or you will be left behind (it happened to us). We booked the bus to go to Fishermen Village but didnt realize that we had to also book for the return trip, we waited for 30 mins just to realise that the bus didn't come (and it was the last scheduled return bus), so we had to go back by private taxi (cost us about B300). Despite this, we really really enjoyed our time in the hotel. The staffs were very friendly and helpful (I was sick, the staffs didn't mind taking my boyfriend to go to a pharmacy to get some medicine despite the late hours), the food were great, the pool was amazing. And also, the room was hugeeee ( we stayed in the love suite)! We would come back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank poy_girl

Dear Poy_Girl,

It is very very nice to read how much you enjoyed Mantra!

I am truly sorry for the misunderstanding regarding the return transfers. they need to be booked in advance so we know exactly whom we ned to pick up and when. Since your review I have put an even higher empasis on informing our Guests about this.

I am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay in Mantra and we welcome you back with open hearts!

Reviewed February 17, 2012

We have been here for 4 days and have almost another week to go. If you are hesitating (even after after all the good reviews) JUST DO IT - you will love it. It is 5* but with a little quirkiness which makes it a bit different. The staff are soooooo friendly & helpful - anything to make your stay a good one. When we checked in, we were taken by buggy to a Wow room right at the top of the complex. Yes, the view & the room were truly WOW but it was too steep for my husband as he has recently had hip surgery. We asked to move and were upgraded to a Cozy room right by the pool - an even more amazing room (actually more like an apartment as it has 2 bedrooms a lounge & a huge bathroom.) All this was done with a smile! One day I hope to be able to come back & have a Love room with a jaccuzzi bath on the balcony - then I will know I have truly made it!
The breakfasts are wonderful but if there was any complaint at all, it is that we did not enjoy our evening meal very much & felt it was over-priced. However having said that, it was a one off experience & we will give it another chance.
We have hired a scooter to get around as the hotel is up a steep incline & too far to walk for restaurants etc. It is only about six pounds a day from the hotel. Taxis cost six pound each way into town.
There are a restricted number of sun-beds around the pool but I am told that more are being delivered today & actually it isn't much of a problem as there are plenty of places to sit.
In conclusion: Thoroughly recommend if you want a chill out holiday - the staff are the best.

Room Tip: Room 224 is right next to the pool & restaurant therefore the best for families with young child...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bookworm77

Dear Bookworm77,

The title of your review is "Fantastic Mantra" and this is exactly how I felt upon reading your review!
I am personally responsible for some of the quirky ideas in Mantra so it is very good to read that you appreciate this!
I am very satisfied that my colleagues have upgraded you to a COZY Room and I am truly happy that you enjoy it!
I would like to thank you for giving our restaurant a second chance I hope you have enjoyed your meal the second time!

It was great to read that you like your room and love our breakfast, but the best for me is the compliment you have given to my colleagues. Thank you! Robert

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Amazing holiday, honestly recommend it to everyone who want to experience a particularly beautiful vacation at a dreamful spot. Charming staff on whom you can count in all situations, delicious cuisine, breathtaking view... everything or even more you van emagine for a perfect stay. If anyone has the chance to go for it, should not hesitate just do it!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Eszter W

Dear Eszter W,

I told my colleagues that you have called them Charming and you should have seen the smile on their faces:) Thank you for writing a review and we are looking forward to have you and your family with us! Robert

Reviewed February 12, 2012

This place was a total dream! First-hand account and some pictures here:

and here, point # 2 talks about Mantra:

Room Tip: Cozy Suite ALL THE WAY! Huge and romantic.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elina V
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Dear Elina,

Thank you very much for your detailed review on your blog! I could not agree more with your post about working out during holidays:) I am happy that you have enjoyed your stay in the COZY Suite and would love to have you back with us again! We dreamed of creating a wonderful place and you called Mantra a "total dream". It melted our hearts. Thank you! Robert

Reviewed February 11, 2012

The staff and the hotel,the eat and the programmes,the weather and the nature is aaaaaall fantastic,i enjoyed so much this 2 weeks what i spend there,i can recommend for everyone!Its a really good quality hotel,i liked the bathroom the most with the shower room with stones,that is amazing!;)))Goooo and visit this beauthyful island with this hotel,why u will have a really enjoyable stay there!;)))Thanks Mantraaaaa!!;)))Cheeky with Love:*

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank NicoletteBalassa

Dear Nikolette,

Thank you for your cheeky and lovely words! I am happy that you have had fun in Mantra and we are looking forward to have you with us by our pool again! I am glad that you could take time an write a review of Mantra Thank You Very Much!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
6 mi away
Nora Buri Resort & Spa
Nora Buri Resort & Spa
#17 of 104 in Chaweng
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!