“Best treatment for body and mind”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #21 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Helsinki, Finland
“Best treatment for body and mind”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed at this unique hotel for 12 days. My aim was to recharge my batteries, rest my mind from all hectic and pressure back home, eat healthy and fresh food and do yoga/sports.
Mantra is an outstanding place for this. The place in itself provides an amazing sight to the landscape and sea, mixed with palm trees. The restaurant and pool area are modern and luxurious, food is delicious and not overpriced.Staff all over the hotel is extremely friendly and helpful. They truly desire you to enjoy every moment of your stay.
I visited all room types (to make up my mind in which I wanted to stay) and they all have a modern, Thai and traquil interior....you just feel at peace when laying and relaxing on your bed!
Gym (biggest I have seen in a hotel) is highly modern and equipped with the best machines on the market. Yoga facilities are outstanding and yoga class teachers are on a level, which you can not even dream of in any yoga club in big cities...(+ classes are included in the price).
This resort is new, modern and clearly addressing the needs of today's travellers, who are constructive and want to get great value for their money and time during their holidays.
Fisherman's Village/beach is a 6min (free shuttle) ride from the resort.

Room Tip: WOW rooms are suitable if you do not wish to see what is going on at the pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dan T
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2012
Dear Dan,

It was great to have you in Mantra for many reasons: I enjoyed our conversations and I even more enjoyed to see how more relaxed you became day after day!
It is rewarding for us to know that we helped you to recharge your batteries! Similarly, it is great to read that you found our facilities great and our colleagues to be friendly, I also believe that they are:)
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review!
I am really looking forward to your next visit! Robert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We stayed at the Mantra Samui for three nights in December as a part of our three week honeymoon in Thailand. We had a fantastic stay at Mantra; the staff were extremely friendly and would do anything to help you and it is probably one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. The hotel facilities are fantastic and the attention to detail in the design of the hotel is first class; we loved the infinity pool and the elephant trunk taps in the reception. We stayed in the Love Room which was amazing and great having a hot tub on the balcony and having a computer with films, music and access to the internet in the room plus the massive bed.

The hotel is located on the top of hill so it is a bit isolated and you can’t really walk anywhere however due to the location the views are spectacular and it provides a great get away from the hustle and bustle. Bophut is only 5 mins away by car and Chaweng is about 15mins away so you can get to the shops/restaurants quickly but you just can’t walk to them but the hotel does provide free shuttles.

Although we don’t have children the hotel seemed to cater for children really well and even has a baby room, games room and movie theatre to keep them entertained.

The resort is amazing, the rooms and views are beautiful and the staff and service is out of this world. There are however a few things that we would recommend the hotel look into to make the hotel and experience even better!

Our recommendations/minor areas of improvement;
1. Some members of staff didn’t have the best levels of English which caused us a few problems when telephoning reception and booking the squash courts. We never experienced problems when talking face to face only over the phone.
2. Breakfast was lovely; great food choice and made to order hot food rather than buffet however you only get offered the fruit juice of the day and when I asked for orange juice I was presented with the fruit juice bar menu and shown that I would be charged 198bht (£4) which seemed a bit excessive. I would recommend having orange juice for guests to help themselves to by the free water at breakfast.
3. Drinks and food prices are quite high – we stayed in several 4/5* hotels during our stay in Thailand and the Mantra was the most expensive.
4. We had access to the internet on the computer in our room but we could not get wifi on our iphone or ipad which was slightly disappointing. We did speak to Robert when we were there and he said that the wifi did not work with apple products. I would recommend that the Mantra look into getting this resolved as soon as possible.
5. When we were at the Mantra there were only 5 shuttles to Bophut and Chaweng a day – I really do not really think this is enough and there were no shuttles in the evening making it expensive getting taxi’s every evening. I have seen on their Facebook group recently that they have increased the number of shuttles a day which was definitely needed so hopefully this issue is now resolved.
6. It wasn’t really an issue when we were there as the weather was overcast however there are limited numbers of sunbeds (funky large beanbags!) around the pool and I would think on a busy day they would be taken straight away.

Overall we had an amazing stay at the Mantra Samui and one that we will remember for a very long time. We would definitely stay at the Mantra Samui again and would recommend it to anyone going to Koh Samui – hence the five stars! I have only written the minor areas for improvement above to help the new boutique hotel get even better!

I don’t normally write reviews but I did use Tripadvisor a lot before our trip and found it really beneficial so I wanted to pass on our thoughts/comments to help others when planning their holiday to Thailand. We hope everyone else enjoys staying at the Mantra as much as us!

A massive thanks to all the staff at Mantra Samui, I am sure we will be back in the future!

Room Tip: Love room includes a hot tub on the balcony!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LuntyNottingham
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear LuntyNottingham,

Thank you taking the time and writing your first ever review on tripadvisor about Mantra. We truly appreciate your kind words!
It is of course nice to read that you have enjoyed your LOVE room, and it is specially good that you have mentioned the elephant trunk water taps in the reception. I am glad that you like them as they are one of my favorite parts in the hotel.
While your praise of Mantra - calling it one of the best you have ever stayed in -makes me happy, it makes me even more merrier that you try to help us with your suggestion! Your feedback (and the feedback of other Guests) help make Mantra a truly unique hotel. All we have to do is listen to you:)
1. Finding colleagues that are kind, friendly and speak a high level of English is not very easy. We are lucky to have found very kind people and have started to teach English for them 2-4 times per week - depending on department. We started this in May 2011 but some of my colleagues have still a lot to learn. I agree with the validity of this point and are focusing a lot of our energy to increase the level of their English knowledge (especially in our F&B department) more rapidly.
2. Thank you for this suggestion I will make sure to provide this as soon as possible.
3. Koh Samui is the most expensive part of Thailand (ingredients are expensive to ship here) and our prices are 25-35% less than comparative 5 star hotels. We are sadly unable to lower our prices without compromising on first class quality.
4. We have invited our IT expert to fly in and have a look at the situation as we do not quite understand how is it possible that the wifi works well on all tablets and smart phones but apple products. We will find the solution, but of course in the meantime our Guests can use the free pc we provide in every room with high speed internet.
5. I am happy to let you know that the 15 shuttles we provide a day free of charge is proving to be sufficient for our Guests. I am sorry that during your stay it was only 6. This is a perfect example where we listened to our Guests and made changes very quickly to make sure our Guests are happy!
6. We are counting the days until the extra sun beds that we have ordered months before arrive:) The due date is the 14th of February and by then there will be a lovely sun terrace on top of our squash courts.

Once again, I can not thank you enough for your kind letter and your suggestions! I am honored and lucky to have Guests like you in Mantra!
I am really looking forward to have you with us again, so you can see how much Mantra has improved to be even better! Robert
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Mantra in January, and we were very happy with choosing this hotel!

The room was exquisite, quite spacious, very comfortable bed, a lot of light, nice walk in shower. Every room in the hotel has a balcony. We stayed in the WOW room, called so because of the view, which WAS WOW.

Being that the hotel is on a hill and the terrain is quite steep, from the reception desk you can ask for a golf car to take you to your room whenever you need to, or to get you down from it, which was quite helpful.

The reception workers were unbelievably friendly!!
They helped us organize excursions, with transport, and gave us advice on pretty much anything about the island. The were by far the most helping and positive receptionists I have aver come upon, and I have traveled a lot!!

The food for breakfast was very good, fresh and tasty, although I must say that the choice was not excessive. Omelets (some 7 types offered), fresh juice (amazing), coffee, fresh fruit... Quite good, and good service! Fast room service, but, again, amazing food yet not a big food choice.

The only problem is the location of the hotel. Its on a top of a hill (this gives the hotel its amazing view from every room) and quite secluded. The shuttle is quite often but it does get a bit stressful the knowledge you have to catch it or you have to pay for the taxi which is not cheep (which drives you from or to the hotel for about 900 baht which is app. 20 euro to go to the main city in one direction or for 300 baht app. 9 eur to the fisherman village ).

But with the islands frenzy, going up to the hotel made us feel relaxed and we were glade for its secluded peace and its friendly helpful faces.

I would recommend it for everyone who likes his or hears peace when they need it and, like us, don't like staying in loud cities when on vacation, although I have to mention it is not for low budget travelers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear MissMajam,

I would like to thank you for staing with us and taking the time to write a review about our hotel!
I am happy to read that you enjoyed the view from our WOW room, I also find it breathtaking:)
It is good to read that you have enjoyed the breakfast and found our food quality amazing. Chef Dani will be really happy to read this:)
Even better to "hear" about the friendliness of my colleagues at the reception! They are really a nice and professional team!
It is good that you appreciated that our location is peaceful! Our 15 complimentary shuttles a day make it easier to get to the beach.
Once again, I would like to thank you for staying with us and writing a review! The Mantra Family would be happy to have you with us again! Robert
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Mantra Samui is a fantastic hotel resort , set in amongst beautiful surroundings.

The rooms (good choice available) are immaculate, spacious and are fully kitted out with double wardrobes, a large couch, a big flat screen tv, a fully loaded media box with Internet access and consistently fast WiFi connection. The en-suite bathroom is big & beautiful and the rain forest shower is just pure heaven. Add to all of this, a private & sea view facing terrace with a sun couch & a jacuzzi. Need I say more!

Resort facilities are top notch. The restaurant is fantastic and serves great Thai & non Thai food. The bar is fully stocked, with an exceptional cocktail menu. All of this set, witYh the most beautiful views overlooking the Koh Samui coastline.

The infinity swimming pool is stunning, with in-pool access to the bar. There are numerous sun couches, with pool side shower facilities. Very nice indeed.

The hotel is not beach front, but is set amongst the hills. This is rather nice, as it is hidden away from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng, but the daily, regular & complimentary hotel shuttle service can get you there in less than 10mins. Fisherman's village is less than 5 mins away, so the resort is ideally located. Oh and we loved being transported around the hotel in those cool little golf buggys!

Excursions are willingly organised and everything can be settled at check out. I like that, as you don't have to hunt down an ATM for odd amounts of cash. There is also an on site gym, yoga theatre and cinema. We didn't get to use these facilities, but jeez what a great backup to have, on a rare, rainy Koh Samui day!

All of the above is fantastic, but for me what makes a hotel/resort great, is the staff. This is where the Mantra Samui really excels. The staff are all humble, courteous, friendly, accommodating, multi faceted and no job is too big for them. All of the staff speak good English and you can even have a good laugh and joke with them. They really looked after us and even gave us a cool Christmas present when we checked out.

Overal my fiancé and I, both had a truly wonderful stay at the Mantra Samui and one that we will remember for a very long time. We will both definitely be returning and have no hesitation in recommending this great hotel & resort.

A massive thanks to all the staff at Mantra Samui, we will be back!

Yatin & Vanessa

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank YMistry
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Dear Vanessa and Yatin,

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review! I am very happy that you had such a great time in our hotel!
It is important for me that you have enjoyed the food in Ubuntu and that you appreciate that we wanted to create the perfect room!
It is even more important that you found my colleagues to be helpful and humble! I believe they make Mantra special!
It was wonderfully nice to have you with us and it goes without saying that you are a part of the Mantra Family now and we look forward to have you with us again! Robert
belfast
Reviewed January 11, 2012

me and my friend stayed at mantra during december for three nights. The staff were very plesant and helpful they could not do enough to ensure our stay was the best it could possibly be.

The delux room we stayed in was gorge, very clean, spacious, nicley decorated. Free transport was provided to collect us from the airport and to transport us to the local town for the night.
the goruds are very well kept, infinitly pool was great!!

staff could not have been nicer.

me and my firend would definately retrun to mantra in the future. thanks for making our experience of tialand all the more enjoyable!!

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Mantra was one of the best places I have ever stayed at! It boasted great views and a ton of amenities including my personal favorite: different books to read in every room that you could bring to lay out on your balcony or to the fantastic affinity pool. The free yoga classes followed by wonderful breakfasts made the start of every day fantastic. The staff was also very friendly and helped my friends and I (at any hour of the day) book day trips and ferries to different islands. The shuttles also make the Chaweng beach and Fisherman's Village very accessible.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear Jenny,

I am very happy that Mantra was one of the best places you have stayed at and that you have enjoyed our books - we have spent a lot of time choosing the right titles...
It is great that you have participated in yoga!
I would like to thank you for taking the time and write a review about us and I would like to let you know how much it means to me that you found my colleagues friendly and helpful! I am looking forward to have you in Mantra again! Robert
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Mantra Samui was probably the best resort that I've stayed at out of all my trips overseas. The resort is amazing, the rooms and views are beautiful, but most of all, the staff, service and food are the best part! For those who may think that the resort is too far from Chaweng (the main area) it is only a 10 minute drive which the hotel kindly organizes for you, pick up and drop off, free of charge. We will definitely be returning, thank you Mantra for making our stay as enjoyable as it was!!!

Room Tip: If your a couple, love jacuzzi is a MUST!
4 Thank Julian G
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear Julian,

Your group was amazing to have in our hotel! Our colleagues are still talking about how "cool" you guys were! Naturally it feels very good that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we can not wait to have you back! Robert
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Hansar Samui Resort
Lanna Samui
Lanna Samui
#3 of 187 in Bophut
Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!