“Met expectations- great stay!”

Hansar Samui Resort
Ranked #13 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The resort's Facilities, pool, rooms, restaurants, staff were all great! Hard to find good service in koh samui, but found it here! Great spot in terms of the location to beach and Bophut markets.
Dined at The resort's "H Bistro" and highly recommend it!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,405)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were at Koh Samui in January.

Positives: Hotel is VERY beautiful! Rooms are modern & lots of space! Balcony - was our FAVOURITE!!! Yes, I agree with most comments about glass bathroom & bamboo door to the wc, but it didn't bother us. Location of the hotel was also very good!!! Lots of restaurants & close to Friday market! Most staff were very nice, but especially Marketa, A, Dean, Oh, a pregnant girl at b-fast (sorry forgot her name), Viang, Tiger! Hansar is certainly the best at Koh Samui!

On less positive there is just one comment -the beach was dissapointing.... But 3 other beaches we found were also not that fantastic - so it might be that Koh Samui is just not for the beach vacations...

I would certainly recommend to stay at Hansar if you go to Koh Samui!

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Hollye
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Hansar Samui for 6 nights, January 19 – 25, 2013 and loved the experience. Our expectations were fairly high based on the many positive reviews found on Trip Advisor and elsewhere and we were not disappointed. As others have commented, the architecture, interior design, appointments, landscaping and lighting are creative and interesting. Guestrooms are spacious, beds comfortable and views over the gardens, pool and sea absolutely beautiful. The location in Bophut is perfect, close to restaurants but far enough removed to feel private.

The infinity pool is unsurpassed for size, design and ambience. Guests who actually want to seriously swim for exercise will love the Hansar pool experience. And those who want to splash about and relax on the lounge chairs will love it too. As with any resort, lounge chairs will be at a premium during peak hours, I noticed that chairs appearing to be taken were actually free as occupants leave without bothering to remove towels. We never had a problem obtaining lounge space.

The breakfast hot and cold selections were fresh, plentiful and accommodate a variety of appetite requirements; aromatic delicious coffee is freshly made by the cup. What could be better than sipping your morning coffee on a peaceful terrace looking over the gorgeous coastline and islands in the distance?

When the evening exterior lighting comes into play, the hotel is magical. The guestroom terrace lighting evokes the candle balloons that are released into the night skies for good luck. Vendors on the beach in front of the hotel sell the candles for 200 Baht and most evenings numerous wishes are sent into the skies, a lovely sight.

We found the management and staff of the Hansar Samui to be welcoming, customer service oriented and at all times helpful. I felt there was genuine concern that our stay was memorable.

Some reviewers have commented about the open concept shower area as a negative, if modesty is critical and you can’t figure out how to share facilities to ensure the necessary privacy, then perhaps this is not the hotel for you. Wardrobe space is limited; take that onboard before you pack. We were fortunate to be assigned a room on the 3rd level, but I think the majority of guestrooms feature lovely views.

The Hansar Samui is a romantic, luxury boutique hotel perfectly suited for couples seeking relaxation and beautiful surroundings. We highly recommend the hotel and would return again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Myrna C
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We spent five glorious nights here in December 2012 for our honeymoon. This was our second holiday on Samui and the second time staying in Bophut. Last time we stayed in Bophut we promised ourselves we would stay at Hansar simply because it looked so nice! We are so glad we did and could not be happier about it.

Check in was easy and the staff warmly welcomed us with a cool drink and moist towels. The hotel is beautifully appointed (if that was not obvious from the pictures!), the room was spotless, light and comfortable - on arrival our bath was adorned with rose petals as was the bed, there was also a fresh fruit basket and chocolates. The bed is the most comfortable beds that we've come across on holiday anywhere. The shower is enormous...long story short the, the room was perfect.

Breakfast was fresh and varied - buffet and a la carte, the service was friendly and helpful and the morning views hard to top! Much of the food used in the kitchen is grown on the premises.

As noted by others Bophut is probably the classier, more relaxed of the beach villages on Samui. Good shopping (as far as Thai islands are concerned), good food (street and restaurant) and a nice and generally quiet beach. Hansar is conveniently located just on the edge of the Fisherman's Village.

The focal point of Hansar is surely the pool. It is simply magical. Luxuriating in the pool staring out to sea without a care in the world is worth every cent.

We already plan to come back here which I guess is the real measure of the place.

Room Tip: Seaviews a must!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank wombat06
Reviewed January 29, 2013

As you can see from the breakdown, I think this ranks 5 on every point.

To start off with the negatives, the water pressure in the shower could be better, and the rooms have so many light switches it borders on absurd. Those are literally the only things I can think of to say might be even slightly "negative", and even then the showers are "rain showers" so might be designed to be a bit weaker than usual and ended up being quite lovely (partly due to my sunburn!). We stayed here for 5 nights in January, and I returned for the last night of my trip after finding the accommodation in Chaweng disappointing (see separate review). I can honestly say I'm considering spending every January here.

I rank this top for location, although that (maybe more than anything else) is entirely subjective as it really depends what you're looking for. The hotel is located a 2 minute walk from the Fisherman's Village in Bo Phut. It's quiet compared to places like Chaweng, but has lovely little bars, shops and restaurants, which is great because the restaurant at the hotel (H Bistro) is expensive (but totally worth it) and probably not ideal for dining every night. If you do want to head into Chaweng, the hotel will organise a car (400/500THB) and it's a 15 minute or so drive, and very easy to get taxis back whatever time of day or night. And the staff recommended some nice places to try in the village, too.

The hotel is right on the beach, but the pool is so amazing you probably won't bother walking the extra ten feet. The pool is very big compared to some other very nice resorts down the same stretch that I saw (such as Zazen) but doesn't feel over crowded. The sun loungers are nicely spaced and I never felt "encroached" by others, even when it was busy. The infinity pool has a truly beautiful view out over the sea. There is a bar right by the pool and plenty of staff to bring you delicious cocktails, towels or complimentary water. And they have a happy hour 2 for 1 on certain cocktails, three times a day!

The staff here are truly wonderful. It would be difficult to single out any particular members of staff, because they were all so lovely. Particularly when I returned after my failed trip down to Chaweng. They all thought it was hilarious that I had come scuttling back to them, and I even got a room upgrade for my last night which was delightful. I got a really nice sense that they all enjoyed working there, and wanted to make sure you enjoyed things, too. There was very little they couldn't do for you, or at least try, and one member of staff in particular was great dealing with Thai Airways when I wanted to change my ticket (to extend my stay...!). Sorted everything out without a hitch, and just completely took the hassle away. They also arranged complimentary late check-out for me, and will provide space to shower and change later in the day before you head off (again, complimentary). We also did a day trip to Ang Thong National Park, and again the hotel organised the tickets, pick up and drop off (from and to the hotel directly) and even gave us little sun visors for our day out which was so sweet!

Both rooms I stayed in (Sea View Twin and Sea View XL) were fabulous. The Twin didn't have a bath, but a huge shower. The XL had both bath and shower, and a lovely four poster bed. Both rooms were modern, stylish and clean, and very well appointed. Big balconies on both really completed the relaxing elements of the room, as it provided a lovely place to sit out in the evening, or to return to during the day if you were trying to escape the sun, with big comfy rocking chairs and large bed-style sofas. The XL is obviously more of a "honeymooners" room, and you should know the bathrooms are only partially enclosed, so in the XL the bath is actually in the room. I doubt that would be too much of an issue for couples, and friends should easily be able to make it work as we did. Please also note in both rooms, the toilet is properly enclosed!

We ate in H Bistro just the once as it is pricey, but really worth it. They had a great mix of Western and Thai food, and we went Thai for our mains and the beef rib massaman curry was easily the best I ate in Thailand. Breakfast is also completely delicious, and included in the room rate. Very extensive, with a mixture of buffet (Western, Asian, continental, etc) and made to order, like eggs and pancakes. Sitting out on the deck (whether for breakfast or dinner) looking out over the sea really is quite special. And the lighting of the hotel at night is beautiful too, even down to the balcony lighting being designed to work with the whole look of the hotel - very nice touch. I also had room service a couple of times, and we ate some "bar snack" type food (grilled chicken and gyozas, etc) and it was all delicious. And really well presented, too, and it was nice to see they took as much care over a bar snack as over a main at the fancy restaurant.

I also had a spa treatment (for my sunburn) which was really fun, and the Spa is great. The staff there (as everywhere else in the hotel) were fantastic, and it's a really personal service. You book in advance and there was nobody else in treatment room, so it's a completely relaxing experience. They combine various treatments in one, so while the wrap was working I had a head massage, etc. Again, it's not cheap compared to some of the spas you might find down the beach or on the road, but then the two aren't really comparable...

This hotel is great value for money, which you should bear in mind when looking at prices because there are obviously cheaper places, but where (I'm sure) you wouldn't have the same sort of experience. Considering what we had for the 5 nights, we ended up thinking it was quite cheap. Our 5 nights came in at just over £1,200 (total, not per person) which included accommodation and breakfast, all our drinks by the pool (cocktails, coffee, etc), the odd can of beer from the mini-bar, cars to Chaweng and the airport, as well as the evening in H Bistro and the trip to Ang Thong. Spa treatments (which came in at around £50 excl. tip) were paid for separately.

As I started with the almost ridiculous "negative" of water pressure, I'll finish by saying (if I hadn't made it clear) that anyone considering a trip to Koh Samui should try and stay here. Whilst there may be other resorts that come close (Zazen is beautiful too, but very different) I can't believe there are any others in the area that would be better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
13  Thank DanRawsterne
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Located at the start of the Friday street market at Fisherman's Village, Hansar is centrally located yet not noisy. (A characteristic of Bophut too). It is architecturally interesting, with some nice details, the infinity pool and cabanas to laze around in.

Buffet breakfast comes with a great selection of eggs and waffles made to order, and a good selection of coffee and tea. Happy hour happens 3 times a day, which make the prices for drinks very competitive with the bars along the Village. Perfect for a lazy trip.

One thing to note is the openness of the bath room. It is awkward for ordinary friends sharing twin rooms as the bath with the wonderful rainshower has no doors/curtains. Also to note, make sure your roomie doesn't open the door when you are bathing or the person at the door will see you. The frosted glass of the bath facing the bed and also the WC makes all actions semi-visible as well. In the double room, the glass is clear.... Not sure about the room with the bath tub.

There was a security lapse on the last day that made me minus points for the rating. A self-proclaimed 'friend of a guest' ran out from the gym to ask for my WiFi password, and I had to reject him multiple times. Suspecting he was not a guest, I reported the situation to the reception but there was no reaction/action. Higher alertness to guest reports will certainly make this a better place to chill out in....

Overall, still recommended. But the spa next door is better.

Room Tip: Double rooms mostly face the water directly. Twins are on the side wings. (Refer to bathroom comment...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Good Points Perfect location - 2 minutes walk to Fishermans Village with shops, bars & restaurants but no unwanted noise. We ate in excellent & varied places, both local & also aimed at tourists all within a 10 minute walk, in fact we were spoilt for choice.
Lovely views over the pool & out to sea. We had a Sea View XL on the first floor, wouldn't have wanted to be on the ground floor as views not as good & straight onto pool, so a bit noisier. Room clean, light, airy & spacious
Breakfast was fine, ate dinner only 1 night, it was okay, but a bit pricey for what it was.
Bad points – Beds around pool were too regimental & far too close together, it was difficult to get your choice of sun or shade as they were so close it was usually your neighbour's umbrella dictating the sun/shade –also they were mostly all taken pretty early in the day with the towels on beds brigade. For most of our stay beds were available on the beach, which was better, but would have been nice to have had the choice
In the room – the chairs were very uncomfortable. The shower had a lovely ‘waterfall’ shower head, but using this soaked the floor in the room & the mats which we put there got saturated, so ended up mainly having to use the handheld shower head. the shower is totally open and there are large glass panels in the loo area too, so if you need ‘bathroom’ privacy it would be a problem. The bathroom had dreadful lighting, insufficient for make up or shaving. We asked what they could do & we were quickly given 2 plug in lamps, which whilst a vast improvement were still not adequate. Air conditioning was very noisy, my Husband had to sleep with ear plugs in.
We were there 10 days, so had plenty of time to look around, We had dinner at the neighboring Anantara, which looked beautiful and the staff were so attentive making sure we had everything we needed, even though we were not guests - but don't think many rooms have sea views & they are generally smaller & a little older. We also ate at Zarzen, which was amazing, but it has such a tiny beach area. Depending on what you are looking for & whats important to you, I'd say these are the best 3 hotels in this area. For more luxury & more seclusion W resort is close, but there isn't much to walk out to close by

Room Tip: Go for the XL Seaview if you can and ask for 1st or 2nd floor in the middle
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple