As you can see from the breakdown, I think this ranks 5 on every point.
To start off with the negatives, the water pressure in the shower could be better, and the rooms have so many light switches it borders on absurd. Those are literally the only things I can think of to say might be even slightly "negative", and even then the showers are "rain showers" so might be designed to be a bit weaker than usual and ended up being quite lovely (partly due to my sunburn!). We stayed here for 5 nights in January, and I returned for the last night of my trip after finding the accommodation in Chaweng disappointing (see separate review). I can honestly say I'm considering spending every January here.
I rank this top for location, although that (maybe more than anything else) is entirely subjective as it really depends what you're looking for. The hotel is located a 2 minute walk from the Fisherman's Village in Bo Phut. It's quiet compared to places like Chaweng, but has lovely little bars, shops and restaurants, which is great because the restaurant at the hotel (H Bistro) is expensive (but totally worth it) and probably not ideal for dining every night. If you do want to head into Chaweng, the hotel will organise a car (400/500THB) and it's a 15 minute or so drive, and very easy to get taxis back whatever time of day or night. And the staff recommended some nice places to try in the village, too.
The hotel is right on the beach, but the pool is so amazing you probably won't bother walking the extra ten feet. The pool is very big compared to some other very nice resorts down the same stretch that I saw (such as Zazen) but doesn't feel over crowded. The sun loungers are nicely spaced and I never felt "encroached" by others, even when it was busy. The infinity pool has a truly beautiful view out over the sea. There is a bar right by the pool and plenty of staff to bring you delicious cocktails, towels or complimentary water. And they have a happy hour 2 for 1 on certain cocktails, three times a day!
The staff here are truly wonderful. It would be difficult to single out any particular members of staff, because they were all so lovely. Particularly when I returned after my failed trip down to Chaweng. They all thought it was hilarious that I had come scuttling back to them, and I even got a room upgrade for my last night which was delightful. I got a really nice sense that they all enjoyed working there, and wanted to make sure you enjoyed things, too. There was very little they couldn't do for you, or at least try, and one member of staff in particular was great dealing with Thai Airways when I wanted to change my ticket (to extend my stay...!). Sorted everything out without a hitch, and just completely took the hassle away. They also arranged complimentary late check-out for me, and will provide space to shower and change later in the day before you head off (again, complimentary). We also did a day trip to Ang Thong National Park, and again the hotel organised the tickets, pick up and drop off (from and to the hotel directly) and even gave us little sun visors for our day out which was so sweet!
Both rooms I stayed in (Sea View Twin and Sea View XL) were fabulous. The Twin didn't have a bath, but a huge shower. The XL had both bath and shower, and a lovely four poster bed. Both rooms were modern, stylish and clean, and very well appointed. Big balconies on both really completed the relaxing elements of the room, as it provided a lovely place to sit out in the evening, or to return to during the day if you were trying to escape the sun, with big comfy rocking chairs and large bed-style sofas. The XL is obviously more of a "honeymooners" room, and you should know the bathrooms are only partially enclosed, so in the XL the bath is actually in the room. I doubt that would be too much of an issue for couples, and friends should easily be able to make it work as we did. Please also note in both rooms, the toilet is properly enclosed!
We ate in H Bistro just the once as it is pricey, but really worth it. They had a great mix of Western and Thai food, and we went Thai for our mains and the beef rib massaman curry was easily the best I ate in Thailand. Breakfast is also completely delicious, and included in the room rate. Very extensive, with a mixture of buffet (Western, Asian, continental, etc) and made to order, like eggs and pancakes. Sitting out on the deck (whether for breakfast or dinner) looking out over the sea really is quite special. And the lighting of the hotel at night is beautiful too, even down to the balcony lighting being designed to work with the whole look of the hotel - very nice touch. I also had room service a couple of times, and we ate some "bar snack" type food (grilled chicken and gyozas, etc) and it was all delicious. And really well presented, too, and it was nice to see they took as much care over a bar snack as over a main at the fancy restaurant.
I also had a spa treatment (for my sunburn) which was really fun, and the Spa is great. The staff there (as everywhere else in the hotel) were fantastic, and it's a really personal service. You book in advance and there was nobody else in treatment room, so it's a completely relaxing experience. They combine various treatments in one, so while the wrap was working I had a head massage, etc. Again, it's not cheap compared to some of the spas you might find down the beach or on the road, but then the two aren't really comparable...
This hotel is great value for money, which you should bear in mind when looking at prices because there are obviously cheaper places, but where (I'm sure) you wouldn't have the same sort of experience. Considering what we had for the 5 nights, we ended up thinking it was quite cheap. Our 5 nights came in at just over £1,200 (total, not per person) which included accommodation and breakfast, all our drinks by the pool (cocktails, coffee, etc), the odd can of beer from the mini-bar, cars to Chaweng and the airport, as well as the evening in H Bistro and the trip to Ang Thong. Spa treatments (which came in at around £50 excl. tip) were paid for separately.
As I started with the almost ridiculous "negative" of water pressure, I'll finish by saying (if I hadn't made it clear) that anyone considering a trip to Koh Samui should try and stay here. Whilst there may be other resorts that come close (Zazen is beautiful too, but very different) I can't believe there are any others in the area that would be better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated just 10 minutes from the Island's International airport, Bophut Beach's newest 5 Star Resort features 74 luxuriously appointed rooms with unobstructed ocean views, free wireless internet access and oversize balconies. A leisurely stroll down the quaint cobblestone 'walking street' adjacent to the resort, is the vibrant Fisherman's Village, with its antique wooden shop fronts, chic cafes and atmospheric seaside bars. The name Hansar is taken from the ancient Sanskrit language and translates to mean happiness and joy. The concept and philosophy of Hansar Samui is to deliver an experience to each guest that is happy, memorable and enjoyable. Hansar Samui is about living life in full colour and finding joy in every moment. Hansar Samui offers luxurious, beachfront, spacious accommodation with unobstructed sea views from every room, and supersize private balconies and oversize daybeds for outdoor living and entertaining. Open plan yet intimate, each room has been artfully finished with teak floors, terrazzo bathrooms and local textiles to provide a sense of place. Chic custom furnishings, large flat screen TVs balance the design's natural touches with a modern flair. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Hansar Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hansar Samui Hotel Bophut
- Hansar Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut