“A fun day!”
Review of Seahawk Speedboat

Seahawk Speedboat
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We booked this day trip through our hotel to go to Koh Tao and Nangyan Island and we had a great day! We had our own breakfast before we went so were not bothered with the small selection that was on offer. The speedboat trip took 1.5hours to get to Koh Tao. We did get very wet on this journey so I would advise anyone going to take a waterproof jacket or something if you have it! We stopped near Koh Tao beach and did some snorkeling. We stayed in an area away from other tours which was good. We are not pro snorkelers so this trip was great for us! Cold drinks were supplied to us on the boat. Lunch was very average but then it usually is on day trips.

We then went to Nangyan Island which was amazing. Especially on the side of the beach where everyone does snorkeling as even though it was busy there was plenty of space and the water was warm and great to swim in. I would definitely re-visit this island as it was one of my favourites.

All in all tour guides were great and really helpful and we enjoyed the snorkeling that we did.

1  Thank Sally C

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I agree with ALL the other negative reviews of this outfit. A VERY disappointing and at times downright dangerous day.

Pickup. half an hour EARLY. Absolute scramble to get in the van, you don't want people waiting for you, even though it's clearly written in your receipt what time to expect pickup.

Then to some place at a DISGUSTINGLY filthy small port beach for breakfast. Breakfast? Yeah right. There's a bowl of seasickness pills on a table. Would it kill you to explain to people that if you don't take these BEFORE hitting the water they are useless? Or do you guys simply not know this? Same drama with the water and no straws. (It's now a year after people have commented on this). It's actually not OK to make people feel like idiots when all you need to do is make things clear.

Then after an hour or so we go back in the van, a few minutes drive and we are at the next pier. I have no inkling why we could not have had breakfast at the new place we arrive at now? It's not like we needed a kitchen.

So. On the boat. Hmmm. It would seem the photos of the boat were taken a few years earlier. In a bit of a different state. There's a mean chop and I'm expecting accidents as some of the people get on, but we get lucky. Men at the front please? There's an area at the front of the boat that sits about 7 guys. I'm thinking there's 3 reasons they need us there (I'm a fibreglass boat owner myself) Extra weight at the front so the boat doesn't lift out of the water too much and slams down again too hard. When it slams down again guys can laugh about it - ladies more likely to freak out. Lastly, ladies don't like getting soaked through.

Too bad about ladies not liking getting soaked through. Trip was supposed to take 1.5 hours but close to 2.5 given the bad choppy conditions. EVERYONE soaked to the skin after first 20 minutes, including people at back of boat! Conditions at the front of the boat were so bad with the slamming down after each big wave that the guys at the front are trying to devise ways in which we may get out of this trip without being a centimeter shorter at the end. A couple of times I have glared to the very apologetic looking captain after a big smash and have signaled him to slow down, NOW, which he has done.

We get to the first snorkeling place. By the way, all 3 places are very average, some nice small bits of coral and a fair few clams and the like, but quite devoid of any really interesting fish life, nothing larger than 25 cm. I've snorkeled in a LOT of places and yeah, average at best.
We brought our own gear, except fins for my wife. There's no fins to use. "No one gives fins in Thailand" Whaaaat? "it destroys the coral, and we are not even allowed to use them in the next snorkeling place" The guide gives me his fins to use at this site, which I appreciate, but I sense a few other people are a bit pissed off. Every other snorkeling trip I have ever taken has provided fins, they increase your ability in the water, and if anything I would say they stop people thrashing about and breaking coral. Hitting the coral with a fin would do far less damage to coral than with a foot. The water is FULL of scuba divers who are using fins as we soon see.

Lunch. Shocking. Knowing how little food costs in Thailand makes this even worse. A really really average lunch, and some fruit for after. Only water supplied.

Then we go on to Phangyang Island. Privately owned and FULL of thousands of people on its tiny little beach. ALL here on snorkel tours and scuba trips. The water is just so full of people. I'm glad it's calm here, at east. Food and drink are a huge price so we don't even bother. Coral and fishlife as previously described.

At the end of this we head back. We have to gather at the pier for 15 minutes so our guide can call the boat in, it is not allowed to moor due to high prices and the crushing amounts of traffic. Thankfully the sea has settled somewhat but there are still some huge smashes for the guys at the front of the boat. A few people get a Coke, but there's not enough for everyone, so they only get water.

We get back to find the trips on the really nice new looking speedboats which we figured were some luxury item are the same price as what we've paid. How they must laugh.

The next day I am in excruciating back pain, I can hardly get out of bed and walking about like a 80 year old (sorry to all the fit 80 year olds out there)

Do I have to sum this up? If I do, you haven't read it. Stay away from this outfit, they are just waiting for their first fatality.

4  Thank Napierlocal
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I can only agree with all the bad reviews. Unfortunately i didn't check TA before i went on this trip. My biggest mistake. It was a day out and honestly our kids 9,13 and 16 actually thought it was quit fun. But man the shack they took us to and served something they called breakfast and be warned do not use the lavatories it was a sick for a day experience. Being born and raised on the west coast of Norway i'm pretty used to sea. Not a lot of our fellow passengers probably wasn't and taking them out in speed boats probably speeding for 80kmh or so with very rough sea didn't look to safe if you ask me.I could go in details of this trip but i want bother. Just don't spend money on it company, it's horrible snorkeling, it awful lunch and terrible sightseeing. Don't spend money your money on this company i rather hang around the pool for an extra day.

2  Thank Harald S
Reviewed April 21, 2013

On april 21 th 2013, we went snorkeling with seahawk speedboat at Ko Thao.The first place where they stopped was fine.But the second place is the worst experience we made of snorkeling: dead corral, old, tire,mattress. We thought it was a lesson of protecting the environment. As it was not the case, it was awful.
The lunch was served in a restaurant smelling petrol and of no interest at all.
The crew was nice but the guide,absolutely incompetent.
Marie and Ghislain, Montreal

1  Thank Pepin_marie
Reviewed April 20, 2013

One of the worst day snorkelling tour operators we have ever been with in our 6 trips to Thailand, started with an extra 20 min wait for 3 late tourists at the dingy office, sachet coffee with bread then back into bus for quick trip to pier. Photo taken as you walked down pier to be put on a crappy little plate. Even as boarding the boat you could smell fuel & engine fumes so thought wonder how long this boat will run for. Ride out to Koh Tao was real rough and took an extra 25 mins, those that sat in the rear seat were soaking wet from the spray within 20 mins and those along the sides seats fared little better, those at the front of the boat did'nt get wet but got hammered by the ride before a short snorkelling break, (flippers would have been a nice addition).
Back into boat to trip to lunch spot at local pier (have had better) at the pier had to climb across 3 boats to get back onto ours then of to Koa Nangyuan for couple hours of snorkelling again, nice island with no rubbish for a change. Once again climb across 3 boats to board again & back into the boat for the 1.5 hour journey home sniffing fumes all the way, captain even let one of the passengers drive the boat for a while which we did not agree with. At the pier after viewing the plates you were crammed back into buses for trip back to the resort and thank god you survived the day.
Overall one of the worst operators we have come across and have since notified the tour operators that we booked the trip with, there are much more professional boat operators that do these trips