“Incredible! Like Snorkeling in an Aquarium!”
Review of Tours Koh Samui

and up
Half-Day Island Hopping and Snorkeling to Koh Taen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tours Koh Samui is a local operator and travel agency with administrative office in Chaweng and service center at Choengmon Beach Ko Samui and over 16 years of experience. We specialize in organizing tours and excursions on and around Ko Samui, such as our most popular excursion, Sea Safari to the Ang Thong National Marine Park featuring snorkeling and kayaking, and sightseeing.We also offer Ko Samui based snorkeling trip to Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan abroad comfortable high speed boats or 4X4 Island Jungle tours on Ko Samui. We specialize in arranging private, tailor-made tours and boat charters to suit our clients’ wishes.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Incredible! Like Snorkeling in an Aquarium!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Koh Tao & Koh Nangyuan Tour: we booked this tour online through Tours Koh Samui's website only a couple days in advance but it went off without a hitch. There was a couple different options on their website. We chose the speed boat trip including the shopping street because it was less expensive than the speed boat option without shopping (operated by a contractor) and because it was faster than the catamaran option. We paid our deposit with paypal, and quickly received the confirmation email.

The shuttle was waiting for us bright and early at 6:50 AM. Our hotel was located at the southwest corner of Koh Samui and the tour left from the north coast, so with stops for other guests it took us a full hour to reach the boats. Once we were there they checked us in and then there was tea, instant coffee, and toast with jelly. They also had motion sickness pills if you needed them. It seemed like several different tours were all assembling there so we probably had to wait 30-40 minutes for everyone to arrive and them it get everything together.

We were assigned a speed boat and there were probably 25 of us on the tour. The speed boat was truly just a large speed boat. Imagine a speed boat you'd take out on the lake, just a lot longer in the back. There was enough room for us all to sit comfortably, but that was all there was room for, just sitting. The drive to Koh Nangyuan took an hour and a half but the waters weren't especially bumpy so most people slept (at least those who can sleep sitting up).

We arrived at Koh Nangyuan and it was gorgeous! White sandy beach connecting two little islands with wood plank bridges and little bungalows. The tour guide gave us instructions but she seemed a lot more focused on the 4 Germans on the tour, which left the English speakers scratching our heads and trying to figure out what she said. We had an hour and 45 minutes at Koh Nangyuan which was a perfect amount of time. We arrived early enough that we were able to rent 2 chairs and an umbrella for 150 THB (~$4.50), there was also a restaurant and a little gift shop on the island.

The park had something they called a Japanese garden and the snorkeling was INCREDIBLE! The water was so clear, like glass, and as you swam out over the coral there were fish everywhere! It was awesome :-) . We saw all kinds of fish, and even giant schools of fish would go swimming past. The snorkels they provided worked great, and the water was salty enough we had no problem staying afloat even without a life vest.

We got a late start from Koh Nangyuan because some of the English speakers (not surprisingly) had misunderstood the departure time. Our tour guide seemed a but cranky after that point. From Koh Nangyuan we sailed 5 minutes over to the beach side restaurant at Koh Tao. We had a set menu, but the food was tasty and they happily refilled the serving dishes anytime they got low and had plenty of cold water. Apparently this was also our opportunity for the shopping street, though I didn't figure it out until we returned to Koh Samui without stopping anywhere else. Our tour guide did mention that you could walk to the town of Koh Tao from the restaurant, but I didn't see anyone take her up on the offer.

From the restaurant we sailed just down the coast and then parked the boat to jump off and snorkel the coral reef. We were the only boat parked there, so we had the whole reef to ourselves. Again the snorkeling was AWESOME! Super clear water, and a deeper spot than the Japanese garden so you could dive down to really get a look at the fish swimming amongst the coral. My husband even saw a really, cool angelfish. We only spent about 40 minutes here which seemed a bit rushed (maybe because we were behind schedule from Koh Nangyuan?), but after that it was back in the boat for the hour and a half trip back to Koh Samui. The taxi vans were waiting for us, so we went straight to the car for the hour trip back to the hotel.

Overall I didn't think the tour guide was that helpful and the second half of the tour felt a bit rushed, but the snorkeling was so phenomenal that overall the tour was still fantastic. After having been previously to Ang Thong Marine Park, I would say don't waste your time snorkeling there but go straight to Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan, you won't regret it!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Jlp693

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great couple of days to Ko Tao and Angthong”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had enjoyed our two day on-board Tours Koh Samui speed boats. Guides where are funny and assist as possible to make our days enjoyable. On the tour to the park first stop was for snorkeling which was better than I expected but not as good as Koh Tao. It was impressive traveling by speed boat as we got to most places ahead of rush hour of big operator to the marine park. We had good Thai lunch at Palyai fisherman's village. In the afternoon the wind picked up so the ride was bumpy but we felt safe at all times.

Koh Tao and Nungyan snorkelling was great. Visit to Koh Nungyan in the morning was a plus as the island seams to get busier as we left for lunch. After lunch we visit the walking street, interesting walking street similar to the one on Friday at Fisherman Village. We were traveling with another family who had done the tour few years back and they were impressed by better organization / program and the lunch which was good in compression to their last trip to Ko Tao.

We had a great two day out and highly recommend this company to every visitor.

2 Thank JessicaB2007
Dallas, Texas
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“WARNING: Not What We Signed Up For”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

KOH TAO & NANGYUAN SNORKEL TOUR:
Let me begin by saying I haven't ever given a lower-than-average rating. Also, let me say that I DID enjoy the trip. HOWEVER, I shopped around a LOT, and went with Tours Koh Samui because of their tripadvisor ratings and their specific itinerary. They did NOT deliver the tour we signed up for. Here's where they came short:

1) I read, and reconfirmed over telephone before booking, that we would go to Nangyuan in the morning because I had heard how it was a tourist trap and especially crowded in the afternoon. Well, before we set out on the journey, our barely-speak-English guys explained that we'd have 3 stops of the day: 1 at Tao, then Nangyuan, then lunch, then another at Tao. This is different than the online description. Then on the tour, we arrived at the Northern tip of Tao, started to set anchor, then another boat showed up and we never set anchor and no explanation was given for changing locations. When I asked later, they said that it was too rough to safely snorkel there. It certainly didn't seem rough to us (or the other tour boat docking there). Almost seemed like they pulled in that area to make it look like the "tried". So we went on to the back side of Nangyuan, for 1.5 hours of snorkeling.

2) We then left for a decent lunch at Tao (5 minutes from our Nangyuan stop), but they gave us almost 1.5-2 hours there, with no snorkeling available. On this SNORKELING trip, we couldn't figure out why we weren't SNORKELING! Frustrating to travel that far to snorkel so little. At lunch, I asked one of the guides where we had been and where we were going. He showed me a beach at Tao. I was excited!

3) After lunch, we didn't go to the Tao site, but right back to Nangyuan to the OTHER side. Cost 100 Baht, sitting and waiting to give our ticket, and we only got 1 hour there. Very disappointing but we made the best of it. The Coral was very ruined there and it took some hunting to find a good place to explore.

4) After that, at 2:30, we headed back to Samui, (earlier than advertised) never having made it to Tao, and deviating a hundred times from the plan we paid for. So we left at 7:45 and returned at 4:30 (after the boat broke down twice), and only got 2.5 hours of snorkeling at the SAME PLACE TWICE.

5) The tour I signed up for and even my email confirmation receipt says "with walking street tour." This wasn't discussed by our tour guide, and wasn't done. I was actually okay with it since I'd had my fill of Thailand shopping, but it was another deviation from the promised tour.

What I've learned is: 100 Degrees East, though their prices are TWICE that of everyone else's, would have been worth it. They book up quickly, so book in advance. I also came to see that whatever you from all the travel agencies: they're all going to lump you together to a few boats that run essentially the same trip, whether or not it's exactly what you agreed upon on your booking. Little you can do about it once you're on the boat, especially if it's your last full day on the island so you can't have a redo the next day. What's worse, there was no way to communicate to the guides because their English was too broken.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2.5 hours of snorkeling that we had, but would have really appreciated getting the tour I paid for. I feel cheated. I would NOT recommend booking a trip with Tours Koh Samui, as they do not deliver what they promise.

Either go with 100 Degrees East, or sign up with the lowest possible quote you get from any company and decide make the best of whatever sort of trip you wind up on!

2 Thank isabel_obu
samui-holiday, Manager at Tours Koh Samui, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback on your snorkeling trip to Koh Tao and Nungyuan. We are happy to read that you DID enjoy the trip. Your main complain about the trip is that we visit Koh Nung Yuan in the afternoon and not in the morning.

We do advised on the tour information that “Program is subject to change depending on weather and sea conditions: By visiting Koh Nungyuan in the morning, we attempt to avoid large group of visitors that regularly visit the island in the afternoon. The tour program will be changed around in case of high tide in the morning at Koh Nungyuan”.

The week that you went on the tour was the Thai New Year known as Sunkran. During this Thai holiday thousands of Thai families visit Koh Nungyuan in the morning as they arrive from the mainland and often cannot swim well so they visit Koh Nungyan before lunch. Therefore we had adjust the schedule in attempt to avoid large group of visitors.

We believe in adjusting the tour schedule after taking into account sea condition, snorkelling sites condition, how busy each destination is in an effort to provide outstanding experience to our guests. I am sorry if this attempt had disappoint you instead of you giving your trust to our crew to do their best to the deliver the best experience possible.

It is look like you do not fully understand that Koh Tao is just 5 minute speed boat ride from Koh Nungyuan as you had consider that site other side of Koh Nung Yuan.

Moreover your complaint are conflicting:
You mention that you have been very disappointment that you only got to spent 1 hours at Koh Nung Yuan. In the same paragraph you say the visit was not that great due to the queue for the ticket and the quality of the coral!
You mention that the visit Mea Haad walking street was not done. In the same time you explained that “I was actually okay with it since I'd had my fill of Thailand shopping” (there is much more to do then just shopping at the walking street).
We do offer guest the option to relax after lunch or visit Mea Haad walking street. From your review it look like you did not understand this option was given by the tour guide.

I suspect that your advice to other visitors (based on” shopping around a LOT” as you explain that you only went with us to Koh Tao) was arrived after few drinks with 100 Degrees East staff as this is a diving company that also offer snorkeler to join the trip. We are in the opinion that trying to mix divers and snorkelers on the same boat / tour most of the time does not work well for the snorkelers as the sites visit and lunch arrangements is focused on divers!

Your conclusion that “I also came to see that whatever you from all the travel agencies: they're all going to lump you together to a few boats that run essentially the same trip“ is ridicules, is misleading, and questioning the value Trip Advisor reviewers provides. After all anyone can look at Koh Tao snorkelling tour traveller reviews of Lompryah, Seahawk or Grand Sea Discovery companies to see the quality provided with their about 50%+ poor reviews that not all snorkelling tours to Koh Tao are the same!

I am sorry you felt chatted “I thoroughly enjoyed the 2.5 hours of snorkeling that we had, but would have really appreciated getting the tour I paid for.” But what we promised and was delivered about 2.5 hours of snorkeling is pretty much the same you will get with paying more than twice for 100 Degrees East tour. I do agree that on the Koh Tao trip you spent a lot of time in transit due to the remote location of Koh Tao about 65km from Samui. This the reason we now the only company on Samui to offer alternative semi-private half a day snorkeling tours to Koh Taen and Koh Mudsum.

Best Regards,
Ron
Ko Samui, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful snorkeling trips”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We went on snorkeling trip to Koh Tao with visit to Mea Haad and must say it was a great experience. The speedboat used was new and modern with about 30 guests onboard. Visit Koh Nung Yuan in the morning was great as we notice upon departing that the small island was getting very busy by the moment with every size of boat getting to the island. Snorkeling from the island was great and the view point reachable with a bit of effort amazing.

Visit Mea Haad was very interesting full of boutique shops and interesting food vendors.

Two days later we joint the Marine Park tour with Tours Koh Samui. They depart from the same pier but this time we went on a smaller boat with about 16 people. The snorkeling at the first stop was OK but ot as good as our tri t Koh Tao. Sight-seeing the islands including the emerald lake was truly amazing. After lunch we visit secluded natural beach and enjoy the kayaking to the rock thy name James Bond Island.

Both tour where great with nice team from reservation to guiding. Highly recommend this company that operates in good standard for Thailand!

1 Thank Patty_Harp
Hong Kong, China
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Koh Taen”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We have just returned from Koh Samui where we decided to go on a half day semi private tour to Koh Taen with Tours Koh Samui. The booking was very easy and professional and the guide was knowledgable . There were only 4 of us all together who were taken over to the island's snorkelling site at the beginning of the day. The great thing about this particular tour is that using a speed boat meant that we got to the reef much earlier than any other tours and so had the reef to ourselves. We saw lots of different types of fish and a ray. We then went to the island for lunch which was nice and then off to another island for swimming off the beach. Lovely day and back in the pool by 2-3pm.

Visited March 2014