“Comfortable and quiet, good quality with stunning views”

Q Signature Samui Beach Resort
Ranked #97 of 184 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I stayed in this hotel as a timeshare exchange, and despite earlier very negative reports on TripAdvisor, I can't agree with most of the complaints aired previously. This resort has a great location, set up the hill overlooking Choeng Mon beach with glorious views. Although the resort is not right on the shore, it is only a short 5 min walk down the hill to the beautiful safe beach, where there is a selection of restaurants and beach masseurs, and lots of beach activities available. Likewise it is easy to walk down to the Choeng Mon Village, with more very good economical restaurants. The resort has a restaurant and bar, which are OK as well, but more pricey than the local eating places. It's a 15 minute drive into Chaweng beach and the resort offers a free shuttle, but its timetable is very limited. Much better to walk down to the Choeng Mon village and hail a Songthaeuw (little bus) which are cheaper than taxis and run frequently. When I was there the resort was doing extensive maintenance of the pool (decking was being replaced) and many apartments were being updated. Staff were very friendly and helpful, but rooms are only serviced every second day, however, that was often enough for me. Our room was very clean. Bottled water was freely available, but at times needed to be requested. I will most definitely stay there again as the location beats bustling Chaweng beach hands down in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Asiaphile10

Reviewed April 24, 2010

Location great for a quiet time. Awesome views from the rooms too. Staff speak very little english. Rooms nice but serviced only M-W-F. This means we used the same towels Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon morning for 2 x showers daily (at least). No free internet and all meals very expensive. A/C works but not too well. Pool nice if you don't mind green water. Didn't bother me at all. Pool surrounds not safe for children as decking screws/nails are not secured. Decking timber perished. Access road sealed but has many potholes.
It was a very nice resort some 7 years ago but is now showing it's age all over. Great location and views...with some repairs done all round, it will come back to life very nicely.
Charlie Chaplin's Restaurant down the road is the best around.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LouTassie
Reviewed April 7, 2010

My brother and I stayed here for 5 nights and it was the worst resort I have stayed at. It was more expensive than we wanted but as we booked last minute we were fine with that, also believing that it was 5 star made up for it, or so we thought... We had arranged an early check in of 1pm (usually 2pm) but our room did not become available until 3:30pm after I got really annoyed. Although they kept apologising, no one actually did anything to find out why it wasn't ready. We then had to walk up the steepest hill with our luggage as there was no available golf carts. I could deal with that as I just wanted to get to the room, freshen up and lie down. Well - ha - what a joke. There were no sheets on the bed! We did not receive them until 9pm that night and then had to make the bed ourselves. Next night we brought back dinner and had to wait a further 1hr 30mins for cutlery and bowls to arrive, after having phoned 3 times. And our stay just got worse. Rooms were never cleaned, ants everywhere, rubbish not emptied and the list goes on. I was also very surprised that the staff had very (very) limited english. I couldn't believe that such a highly rated (obviously self rated!) hotel could be so bad. The only great thing about it was the view. Absolutely amazing, but unfortunately this didn't make up for the lack of service. I am normally very easy going when it comes to places to stay. My only expectation is a clean bed and shower - but this place was crazy.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank travellergan
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Resort Issues:-
Lower Pool Area:-

- Not enough parasols for the guest sun loungers
- Not enough parasols for the guest lunch tables
- Parasols broken mechanically
- Parasols too small
- Parasols canvas material torn and falling apart

Sun lounger cushions
- Torn
- Dirty
- Dried up with sharp plastic edges

Pool Decking
- Uneven, loose boards
- Exposed rusty screws and nails
- Loose rusty screws and nails

Food – Pool Bar
- Rock hard pita bread like a hard biscuit consistency
- Mono Sodium Glutamate excessive use of – No warning given for allergy sufferers
- Cheap and nasty burgers – Over priced
- Cocktails that tasted like dishwater

Beach Area below
- No beach, rocks instead
- No loungers (most days), no bar, no staff

- Pool fountain disused, badly maintained stagnant dirty water – Mosquito farm
- Lower beach fountain disused, not maintained stagnant dirty water – Mosquito farm

Guest Pool Towel Policy
- Limited to 1 towel per guest, no matter how small the towel or how tall / big the guest!

Cleaning infrequent – Officially Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- However, in practice bed linen was not changed just turned over!
- Pillow cases blood soaked when we first arrived in the new room!

Daily water delivery non-existent had to chase almost daily

Constant shortage and quota limitation system on rolls of toilet paper!

Air conditioning performance low, had to change and clean filter myself in shower, hotel engineer unable to find problem with air conditioning

Unclean bathroom
- Shower head Legionnaires’ Disease breeding ground
- Floor unsanitary
- Non-existent shower door causing bathroom to flood if showering

Net curtains filthy

No drawer provided to put ones smalls except for decorative drawer in the Living Room!

7 Clothes hangers between 2 people for 2 weeks, request for more hangers (10 required was stated) resulted in delivery of 3 hangers

Living room absolutely disgusting, all cushions filthy and dirty, all turned over, extra cushions brought in to cover up stains on the cushions!

Hotel Generally:-

Staff unhelpful, unfriendly, uncaring.

Poor language skills throughout

General Manager utterly useless and ineffective, set a great example for others – Full of excuses, no solutions

Acting Duty Manager even more useless than General Manager – Did not resolve a single complaint from 4 different couples during our stay

Tour arrangement hut useless because the staff knew nothing of the tours, could not communicate with guests in any common language

All tour pamphlets rendered useless with sticker advising staff to dial 2 on the phone to arrange a tour with said staff mentioned above – We booked all tours direct as a result.

Constant tours of potential Club Absolute customers by salesmen / women with random members of public around sun bathing area – My partner felt quite uneasy at constantly being photographed by complete strangers trying to capture pictures of their new investment

Potential Club Absolute customers kept well clear of being able to see rusty nails and screws exposed in the pool decking

Hotel provided internet access hut was an additional paid for service – A 5 star resort charging per minute for Internet Access

Hotel Wi-Fi also paid for but no flat fee available, only accessible via access card – Useless for mobile devices!

Additional Hotel Amenities:-

Abandoned upper pool area – no staff, no bar, no drinks, no food
Abandoned upper pool bar – no staff, no bar, no drinks, no food

Abandoned upper restaurant
- Roof gardens infested with stagnant water pools breeding mosquitoes
- Water grate blocked solid with debris
- Happy Hour signs in bushes for the benefit of the insects?
- Abandoned cooking facilities infested with dirt and insects meters from living accommodation

General Comments:-
Overall general malaise of the location – Every surface seemed devoid of cleanliness, maintenance, care

I find it almost impossible to describe the utter disappointment and embarrassment I felt when we arrived at what I had described was a 5 star resort. Everything was booked months in advance, however:-

On airport arrival booked pickup not present – Had to be telephoned for

Room not ready on arrival, had to insist and angrily demand alternative accommodation while room was prepared – 3 hour wait – then discovered blood covered pillow cases!

General Manager uninterested in his hotel, claimed he had no money, no authority to solve problems, “You can beat me up or sue me but it will make no difference” – 24/03/2010 Approximately 14:30

Duty Manager unable to resolve simplest of issues – completely uninterested, useless individual

4  Thank UKExplorer99
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We were promised luxury, we got decidedly tatty. The rooms are dirty, as there do not appear to be enough cleaners to do the job. The drinking water you are promised does not arrive so you have to buy, and carry, it from the shop (not on- site). The swimming pool is beautiful but the decking is dried out, badly rotted and splintered, rusty nail- heads stand proud of the woodwork, the parasols are ripped, the cushions on the sunbeds are torn, dirty, and falling apart. If you like palm tree- lined beaches, dream on. This resort does not have a beach, to access the sea you have to climb over large, jagged, sharp, slippery rocks. We enjoyed the food from the restaurant, (even if it was a bit expensive).
We were going to take friends but they had to cancel. We are so pleased as we had convinced them they were going to a top notch resort - it's not!
Koh Samui itself is lovely. There are beatiful beaches, magic eating places, and as much night life as you want, however, this resort let's it down badly. We won't be returning and will actively dissuade friends from going.

Reviewed March 18, 2010

First things first- this is my first review so I do apologise if I ramble..

I have tavelled to Thailand before by myself and I am usually pretty lucky when it comes to booking good hotels and hostels. I guess my luck ran out when I booked Q Signature. Such a let down, I really wanted to treat myself to two nights in a nice 5 star resort after staying in beach bungalows but this place is probably no more than 3 stars (on a good day)- seriously, I don't understand how they can advertise themselves as being 5 star?! I feel completely cheated by Q Signature.
The hotel is literally falling down in places, unless you are brave only one of the pools is suitable for swimming- the 'bar pool' which closes at 6pm is kept quite clean but the 'lotus pool' is so dirty and green that you can't even see the bottom, hardly fit for dogs let alone people staying in a 5 star resort. On my last day there I sliced my foot open quite badly on one of the many nails protuding from the pool decking. I almost laughed when the bell boy (bless him!) came to me with a first aid kit and tried in vain to clean my cut with pure alcohol!! I ended up taking over the situation and cleaning the cut with betadine I found in the bottom of the kit. It was actually quite comical :)

Beds are very average, old stained linen and lumpy old pillows but quite a comfortable mattress. The room I stayed in (614) was at the back of the resort up a very steep hill, not much lighting on the paths and quite hard to find in the dark, it was lovely and clean though and the shower had amazing pressure.

The service was just o.k. from front of house staff but the groundsmen, bell boys and housekeeping staff were all so friendly and polite the whole time.

Breakfast was good, I didn't eat any other meals in the restaurant because I felt the prices of meals and drinks were incredibly exorbitant (more than double the price of all other hotels I have stayed in on this trip).

If you do have the misfortune of staying here, there are some amazing little authentic Thai restaurants out on the main road which not surprisingly seemed to be full of the resort's guests every night.

One last thing- the beach that this hotel is located on is not Bo Phut beach (which is a gorgeous little beach, one of the main reasons I booked to stay here) it is Choeng Mon beach which is very polluted and basically just a strip of Thai Massage tables and generic Thai restaurants. Not good for swimming.

Apologies again for the rambling!! Hope this review is helpful.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2010

A short introduction;
I first came here back in 2006 when it was the Samui Peninsula, I had the best time, we were booked into an average room and got upgraded to the presidential suite which was amazing, the service was great, everything was pristine, it was my partner's birthday and they surprised us with a delicious cake. I have been back every year since and while the resort has been looking more and more tired i have always thought it is a beautiful resort with amazing gardens and a lot going for it.

This year we booked a pool villa for three nights, the rate was pretty good -6000thb, unfortunately for the fist time i really got to see just how run down the place was getting. Our villa was massive, living area, kitchen, huge bathroom outdoor jacuzzi and shower and a wonderful pool area. The first thing we noticed was the decking aaround the pool, it was just plain dangerous, there were nails sticking out and boards that were free and would spring up at you, marks all over the building, the furniture was broken and had been poorly repaired if at all, the umbrella and cushions for the chairs and loungers were all broken down and sad looking, there was lots of rust below the shower faucets inside. The mini bar was even sad, where every other stay we had had they had a selection of items now there was no alcohol, chocolate, nuts or chips, just water and soda. Even the toiletries has been changed, while before they seemed slightly luxurious, now the were just very basic. You had to sign in to get towels for the pool every day at the main pool, as we were staying in a pool villa I assumed they would be delivered fresh every morning as in the past they had been.

On the plus side I thought cleaning of the room was still great, they came in put all our stuff in closets and went beyond what they needed to do, the pool was cleaned every morning and they even had a turn down service to put flowers on our bed and pull the blinds. The breakfast was as good as it ever has been and there are no complaints there.

To summarise I am sadly disappointed that a place that has held so many happy memories for me no longer has the capacity to create further happy memories, all in all I found it a little depressing.