“Appalling experience.”

Ranked #40 of 447 Restaurants in Bophut
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dining on the Rocks presents innovative food concepts, great service and of course that famous view and atmosphere. The brilliant architecture is ten terraced decks of weathered teak and bamboo.
“Appalling experience.”
Reviewed November 14, 2010

First off, if you're planning to go there you must schedule the trip 1 hour before the sun sets. It takes 30+ minutes to get there from Chaweng. The best thing about the place is to experience the sunset with their great view of the beach. Otherwise, the food is expensive for nothing. The dishes were too small I can barely see it on the plate with their poor lighting, they had to bring me a torch to read the menu! The food does not even have a taste. I ordered the greek salad (which out of nowhere has melon in it. I don't recall the greek salad with melon anywhere in the world). For my main dish, I ordered the fish and chips. It was 3 pieces of oil-filled fish (deep fried) and 4 pieces of french fries. It was a complete waste of an evening in Samui. I left there still hungry, I went back to the hotel to order food. I was completely unhappy with their food. I went there through recommendations from a friend. I also discovered that I should never listen to that friend again. I didn't even bother wasting more money for dessert. It was too expensive for a restaurant in Thailand. Nevertheless the ambience was great and the waiters were very welcoming and very attentive. Either chef improves his cooking skills or they should change their menu.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ireland
“Great for atmosphere and romance but not the food”
Reviewed November 4, 2010

First class location for a meal very unique and romantic experience however the food here is high class fine dining and not for every person. For me the food was too much of an exhibit than a meal sorry. Excellent presentation but no substance. Still felt hungry after a five course meal. Wine extremely expensive. This place would thrive if the food menu was also to cater for a larger audience.

Manchester
“Spectacular setting....but bring your credit card”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The restaurant and experience created a memorable night out for us. But the prices (guiven this is Thailand) were ridiculous. You pay less for a michelin starred restaurant in London. However, the setting and experince did make up for it. We arrived and were are transported to the bar and restaurant by a golf buggy which was cool. We watched the sunset with a cocktail and then sat down to eat as darkness descended. The service was impecable. 9 different courses were really good and presentation was superb but the one with sea flavoured broth was a bit too odd.

London
“The most perfect setting for a wedding dinner”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I think someone used the word "Speechless" as the title of their review. This describes the reaction you have to the place perfectly. It really is the most beautiful restaurant I have ever been to.

After coming here for dinner two years ago, we knew we had to have out wedding here - or at least the reception part of it. We brought 26 people from all over the world to Dining on the Rocks for our wedding dinner. Words can't really describe how breathtaking the place is - and not only the view. The staff and service here are unlike anything else I've experienced elsewhere. I think we had one server for two people.

The food was incredible. It was all 'deconstructed' cuisine, so although nothing looked like you would expect, it tasted just like it - and it tasted good. Everything on the menu was perfect - better than anything I've had at the best restaurants in London (although you do have to ask yourself if it's the service and setting influencing your opinion!).

PK (the food & beverage manager I think) helped us arrange everything in advance by email. We just had to turn up! The table settings were more beautiful than expected. PK himself preempted every desire or request. He was an absolute legend. I wish I was as good at my job as he is at his!

The drinks served before and after dinner were brilliant - some of the best martinis and margaritas I've ever had. Everything we had on the night - food and drink - was taken from their regular menu.

The restaurant, the staff, the setting and the food really make this one of the leading restaurants on the planet. I'll be back next time I'm on Koh Samui and I recommend it to anyone who visits. Other restaurants market themselves well on the island but this is the only one which comes anywhere close to reaching global top ten.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Ambivalent Experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I visited this restaurant with my wife in August and left with mixed feelings about it. The arrival at the hotel reception and trip to the restaurant by golf buggy was very exciting and scenic. We arrived just as the sun was setting and it was beautiful. I think we were sitting on the lower most tier which was small and intimate with only 4 tables. The views are spectacular, as many people have mentioned but I would definitely go before it gets dark or you won't appreciate just how nice the setting is. I had heard a lot about this restaurant before I arrived, and maybe my expectations were a little too high but apart from the view and the setting it was a bit of a disappointment. The selection on the menu was a bit limited in my opinion, and the food really wasn't all that good. The main course was quite bland and I really didn't like my dessert at all. I had much nicer meals for a fraction of the price on Samui. I am not someone to complaint about the price of meals as I don't mind paying for good food but the bill was much more than I thought the meal was worth, compared the prices of other good restaurants on the island. One other small complaint is that it was dark in the restaurant. There are small lanterns on the tables but I struggled to see what I was eating. Also, darkness and lots of small steps everywhere are not a good combination as I would out on route to the toilet. Overall, I'm glad I went just to say that I have been and because of the wonderful setting, but although the food was presented wonderfully it didn't taste very good, nor was it good value.