“Wonderful location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining on the Rocks
Ranked #43 of 439 Restaurants in Bophut
Cuisines: International, European, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Dining on the Rocks presents innovative food concepts, great service and of course that famous view and atmosphere. The brilliant architecture is ten terraced decks of weathered teak and bamboo.
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful romantic dining spot, and the food is good, beautifully presented, but I think, a little over fussy, and a high price, for what you get. The service is excellent, but service has been excellent in all the restaurants I have been in so far.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank LindaHodgson22

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bahrain
“Perfection Personified”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I love Six Senses (We stayed at their resort in the Maldives for our honeymoon), so we decided to try Dining on the Rocks for our first anniversary dinner expecting something very special and that is exactly what we got.

Dining on the rocks at Six Senses Samui is perfection personified. The setting, the location, the ambience, the service are all to die for. Beautiful views of the Gulf of Thailand, stunning lighting, and personalized service. The food, well that's just something else. If you're looking to have the best food that you will probably ever have, this is the place to go. Ever seen masterchef on TV, well the chefs at Dining on the Rocks probably taught the judges in masterchef, the food was that perfect.

Perfection comes with a hefty price tag, oh but it is so worth it. If we ever get a chance to, we will definitely go there again. Thank you for an unforgettable experience.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Faraan
Berlin, Germany
“Forget all other reviews and bad comments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I don't know what some people on this review list have experienced and I almost think that Trip Advisor should have a system to rate the reviewers or license them in some way. Forget about any of the bad comments you might read below, because this was simply one of the best meals I enjoyed in my life! I am a raw food chef myself, and have tried many beautiful places, including Mistral in Stockholm, Kajutsu (Michelin Star) in New York, Reinstoff (2 Michelin Star) in Berlin, and others. Last night, me and my friend ordered the Pure menu, and I have to say that the chefs here REALLY show you what you can do with vegetables, simply amazing! The service was wonderful, extremely nice people, fulfilling you every wish. OF COURSE, they don't speak perfect English, you are on an island in Thailand, what do you expect??? But they are wonderful, lovely, and try their very best to explain as much as they can, and you can always ask to see the chef as well, which we did! The lighting is dim, of course, if you would put beams on, you wouldn't have the athmosphere, dining under the stars, seeing the lights glitter from Koh Samui which is simply magic! And, the staff is so nice, if the lamp on the table which lit our plates perfectly well, wouldn't be enough, just ask and they would bring you a second one ;-)
It was all perfect from the beginning: We asked if we could exchange two of the courses of a 10 course meal and there wasn't even the slightest problem, no discussion or let me check again with the kitchen, a simple "of course sir, that's no problem at all"
We were then confirmed again our orders with the replacement of the courses perfectly well and then the theater started. An amuse bouche upfront (ok, here is my only "criticism" , cause it was a chicken amuse bouch for a vegetarian menu... that should not happen! we are both veggie lovers and eat occasional fish or meat, so it wasn't a big problem but they should know that if someone orders a vegetarian menu, they might as well be vegetarians ;-) Anyways, here again, if we wouldn't have wanted that surprise, it would have been NO problem to tell the waitress if they can exchange it to a vegetarian amuse bouche, and I am VERY sure, they would have done that immediately!! So again, no problem here :-)
All the following courses were just amazing, perfectly well timed and executed to perfection. Innovative vegetarian cuisine that exceeds all standards and expectations. My personal highlights were the apple soup and campfire root vegetables. The Pomelo CO2 was the only thing I was unsure about, since it just tasted like Pomelo with salt. I have to admit though I missed on asking about that, i.e. I have a feeling something might have happened with the dish, i.e. the molecular effect might have gone lost on the way to our table or something, but I didn't ask the waitress about that and accepted the dish as it was, a very minor thing!
Overall, this was an amazing meal, perfect service, wonderful atmosphere and I will certainly come back to try their other menus and can highly recommend it to anybody who would like to enjoy serious well prepared food in a beautiful ambience. And remember, if something is not the way you wish, just ask them, they are nice :-)

• Visited October 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“A real treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stunning setting and amazing food, "Dining of the Rocks" at the Six Senses Resort has it all. Be prepared to fork out some extra dollars/baht for the experience, but if you love great food, romantic ambiance, silver service and something 'different', then you'll live this place. It's off the beaten track, difficult to find if you don't know the area, but the taxi drivers will find it.
Arriving at the hotel's reception area we were immediately whisked away in a whisper-quiet golf cart through the resort (which is beautiful) down to the restaurant. Shown to our table, it's easy to see where the restaurant gets its name. We just wish we'd got there earlier as it is the perfect spot to watch the beautiful sunsets for which Koh Samui is famous. Our party of 5 – 4 adults & 1 child – loved every mouthful (even a small kids' menu which was impressive!) and as one of the group was celebrating a milestone birthday, it was a special occasion from start to finish.
Koh Samui is turning into a real foodie paradise, lots of highly qualified international chefs are setting up shop on the island, and many of the local chefs are benefitting from it too.
in Samui, iuf you are looking for something out-of-the-ordinary and certainly 5 star +, Dining on the Rocks is the place. A bit more pricey than some similar places in Bangkok, cheaper than others, but definitely worth the effort.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Delicious food made all the better by the fantastic location. Had two meals here during our stay on Samui - the first being the best meal of our holiday. We were seated in the downstairs area, not under the stars and whilst at first we were disappointed that we had not gotten our first choice of location, we had been given a huge table with huge comfy seats and loads of cushions, which made a smart meal very relaxed - we ended up staying for 3-4 hours! And, as always in Thailand, impeccable service from the staff. After such a good experience, we made the mistake of trying to relive it a few days later - never the same twice! On this occasion we did get to sit upstairs on the roof, but the atmosphere was almost too quiet, and the tables located closer together than downstairs. Also very dark (the idea being to enjoy the night) but it's also nice to be able to see what you're eating! Overall, would definitely go back but wouldn't get caught up in the hype over the rooftop.

• Visited April 2013