“270 degree views of the Sea, amazing food”

Dining on the Rocks
Ranked #44 of 478 Restaurants in Bophut
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dining on the Rocks presents innovative food concepts, great service and of course that famous view and atmosphere. The brilliant architecture is ten terraced decks of weathered teak and bamboo.
Reviewed July 4, 2013

270 degree views of the Sea, amazing food, couldn't get better. I had a 10 course meal, which costed a bomb(7,000 THB for 2 of us), but one those things you have to do before you die.

Make sure you are there in the resturant @6PM catch the breathtaking views and the sunset!

The best part, the resturant only closes, when the last person leaves!!!

The taxi ride for us to and fro to this resturant costed us about 1500 THB from Lamai. Make sure you budget for the taxi!
But totally worth it!

Juliane P, Head Chef - Simon Volante at Dining on the Rocks, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Hello Vishesh Jayawanth,

Many thanks for your recent comments regarding your visit to Dining on the Rocks.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed the experience and made a point of mentioning the unique atmosphere, views, service and food, which is what makes us stand out.
Our extensive menus allow guests to relax, soak in the surroundings, enjoy the setting and weather permitting the sunsets which are truly breathtaking.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team.

I hope I get the chance to welcome you back soon.

Simon Volante - Head Chef

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had the 7 course tasting/experience menu one evening. We were not staying at the hotel but else where on the island but were keen to try this restaurant because of the reviews!

Clearly this is an amazing setting perched on the rocks overlooking the sea. The welcome is warm and the staff were very attentive. 7 course tasting menu for 2 people and a cheaper bottle of wine came to over £200. The food was very well presented, tasted good but both my wife and I were left a bit "cold" by the experience and after thinking for a day this is why:

The food: The food was good but not great. We have spent less in Michelin starred restaurants and been challenged more. Could not really tell if this was a Pan Asian menu or something more European. Embarrassingly my wife had almost all of the fish dishesin a place in the new forest in the uk last month - it just did not surprise or delight

The environment: when the sun goes down it is dark. I mean dark. You eat with your eyes as well as your mouth (or so they say). They have table lamps but you cannot see your food. It was pretty annoying.

The staff: very nice at the table, looked after us well. But unfortunately they were having a good time in the kitchen laughing and shouting which was what our deck could hear. Not really what you want. Also you had to go past the kitchen to the toilet and you can see them all having a great time and if you are lucking meet one of them having a cigarette out the back as I did.

The place shuts at 10 and they cleared up around us at 21.45.......... :(

None of the above is terrible. The evening was really OK but for the money I think they need try harder and I would not recommend it because it is not value.

1  Thank MandP20NJ17
Juliane P, Head Chef - Simon Volante at Dining on the Rocks, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Kermitcat1,

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at Dining on the Rocks.

I read your comments with great interest and I am sorry that where you were seated appears to have affected your experience.
The cuisine that we offer is best described as modern interpretation, as we take well known classics and break them down to re-present these dishes in a unique and interesting way. There is a strong element of Asian fusion as well but overall the theme appears to be quite eclectic as we aim to offer a variety of choices and influences.
Your remarks have been duly noted and discussed with the team in F&B and I urge you to contact me directly at exec-sous-chef@hideaway-samui.com, to shed light on any other issues that I should be made aware of.

Thank you again for visiting Dining on the Rocks.

Best Regards,

Chef Simon Volante

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We have visited Dining on The Rocks on a number of occasions and our latest visit did not disappoint. Previously, we sampled 'the experience' which was unique and highly recommended. This time we decided to have smaller meal so we chose the five course degustation without the matching wines (we prefer reds only). All courses were beautifully balanced, quality ingredients, executed well. Service was exceptional from all staff with particular mention to the sommelier who took the time to listen to our thoughts and guide our choice accordingly.
We have also used Fining on The Rocks for a large family celebration and they went out of their way to make our evening very special.
We will definitely continue to return.

2  Thank PrincessInTransit

Dear Gourmet_Traveller67,

Thank you very much for your comments and visiting us again at Dining on the Rocks. I am glad you enjoyed our 5 on the rocks menu and I will share this with the team.

Thank you again for visiting Dining on the Rocks and I hope to see you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Chef Simon Volante

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Went to have a late dinner (9pm) and it was a big regret for several reasons:

1) Price: High given the experience, while innovative and creative, the taste was regular
2) Time: Given the late hour, the view was nice, but for sure earlier is better
3) Changes in Menu: Im lactose intolerant, and they performed poorly in adjusting the menu

Pros:

1) The view seemed nice, the place is big and has potential
2) When i stated that i was lactose intolerant, the chef went to sit with us to discuss the set menu and offered adjusting it. Never seen this before, speaks nice for them

Cons:

1) The price is high for the value, went to have dinner at Nahm in bangkok, ranked as the 3rd best restaurant in asia, which was cheaper than this, and way better

2) The adjusments given my lactose intolerance were poor, the best dish according to my girlfriend was changed to me for pomelo with salt, and the dessert was changed by a plate with mango, pineapple and watermelon, the most common fruit. And i payed the full menu price for dishes found in a cheap buffet....

Given all this, the experience was poor and made us regret spending our time and money there. Wouldnt recommend it at all, while not bad, far from the best dinning experience in Koh Samui

Juliane P, Simon Volante: Head Chef at Dining on the Rocks, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Manuelmx,

Thank you for your recent remarks regarding your visit to Dining on the Rocks.
It was a great pleasure meeting both yourself and your companion. I am sorry and surprised to read of your dissapointment regarding your experience here with us at DOR.
As Head Chef, I take the time and effort to assist guests that have specific needs, and I realize that your needs and expectations were not met this time. Although, I seem to recall you seemed perfectly happy with my menu choices for you when we spoke?
However, should you choose to return to DOR, we will make all the adjustments neccessary to achieve the results you desire.
I look forward to hearing from you in the future.
Simon Volante
exec-sous-chef@hideaway-samui.com

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Dining on the Rocks is located within the Six Sense Samui resort and takes full advantage of its inconic venue with approximately five dining platforms jutting out over the water. The chef really has a deft ability to design creative and appetizing tasting menus that really show off what he and is staff are capable of. Don't be turned off by the weird menu items, if you like artful cuisine, you will enjoy just about every dish on their menus. That said, if you have a particular meal in mind, be sure to ask questions since the menu descriptions may not steer you in the right direction (e.g., the vegetarian tasting menu failed to note that the main course of root vegetables was about 1/3 risotto...excellent risotto..but still a significant oversight).

Pros: excellent, creative food; friendly staff

Cons: very expensive (US$120 per person excluding pricey alcohol), slow (2.5 hours for dinner), charged for table water, portions were a bit too big, wine list was provided without notice that each tasting menu would be offered momentarily with its own wine tasting menu as well (almost bought an entire bottle before realizing the latter)

Overall, this place was definitely an experience, but the few slip ups noted above hurt it. This place is supposed to be a premier dining establishment and thus needs to be held to the highest standards.

Tips: As many other reviewers noted, sunset is at least a good chunk of a dining experience, so one should try to come to start dining 30 minutes before sunset.

The main course is significantly larger than a typical tasting menu course so plan that in your ordering process. Also, the number of courses should correlate with your appetite (e.g., don't get the 7-course option unless you are REALLY hungry).

Also, although set menus are the standard here, light appetites can save money and calories by asking for a 3 course meal with items taken from the rest of the set menus.

Juliane P, Head Chef @Dining on the Rocks at Dining on the Rocks, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Hello MD Wandering,

Thank you very much for your recent comments. The staff at Dining on the Rocks fully appreciate any and all comments. I personally welcome your comments regarding the skill and technique that makes Dining on the Rocks a dining destination restaurant.
I would like to add that in light of our extensive degustation menus, we pay particular attention to portion controls so guests may equally enjoy and manage their experience here with us at Dining on the Rocks.
I hope I get the chance to welcome you back personally to DOR.
Simon Volante