Ban Sabai Big Buddha Retreat & Spa
Amari Koh Samui(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$116
$103
Peace Resort(Bophut)(Great Value!)
$103
$76
Agoda.com
Dara Samui Beach Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$111
$68
  • Pool
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort(Choeng Mon)(Great Value!)
$299
$193
Agoda.com
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$197
$154
  • Pool
Bo Phut Resort & Spa(Bophut)(Great Value!)
$173
Nora Buri Resort & Spa(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
$154
$127
$686
$389
Agoda.com
Hansar Samui Resort(Bophut)(Great Value!)
$174
$150
The Tongsai Bay(Bophut)
$435
$217
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Just went to another day spa at Ban Sabai on Dec 28th. Do not remember how many times I have been there...
I , my family and friends have been to Ban Sabai for day spa for so many times over the course of 10 years and it has always been outstanding ( I am from Hong Kong and fly to Samui at least 3 times a year! I do love Samui, lol) .I particularly like the "old charm" of the Thai wooden building. The building is 20 years old and undoubtedly need constant improvement .

The owner is a "take it easy" type of lady and so she does not aggressively promote the business and so not to get too busy for herself ( guess she has plenty of money for retirement anyways).

I never stayed over night there and so I cannot comment but I must say it is very hard to find a good floral bath in a 2-person wooden bath barrel anywhere in samui ! The massage therapists are the more experienced type ( at least 40 years old) and they know what they are doing.

Above all, it is the friendly staff that makes up to the old structure / facility and if you are looking for a traditional down to earth Thai hospitality, this is the place to find.

Stayed: December 2013
54Mat96, Manager at Ban Sabai Big Buddha Retreat & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you very much for your repeating visit at Ban Sabai Big Buddha. We will take your input and work on it. Hope to welcome you again at Ban Sabai Big Buddha.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I've just returned from a five-night stay at the Ban Sabai Big Buddha retreat and spa in Koh Samui, Thailand. I enjoyed my stay but, were I to return to Koh Samui, I'd probably stay somewhere else.

There are a lot of really great things about this retreat, so I'll start with the pros.

The retreat faces directly onto the beach and offers beautiful views of the ocean, particularly at sunset. It's secluded and incredibly - almost eerily - quiet. I only saw one other guest during my stay. There was also a stray dog called Cookie. We became very good friends.

The room was spacious, attractive and clean. A tasty breakfast was provided each morning, and the staff were friendly and helpful, and the reception is attended until 9 pm each evening. The wi-fi is reliable and fast. Tick.

It's not all roses, though.

Communication is a problem at the hotel. Jane's English is great but, on arrival, I was greeted by a different (albeit lovely) lady whose English was incredibly difficult to understand. Fair enough, too. Unfortunately, this led to some confusion, particularly around the payment of spa treatments and private taxis. It would be helpful were a written document prepared, indicating when guests are to pay for spa treatments, that a private taxi service is offered by the hotel and that payment is to be made directly to the driver. This may go some way to bridging the gap in communication.

The price of the spa treatments is also very expensive, even by Australian standards. A one-hour massage in the retreat is 900 baht. With health cover, I pay significantly less than that in Australia. Down the road, it's about 250 baht.

Also, I want to point out that a lot of the promotional material for this retreat - Trip Advisor, Hotels.com, Expedia, et cetera - indicate a large, outdoor pool on site. Indeed, please refer to the retreat's profile image on the Trip Advisor website. This pool ... *drumroll* ... does. not. exist.

I specifically asked about this during my stay. I felt kind of silly because ... there's clearly no pool, you know? I'm not sure where this promotional picture comes from. Ban Sabai should probably change this, hey ...

There *is* an incredibly small, tiled pond in the grounds of the retreat. It may once have been a plunge pool, but you'd be crazy to use it. Crazy. I figured it was purely decorative. It's green. With mosquitoes. Pretty ... but if I saw someone floating in it, I'd assume they were dead.

The retreat's location is also a bit difficult. It's sort of in the middle of nowhere. Google indicates a short walk to Fisherman's Village. Unfortunately, this is along a treacherous, jungle highway, necessitating the constant need for taxis to and from the retreat, which aren't cheap, again, even by Australian standards.

In conclusion, while there are a lot of good things about Ban Sabai, there's also room for improvement. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem staying here again; I just don't think I'd choose to.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank budafudawuda
Reviewed April 17, 2013

On my trip I required a room for just one night so looked for budget accomodation. I had originally planned to stay at another hotel but it was so disappointingly small and uncomfortable I left and walked to the Ban Sabai (not mentioning the other hotel's name as it's unfair as I didn't stay there and the manager didn't charge a cancellation fee).

When I asked whether a room was available and what the price was it turned out to be slightly cheaper than the room from the hotel I just left. This concerned me so I asked whether I could see the room excepting a box and a mattress on the floor, well, imagine my surprise in seeing a room about 3 times bigger with a bed twice as the one I abandoned.

Can't comment on the spa facilities as I never tried them, but they do seem to focus themselves as a spa rather than a hotel/resort and I did notice a few day guests.

There are cons such as the the rooms being dated, the pools of still water around the gardens do attract mosquitos and the bath tub felt a little fragile when standing in it.

Perhaps it was due to the exceptionally friendly staff, very polite and engaging, but
for all it's quirks (for some strange reason the cupboard is in the bathroom instead of the ample sized room) I enjoyed my short stay and thought it a bargain.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pk0
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Staying at Ban Sabai was an amazing experience, the staff are so warm and friendly and they ensured we were comfortable and happy. The gardens are beautiful and and well maintained and the location on Big Buddha Beach is perfect for a relaxing holiday. The buildings are authentic Thai architecture and the rooms are huge and inviting with authentic Thai furnishings. We stayed here for 6 days and enjoyed every moment, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was hands down one of the nicest, tranquil and relaxing hotels and spas on the island. It small size makes it feel very "homey" and the staff couldn't be any nicer and helpful. The spa treatments were 1st class. The room was extremely clean, spacious and suprisingly modern. Would highly recommend Ban Sabai Big Buddha!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple