“calheta beach hotel first for relaxation!”

Savoy Calheta Beach
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Calheta
Manchester, United Kingdom
“calheta beach hotel first for relaxation!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Clean rooms well presented public areas. Good choice of buffet breakfast however lunch and dinner very repetitive with mostly Pork and Fish dishes. no hot snacks as in other AIC hotels just sandwiches. No chips all week! Drink choices limited only one cocktail choice again not in others we have stayed in. No waiter service around pool area, slow service at bar and only the one bar so no choice if you just want a quiet drink. entertainment varied and ok mostly aimed at french and German who dominate.Brits get ignored.
I enjoyed it for the rest and relaxation. Went into Funchal on mini bus and enjoyed.
Big negative was no cutesy room provided had to shower and change in an open communal shower in the sauna! Not good for 4 star hotel at all!

Room Tip: we had mountain view and it looks onto a busy street! However quiter than sea views as the entertain...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sand023

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great value on all inclusive, we stayed for 10days. Hired a car at the airport and 50 minute drive , (fast drive like the locals!)to the hotel through lots of tunnels, the hotel was easy to find. Reception were very friendly and most helpful throughout our stay. They all spoke english, as did all restaurant and bar staff. Not many English holidaymakers. Car parking was not at hotel but very close by in multi-storey car park at shopping centre opposite, and was about 6 euros per day, but hotel provide weekly pass and billed to your room.
Hotel was very clean, refurbished but small repairs needed. Bedroom was spacious, may be a second indoor chair would have been good. Big bathroom, walk in huge shower. Excellent recycling bins splitting plastics, bottles , cans etc. fridge with the minbar. Very well stocked Supermarket just across the road if you needed anything.
Food very good, fish and big range of salads was excellent, although for red meat eaters not as varied a menu, with pork the most frequent. The chefs were very accommodating for special dietary needs, worth emailing in advance.
All inclusive drinks, included daily cocktail and different Madeiras. But did stop at 10pm.
Evening entertainment was varied and low key. I enjoyed a talk on whales and dolphins from a marine biologist, from one of local whale watching companies that go from the calheta marina.
Wifi in the reception area only , 5 euros for 6 hours. Also free use of computers in reception.
Sea view rooms are definitely worth the extra.
Outdoor Swimming pool had ample loungers, and heated small indoor pool was great for small children or for a short swim. The sea was warmer than outdoor pool, and the man made sandy beach was very safe for children too.
Various bars /restaurants around the marina, some with free wifi too. If you are in the bars after sunset, don't be surprised to hear strange noises as it was the Cory shearwater coming in to their nests on the cliffs directly behind!
This hotel was an excellent base to explore the island , mainly due to all the new network of roads and tunnels.
A great island for walking too - so many levada walks -there was something for all abilities.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor with sea view. Room516 had views of marina and sea, and had views on both sides as...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pacandpal13
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel very clean staff always helpful nice room with balcony
Soap dispenser did not work in bathroom or above the shower but we were given new bar of soap all comments on the surrounding area I
Would have to agree with Maureen M from Wakefield not forgetting
The weather was just great going left of front of hotel up a big hill
Towards police station opposite side near the church there is a Madeira
Cake factory you can go and sample if you can manage a few stone steps that we did not too tired after the hill .

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cledwen S
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

This is a nice friendly hotel my room was very clean good,our holiday was made even better by Nelson who we hired for taxing us about he was not expensive and took us all over the island he was a great guide and was very informative he parks his taxi out side of hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Hilary P
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here end of Feb and couldn't fault anything. Very helpful reception staff the places was clean and food excellent. There is a nice pool which I think was 20m so swimming rather than floating was feasible but the sea is just about the same temp and safe. We had an all inclusive package and it most certainly was, hardly spent anything all week because they provided sandwiches for lunch when we were out walking. Hope to return later in the year.

Room Tip: Through the travel agent we were given an upgraded mountain view but this is effectively at the bac...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Stuart T
Balsta, Sweden
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I am disappointed with the room, instead of room with sea view and balcony, i was handed a small room in basement with a view to entrance of a parking garage and busy street.
After discussion with reception I was told no rooms where available as booked, we have to stay at the basement room until next day. Calheta beach hotel is kind of out in nowhere so we decide to stay in the basement room for the night.
I am not going to stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in basement. Check the rooms you have booked.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rolf A
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with my husband to have a short and restful break.

Before our booking I asked for prices, they quoted me about 45% more than the prices we saw on the internet.

After doing my booking online, I emailed them and specifically asked for a very quiet room with a double bed. We wanted to stay most part of the time in the hotel to rest and to benefit of their facilities.

The room they gave us had a sea view (thank you for the upgrade, this was the only good thing) 2 singles beds, with 2 hard mattresses and a connecting door.
The room was just above reception near stairs and lifts where we could easily hear people walking and talking around. Our nightmare started in the afternoon when in the room connected to ours, the maintenance staff where working and started to use what I guess was a drill.

Reception was immediately contacted about this tremendous noise but I had to wait another 30 minutes. Meanwhile during this half an hour I was suggested to have an apartment to have 'some rest', which I rejected.
During the night was also impossible to sleep as we could hear from my room the music entertainment in the bar. And I just asked for a quiet room...

The pool bar in the afternoon was empty, no atmosphere and no service as well. I think the waiter didn't see us...

The buffet at dinner is very expensive with poor quality. It is worth to the all the majority of guests who book the 'all inclusive' package. When you pay directly 45€ for a meal you expect to have a good range of food. Very limited choice on the main course and desserts.

The next morning we woke up early had breakfast and decided to leave immediately the hotel.
I have stayed in some hotels in Madeira but never had such a bad experience as in here. The Management was contacted regarding these issues, they promise they would take in consideration my complaints to avoid future situations.

Honestly, it was a waste of money and time the night I stayed here, it completely ruined our short break. They said next time I would return, these problems wouldn't occur but the thing is: Unfortunately our experience was so bad that we don't make plans to return. . .They gave me any reasons for so, and I would prefer to pay for a place where I felt welcomed, good and relaxed!

Room Tip: Higher floors perhaps have less noise
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank frfp1984
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calheta
Savoy Saccharum
Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa
Enotel Lido Madeira
Enotel Lido Madeira
#22 of 86 in Funchal

Been to Savoy Calheta Beach? Share your experiences!