“Melbourne in Cairns!”
Review of The Edge Food Store - CLOSED

The Edge Food Store
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: The locals favorite coffee & breakfast/lunch hot spot open 7 days, with Genovese Coffee and Full Chef house-made menu. A foodie haven with deli & unique gourmet products from all fine food regions of Australian. Fully licensed. Sensational Catering and take home meals. Alfresco dining as well as air conditioned comfort amongst the array of delicious goodies packed on the shelves. Special dietary requirements catered for.
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We love this little cafe tucked away in Edge hill a lovely little suburb of Cairns walking distance from the famous botanical gardens! We often stop by for a bite to eat, a great cup of coffee or some delicious gourmet treats to take home, it's great to have a lovely little place to buy all the yummy bits that I miss from Melbourne! :)

Loren27, Owner at The Edge Food Store, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Thanks for the fabulous review Friday1980
As a born and breed Melbourian I initially based our cafe on the trendy Melbourne cafe scene. Now however it has taken on its own identity only to be impressing the Melbourne visitors who come in to our shop. We are so glad you enjoy the "Edge" experience, we appreciate your positive comments and just love it when people appreciate what we offer and do at The Edge Food Store.
Thanks again, kindest regards Loren Gillison (Co-Owner)

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Went there for lunch today. I love the idea of a gourmet food store with a cafe. However, first impression was poor, the waitresses there (and one in particular) were distinctly unfriendly and really didn't seem to want to be there.

The cafe was situated right next to a main road, and the alfresco area is literally right next to the road. Indoor sittings are definitely quieter and air-conditioned.

Food selection is a nice mix of made to order menu items and pre-made sandwiches and salads in the display cabinet. As mentioned in previous reviews, it was definitely on the expensive side, both in terms of quality and quantity. A sandwich for $12 without salad/ chips, albeit with nice and fresh ingredients; whether it was good value it's for up each person to judge for him/herself.

My flat white was quite good in terms of strength and quality, but the milk component needs a bit more work as it was very flat even for flat white.

Food quality is definitely average-above average, but my personal opinion was it wasn't worth the price, esp in the context of very average and unfriendly wait staff. I personally won't be going back or recommend it to anyone I know. There are better cafes in the area, some of which have already been mentioned in previous posts.

Hello Soulighter
Thank you for this review and alerting us to your unpleastant experience at our cafe. As we have previously discussed we have ascertained the team member involved and appropriate actions have been taken to ensure that this will never occur again. In fact this review has served as a pleasant reminder to all team members just how important our service is and that the only way to approach our customers is with a happy, helpful and professional manner at ALL times. Luckily we have an excellent team who all understand that we are only as strong as our weakest team member. Thank you again, your review was invaluable, especially for one team member in particular.
Kind regards Loren Gillison (Co-owner)

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This one has been opened for many years and is a locals favorite.
Tip they do have a wine list but its kept quite.
We recommend lunch

Hi TravelingWilburys11 (love the name)
Thank you for your great comments. Yes we are LICENCED - SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!
We are in our 10th year and love doing what we do and that people like you also love and appreciate The Edge Food Store. Thanks again for spreading the word about our cafe.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've had coffee here for over the past 9 years but for the past 6 months I've also been going for the occasional breakfast or lunch. I have never been disappointed with the coffee or food. The service has always been good, however, I feel that lately it has been exceptional - staff are professional but also friendly. I love the huge choice on the menu that appears to cater for a wide range of tastes/requirements as well as the gourmet deli products both savoury and sweet.

My 10-year-old son will always order the pancakes with maple syrup and ice-cream, while I will often ask for bacon, eggs, mushrooms and ciabatta. For lunch I've had different salads which normally are something I never order elsewhere but here they always sound so appealing, and end up looking and tasting amazing. I also enjoy browsing all the other food products inside and I especially love Christmas time here when the store offers puddings, cakes and gingerbread houses amongst many other specialty items. It's been a good place to find gifts for people too, whether its Christmas or any other event.

The atmosphere both inside and out is fantastic regardless of if it's busy or quiet - both provide a unique feel - and I can't say that I've been anywhere else in cairns that offers such an inviting area, along with excellent quality food and coffee paired with very good service. It may be considered pricey to some but the fact that I can walk away feeling like this place has made my day makes it all worth it! I appreciate being able to have a consistently good cappuccino and overall experience and that's what always makes me return.

Hi dandg6
Well thank you for such a fabulously glowing review!!! I am so happy and greatful that you have put into words your very positive experience of our cafe. We love doing what we do and that you appreciate it makes it all worth while. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Situated near the roundabout in Edge Hill The Edge is a gourmet cafe and store. If you like the David Jones food hall experience then this is a mini version with lots of expensive goodies for sale. Coffee was good, chai latte made with tea leaves in a pot was fine. Olive bread toasty was great but at $8 for one slice not cheap. Organic fruit bread was good too. Not a cheap breakfast but food was worth the visit.

Hello KimleyCairns
Thank you for reviewing out cafe, Wow - the reference to David Jones food Hall is a great accolade :)
We take pride in having our chefs use the freshest and best quality produce to give you the best possible product to enjoy and experience excellent quality and value. We make 95% of all our menu from scratch (we source breads and some cakes from excellent bakeries around Cairns). I am glad that you thought it was worth the visit and hope to see you again soon.
Thank you again for the review.