“An uncomfortable night!”

Countryman Inn
Kent, England
“An uncomfortable night!”
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Stayed for one night whilst on business. First impressions when I pulled up in the car was that the front of the property looked a bit run down. Inside was quite a bit better, with a comfortabe feel with bar stools, mixed tables, and sofas.

I was shown to my room, which at £75 per night was a real let down. Room 4 is a good sized room with ensuite. The ceiling to the main bedroom has a huge brown stain presumably from a water leak. There were bedside lamps a wall mounted 14'' tv but NO alarm clock or radio alarm. The bathroom was very poor; carpets a vanity unit made from an old kitchen work surface and a small shower cubicle. The shower head itself was held together with selotape and elastic bands - it looked awful and came with the usual mass of cilicon seal and brown watermark on the pale pink carpet where the shower tray had previsouly leaked. The bed itself was so uncomfortable that I woke up in the night with an extremely bad aching back and couldn't get back to sleep. The mattress was very thin to the point that when you sat on it you culd feel the board underneath it. When you rolled over the springs pinged making all sorts of strange noises. If you are going to the hotel for a weekend of passion forget it - this bed will kill the passion straight away - the noise would be horrendous!

I ventured down to the bar and was quickly served. I'd imagine that in the summer the bar is probably overrun with tourists - when I visited it had a few locals but they weren't the friendliest of groups - not rough just a bitup themselves. I ate in the restaurant - you had an 'a la carte' menu or the carvery. I went for the carvery and had rib of beef with roast potatoes and veg. The meal was excellent and the waitress and service were great too! I had a cooked breakfast the next morning which was the best I've ever had away from home - actually it probaly bettered what I have at home, Extra thick bacon, good sausage, mushrooms and two fried eggs both cooked perfectly with a runny yolk and no crispy edges.

I would certainly visit again just for the food but Ids stay elsewhere. The room was poor the bed shocking and the bathroom was of a very poor standard when you consider it cost £75.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We spent just one night here before exploring Purbeck the next day. We've stayed in lots of hotels and are quite fussy. If you're looking for a country pub with nice cask ales, a decent menu and clean comfortable rooms, this is it. They happily moved us to a room with a bath (as opposed to shower) even though we weren't really making an issue of it. My cold meat platter was excellent with real chips and home cooked beef, ham and chicken and my wife's fish was a cut or 2 above the usual frozen stuff. The cooked breakfast - served nice and late as we asked without hesitation - was one of the best I've had away from home. Only minor problem was that the room we swapped to (a family room) was directly above the gents loo and it kept auto-flushing (noisily) til midnight, but it does stop then and after that very peaceful, no noise from other guests, maids, traffic, cockerels, sheep, barking dogs or invading aliens. We had wanted to stay 2 nights but they were full the second night - I wish we had got the 2nd night. I would stay again without hesitation and recommend it to anyone. The bar and dining area are nice and big so even if you have children no problem (they'll like the big garden and the budgies).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed October 3, 2008

A lovely pub with lots of character, good beers. Accommodation is clean and most acceptable, beds although looked small matressess were very comfortable. Room had ironing board, tea/coffee, a couple of bottles of water, controlable heaters (the previous night we had been boiled in a different hotel). Breakfast was cooked to order and they were happy to deviated from the listings on the breakfast menu - very nice.

The main reason we recommend and would definately go back was the fact they were so accommodating. We had asked if there was wi-fi in the rooms (the lady was unsure) and when we arrived it was available in one of the public areas which we used absolutely no problem at all, by the time we got back to the room later on they had set it up - that really is customer service above and beyond. Full marks and many thanks - it was greatly appreciated.

• Liked — Very clean and fresh, quiet room, lovely pub, excellent service
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Knighton
#3 of 13 in West Lulworth
Kemps Country House
Kemps Country House
#1 of 2 in East Stoke

Been to Countryman Inn? Share your experiences!