“Peaceful Sanctuary”
Review of Eden Atenas

Eden Atenas
Ranked #2 of 7 Atenas B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We spent 3 days in Atenas in June 2014 and very much enjoyed our stay at Eden Atenas. The grounds are amazing but even better were the ample breakfasts served by our hosts Jan and Avtar. Jan is an amazing cook, we came away feeling full until well after lunch. One thing I must mention is the bed and linens. Comfortable beds are hard to come by in Costa Rica and for my husband who has a bad back our 21 days in Costa Rica could, at times, be quite uncomfortable for him. Eden Atenas has extremely comfortable beds and the linens felt like silk, even though they were cotton. We stayed in a guest room and the cleanliness was a 10. Jan and Avtar are from Vancouver, Canada and have a very laid back and easy way about them. Being the "rainy season" it was slower and so got to chat a lot with both of them and they were very friendly answering all our questions. Their dog Max became our adopted baby and slept outside our room most of the time. This property gave us the peace and quite we were looking for on the last leg of our trip. Thanks Jan and Avtar!!

Room Tip: Wifi is better in rooms overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Eden Atenas

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Part of me wants to keep Eden Atenas as my own little secret, but Jan and Avtar deserve all the praise in the world for what they offer in this beautiful, tranquil little piece of paradise. From the gorgeous, big rooms to the amazing, customized meals, the value for money at Eden Atenas is absolutely incredible, and Jan and Avtar are wonderful hosts, making you feel truly cared for and welcomed.

As someone with a lot of special dietary needs, traveling can be a huge challenge, and I am very happy if I can find something that I can eat, never mind if it's good or not. Staying at Eden was the only time on my trip when I was able to not only stop worrying about food, but actually thoroughly enjoy it in a way that I haven't experienced when eating out in many years. Jan is one of the best cooks I've ever met (actually I think she may be the best), and I was astounded every day by the unbelievably delicious, creative and generous meals she created for me. A horticulturalist, she grows a lot of the fruit and vegetables herself, and in every meal she included all kinds of pricey alternative ingredients like flax, chia, gluten-free pasta, coconut oil, etc.

The grounds and rooms are beautiful, spacious and immaculately maintained, and the whole property has a feeling of almost absurd abundance about it. Highly recommended. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We just finished 3 nights at Eden Atenas and had a wonderful experience. Our hosts made every effort to make our stay the best possible. Our room was spacious, with a full kitchen and a wonderful deck that looks out over a river canyon, lush with native foliage. Even if we had had no view, the gardens inside are hard to describe. Jan and Avtar are superb gardeners and the grounds are lush and beautiful. Full of birds and flowering plants of all kinds. Went swimming in the pool, walked the grounds, lay in the hammock, chatted with hosts, took a long nap, you get the idea…….. As everyone has said, they make a great breakfast, and generally do a fine job. We had no worries leaving our stuff and Sat. night we came back kind of late, and it was fine and they were very nice even though we might have made a tiny bit of noise coming in…….sorry bout that J and A! You were very kind to us the whole time. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Our room was great. It was an apartment with a large bed and another separate bedroom. Since it was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Here's why:
The basics: Great rooms, idyllic location, stable and high quality wifi (a rarity in CR), the best breakfasts I've ever encountered, a great pool, 2 lovely dogs.

But those individual bits don't capture the whole that Avtar and Jan have created here. They have created an environment where you feel cared for, afforded your own space, where you have two wonderfully spirited and knowledgeable hosts accessible to you at all times. Jan is a fantastically open spirit, with seemingly boundless kindness and creativity. Avtar is an absolute colossus of a thinker: able to be profoundly thought-provoking and profoundly funny all in the same sentence. The two together make for a perfect environment of transformation. The kind of thing that a stay in paradise is all about.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Eden Atenas in January 2014. We originally planned to begin and end our trip in Atenas, but ended up staying in south Costa Rica at the end of our trip for a few more days than originally expected. Jan was wonderful and we cannot recommend her and Eden Atenas enough. On our 2 week trip, we stayed at a few other B&B's and this was BY FAR our favorite. The breakfast served at the others did not even come close to Jan's. It was wonderful. The property is gorgeous and well kept. The rooms are all up to date and very clean. We will definitely be coming back to Atenas and will be staying at Eden Atenas again. Don't hesitate in booking at Eden Atenas!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saints877
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Enjoying the clean pool, great room and the kind and generous hosts,Jan and Avtar. Jan gives us a splendid variety of home made breakfasts each morning and provides me with an early cup of coffee that I take to her beautiful garden to watch the sun come up. I love the rocking chairs, poolside lounges and the well behaved dogs. Getting out of the hustle and bustle of San Jose and into the mountain air is such a relief. Nearby Atenas has several nice restaurants and a big grocery store so you can easily get what you need. Poas Volcano and La Paz waterfall are easy day trips from Eden .

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Our sixth visit to Costa Rica and have travelled the entire country, this time we decided to check out the small town of Atenas. What a surprise to find such lovely people opening their hearts and home to share this beautiful property with the world. Jan and her husband Avtar have that way of making you feel like family, sharing stimulating conversation with Avtar that can go on for hours and enjoying the creative, over the top breakfasts that Jan makes every morning. We stayed for 5 nights exploring the surrounding town, attending a Expat fund raising chili cook off with the proceeds going to the local orphanage, and just checking out the area. But mostly we couldn't remove ourselves from the beauty of the property enjoying the pool and rancho to relax and listen to the nature sounds and sights. We bought some groceries and used the communal kitchen in the rancho to create our own delicious dinners with Jan offering anything we might need to complete our meals. The rooms are very clean, modern and quite spacious. There really is NOTHING I can say that this B & B needed to make our stay any better, they have really done a great job at creating the perfect atmosphere for anyone who needs to relax and enjoy themselves. Oh and Jan also accommodates dietary requests. Gluten free, dairy free whatever your requests she goes above the bar to meet and excel anyones dietary needs. We felt sad when we were leaving, saying goodbye was hard to do.

Room Tip: The Monkey room is facing the main garden with the best views of the propery.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atenas
Hotel Colinas del Sol
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Vista Atenas Bed & Breakfast

Been to Eden Atenas? Share your experiences!