“We will return to this very special spot!”
Review of Eden Atenas

Eden Atenas
Ranked #2 of 7 Atenas B&B and Inns
Newton, Massachusetts
“We will return to this very special spot!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We spent three days at Eden Atenas and now have booked several more days to spend there on this Costa Rican visit. Jan and Atvar's place is lovely, restful, beautiful and wonderful - full in every way. Jan's breakfasts were fabulous - creative, delicious and aesthetically a joy. Much of the fruit and vegetables is grown on their land. We also had dinners there which were wonderful. Both Avtar and Jan were helpful and personable, offering their time and suggestions. The land itself is filled with special spots to visit - the orchid garden, the greenhouse, the large palm which feeds the birds early in the morning and in the early evening are a few. We loved being at Eden Atenas and we loved the fact that they are within driving distance of many of the wonders of Costa Rica. it is a very restful oasis that offered us, as guests, rich nourishment of every kind.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Foxboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband, college-aged daughter, and I recently spent four delightful nights in the charming bed & breakfast known as "Eden Atenas." Our hosts - Jan and Avtar originally from Canada - graciously provided us an experience which we will never forget: delicious and bountiful breakfasts, quiet evenings watching the stars from our treetop balcony, tours of the lush garden, and interesting insights about living and working in Costa Rica. We greatly enjoyed our comfortable rooms (tastefully decorated with original paintings by local artists), the inviting swimming pool, and the fully-equipped "Rancho." Best yet: Eden Atenas was very convenient for our exploration of the Central Highlands area and our constant visits to the town of Atenas. It was also advantageous to stay within 45 minutes of the international airport so that we could deliver one of my daughter's friends to the airport pre-dawn one morning. (When Jan learned we could not enjoy breakfast on the patio that morning, she packed us a huge bagged lunch and woke up early to give it to us.) I would recommend Eden to anyone wishing to spend a few days in paradise with warm and lovely people.

Room Tip: This little bed and breakfast only has a few rooms. All of them have a spectacular view of the lush...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Irene B
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Eden Atenas is a great place to stay right outside of San Jose. Great price, great breakfast and a beautiful property! Nice to talk to owners about Costa Rica, as they shared some ideas of places to go.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, California
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We enjoyed the room.the lush tropical setting, the delicious breakfast, our gracious hosts and their friendly dogs.it was a wonderful beginning and highlight of our trip.would recommend to everyone wanting to stay near San Jose but feel like their in their own oasis.

• Stayed November 2013
Montreal
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Myself, my wife and our 5 month old baby stayed at Eden Atenas for 3 nights, leaving with an overwhelming feeling of having found a second home in Costa Rica.

Upon our arrival, travel weary from a long trip with a baby, Jan and Avtar made us for at home immediately as we settled in. Before long, Jan was kind enough to offer us a fruit plate, with delicious home made hummus and crackers. She then went well beyond kindness and offered us a lovely candlelit dinner for my wife and I. We were both exhausted from our journey and this unexpected kind offer could not have come at a better time.

Which leads me to the setting. Eden Atenas really is a garden of Eden in the Costa Rican mountains. You will find it difficult to leave as the house and gardens are so comfortable and relaxing.

For breakfast, Jan serves up an unbelievable feast of local delights (including goodies from the garden). It will be one of the best B&B breaskfasts you will find, in an unbeatable setting. Jan was also very accommodating to my wife's eating restrictions (no dairy or gluten), which is always very appreciated when travelling.

The guesthouse is also very well located, only 30 minutes drive from SJO airport. If I fly to/from SJO again, I will definitely stay here for at least a night or two before departure / after arrival. I will also highly recommend this to friends traveling in the region.

Thanks Jan and Avtar, we hope to spend time at your lovely home again one day soon.

Room Tip: All rooms looked great!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aus2Montreal
Atenas, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 14, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay to immerse yourself in a tropical paradise. During my stay Sue was out of the country so Avtar was in charge of everything. He did a superb job with preparing and serving delicious breakfasts, making sure I was comfortable and attending to my needs. He's also an interesting person to talk with. My room was comfortable and quiet and was adorned with a large bouquet of fresh flowers when I arrived. I always felt safe with Max, their male German Shepard, sleeping outside my door. I highly recommend Eden Atenas to everyone wanting to stay somewhere special in Costa Rica!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We made our way to Eden Atenas right from the San Jose airport, and night had already fallen by then. Unfortunately we did not get to meet the owners of the establishment, but were greeted with open arms by Sue-Zen who herself was an incredible host. The rooms were very comfortable and really gave the "eco" feel you want to be greeted with when arriving in Costa Rica. Upon waking up to sunny morning, the views were breathtaking. We strolled in the large, colorful garden and went for a dip in the pool prior to our complementary breakfast which consisted of fresh fruit and home-made bread, amazing!! I would certainly recommend Eden Atenas to anyone looking to stay in that area.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the top floor, the views from the bed when waking up in the morning are the best way...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atenas
Hotel Colinas del Sol
Hotel La Rosa de America
#4 of 26 in Alajuela
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and Nature Reserve
Hotel Boutique Villa Toscana

Been to Eden Atenas? Share your experiences!