“Beyond all our expectations”
Review of Eden Atenas

Eden Atenas
Ranked #2 of 7 Atenas B&B and Inns
Brussels, Belgium
“Beyond all our expectations”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

As soon as we arrived at Eden Atenas, we knew we had made the right choice. During more than 3 weeks travelling throughout Costa Rica, we stayed at this wonderful bed and breakfast 3 times for a total of 8 nights, including our last 2 nights.

The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. Jan and Avtar have paid attention to every detail, including lovely fresh flowers by the bedside. Each room has a high quality shower and toilet en-suite. The rooms open onto a wide balcony with rocking chairs and a hammock overlooking a magical garden designed to attract exotic butterflies and birds, as well as being the source of almost all the food and drink. In addition there is a large covered terrace with panoramic views next to the swimming pool, which is available for use at any time.

Breakfast is fit for royalty! It is difficult to find words adequate to describe this feast to start your day. The quality and variety of fruits from the garden, freshly baked breads and cakes or hot food is superb. The coffee is grown and roasted locally by the Atenas Coffee Growers Cooperative.

You will be hard pressed to find better value for money. We cannot recommend Eden Atenas highly enough.

Room Tip: 2 rooms at the front are best but the other two are also good and if you are on a budget the latter...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

If you are considering a trip to Costa Rica, a stay at Eden Atenas should be included on your list of places to stay. Eden Atenas is everything the reviews say that it is. This B&B is located 30 - 45 minutes from the San Jose airport (SJO),(depending on traffic), so when you fly into the country arrange to have Jan pick you up at the airport. If you have never been to Costa Rica, or do not speak Spanish, this will make things far easier for you. Jan will go out of her way to meet you at the airport, the bus station, or do what-ever-it-takes to help you arrive safely at Eden Atenas. She went way out of her way, (many emails with suggestions and directions) to help us get from San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua, by Ticabus, without a working telephone, to the Palmares, Costa Rica bus drop off. When we got off the bus and saw her standing there to greet us, a wave of relief swept over us. This was just the beginning of our wonderful 7 day stay. When we arrived at Eden Atenas it was late in the afternoon, so Jan took us on a short tour of the town and then made us a great dinner. The next morning, we sat down to the most amazing breakfast! A large fruit plate adorned with flower petals, locally grown coffee, (there is a coffee farm next door), home made bread, spinach quiche, and fresh fruit juice. And every morning after that, for breakfast, Jan worked hard to surprise us with something new. (Ask for the baked french toast - it was the best sweet bread I have ever tasted!!!) The view of the garden from the outside breakfast table is beautiful - the butterflies swirling around the nearby flowers make you feel that you truly are in some type of wonderland. The room was clean, and the construction for the room finish is new. The shower water is always hot. The view from the upper level balcony allows you to look over the pool area, and the gardens. There are many different chairs to sit in and watch the garden or read a book, sun or shade. The nights were cool and quiet, you will not need A/C - the temperature was just right. This place was well worth the $55/night that we paid for the room including breakfast. We did have to pay a little more for each dinner, but they were great and well worth the small cost. Jan is such a good cook! Jan even brought a local massage guy to the B&B, for a great massage. If we ever return to Costa Rica, I sure hope Jan and Avtar are running Eden Atenas - we would not want to stay any place else. Thank you, Jan and Avtar, for making our Costa Rica stay a memorable time.

Room Tip: As far as I can tell all the rooms are located on the upper level and share the same balcony view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Eden Atenas IS paradise! It has a wonderful community of people living there and passing through and I absolutely loved being there. I was completely at home and felt nourished, relaxed and very well cared for. I couldn't have wished for a better experience. Jan and Avtar are incredible hosts, welcoming, attentive, generous, respectful, great company, extremely helpful and know lots about Costa Rica and further afield. They helped me enormously to organise the next part of my trip, which I'm extremely grateful for.

Personally I'm on a journey of discovery about myself, so it was great to be able to talk openly about that, to receive their wisdom and to connect in a meaningful way. And I got to lead a trance dance outside on their rancho, which was awesome - it's a beautiful space for this sort of thing.

If you simply want a stunning place to chill out, this is perfect for that too. My room was peaceful, clean and beautifully decorated, the garden is a natural work of art, there are lots of quiet spots to relax or meditate, the pool is blissful (they've mastered its cleaning so you can enjoy it without smelling of chlorine or your skin drying out - you really do notice the difference), breakfast is sensational and includes fruit picked from the garden. You can't get better than that!

I could rave on about my time here, it's a blessing to experience something quite so special and I look forward to returning one day. If you're coming to Costa Rica I'd highly recommend staying and becoming part of the Eden Atenas community, whether it's for one night, one week or longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Eden Atenas is an amazingly beautiful and incredibly peaceful paradise, held by beautiful and bright souls, who make life the gift of doing what you love to do at any moment. Between the lush colorful gardens, the tranquil views of the hills, the delicious healthy food, the intriguing and often hilarious conversations, the comfy deluxe bedrooms, and the refreshing whimsical winds, there's only room left for peace, love and serenity!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MagickCicle
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I couldn't have been more pleased! They have made an oasis within a paradise! Everything is clean and they have a wonderful selection of fruit and vegetables growing on the property to eat. Of course there's the local coffee. It is important to me to be able to find my own space to meditate and I found several places on the property to do so.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DBommarito
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Great place with very nice people and the best breakfast ever!! I defenately recommend this place. Jan and Avtar know a lot about flora and fauna and can perfectly advise you were to ho in Costa Rica or other countries in middle america.

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you're looking for a restful and enlightening base for your stay in Costa Rica, I would highly recommend staying here.At the geographic center of Atenas, Alajuela, Eden Atenas truly embodies the peaceful center of the boasted "best climate on earth".

From the relaxing poolside, to the beautiful greenhouse, the aesthetics and energy that surrounds this place are impeccable. The food was made with care and attention, the rooms were elegantly decorated and very pleasant, and the live-in hosts were delightful. I felt welcome and comfortable for the length of my stay at Eden Atenas, and I couldn't picture myself enjoying a vacation experience more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atenas
Hotel Colinas del Sol
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
The Retreat Costa Rica
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and Nature Reserve
Vista Atenas Bed & Breakfast

Been to Eden Atenas? Share your experiences!