“It's REALLY REALLY Mexican Food!”
Review of Jalapenos

Jalapenos
Ranked #13 of 57 Restaurants in Atenas
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I grew up in southern California, lived for years in Oregon and LOVE Mexican food. My favorite is usually off of trailers because of the authentic flavors. Since moving to Costa Rica I had pretty much given up on good Tex Mex as a regular thing. But NOW, each trip to San Jose/Alajuela is an excuse to go to Jalapenos Central. Norman and his staff provide an very very good meal at a ridiculously low price and the BEST customer service of any restaurant I've been to recently. It aint faincy, but it is fresh, delicious, and full of traditional flavors and textures.
Do not miss the Sopa Azteca (sometimes called Tortilla Soup in other places), it is the BEST I've ever tasted. Also, LOVE the hot sauce they serve on the side. Lastly, the chicken enchilada is is simple but delicious!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Close to home and nice local feel. Menu is great. Have tried their ceviche, margaritas, bloody mary (spicy) and lobster. Everything was quite nice. My only recommendation is to improve on their music selection. It was electronica (is that the name of it?). Consistent , repeating beat, and was a little bit loud. Service was good.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I eat at Jalapenos often and we have never had reason to complain. The food is good and the waitress is a sweetheart.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stopped here for our first meal in Costa Rica. After a horrible rental car experience (DO NOT RENT FROM EUROPCAR!!) we wanted to get out of San Jose as quickly as possible and get to Manuel Antonio before dark. We stopped here out of the blue, and I ordered Casado Vegetariano. Even though it was not on the menu, they had no problem preparing it for me, and it was delicious. I agree with the other reviewer about the music. It was some kind of mix tape that sounded like someone was scanning 70s and 80s radio stations, but all remixed to some kind of techno beat. Good food, though, and good service.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We loved the food here. Simple but absolutely delicious. The service was good unfortunately our Spanish is terrible and the waitress did not know much English. We did fine except for the wine, which we always like good wine. We asked about bottles and she could only tells she had red and white. Found out when we went up to pay they had a good selection of bottles of wine. Now we know for next time. The biggest complaint was the music. Way too loud and all Electronica stuff. with the wonderful tropical setting they should have Latin music. We will go back for sure.