“El Cafetal”

Ranked #6 of 8 Atenas B&B and Inns
Western Maryland
“El Cafetal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at El Cafetal for one night as it was close to the airport and we were looking for something nice for the last nights stay. The property is lovely and lush, but the tranquility is broken by frequent big trucks and horns beeping from the road. As in a previous review, the accomodations that had been reserved for the party travelling with us was given to someone else. In this case, they were given another room, but it did not have enough beds. They were told they could use another room's bed, but after lugging it themselves to their room, had to lug it back again themselves in order to accomodate another party. It was observed after the bed was moved that the cleanliness of the room was below standands with dirt and dead bugs being left behind. We have stayed in CR many times so insects/ants are a given, so for me to write about it says something...Our room was on the lower level near the pool and if you are looking for privacy this is not the place. The room was mostly windows, which typically would be welcome if there was privacy, but without closing the curtains, which defeats the purpose of the windows, any one walking by or up the path could see and hear. Several screens were broken, including the sliding door, so thankfully this area is known for its pleasant climate because there is no AC and now no breeze. There are high ceilings and a fan, which are nice except for the fact that at the top of the ceiling it is open with only a screen to the rooms next to you and you can hear EVERYTHING! THe door to the room is a sliding glass door and very difficult to lock from the outside. The bathroom is small and open to the bedroom at the shower with only a glass wall approx. 5 ft high. Again no privacy. We travel alot and I have never seen anything like that design before. I have been in outdoor showers with more privacy. I can live with the room design, but regarding cleanliness the back of the sink and the back of the toilet appeared as if it had not been cleaned in some time. I had to clean the toilet with antibacterial wipes and travel lysol and it was apparent it had not had a good cleaning in some time. THe nightstands in the room were also dusty and there were cobwebs from the lamps to the ceiling. Let me remind you about the what I said about insects in CR. I have seen some very large spiders, but this web had been in the making for some time and I have never seen that in any accomodations I have stayed at in CR to date. When the manager was asked to please provide something with which to take care of the webs (on both sides of the bed) he was responsive and personaly came to take care of it. When he touched the lamps with his cleaning rag, a dust cloud erupted. The bed was large with worn thin sheets. In the morning, I was looking forward to breakfast buffet, but was disappointed. Let me preface by saying that I am picky about what I eat, but I have never seen peas in runny eggs. Being that I am not a big breakfast eater, I opted for the banana bread. I grew up with fresh banana bread in my grandmas kitchen and this was not fresh and very dry. The fresh watermelon juice was the highlight. I just want to mention that the pool is beautiful, but please exercise caution particularly with children or anyone who does not swim. There is no shallow area. Off the steps on the far side it immediately drops with no warning. And there is an under water ledge that juts out and is just there. I truly do not like to make negative reviews and this is the first, but I feel it important that consumers be able to make informed decisions especially if looking for accomodations they will be staying in for more than just one night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank MountaineerFaith

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I come to this hotel very often. what most people here write, good and bad is true. It seems the owners are problematic. Was to visit the hotel with some friends, made the prepayment, but on day of arrival were blandly informed hotel "made a mistake" and had no rooms for us. We were to go somewhere else, to an upgraded hotel. In fact we were sent to a horrible nearby finca, full of bugs, cockroaches etc. no apology, no refund, so NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank lufthansi
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

Arrived at 10:00pm at night from the airport and found it w/o a problem - but only after I previously mapped out the GPS coordinates provided by an earlier tripadvisor reviewer. None-the-less, and in spite of the late hour, I was given a friendly "Welcome Home" by Romy, the owner-proprieter, shown our room and provided with the next morning's coffee and breakfast schedule.

The no-frills room was small, clean but comfortable and the private bath with shower was hot. The beds were clean and comfortable. We also had good internet access!

The morning surprised us with views across the valley and grounds with lush, colorful flowers and many singing birds. The excellant, all-you-can-eat breakfast served outdoors on the shaded back terrace, included plenty of fruit, the traditional rice and beans, and scrambled eggs with minced potatoes. Romy later presented us with additonal, freshly sliced mangoes with our second and third cup of coffee (it was so good, I bought a pound of whole beans!).

The pool was located just down the steps from the breakfast terrace - and surrounded by beautiful flowering vegetation. The water was very clean and surprisingly cool and refreshing. There are also maintained trails that lead through the forest to the river at the bottom of the valley. Great for birding!

I found Romy very relaxed, sociable and accomodating - you just had to ask him! He even helped us arrange a replacement vehicle with our car rental agent to address a door lock problem with the vehicle we arrived in. With much regret, due to other pre-arranged accomodations in the Arenal Volcano area, we had to leave. I will, however, definitely return on my next trip to the San Jose area and recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mike24830
Missoula, MT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

Ok let's start with the good. It is 25 minutes from the San Jose airport on the way to pacific beaches. Great location! The breakfast that comes with the stay is very good. The patio is surrounded by beautiful flowers and tucans. The pool is nice. The coffee is just ok...expecting better from a place surrounded by coffee. I think this place was really nice about 20 years ago, It has a mid century hollywood regency flair created in probably the late 70's... and it still is nice but it is in need of some updating and really needs a thorough cleaning. The bedding was old and scratchy, sinks were moldy, windows foggy and dirty. We didn't sleep well because our bed was infested with little sugar ants that crawled over us all night. As I walked out from a sleepless night I almost stepped on a very large cockroach outside our door. The proprietor just smiled and says "this is costa rica" after traveling through costa rica and panama, we found that this is what people say when their rooms are not cleaned on a daily basis. We stayed in some pretty rustic places on our trip but had not run into this kind of bug problem until Cafetal.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank HollyDeluca
Hamburg, Ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

The B&B has alot of potential, but obviously the owner does not care. The staff here is hard working and very nice, their boss(the owner) is just horrible.

He was nasty and rude at check in. Did not explain anything about the property or what time breakfast was. We arrived at night and it was dark out, we had to go down many stairs to our room and he did not show us a thing. I had no idea where I was or if I needed anything, how to get help. There are no phones in the room.

There were no towels or soap in our room. No mattress pads on the bed. Ants everywhere. Sheets are nasty and you can see thru them.

The website is very miss leading. No help with tours, for the local area and the restaurant is not open. I don't even think they roast their own coffee?

The breakfast was good. That is the only good thing I can say.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rwfa
La Canada Flintridge, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

This is really a great place, IF you want beauty and serenity. It's sitting on beautiful, well-maintained landscaped grounds, with a sparkling, spotless swimming pool, and the buildings are colorful and charming. When you step out of the car, there are literally CLOUDS of butterflies everywhere! We had never seen such a thing. Romy, the owner, is very accomodating, and you will feel very welcomed. You won't believe the incredible breakfasts that you are served, some of it grown on the property, and all of it handmade. There's even a parrot who sits outside the kitchen window, supervising and keeping an eye on things. Take a taxi into Atenas for dinner and sightseeing. Go!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Very friendly staff and quiet location. Vista del Valle is nearby and also beautiful, but more expensive. I like that the pool is in a separate area. The top room has a large semi-circle window view of the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atenas
Hotel Colinas del Sol
Hotel Boutique Villa Toscana
Orchid Tree
Orchid Tree
#3 of 8 in Atenas

Been to El Cafetal Inn? Share your experiences!