“Amazing Experience”

El Toledo Coffee Tour
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Atenas
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a sustainable organic coffee farm. We have been using sustainably organic practices for over fourteen years. Today we are happy to consider ourselves environmentalists first, and coffee farmers second.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We wanted to gain an inside look at the way coffee is grown and produced in Costa Rica so we headed to the El Toledo Coffee Tour in Atenas. The tour was recommended by a friend and it exceeded all expectations. Gabriel and his wife offered not only an amazing tour and day, but a warm family embrace that will not be long forgotten. We appreciated his candid explanations of organic farming, treating the environment with respect, and the economics behind coffee farming. He answered all of our questions with such poise and insight. He is a big picture thinker and has a way of communicating the innovative way of farming he practices while remaining extremely humble. The tour of the coffee fields was unforgettable- Gabriel even offered us fruit picked from trees along the way! We spent hours sipping coffee afterwards with Gabriel and his wife. What an amazing day- can't wait to go back!

1  Thank laurenv128

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our tour of El Toledo. This is a wonderful way to get to know Costa Rica. This is a family owned and operated business. Gabriel is very bright and has a lot to share about his families ideas about running a business that is in harmony with the environment and and all living things. It is an honor to have met him, his wife Yvette and his parents. The coffee is excellent. You will be treated to a tasting of all 3 roasts as well as homemade pastries. It is a beautiful hillside farm. Don't miss it. These are great people making delicious coffee.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of meeting this family earlier this year. I loved the tour and what the Calderon family stands for. Gabriel is passionate about what he is doing. Not only providing for his family, but giving back to the Universe. Awesome. I salute him and wish his the best. The tour was so much fun and educational. the food and atmosphere was even better. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We arrived at El Toledo during the rainy season of September 2012. I thought we were lost, but my boyfriend kept us going up the long windy road. And once we found El Toledo, we had an amazing time! It was just the two of us, Garbriel and his wife...and the couple chickens! We had a great tour through the farm and I learned so much about organic farming and the mission that they are on to produce amazing coffee without the harmful chemicals that can have long lasting effects on the workers and environment. We spent hours sipping coffee, nibbling on cookies and sharing our experiences. I highly recommend this place and their coffee!

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm volunteering in Costa Rica for a few months and took a tour of the El Toledo organic coffee farm on the advice of the volunteer coordinator here. This was definitely the most educational tour I have taken in many years! The people at the farm genuinely care about the community, environment and wildlife and they go into great detail about the how and why of their farming practices! I was so impressed with what I learned in a few hours that I've just requested to volunteer there for a couple of weeks so I can learn more! Great people, beautiful location and tasty coffee, you can't go wrong here!!

1  Thank gasupthejet