“Tour to Arenal Volcano”

Walter's Taxi and Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Atenas
More attraction details
Owner description: I offer personalized private tours anywhere in Costa Rica. Do you need a taxi, van, plane or boat? I am a licensed tour operator and commercial licensed pilot. I will be happy to help. I speak English. I grew up in Atenas, Costa Rica and have been providing my personal tours for over 10 years.
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Walter is a fabulous tour guide and driver. He was very attentive to explaining our route of travel and made our reservations for the venues we visited. He is knowledgeable about Costa Rica and knows his country very well. Not only does he do tours on land but he also does aerial tours out of the San Jose airport. He is well spoken in both English and Spanish, and is a coffee grower, selling his own brand of Fifth Generation Coffee. We highly recommend his services.

1  Thank Shirley L
Walter R, Public Relations Manager at Walter's Taxi and Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2014

Thanks for the kind words 'Shirley L'. I'm glad you enjoyed Walter's coffee. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have to admit, Walter was definitely one of the highlights of our trip, along with Luiz and Elias. We had thought we'd rent a car after seeing what it was like in town...so glad we didn't! Walter took us to La Paz and Poás and really enhanced our tour by explaining about coffee and other things along the way. He took the kids (20s-30s, not children) out to Jaco Beach, leaving us to spend a quiet day in the pool. He always chatted when we ran into him in town and when he wasn't available to taxi to/from dinner on short notice, he found someone else to make sure we had a ride. Walter's Taxi is worth every penny, especially after walking that hill in Roca Verde a couple of times! And don't miss getting some of his family's Fifth Generation Coffee!

We're so happy to read you had a fabulous time in Costa Rica, 'Sharon G'. You saw two awesome places in Costa Rica - the volcano and waterfalls! We miss seeing you around town. Be sure to come back and visit.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

My first time in Costa Rica I used several different methods of traveling around the country (plane, public transportation and personalized tour) and I have to say I prefer the personalized tours that Walter offers. He is a very hard working, safety conscious but most of all a fun tour guide! Because he has worked in the United States he knows what "North American" customers expect: on time/schedule, value for their money, and unique, individualized experiences. The nice thing is, you tell Walter what you'd like to experience and see and he always has suggestions and recommendations but lets you decide in the end. His van is comfortable, air conditioned (as are his taxis). I haven't flown with him (as I'm queasy when it comes to little planes). I have hired Walter with a group as small as 3 of us to a large group of intergenerational gang of 8. The best is when you see a fruit stand at the side of the road as you're heading to your destination and Walter will spontaneously offer to pull over so your group can explore and purchase. I would highly recommend you getting in contact with Walter's Taxi and Day Tours and explore your options.

Thanks 'PolyglotTraveller' for recommending our services. We're happy you enjoyed your visit to Costa Rica and taking tours with Walter's Taxi and Tours. Come back soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Walter's Taxi and Day Tours was one of the highlights of our trip. Walter and his other driver Michael were great. Michael picked our group of 4 up from the airport upon arrival and brought us back to the airport for our departure. Walter took our group of 4 on a day trip to Arenal. Walter was extremely knowledgable about Costa Rica and incredibly engaging. He brought us to a wonderful soda for breakfast. Our breakfast for four was $50 and consisted of rice and beans, seasoned chicken, scrambled eggs and ham, toast, and fresh pineapple and mango. The owners knew Walter and sent us on our way with a pineapple.

Walter drove us safely and comfortably in his clean, air-conditioned van to Arenal so we could zipline. On our drive back to Atenas, Walter took us to another great restaurant for dinner. We enjoyed wonderful food and conversation with Walter.

If you take one piece of advice from any of my reviews from Costa Rica it is please use Walter for your driving service. Walter provides a personal touch and once you use Walter you will become on of his friends. He treats everyone with such respect. When you need a cab to take you around Atenas you can call Walter and he will send a cab to you even if it is not him or Michael. He was truly a wonderful part of our vacation and I would recommend his services to my closest friends and family.

1  Thank Jeffrey G

Glad to read you enjoyed your tours in Costa Rica. Ziplining in Arenal is lots of fun. We're happy that you enjoyed your time with Walter.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This being my second trip to Costa Rica, the first driving a rental car with my wife four years ago, I decided to use Walter, who was referred by a friend, for this trip. Boy, was I glad I did. Although I just used his taxi service, I found he gives tours ALL OVER Costa Rica and, in addition to that, he has his private pilot's license so he can fly you anywhere too. I will definitely use Walter on future trips. He's different than the "big" companies in that he is a local who speaks English (lived in New Jersey for four years) and owns and operates all the tours himself. He is the real deal. Give him a try - you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank dolsenwi